The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 183 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

If all the recruiting services show approximately the same rankings, then, well...if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck.

I think Babers shows great promise as long as he straightens out the defense. But, #50 on the recruiting rankings just won't cut it.

It won't. But it's an improvement on where we have been by a touch. And it doesn't include our transfers and grad transfers - which would boost the class considerably.

Patience.

I know this - I wouldn't be shocked to hear about benefits and infractions. I don't know how they are holding onto some of the top end kids they have at the moment. Their season was a disgrace.

Rutgers is 31 on 24.7 and Cuse is 49 there... any reason for that one? It's like a broken record that every recruiting site has something against Syracuse and inflates Rutgers numbers. Yes, I think Dohn has some Rutgers bias, but EVERY recruiting site?

Now with that said... I think Cuse has guys who are going to fit DBs offense better, so quite frankly, I don't really give a damn about recruiting rankings. If you trust the staff then you should also trust that they are getting the best possible kids to fit their system. Rutgers class is pretty top heavy which is why I think they have a high ranking (ie. Micah Clark, Tyshon Fogg, and Bo Melton). That brings up their average ranking a good deal for the rest of the class.

On a side note, regarding the investigation... my contact from the NJFCA is saying that they were assured that there would be no significant sanctions given to Rutgers because they completely cleared house in the athletic department during the investigation (AD, HC, some players, support staff, etc.). At WORST CASE scenario, they are expecting a loss of 1 or 2 scholarships. But more than likely, it will be a slap on the wrist.
The good news is that they can't strip wins

Rutgers can also expect Michigan to donkey punch them every year. And Ohio State. And Penn State. And even Michigan State.

Lol well that's a given. You could also say that about us vs. Clemson and Florida state for the time being though. But what PhatOrange said is right on point! Look at the offers.

Listen I'm a fan of both schools. Cuse has so much promise under Babers and I think can get back to a consistent top 25 level in a few years. At the same time... I think rutgers has a chance to get to a respectable level as well. They never will compete with the Ohio States or the Michigans but I think they have the ability to be an Iowa type program. As long as they stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Whether you hate them or not, Schiano built them up to be a respectable program. Kyle Flood absolutely destroyed anything they had going for them based off this report within 3 years. The rebuild job that Ash has to do there because of Flood is going to take years. Much longer than it's going to take Babers to get Cuse back to prominence.

Lol well that's a given. You could also say that about us vs. Clemson and Florida state for the time being though. But what PhatOrange said is right on point! Look at the offers.

Listen I'm a fan of both schools. Cuse has so much promise under Babers and I think can get back to a consistent top 25 level in a few years. At the same time... I think rutgers has a chance to get to a respectable level as well. They never will compete with the Ohio States or the Michigans but I think they have the ability to be an Iowa type program. As long as they stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Whether you hate them or not, Schiano built them up to be a respectable program. Kyle Flood absolutely destroyed anything they had going for them based off this report within 3 years. The rebuild job that Ash has to do there because of Flood is going to take years. Much longer than it's going to take Babers to get Cuse back to prominence.
schiano was a horrible game day coach, a very good recruiter, and managed to shut us out of nj and metro area. at the time, rutgers invested in the program while we did not. i liked pasqualoni, but think he underachieved with the some of the talent he had. that said, in his later years that talent dried up, we could not recruit as well and his record began to fade.
for a lot of years we got kids from nj, and we were good. nj is a talent rich state fished by most of the "bigs". now nyc and li have pretty good hs football and we need those areas. i also believe that western ny is getting much better.
i know the recruiting scene is more universal these days, and everyone wants florida speed. however, i also believe if we can get the the metro ny l.i. and nj guys plus some pa,md and va. guys we would be pretty good.
i may be naive though, as i am a dinosaur, and we all know what happened to them

It's like a broken record that every recruiting site has something against Syracuse and inflates Rutgers numbers. Yes, I think Dohn has some Rutgers bias, but EVERY recruiting site?
If Skout has Dohn and Rovals has Hunt, both well known Rutgers guys, is it really a stretch to believe there is a bias against us, their biggest regional recruiting rival?
Plus 247 is largely a composite of the other site ratings right? So the Rutgers stooges have even further reach in defining both classes.

I've beeen with Dohn in person when he was spouting anti-Syracuse views. He didn't know I was a Cuse guy at the time so he spoke freely about how bad everything was at SU and how kids didn't want to play there and blah blah blah.

I didn't even realize he was a Rutgers guy back then and was thinking to myself "man this guy really dislikes The Cuse" . Eventually when I put it together it all made sense.

If Skout has Dohn and Rovals has Hunt, both well known Rutgers guys, is it really a stretch to believe there is a bias against us, their biggest regional recruiting rival?
Plus . . . is largely a composite of the other site ratings right? So the Rutgers stooges have even further reach in defining both classes.

