The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 122 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

What's worse is that as people cut their cords and/or if a la carte cable options come about, the BTN will not be able to force people to pay exorbitant fees for a worthless channel. The B1G will be stuck with a permanent leech. So much for the strategy.
I stopped paying for the BTN two years ago...haven't missed anything I wanted to watch.

Last edited:
I stopped paying for the BTN a two years ago...haven't missed anything I wanted to watch.

I don't miss the BTN, either. I watched BTN once, when we played Penn State. A friend had it, he was from PA and a PSU fan and knew I was a Syracuse fan so our families watched the game. I could not believe how bad the production was,, not to mention the unbelievable repetition of the Rotello ad. Definitely not worth watching on the quality side and the programming, well, that speaks for itself.

:p

Does he have spunk? Or gumption? :p

Bottom line, he doesn't have the career death-wish to take on an impossible task.
- edited for reality.
His father probably told him to stay away from that job at all costs.

The same Williams who passed on Rutgers as a player as well.

I think i read somewhere a long time ago, that JW WANTED to go to Rutgers to play with his boy Dante Jones. And that his mom MADE him take a visit to Duke. That he was crying the whole ride down becuase he did NOT want to go to Duke.

I think i read somewhere a long time ago, that JW WANTED to go to Rutgers to play with his boy Dante Jones. And that his mom MADE him take a visit to Duke. That he was crying the whole ride down becuase he did NOT want to go to Duke.
Sooooo...Rutgers was his dream school? I'm not sure whether to make a joke or pity him.

Sooooo...Rutgers was his dream school? I'm not sure whether to make a joke or pity him.

This might be a worse story than our Mike Vick what could have been. From 2001 article...

For 6 hours, Jason Williams stewed. He was broiling mad, so mad he couldn't even speak.

Here he was, a 17-year-old, a man almost, and his mother was packing him off in the car against his will like a little kid.

What was she thinking? Why was she wasting his time? His mind was made up. He was going to Rutgers. Yet here he was, stuck in the car, driving south to Durham, N.C., driving, no less, in a rainstorm so heavy it was maybe one step short of a hurricane.

"I don't think he spoke to me for 6 hours," said a beaming Althea Williams, minutes after Jason's Duke team beat Southern California on Saturday night at the First Union Center to advance to the Final Four. "He didn't want to go. But I wanted him to begin to learn how to make good decisions. How can you be confident you've made the right choice if you don't have all the information?"

Eventually, Williams uncrossed his arms, wiped the scowl off his face and looked around.

"About 24 hours later, he knew," Althea Williams said. "He fell in love with the place."
/QUOTE]

http://articles.philly.com/2001-03-27/sports/25325549_1_duke-history-althea-williams-jason-williams

This might be a worse story than our Mike Vick what could have been. From 2001 article...

You may be right. In this instance, though, we may have to give mom a break in that she clearly understood that Duke was a better place for her son than Rutgers on so many levels. Would he be the man he is today had he attended Rutgers and been the BMOC? Who knows?

Regardless, I would hope he knows he can do better than Rutgers as a HC. A solid mid-major or at least a middle of the road Power 5 team would be a better launching pad for a coaching career than Rutgers without AD support (moral support, yes, but facilities, $$, booster backing, no hoops history = no base on which to build on), fan support, TV exposure, etc. Rutgers hoops is truly a struggle with nowhere else to go but up. Unfortunately for the new HC, the HC will be tied down, weighted with anchors and thrown into the depths of the sea as a starting point. Oy vey!

Didn't Jones end up leaving Rutgers and transferring to Duke anyway?

They must have gotten him good and drunk first to leave an NCAA tourney team to a historical non-qualifier.
Dumb Dumb and dumber...
I think there's a bigger story in the subtext.

Pikiell would not have made this move if he thought he had a crack at the UConn job. So, either Ollie will be around for a while, and/or Pikiell has been advised that his resume/connections are not sufficient to get him the UConn gig when it does come open.

He'll get more money at RuRah, but he also might cripple his career.

that is an excellent hire for them. there are rumblings about new hoops facilities in the making for them. thats two good hires in the ad and hoops coach. not sure about ash in football

that is an excellent hire for them. there are rumblings about new hoops facilities in the making for them. thats two good hires in the ad and hoops coach. not sure about ash in football

RU is trying to raise money for a multipurpose facility that encompasses more than just basketball. No shovels in ground yet as they haven't raised the money yet. The rac is awful. Honestly, the school is career suicide until they get that facility done.

I think there's a bigger story in the subtext.

Pikiell would not have made this move if he thought he had a crack at the UConn job. So, either Ollie will be around for a while, and/or Pikiell has been advised that his resume/connections are not sufficient to get him the UConn gig when it does come open.

He'll get more money at RuRah, but he also might cripple his career.
Was there ever any indication that Ollie's job is/was in jeopardy? The man is an above-average recruiter and already has a NC, albeit one he pulled outta his azz! I seriously doubt Ollie was ever in danger at UConn. JMHO

Was there ever any indication that Ollie's job is/was in jeopardy? The man is an above-average recruiter and already has a NC, albeit one he pulled outta his azz! I seriously doubt Ollie was ever in danger at UConn. JMHO
I was talking about the possibility of his moving on to the NBA.

Maybe their governor can kiss some more Trump a$$ to get him to build them one. THE DONALD DOME. :rolling: