The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 270 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

This thread ends when Rutgers stops being a dumpster fire.

This thread ends when SU is no longer threatened by the idea that we are Rutgers North. Is Rutgers a dumpster fire? Surely. My point is why does this board give so much energy to putting Rutgers down? Why aren't we focused on UNC, or Duke, or UVA, or VT, or Pitt, or any other of our ACC rivals? Are we that insecure that we have to go after Rutgers, a meisly program we beat regularly by 40 points in the 80's and 90's? This thread is a testament to how far we have fallen. Why the hell do we care a damned bit about what happens at Rutgers?

This thread ends when SU is no longer threatened by the idea that we are Rutgers North. Is Rutgers a dumpster fire? Surely. My point is why does this board give so much energy to putting Rutgers down? Why aren't we focused on UNC, or Duke, or UVA, or VT, or Pitt, or any other of our ACC rivals? Are we that insecure that we have to go after Rutgers, a meisly program we beat regularly by 40 points in the 80's and 90's? This thread is a testament to how far we have fallen. Why the hell do we care a damned bit about what happens at Rutgers?

For me it has to do with the interactions that we had with their fans back when we shared a conference. I was at SU from 2008-2012, which had both the nadir of syracuse football in the last Greg Robinson year, and the prime Schiano years at Rutgers. During that time I was also much more active on both this site, and this site's predecessor. The online Rutgers community is by far the worst group of fans that I've had the misfortune of dealing with. At least with our other rivals, we have either a history (G-Town, Nova), or they could back up the smack with recent or historical success (WVU, Uconn in BB). Rutgers had 2-3 decent seasons ever, but you would think they were Ohio State with how they acted. I get great pleasure from watching their ineptitude.

Well, speaking purely for myself, it's because they rhyme with Buttgers.

For me it has to do with the interactions that we had with their fans back when we shared a conference. I was at SU from 2008-2012, which had both the nadir of syracuse football in the last Greg Robinson year, and the prime Schiano years at Rutgers. During that time I was also much more active on both this site, and this site's predecessor. The online Rutgers community is by far the worst group of fans that I've had the misfortune of dealing with. At least with our other rivals, we have either a history (G-Town, Nova), or they could back up the smack with recent or historical success (WVU, Uconn in BB). Rutgers had 2-3 decent seasons ever, but you would think they were Ohio State with how they acted. I get great pleasure from watching their ineptitude.

I get this. All the same, putting Rutgers in their place is about naming their current irrelevancy. Paying no attention is the ultimate dis.

Last edited:

I grew up in upstate NY up until 9th grade, then moved to Ohio. After college I moved to Texas. I've been in Texas almost twice as long as I lived in NY. That said, I've never dropped my SU fandom. I don't drop allegiances because of life circumstances, just as I don't drop my disdain for certain programs because of life circumstances. Rutgers will forever be a target of disdain.

I contribute to this thread occasionally but it really doesn't require much effort. The stories seem to just find themselves.
Agreed, kinda like fishing with dynamite.

H3a7k8nI8xsZi.gif

The reason you’re wrong is that this has nothing to do with being insecure or thinking of them as a rival.

They are funny and their ability to step on the rake day after day is unmatched. I joke about hating them - but it’s reallly just kind of like a reverse national natural monument, if said monument was a dumpster fire you were tasking clowns to put out*. That’s it.

*edit: while a group of fans insist that it’s not a dumpster fire with clowns trying to put it out - thus becoming part of the exhibit.

I get this. All the same, putting Rutgers in their place is about naming their current irrelevancy. Paying no attention is the ultimate dis.
Nope. I hate the following franchises/programs and forever will:

Rutgers
Louisville
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
Notre Dame
West Virginia
PSU
Virginia Tech

BTW-one of these teams is not like the others......

What the thread naysayers don’t realize is, other fanbases like Michigan and Ohio State create threads to mock and ridicule Rutgers as well, they just haven’t had the brilliant idea of one all-encompassing dumpsterfire thread.

Rutgers brings it on itself by just being who they are.

