The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

American Football Coaches Association executive director Todd Berry told ESPN on Friday that the increasingly active transfer portal -- not the mid-December signing period for high school players -- is driving discussion about possibly changing the recruiting calendar.

Discussions are underway with the Division I football oversight committee and the recruiting subcommittee on whether moving back the first signing period to early January would better serve the sport.

Agreed...

An argument could be made that G5 will make out the best but I think they'll lose too many of their best players so it'll be a wash for them. Might be the same for lower P5 but it'll be hard for the L-P5 to maintain their depth relative to who their competing against. I don't care about anyone's spin but it's going to be a killer for us to absorb losing players like Cole, Harris, Howard, Harper, Arku, Lutz and Benson in a single season.
Offer every single kid who has measurables and 3 years left.

Offer every single kid who has measurables and 3 years left.
Are we still winning? At this point i think the playoffs are a lock.

The fact that possibly only 45 out of 693 transfers in the portal, since 8/1, have committed to a new school tells me there are a lot of kids in that portal that aren't going to find a new home. Not every kid in the portal is P5 or G5 material.

Yep, a lot of kids - hundreds, in fact - just gave away their scholarships, and aren't going to find an empty seat when the music stops.

OK, so let's please stop pretending that we are experiencing this about the same as everyone else.

Yes, because having 14-15 guys leave, is dramatically different than say 10, 11, or 12.

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

Yes, because having 14-15 guys leave, is dramatically different than say 10, 11, or 12.

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

There is really no way to spin this as being a good thing. We have the most kids in the country that would rather take their chances getting no scholarship offer from another school than come back here. Think about that.

For the FBS, the current average is about 5 per school... We're about 3X average. Not good.

The fact that possibly only 45 out of 693 transfers in the portal, since 8/1, have committed to a new school tells me there are a lot of kids in that portal that aren't going to find a new home. Not every kid in the portal is P5 or G5 material.

That’s why I’ve been saying for a little while, I think in 2-3 years the portal becomes mostly a non issue.

Im trying to figure out why are people so surprised we have as many as we do. The players that are leaving want to play more or want to be at a school where the staff wont get potentially fired. On top of that they dont want to be back ups anymore. They have one free transfer. Why not leave?

Agreed...

An argument could be made that G5 will make out the best but I think they'll lose too many of their best players so it'll be a wash for them. Might be the same for lower P5 but it'll be hard for the L-P5 to maintain their depth relative to who they’re competing against.

I don't care about anyone's spin but it's going to be a killer for us to absorb losing players like Cole, Harris, Howard, Harper, Arku, Lutz and Benson in a single season.
I agree. No matter how you spin it, SYR losing the most players to the portal is a bad look. There is an underlying problem with SYR football and this is reflected by the mass exodus.

I think there’s a belief at SU that players think they’re better than they really are. Rankings say otherwise. I haven’t seen a difference maker leave that should worry us. Losing depth is a issue. We just need better players.

Would seem to apply to both major sports. Sorry for stepping on your toes if that's what you meant.

There is really no way to spin this as being a good thing. We have the most kids in the country that would rather take their chances getting no scholarship offer from another school than come back here. Think about that.
No kid in their mind is risking not landing a scholarship. Not one. Also, 2-3 of our guys have their degrees. If not mistaken, that’s why they came to SU. Good on them and SU.

I think there’s a belief at SU that players think they’re better than they really are. Rankings say otherwise. I haven’t seen a difference maker leave that should worry us. Losing depth is a issue. We just need better players.
That falls on the fans as well

OK, so let's please stop pretending that we are experiencing this about the same as everyone else.
Of those chasing us how many have a long term coach.
My youngest was a sophomore in HS when Dino took over she is now in Grad School.
3 Presidents ago.
1 winning Season..

Second string guys become first string guys. Several of these guys *were* difference makers, or soon would have been.

Second string guys become first string guys. Several of these guys *were* difference makers, or soon would have been.
Depth has to be replaced with transfers which they will do but to me Taj was the only difference maker. Cantin was a solid rotational LB. We can get any of the TE's to play the role Benson played. Cole would not have left if he knew he was guaranteed to start. His departure hurts CB depth though.

Depth has to be replaced with transfers which they will do but to me Taj was the only difference maker. Cantin was a solid rotational LB. We can get any of the TE's to play the role Benson played. Cole would not have left if he knew he was guaranteed to start. His departure hurts CB depth though.
Any chance a guy like Cole comes back?

I think, excluding the grad transfers, these Cuse transfers think the turf will be greener on the other side, and it just won't be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom