The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 127 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Not doubting you, but the rest of the football world thinks it was Rutgers-Princeton. How and where did you get this info?
It is common knowledge. The facts are clear.

Here is a more detailed explanation of why the Rutgers-Princeton match was not the first football game and why the Harvard-McGill match was.

Linkage

Last edited:
No, the 1869 Rutgers-Princeton game was a soccer match. They used a round ball and carrying the ball was not allowed.

The 1874 McGill-Harvard game was the first football game.

Linkage
I write for an Upstate Newspaper. I found out years ago to never trust Wikipedia. It's just not reliable.

If what they say is true then Jim Brown's records shouldn't be counted as the game and rules have changed since he played. I am playing devils advocate here.

I write for an Upstate Newspaper. I found out years ago to never trust Wikipedia. It's just not reliable.

If what they say is true then Jim Brown's records shouldn't be counted as the game and rules have changed since he played. I am playing devils advocate here.
I agree, Wiki is not reliable and if you bother to click on the links I provided, one is from the National Review. The second link provided below comes from McGill.

There are many stories that have been written about how college football evolved. The fundamental things that make football different than soccer; the ball, the ability to pick the ball up and carry it, and scoring by carrying the ball over an endline or kicking it over a goal, were not present for the Rutgers-Princeton match.

Read and decide yourself.

Linkage

Last edited:
I agree, Wiki is not reliable and if you bother to click on the links I provided, one is from the National Review. The second link provided below comes from McGill.

There are many stories that have been written about how college football evolved. The fundamental things that make football different than soccer; the ball, the ability to pick the ball up and carry it, and scoring was done by carrying the ball over an endline or kicking it over a goal, were not present for the Rutgers-Princeton match.

Linkage

This results in Rutgers' one shared national championship being invalidated. It also cuts in half the entire Rutgers memorable moments (remember, the ESB was lit up in red, once).

Maybe if we did further research we could prove the ESB was either lit in red for another reason or it was never lit in red.

There are many stories that have been written about how college football evolved. The fundamental things that make football different than soccer; the ball, the ability to pick the ball up and carry it, and scoring was done by carrying the ball over an endline or kicking it over a goal, were not present for the Rutgers-Princeton match.

Linkage
Interesting! I certainly won't shed any tears for Rutgers if they are forced to change their statue to say, first game of intercollegiat soccer played in the US!

It is common knowledge. The facts are clear.

Here is a more detailed explanation of why the Rutgers-Princeton match was not the first football game and why the Harvard-McGill match was.

Linkage

This guy was badass:

Captain Rodger of McGill, who had been carrying his arm in a sling on account of a recent injury, thereupon unconcernedly walked to one of the posts which supported the goal rope, hung his sling upon the post, and called to his players to take the field. The two teams lined up at once.”

Harvard and McGill have long maintained (going back to the CFB centennial in 1969) that the game they played later would be much more recognizable to people today as football than what was played in the Rutgers-Princeton game.

Uh oh, looks like ESPN and B1G are not close is numbers right now. Talk is growing that there's a real possibility that ESPN pulls out from B1G television rights.

Uh oh, looks like ESPN and B1G are not close is numbers right now. Talk is growing that there's a real possibility that ESPN pulls out from B1G television rights.
Has anyone confirmed that the Fox deal has been signed? Last I heard it was only a tentative agreement.

This guy was badass:

Captain Rodger of McGill, who had been carrying his arm in a sling on account of a recent injury, thereupon unconcernedly walked to one of the posts which supported the goal rope, hung his sling upon the post, and called to his players to take the field. The two teams lined up at once.”
Juicing

Get ready B1G for the Hockey Treatment from the WWL.

Get ready B1G for the Hockey Treatment from the WWL.

What scares the WWL is we actually are ready to cut the cord from ESPN. Pun intended. The B1G is pushing for OTA. It is looking like you may be seeing a steady stream nationally of Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan etc before and after ND telecasts on NBC. You will also see a heavy dose of B1G football on Fox along with the BigXII and Pac12. All over the air, live sports programming. The BTN already streams with BTN2Go. Bye bye DirectTV and ESPN in 2017 for me and the massive population that watches the B1G religiously.

All while receiving what is estimated to be $57,000,000.00 (full payout) annually in 2017.

Arizona Knight said:
What scares the WWL is we actually are ready to cut the cord from ESPN. Pun intended. The B1G is pushing for OTA. It is looking like you may be seeing a steady stream nationally of Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan etc before and after ND telecasts on NBC. You will also see a heavy dose of B1G football on Fox along with the BigXII and Pac12. All over the air, live sports programming. The BTN already streams with BTN2Go. Bye bye DirectTV and ESPN in 2017 for me and the massive population that watches the B1G religiously. All while receiving what is estimated to be $57,000,000.00 (full payout) annually in 2017.

They cutting you guys a full check yet? Or you still waiting?

What scares the WWL is we actually are ready to cut the cord from ESPN. Pun intended. The B1G is pushing for OTA. It is looking like you may be seeing a steady stream nationally of Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan etc before and after ND telecasts on NBC. You will also see a heavy dose of B1G football on Fox along with the BigXII and Pac12. All over the air, live sports programming. The BTN already streams with BTN2Go. Bye bye DirectTV and ESPN in 2017 for me and the massive population that watches the B1G religiously.

All while receiving what is estimated to be $57,000,000.00 (full payout) annually in 2017.
Wow, that is a lot of money to cover lawsuits.

I am really not good with all of this, but the B1G invited Rutgers to join based on cable boxes. Now they are gearing up to cut the cable? I can imagine the regret on the faces of the fine folks at the B1G offices for adding the dead weight dumpster fire that is Rutgers.

Not full until 2021. But we will enjoy the benefits of revenue growth. So our partial payments in 2017 will be massive by today's standards.
If revenue is no longer generated by cable boxes, do you see any scenario where the B1G might cut ties with Rutgers and add teams that add value to their league, like Oklahoma, TX and/or Kansas?

Edit: I am not trying to be a douche, but can anyone else see this playing out where by the time Rutgers would be an equal partner, they get cut loose? Because they add nothing to any sport, they don't move the needle I viewership, they have no historical significance to the league and they have been nothing but an embarrassment since they arrived. I can understand why they haven't been axed yet, because they cost the league peanuts and they got the B1G into the cable market in NJ. But, as the need for that diminishes, so too does Rutgers value.

Last edited:
Not full until 2021. But we will enjoy the benefits of revenue growth. So our partial payments in 2017 will be massive by today's standards.

Too bad you aren't enjoying the benefit of your teams not sucking in either revenue generating sport.

They got 8 million and change this year. Nebraska and Maryland got 19 and 21 million.

Don't know why Rutgers is being treated like such a second class citizen. I think it is because they are Rutgers.

I am really not good with all of this, but the B1G invited Rutgers to join based on cable boxes. Now they are gearing up to cut the cable? I can imagine the regret on the faces of the fine folks at the B1G offices for adding the dead weight dumpster fire that is Rutgers.

I know this is all in fun but c'mon. Rutgers and Maryland just made the B1G another $60mm annually. The BTN got on basic in NY without so much as a slap fight and our ratings out of the gate blew away anything they were getting in the NYC DMA prior to our arrival. That's why we were invited. They knew the metrics and we delivered on them.

Now that Kyle Flood is gone, hopefully we get the football house in order. At least on the recruiting trail Coach Ash is lights out so far with a consensus Top 25 class heading into summer. We are also trending very well with many high level prospects. The reality is the B1G East is hot. I think 5 or 6 of the 7 team division have Top 25 classes at the moment. I know it's early.

I know this is all in fun but c'mon. Rutgers and Maryland just made the B1G another $60mm annually. The BTN got on basic in NY without so much as a slap fight and our ratings out of the gate blew away anything they were getting in the NYC DMA prior to our arrival. That's why we were invited. They knew the metrics and we delivered on them.

Now that Kyle Flood is gone, hopefully we get the football house in order. At least on the recruiting trail Coach Ash is lights out so far with a consensus Top 25 class heading into summer. We are also trending very well with many high level prospects. The reality is the B1G East is hot. I think 5 or 6 of the 7 team division have Top 25 classes at the moment. I know it's early.
So, people were tuning in to watch Rutgers football and basketball?