The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

Holy crap. The SEC is going to be like Russia and East Germany in the Olympics, back in the '70s and '80s. The level of "what used to be cheating" will be so institutionalized, so out in the open, and so powerful. Become a lineman for us, and you're guaranteed a minimum of $150K a year?? What the heck???
Yepp. While I believe it all starts in the trenches? Linemen were the ones I thought would get the short end of the stick. That's not a bad stick.

In terms of the portal? Certainly makes it tougher for a kid thinking of transferring.

Miami has 7? In the portal. How much $$ are they walking away from?

Texas has 7 walking away from $$ too.

Last edited:
I know. The jet got me

Lol. My point is that CFB coaches have been getting jet access for a while now.

The money side of college athletics is only gross because of where the game comes from.

MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL salaries have all exploded in the last 30 years. CFB and CBB COACHING salaries have all done the same, but because of the arms race and no regulation, the benefits have gotten very creative.

I never want anything regulated as a capitalist American, but I also have a hard time believing a S&C coach should make 600k and the players he oversees get... free room and board... the same as they got in 1970 when the S&C coach made $5

Holy crap. The SEC is going to be like Russia and East Germany in the Olympics, back in the '70s and '80s. The level of "what used to be cheating" will be so institutionalized, so out in the open, and so powerful. Become a lineman for us, and you're guaranteed a minimum of $150K a year?? What the heck???

Makes it all the more funny when Texas goes 7-5 or 8-4 and they fire their coach for losing to Kansas

Yeah all SU has done is announce there NIL portal. Seems cool. I hope businesses come through.

Can we get like Mother Cupboard's to do something for our big guys?

I hope Dinosaur is getting in on this.

Need a big initiative or something on this front.

Nothing screams Cajun like Brian Kelly

I see a number of players visiting other per schools that are in the portal but only verse for SU. They are offering some. Now maybe like most things DB does he is keeping it under wraps or the fact that we need to higher three coaches is limiting activity in the portal. However we will not be able to be successful unless DB can replace most of the players we lost with kids that have the ability to play now. I know 2022 is a long way off but unless there are some significant addition of players that can play right now there will not be much to get excited for heading into the season.

I see a number of players visiting other per schools that are in the portal but only verse for SU. They are offering some. Now maybe like most things DB does he is keeping it under wraps or the fact that we need to higher three coaches is limiting activity in the portal. However we will not be able to be successful unless DB can replace most of the players we lost with kids that have the ability to play now. I know 2022 is a long way off but unless there are some significant addition of players that can play right now there will not be much to get excited for heading into the season.
The fact that possibly only 45 out of 693 transfers in the portal, since 8/1, have committed to a new school tells me there are a lot of kids in that portal that aren't going to find a new home. Not every kid in the portal is P5 or G5 material.

The fact that possibly only 45 out of 693 transfers in the portal, since 8/1, have committed to a new school tells me there are a lot of kids in that portal that aren't going to find a new home. Not every kid in the portal is P5 or G5 material.
It’s definitely going to back fire for many . Whole things a giant mess and it’s the ncaa’s fault for being so wildly inconsistent and stubborn in there decisions. I fear the sport may be broken. ( for a time that is)

I agree that is why I am hoping that the staff is being aggressive on the players that are P5 material.

It’s definitely going to back fire for many . Whole things a giant mess and it’s the ncaa’s fault for being so wildly inconsistent and stubborn in there decisions. I fear the sport may be broken. ( for a time that is)
Also coaches may not be that interested in recruiting players in the portal, with the exception of Grad Transfers

I think the newness and the extra covid year may be playing a part. When 70% of these kids don't find a home, or go FCS/D2? It should serve as a useful reminder for those that put their intellect over their ego.

Of course, if they are perfectly happy with any of those results? By all means. The herd will thin itself.

Wonder how many actual openings there are after HS recruits are accounted for.

We joked last year the biggest winners in all this might be FCS and the biggest losers will be the lower half of P5.

We joked last year the biggest winners in all this might be FCS and the biggest losers will be the lower half of P5.

Given the numbers, it's hard to imagine that this won't be true.

Could really work out to our advantage, and I hope we have the support staff to be mining this for our priority list.

Many of those kids that are hoping for a bigger school offer could fall into our laps if they still want to play P5.

Given the numbers, it's hard to imagine that this won't be true.

Could really work out to our advantage, and I hope we have the support staff to be mining this for our priority list.

Many of those kids that are hoping for a bigger school offer could fall into our laps if they still want to play P5.

Agreed...

An argument could be made that G5 will make out the best but I think they'll lose too many of their best players so it'll be a wash for them. Might be the same for lower P5 but it'll be hard for the L-P5 to maintain their depth relative to who they’re competing against.

I don't care about anyone's spin but it's going to be a killer for us to absorb losing players like Cole, Harris, Howard, Harper, Arku, Lutz and Benson in a single season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom