The Bilas Index | Syracusefan.com

The Bilas Index

OrangeTown

Starter
Jay does a regular ESPN Insider article for his top 68 teams leading toward the tournament.

Here's the link for those with Insider access: The Bilas Index: The truth about this college basketball season

Since it's an Insider article, I will simply paraphrase his Syracuse portion.

He has us ranked 44. How fitting.

He says Boeheim continues to make the NCAA look silly and petty with the tournament run last year when we barely got in. He states that vacating wins is a ridiculous practice especially with such tiny amounts of extra benefits and most people don't bother to really get into the facts of an infractions case, which the NCAA uses to ruin reputations and shame people publicly. He goes on to mention that Boeheim is still one of only 2 coaches in D1 men's basketball history to hand his opponents 1,000 losses.

I was curious if anyone knew if Jay was also prohibited from saying JB has 1000 wins. Thankfully he has been outspoken on the topic in favor of JB, but always states it as JB has given the opponents 1000 losses. Thus, he is also abiding by the rules set up by the NCAA sanctions.

I was curious if anyone knew if Jay was also prohibited from saying JB has 1000 wins. Thankfully he has been outspoken on the topic in favor of JB, but always states it as JB has given the opponents 1000 losses. Thus, he is also abiding by the rules set up by the NCAA sanctions.

Why would he be [honest question]? He's a broadcaster--the NCAA doesn't have any jurisdiction over what he says or does.

Why would he be [honest question]? He's a broadcaster--the NCAA doesn't have any jurisdiction over what he says or does.
Could be an ESPN thing. Might have been instructed on do's and don'ts from above.

On the other hand, I thought I saw a tweet from him where he said JB had 1,000 wins.

NCAA has no authority over ESPN

Jay seems to like to show the NCAA's inconsistencies and how they are half assed. I think he is saying the 1000 losses to show they can only take the wins away but the losses can't be changed as way to show publicly how silly the NCAA is. Kind of stick it to them statement

Jay does a regular ESPN Insider article for his top 68 teams leading toward the tournament.

Here's the link for those with Insider access: The Bilas Index: The truth about this college basketball season

He says Boeheim continues to make the NCAA look silly and petty with the tournament run last year when we barely got in. He states that vacating wins is a ridiculous practice especially with such tiny amounts of extra benefits and most people don't bother to really get into the facts of an infractions case, which the NCAA uses to ruin reputations and shame people publicly. He goes on to mention that Boeheim is still one of only 2 coaches in D1 men's basketball history to hand his opponents 1,000 losses.

I think he's trying to say that the NCAA ruins reputations and shames people publicly to slow teams up that aren't the favorite teams.

Not to dummify this down too much, but just want to confirm to everyone 44 is very bubblicious... basically an 11 seed. we are 1 of the last 3 or so teams in.

Recruiting Bilas has proven quite fortuitous for JB. Sure he missed on him, but I think that relationship and interest in him as a player, has resonated through the years. Bilas has always been very pro-SU, and especially JB.

No such restriction at ESPN. Seth Greenberg continually cites the 1000 wins. Even Andy Katz has said 1000 wins ("and no asterisk"). The only strictures apply to SU and JB. And if everyone else continues to say 1000 ... it will become accepted as such ... and the NCAA be damned!

No such restriction at ESPN. Seth Greenberg continually cites the 1000 wins. Even Andy Katz has said 1000 wins ("and no asterisk"). The only strictures apply to SU and JB. And if everyone else continues to say 1000 ... it will become accepted as such ... and the NCAA be damned!

absolute - non alternative - fact

Recruiting Bilas has proven quite fortuitous for JB. Sure he missed on him, but I think that relationship and interest in him as a player, has resonated through the years. Bilas has always been very pro-SU, and especially JB.
that, and he is close to Coach K, who is Boeheim's best friend in the coaching business. The respect his coach has for JB has to have an influence.

can you imagine what it would be like to have dinner with K and Boeheim and listen to them talk hoops? It would be like getting a master's degree in hoopology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom