The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 167 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

I can't be alone in thinking that THIS guy should be Rutgers' new mascot, right?

I think this guy should be their permanent mascot.
rutgers-fan.jpg

Rutgers fans are scared. They know how fast a bad hire effects a program negatively, they know two bad hires is catastrophic. Ash is looking like the latter. Their performance to date has been atrocious. That's an X's and O's problem. Alabama was bad for a long time, Norte Dame, Washington, Stanford, Tenn, hell Syracuse.

With their now murderes row gauntlet of a schedule every year, their margin for error is zero. They could easily return to their early 90s doormat status and they are terrified

Nah, only idiots are "scared". It's year 1 of a total rebuild and the morons in the Rutgers fan base (and there are way too many) don't understand this. Flood sunk the program back to 2002-2004 level bad, not quite Terry Shea bad, but it's bad. Ash may not be the long term solution, but he's an upgrade over Flood and over the next 3 years or so he will rebuild the program for the B1G, particularly on the defensive side of the ball which from 2013-2015 was historically the worst it's been over a 3-year period...even worse than the Shea years if that's possible. There's no disputing that this defense is built for the AAC from a size and (lack of) athleticism standpoint. Despite having zero depth, starting 3 new linebackers and being on the field all the time, you can see signs that this D is fairly well coached for the pile of s#it he has to work with. Still, Ash is not a magician. He can't take a roster of (bad)AAC players and compete vs. this schedule.

While there are some encouraging signs of life on D, the offense is a different story entirely. There are no QB's who can play yet. Oden the true frosh is still too raw. If Dungey is on this roster this year RU is 3-4, possibly 4-3, even though the three beat downs still would have happened. Lewis from SPP will be here next year but will likely RS. The offense is going to suck next year too. Not as bad is this year as there will be WR's who can actually get separation and the OL will get better via addition by subtraction (two heavily overrated 4=star OL who were better for the pro set will be moving on) but it likely won't be until 2018 until there's any real improvement on O. And this correlates with Schiano's rebuild as the offense was putrid the first two years.

And for the record, I am not one of Schiano's biggest fans. Agree that he peaked in 2006 and overstayed his welcome but one thing he did do was build the program from the dregs of an FCS level to a competitive mid-major type program (which the Big East was after UM and VT split). Now Ash has to get the program from a bad AAC team to a competitive (6-6) B1G team. Still, I'm a realist and accept that RU will never be anything more than Minnesota-level although I think they can be that more consistently than not once the program gets rebuilt. Going to take 3-4 years to do that though. Congrats on the win vs. VT and good luck vs. BC this week.

Last edited:
Nah, only idiots are "scared". It's year 1 of a total rebuild and the morons in the Rutgers fan base (and there are way too many) don't understand this. Flood sunk the program back to 2002-2004 level bad, not quite Terry Shea bad, but it's bad. Ash may not be the long term solution, but he's an upgrade over Flood and over the next 3 years or so he will rebuild the program for the B1G, particularly on the defensive side of the ball which from 2013-2015 was historically the worst it's been over a 3-year period...even worse than the Shea years if that's possible. There's no disputing that this defense is built for the AAC from a size and (lack of) athleticism standpoint. Despite having zero depth, starting 3 new linebackers and being on the field all the time, you can see signs that this D is fairly well coached for the pile of s#it he has to work with. Still, Ash is not a magician. He can't take a roster of (bad)AAC players and compete vs. this schedule.

While there are some encouraging signs of life on D, the offense is a different story entirely. There are no QB's who can play yet. Oden the true frosh is still too raw. If Dungey is on this roster this year RU is 3-4, possibly 4-3, even though the three beat downs still would have happened. Lewis from SPP will be here next year but will likely RS. The offense is going to suck next year too. Not as bad is this year as there will be WR's who can actually get separation and the OL will get better via addition by subtraction (two heavily overrated 4=star OL who were better for the pro set will be moving on) but it likely won't be until 2018 until there's any real improvement on O. And this correlates with Schiano's rebuild as the offense was putrid the first two years.

And for the record, I am not one of Schiano's biggest fans. Agree that he peaked in 2006 and overstayed his welcome but one thing he did do was build the program from the dregs of an FCS level to a competitive mid-major type program (which the Big East was after UM and VT split). Now Ash has to get the program from a bad AAC team to a competitive (6-6) B1G team. Still, I'm a realist and accept that RU will never be anything more than Minnesota-level although I think they can be that more consistently than not once the program gets rebuilt. Going to take 3-4 years to do that though. Congrats on the win vs. VT and good luck vs. BC this week.

Thanks for the congrats, but I think you're being too optimistic:

1. Your recruiting is kind of like ours, lower P5. So while you shouldn't be winning games vs Ohio State and Michigan (Clemson/FSU for us) you should appear to have a bit more of a clue on offense and defense.

2. P5 coaches don't have only 3 completions in a game.

3. While it's possible that Ash will grow into a good coach, it's really, really hard to do when you are a first time head coach in the P5. Losses snowball into bad recruiting.

4. We've lived through this. It might set you guys back 10-15 years.

Thanks for the congrats, but I think you're being too optimistic:

1. Your recruiting is kind of like ours, lower P5. So while you shouldn't be winning games vs Ohio State and Michigan (Clemson/FSU for us) you should appear to have a bit more of a clue on offense and defense.

2. P5 coaches don't have only 3 completions in a game.

3. While it's possible that Ash will grow into a good coach, it's really, really hard to do when you are a first time head coach in the P5. Losses snowball into bad recruiting.

4. We've lived through this. It might set you guys back 10-15 years.

The only reason is that Babers is ahead of schedule because of Dungey & Etta-Tawo and the rest of the WR corp. Without Dungey he would have had a much more difficult time getting the wins we did. I give a lot of credit to Coach Lester for finding ED.

But for the past X years all we've heard from RU fans is how "great" their recruiting has been? How has recruiting been so good, yet you're suddenly so bad? 3 completions SHOULD NeEVER happen to A P5 team, NEVER. That is a HUGE red flag about your OC. I wonder how long Ash sticks with him?

Two terrible seasons and Ash will be on hot seat and will be hard for him to attract quality new asst coaches. Like someone mentioned here, we have lived this story once already.

The only reason is that Babers is ahead of schedule because of Dungey & Etta-Tawo and the rest of the WR corp. Without Dungey he would have had a much more difficult time getting the wins we did. I give a lot of credit to Coach Lester for finding ED.

I disagree a bit.

That helps a lot for sure. But I think Babers with Rutgers players (shudder) would have had a better showing on O vs Ohio State and Michigan.