The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

This is so true. I like many here love to watch them lose but I am always amazed by their special team play. Especially since our has been lacking for a few years. It seems like every time they need a big play on specials they go out and get it... however with out anything else you are going to struggle to win games.

maybe we can hire Flood as our ST coach after he gets fired? Just think gives us our major in with NJ/LI and solidifies a major weakness...(half joking)

This is so true. I like many here love to watch them lose but I am always amazed by their special team play. Especially since our has been lacking for a few years. It seems like every time they need a big play on specials they go out and get it... however with out anything else you are going to struggle to win games.

I wish our staff would watch tape of their special teams in the offseason and try to figure out how they do it

maybe we can hire Flood as our ST coach after he gets fired? Just think gives us our major in with NJ/LI and solidifies a major weakness...(half joking)

What's weird is that it hasn't been the same ST coach-It's been passed on b/w different coaches.

I wish our staff would watch tape of their special teams in the offseason and try to figure out how they do it
I recall an article about VaTech's approach to special teams, and it made a lot of sense. The parts I remember included:
  • create a competition for a spot on STs, not just a default way to get a player on the field. That means a lot of starters play on ST.
  • ST practices are an integral part of each practice session, not just squeezed into short sessions at the beginning or end.
  • players aren't allowed to run through the drills at half speed because they don’t want to be killed in the conditioning sessions that often follow.
  • film sessions are dedicated to ST play, searching for tendencies or openings to exploit (e.g., openings in blocking assignments on FGs or punts). I recall earlier this year, one team (Clemson?) used on onsides kick early in a the game because their film sessions had shown that Whigman left early on KO coverage.
  • don't be content to simply knock down a pass or fall on a fumble. Secure possession and look to take it to the house.

Last edited:
Rutgers bball lost to Fairleigh Dickinson at the RAC tonight. KenPom ranks FD 349 out of 351 teams.
That is Fairly Ridiculous

We play on ESPN beating an NCAA Tourney Caliber team they lose to a Div 3 team on the Ocho.

That is Fairly Ridiculous

We play on ESPN beating an NCAA Tourney Caliber team they lose to a Div 3 team on the Ocho.

I'm seeing naked wind sprints in their future.
fortune teller.jpg

Rutgers bball lost to Fairleigh Dickinson at the RAC tonight. KenPom ranks FD 349 out of 351 teams.

I saw that too,must be the basketball side pays no mind to rutgirls...they have no idea of what they are missing

I saw that too,must be the basketball side pays no mind to rutgirls...they have no idea of what they are missing
Yep, didn't bother posting over there.

The Big 10 will be so proud.

Attendance: 392

Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total
Stillman College... 51 38 - 89
Rutgers....... 60 56 - 116

h/t lawrinson14

The Big 10 will be so proud.

Attendance: 392

Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total
Stillman College... 51 38 - 89
Rutgers....... 60 56 - 116

h/t lawrinson14

89 points to a 1-7 D2 team at home.

466 tonight attendance at home versus local NJ power Fairleigh Ridiculous

466 tonight attendance at home versus local NJ power Fairleigh Ridiculous
Includes TV's and concession workers

And Farleigh Dickinson players, fans, parents, staff and athletic tape rolls.

And Chas is back in the saddle.
One of the freshman on their basketball team told Rutgers he was 18 but is really 21. They don't vet anything there. It is the mother of all cesspools.

One of the freshman on their basketball team told Rutgers he was 18 but is really 21. They don't vet anything there. It is the mother of all cesspools.
The story really is worth a read.

Rutgers has tried to bury the older parts of Etou's past, too. The biography for Etou on the basketball team's web site, which lists his birthday as June 4, 1994, gives no hint that Etou ever played for his national team in international play. Every tidbit about his playing comes from after he started claiming a 1994 birthdate. Eddie Jordan coached Etou at the AAU level in D.C., and surely is aware of his overclassman's backstory. The age dispute has put Rutgers in the awkward position of wanting to downplay the accomplishments of a prized recruit.

[url]http://deadspin.com/coaches-high-school-and-its-20-year-old-star-stole-d-1471376031?[/URL]