I grew up in Syracuse and started attending SU games in 1976. I've lived in New Jersey since 2000. I work 2 miles from campus and have had a front row seat to their delusion. That's a main reason why I mock Rutgers. I'd mock Rutgers if we were 11-0, just as easily as if we were 0-11. As TheCusian stated, they provide comic relief unparalleled by any other school that I know of. Combine that with their ineptitude on the field, and it just makes sense to laugh at them. Even if they somehow ascend to the heights of college football (hard to imagine), I'm sure that they would still provide us with fodder for this thread.

The righteous indignation of some posters who lament about this thread, yet feel compelled to post in it is puzzling. Apparently, they do not know the location of the Ignore button.

View attachment 139221
And i freely admit to, at one time, being one of those thread detractors, but I’ve come around to at least accepting that this thread WILL exist. Now, SHOULD it exist? That’s another question.
It cannot be denied however that the thread writes itself, no embellishments required.
I do hope that as we move further and further away from the GERG Era days, that we’ll be more focused on our winning, than on what that turd program at RU is, or isn’t doing. LGO

And i freely admit to, at one time, being one of those thread detractors, but I’ve come around to at least accepting that this thread WILL exist. Now, SHOULD it exist? That’s another question.
It cannot be denied however that the thread writes itself, no embellishments required.
I do hope that as we move further and further away from the GERG Era days, that we’ll be more focused on our winning, than on what that turd program at RU is, or isn’t doing. LGO
It's not going to go away and it's not because of their turdiness or our own level of greatness. People must understand one thing. Rutgers is the closest P5 school to us in terms of geographic location. They are closer than PSU and closer than BC. That alone will be enough to keep a close eye on their dumpster fire lest we get burned.

This thread exists and will continue to exist if for no other reason than to consolidate all the Rutgers chatter. If it didn’t exist there would be separate threads each week about the Rutgers betting line, their credit card scandal, Chris Ash’s ineptitude etc.and an equal amount of posts chastising the OP for talking about Rutgers.

If there are those who think that closing this thread is going to reduce the number of Rutgers posts, they have lost their mind.

Since they’re going to exist anyway, we can reduce the clutter and put them all in one easy to find location. And it’s easier for the moderators.

It's not going to go away and it's not because of their turdiness or our own level of greatness. People must understand one thing. Rutgers is the closest P5 school to us in terms of geographic location. They are closer than PSU and closer than BC. That alone will be enough to keep a close eye on their dumpster fire lest we get burned.
Fair enough. But I would buy this theory if our level of interest in RU had existed prior to GERG, and before Shady. I never remembered Rutgers as being anything more than an afterthought. And yes, things did evolve and change, but RU was never a “rival”, and indeed, I’d venture to say that this “rivalry” is more on message boards, than real life.
It’s like it all converged at once: our ineptitude, their ascendancy, and the internet msg forums. JMHO

Fair enough. But I would buy this theory if our level of interest in RU had existed prior to GERG, and before Shady. I never remembered Rutgers as being anything more than an afterthought. And yes, things did evolve and change, but RU was never a “rival”, and indeed, I’d venture to say that this “rivalry” is more on message boards, than real life.
It’s like it all converged at once: our ineptitude, their ascendancy, and the internet msg forums. JMHO
A simple search on this site yields 60+ threads with Rutgers in the title in 2011 alone - most making fun of them. It didn't happen all at once. Too bad we don't have a database containing posts from the previous sites we've been on. Cali's posts alone would convince you this isn't an overnight phenomenon.

I agree, Rutgers was never a rival, but they are infinitely easy (and fun!) to make fun of.

I wasn't talking about a rivalry, just this thread. It exists because they are closest P5 team to us and habitually make asses out of themselves. It does sort of make sense the same way people in Syracuse make fun of Oswego county and Utica.

I wasn't talking about a rivalry, just this thread. It exists because they are closest P5 team to us and habitually make asses out of themselves. It does sort of make sense the same way people in Syracuse make fun of Oswego county and Utica.
Ped State is closer and so is Pitt, otherwise spot on!

Ped State is closer and so is Pitt, otherwise spot on!
I'll give you PSU but say shenanigans on Pitt.
Syracuse to PSU - 232
Syracuse to Rutgers - 237
Syracuse to BC - 306
Syracuse to Pitt - 361

When I looked earlier I admit I was lazy and looked at the drive times. Rutgers was 9 min closer than PSU even if it is 5 more miles away