I've beeen with Dohn in person when he was spouting anti-Syracuse views. He didn't know I was a Cuse guy at the time so he spoke freely about how bad everything was at SU and how kids didn't want to play there and blah blah blah.

I didn't even realize he was a Rutgers guy back then and was thinking to myself "man this guy really dislikes The Cuse" . Eventually when I put it together it all made sense.
Hunt doesnt work for Rovals. Adam Friedman does the star ratings for the northeast. He doesnt like Cuse or Rutgers

Plus . . . is largely a composite of the other site ratings right? So the Rutgers stooges have even further reach in defining both classes.

Dohn is a tool that is drunk off the Rutgers Kool aid. I remember when Rutgers got their invite to the Big Ten, he said Rutgers would compete with Mich and Osu lol.

Dohn is a tool that is drunk off the Rutgers Kool aid. I remember when Rutgers got their invite to the Big Ten, he said Rutgers would compete with Mich and Osu lol.

Man oh man, that Kool Aid must have been seriously spiked!

Last edited:
So Kill wanted to go to Uconn for the OC position instead of SUNJ? Both offenses were bad but Uconn was more attractive to him. lol Diaco not hiring him turned out to be the nail in the coffin for him at Uconn

So Kill wanted to go to Uconn for the OC position instead of SUNJ? Both offenses were bad but Uconn was more attractive to him. lol Diaco not hiring him turned out to be the nail in the coffin for him at Uconn
He interviewed with Uconn before the RU positon even opened

Is anyone else surprised that there haven't been more decommits from Rutgers?
Im not surprised. Melton, Clark and Fogg our their top commits. Clark has his half brother, Jamaal Beatty who he wants to play with in college. Beatty is not as good, his only other offer is from Old Dominion so its a packaged deal. Clark would go to Penn st if not for that. Bo Melton is a legacy recruit. Fulfilling his fathers wishes. Melton knows he will get immediate playing time. Fogg is originally a jersey kid that moved to Maryland. He will probably play day 1. Most of their other commits have Rutgers or BC as their only P5 offers. They don't have any choice but to stay committed.

lol, right now Dohn is currently looking at 2018 prospects that are Rutgers leans. He will make sure those players have favorable rankings. If they dont choose rutgers he will drop them to 2 stars. He did it with Qaadir Sheppard one year. This year its Jasmin Muse, Devin Miller, Elijah Barnwell and Liam Fornadel. He's been doing it for years.

The fact anyone tests for weed is ridiculous at this point. A safer drug than any other, including tobacco and alcohol, but yeah let's ban people for life from things...

Im fine with it. Agreed it is safe, but it speaks to ability to adhere to societal rules. Fact is, its not legal.

The fact anyone tests for weed is ridiculous at this point. A safer drug than any other, including tobacco and alcohol, but yeah let's ban people for life from things...
What I posted is a fact of life...and if I want to collect a paycheck either you follow their rules or risk working elsewhere. Too much money to be made now to screw it up. Corning Glass,Budweiser,Bristol,Computer chip plantsNuclear power plants,actually all types of power plants,Refineries and so on where co-workers depend on sober help for job safety.
Even their PED use seems very lenient compared to the NFL standards.

Plus the company who takes these drug tests by law has to report all failed drug tests unless the test was during a self induced rehab stint.Insurance companies mandated this. Even then the NRC can get these tests and you will be banned.
Many companies will not hire a failed tester unless they go through rehab and have had clean tests after that for a period of time.

Last edited:
What I posted is a fact of life...and if I want to collect a paycheck either you follow their rules or risk working elsewhere. Too much money to be made now to screw it up. Corning Glass,Budweiser,Bristol,Computer chip plantsNuclear power plants,actually all types of power plants,Refineries and so on where co-workers depend on sober help for job safety.
Even their PED use seems very lenient compared to the NFL standards.

Plus the company who takes these drug tests by law has to report all failed drug tests unless the test was during a self induced rehab stint.Insurance companies mandated this. Even then the NRC can get these tests and you will be banned.
Many companies will not hire a failed tester unless they go through rehab and have had clean tests after that for a period of time.

Well put. Many people forget that negative impacts on others (in addition to those on the individual) is a real and serious issue. For the same reasons, many cold and allergy medicines are banned during work hours for heavy equipment operators and other types of machinery, because they interfere with one's physical and mental processing abilities.

Anecdote: While in the Air Force, I was only allowed to use Sudafed for sinus and cold issues. If something stronger was required, I had to be removed from my duties in an electronics laboratory. Far too many people depended on us to get the science right in their equipment, no need to add any risk to an already high risk situation.

Here is my companies policy and I work for the global leader in the beer industry:
Hair Test
Test positive for weed first time - three additional random tests in 12 months (two urine & one hair)
Must visit social worker in person twice to get okay that you are normal and call EAP every two weeks for a year to check in
Test positive again...TERMINATED!
For my work, you must be clean but to collect entitlements and play football at RU, you can smoke weed or do whatever. This is not right!