The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 179 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

I'm sure the Buttgers forum is actually ecstatic about this. Now, the question is who will they bring in and what type of offense will they run...oh, and will it scare off some of their recruits.
Most are happy but are worried about losing recruits, particularly the QB Lewis.

Last edited:
he was the primary recruiter for melton and clark both 4*--we should pay them a call

Okay, so they hire a new OC and score between 7 - 10 more points per game than last year..... and still lose most games by 20+

No difference.

The funniest response i read is they werw worried the recruits would be worried about a changing offense. I know they meant scheme but id be more worried if things didnt change w how they produced this year

yes how about that class, we recruited them both. we need ol which clark is, and melton a wr --both have excellent offer sheets.

It's starting to show cracks like I said it would. We should try to get those guys, sure - but it will be the next few classes where we pull ahead in NJ.

I'm sure the Buttgers forum is actually ecstatic about this. Now, the question is who will they bring in and what type of offense will they run...oh, and will it scare off some of their recruits.
Yeah they want Les Miles as their next OC.

smart move by young drew. He saw the writing on the wall in piscataway. If your a young up and comer coach, you want to be with a glitzy program on the come up so your career can get that logarithmic career trajectory. You want to be the next Tom hermann, the next Major Applewhite. Drew saw another 2 win season next year at RU and decided to bail, as his career would have been in shambles based on results or he would have probably been fired anyhow.

Now he gets to reap the rewards of a Herman staff and be the next HC to hire after a few years.

RU is in a bad spot. They wont be able to hire an up and coming shinging star OC, as they will be awful (again) and RU pays a paltry 400k for the job. They'll have to get a fired retread

smart move by young drew. He saw the writing on the wall in piscataway. If your a young up and comer coach, you want to be with a glitzy program on the come up so your career can get that logarithmic career trajectory. You want to be the next Tom hermann, the next Major Applewhite. Drew saw another 2 win season next year at RU and decided to bail, as his career would have been in shambles based on results or he would have probably been fired anyhow.

Now he gets to reap the rewards of a Herman staff and be the next HC to hire after a few years.

RU is in a bad spot. They wont be able to hire an up and coming shinging star OC, as they will be awful (again) and RU pays a paltry 400k for the job. They'll have to get a fired retread

gd.jpeg

I don't think this guy is going to Baylor with Rhule. Perhaps he'll be available for RU's OC job.

far be it from me to defend the joke of a program that is Rutgers, and that pathetic excuse for offense they displayed this past season, but you seem like maybe you don't realize that Drew Mehringer has worked with Herman for years - he was under Herman as a player, as a grad assistant at Ohio State, and was the one guy Herman brought with him from Ohio State to Houston. You make it sound like Mehringer just wanted to bail on Rutgers because of career interests, when in reality he could have been OC almost anywhere and would most likely have bailed to be with Herman at Texas.

far be it from me to defend the joke of a program that is Rutgers, and that pathetic excuse for offense they displayed this past season, but you seem like maybe you don't realize that Drew Mehringer has worked with Herman for years - he was under Herman as a player, as a grad assistant at Ohio State, and was the one guy Herman brought with him from Ohio State to Houston. You make it sound like Mehringer just wanted to bail on Rutgers because of career interests, when in reality he could have been OC almost anywhere and would most likely have bailed to be with Herman at Texas.

I knew all of that. His prior relationship with Herman is the only reason he got the job, because based on his results in Piscataway ...

Wait, I'm confused. Supposedly the Mehringer hire was a "disaster of a hire" as Syracuse had the same experience when they hired a WR with no prior OC experience under HCSS. Now that he leaves and Ash essentially gets a "do-over" on his OC hire its a bad thing?

Now, if they go on the cheap and hire another coach with no OC experience or burned out retread then yes. But they may just open the coffers for this one after seeing the product on the field last season. Time will tell.

Wait, I'm confused. Supposedly the Mehringer hire was a "disaster of a hire" as Syracuse had the same experience when they hired a WR with no prior OC experience under HCSS. Now that he leaves and Ash essentially gets a "do-over" on his OC hire its a bad thing?

Now, if they go on the cheap and hire another coach with no OC experience or burned out retread then yes. But they may just open the coffers for this one after seeing the product on the field last season. Time will tell.

i never said it was bad for RU that Meringer left, if i was an RU fan, id be ecstatic, their offense was off the charts bad last year, when it shouldnt have been. We had this same story at SU, with a WR coach named Mcit

The do-over is an opportunity - but getting it so wrong first go-round is troubling. Our defensive minded HC decided to go with a slightly better OC and got the same results.

In other words - he'd better get it right - there may not be another chance coming.

Ash said some of his candidates are currently coaching bowl games and that he’s staying with the spread. That said, I find it hard to believe he’ll get a proven commodity unless it’s a lower level OC who’s going to get a big bump in pay. Otherwise you’re looking at another position coach getting a promotion. Just my guess.

What's funny is that a Rutgirls board member thought maybe they should go after Dino for OC. They shut him down immediately.Dino probably earns more than their whole staff combined;)

What's funny is that a Rutgirls board member thought maybe they should go after Dino for OC. They shut him down immediately.Dino probably earns more than their whole staff combined;)

Talk about inflated self-opinion. Sheesh.

Same old Rutgers.