The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

I'd wait and see how many enter the portal after bowl games and new coaches get hired. Clemson just had 3 commits decommit. There's still a lot of churning going on in the coaches carousel, portal transfers and regular commitments.
The season isn’t over yet for about 80 teams

Depth has to be replaced with transfers which they will do but to me Taj was the only difference maker. Cantin was a solid rotational LB. We can get any of the TE's to play the role Benson played. Cole would not have left if he knew he was guaranteed to start. His departure hurts CB depth though.

Players are not so fungible. It takes time to learn a system. It takes time to learn to play with a group. We're losing all that teaching of our system that these guys have already had. New guys have to start at zero.

Last edited:
Players are not so fungible. It takes time to learn a system. It takes time to learn to play with a group. We're losing all that teaching of our system that these guys have already had. News guys have to start at zero.

AET started at zero.

Koda started at zero.

Cody Roscoe started at zero.

97% of football is all the same sh’t no matter where you go.
Dino’s system isn’t a unicorn.

Good players are good players and will rise to the occasion when given the opportunity.

AET started at zero.

Koda started at zero.

Good players are good players and will rise to the occasion when given the opportunity.

Sure, a small handful of guys can be immediate difference makers. But how many transfers have disappointed, or never really made a difference?

Players are not so fungible. It takes time to learn a system. It takes time to learn to play with a group. We're losing all that teaching of our system that these guys have already had. New guys have to start at zero.
I agree. Now we have to be able to coach players up under the new rules. Losing players is going to be a every year thing. it’s definitely best to keep the players you have and develop them. When I mention transfers I’m not saying we are good now. We can be just as bad or worse with transfers Lol. It’s a crap shoot but they can possibly bring in guys that fit the system better. Guys like Harper and Rondi weren’t fits

I dont know. I can see him going somewhere close to home to play at a place like S Florida, FIU or Florida Atlantic

Cole is gonna end up at a P5. He’s good enough to play at Miami.

Cole is gonna end up at a P5. He’s good enough to play at Miami.
He can play anywhere. Doesnt mean he's a difference maker. Wherever he goes he better learn how to fight for a postion or he will be sitting the bench.

He can play anywhere. Doesnt mean he's a difference maker. Wherever he goes he better learn how to fight for a postion or he will be sitting the bench.

You need guys who can play. Not every one of your 22 starters has to be a star. They just have to play their role.

You can count our best cornerbacks over the last 20 years on one hand and Cole is one of them.

Even if you don’t think so he played here what 2 years? How good would he be as a senior.

You can count our best cornerbacks over the last 20 years on one hand and Cole is one of them.

Even if you don’t think so he played here what 2 years? How good would he be as a senior.
I think he would be good as a senior but why are you trying so hard to sell me on Cole? You dont have to. like I said, he was good enough to start but he didnt want to compete. I wish him the best though.

You need guys who can play. Not every one of your 22 starters has to be a star. They just have to play their role.\
Well, I think everyone would agree with that. I was just responding because you said several transfers were difference makers. I dont agree. For example, Mikel Jones is a difference maker. Cantin Arku was a depth guy with potential.

The interesting thing about the portal is going to be the musical chairs that occur with incoming freshmen, high quality JUCOs, and D1A or D2 types making the jump probably means a decent chunk of transfers will end up without a home. The other piece of that is how many coaching staffs will take back a player that entered the portal the way we just did with Smyzt.

The interesting thing about the portal is going to be the musical chairs that occur with incoming freshmen, high quality JUCOs, and D1A or D2 types making the jump probably means a decent chunk of transfers will end up without a home. The other piece of that is how many coaching staffs will take back a player that entered the portal the way we just did with Smyzt.
I dont think he ever entered the portal

If you’re going to lose a high number of players to the portal, I’d rather it was over the course of several weeks than in five days

If you’re going to lose a high number of players to the portal, I’d rather it was over the course of several weeks than in five days

Like that makes a difference how?

AET started at zero.

Koda started at zero.

Unfortunately I feel DB feels his offense is a unicorn. So tired of hearing the young players do not know what they do not know.
I have a question for the more experienced football board members. Do you feel not having a written play book affects the players, especially wr? It seems our wr are never on the same page as the qb. Could having a written play book with designed plays help that situation?

Unfortunately I feel DB feels his offense is a unicorn. So tired of hearing the young players do not know what they do not know.
I have a question for the more experienced football board members. Do you feel not having a written play book affects the players, especially wr? It seems our wr are never on the same page as the qb. Could having a written play book with designed plays help that situation?
Its hard for me to believe that Wr's performance is affected because they dont have a physical playbook ( on paper). They have digital devices that allows them to review their assignments. They have daily meetings to go over route depth, reads etc... I do think there is communication issues and reads that are missed because the QB's and wr's didnt see the same thing. That needs to be corrected. Maybe they should revamp the way they do it. I havent been a fan of their pass concepts for awhile.

I haven't been a fan of much that Dino has done.

I haven't been a fan of much that Dino has done.

vector-illustration-of-broken-vinyl-vector-id167591047

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom