the "boeheim can't recruit" crowd right now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the "boeheim can't recruit" crowd right now

Love Chance, but damn it would be nice to snag Roddy too, and really stick it to UCon fans, who would be furious. I guess Cruz works for that too, but that’s almost overkill.

Last edited:
Awesome couple of days. Going back to the really good recruiting runs prior to the schollie reduction when they were locking up guys 2 to 3 classes away. The penalties definitely took there toll. JAB is a very good talent evaluator. Always projects guys from very early stages of high school ball. He also is a very good recruiter.

Now people can hate me for thinking this but part of me believes Covid has evened out the race a little bit. A lot of competitors the last few years have had a heavy presence of their head coach on the road at events/school visits. Nobody can do that at the moment so JAB is showing off his recruiting chops. Just one man's opinion.

Dior in the ears of ballers certainly helps as well!

Last edited:
Love Chance, but damn it would be nice to snag Roddy too, and really stick it to UCon fans, who would be furious. I guess Cruz works for that too, but that’s almost overkill.
Lol we’ll see. They won the Akok/Andre battles. Akok doesn’t bother me. But we’ll see what Andre ends up doing.

No reason we cannot get back to where we were recruiting wise, ie, every year at least one or two top fifty kids, an occasional top ten kid, and being a selector school for the kids ranked between 50 and 100.

Hate to be a cynic but I can't help but think that we found a new way to deliver a bag. And I say that knowing that every elite program does it and if they do so should we.

Glass half full - now that all of the other programs CAN’T deliver a bag, we’re back on an even footing;
and JB, Red, Griff, & GMac can compete on the merits of the program, and not whose sneaker company or boosters have the largest gym bags.

That said - I almost don’t care how we’re doing it, just really glad we are.

I'd love to see Roddy don the orange uniform. Our best hope is that he continues the Cuse legacy coming out of Niagara Falls (J.Flynn and Harris from same town). After reviewing his tape, he seems like an awesome fit with Dior and is unlikely to be the one and done type.

Zion will get his minutes backing up both guard spots. Richmond might not even be here in 2022. He’s that good.
Whoa I like Richmond but can we pump the breaks a little after goodine and carey let's not put him in the NBA after a year or two quite yet.

Whoa I like Richmond but can we pump the breaks a little after goodine and carey let's not put him in the NBA after a year or two quite yet.

Agreed. Just saying I think the kid bolts if he’s getting NBA looks. Not a lot of time at the guard spot in 2022

Agreed. Just saying I think the kid bolts if he’s getting NBA looks. Not a lot of time at the guard spot in 2022
Which is why I think Zion is a tough sell - unless it’s something like 30mpg each for JG3/Dior and 20mpg for Zion, I think he’d be ok with that. But Kadary will be behind JG and Buddy the next 2 years so If he gets nba looks after that, that’s impressive lol

Which is why I think Zion is a tough sell - unless it’s something like 30mpg each for JG3/Dior and 20mpg for Zion, I think he’d be ok with that. But Kadary will be behind JG and Buddy the next 2 years so If he gets nba looks after that, that’s impressive lol
Zion gets his minutes no matter what. That’s why Richmond might leave early if he’s getting NBA attention. Plus Richmond will get time at the 3 spot.

I'd love to see Roddy don the orange uniform. Our best hope is that he continues the Cuse legacy coming out of Niagara Falls (J.Flynn and Harris from same town). After reviewing his tape, he seems like an awesome fit with Dior and is unlikely to be the one and done type.

Yeah, I love his game, and he may actually be better for us than Chance in a way. Unless Chance plays the 3, but to me that’s iffy with his size right now. If JG is still here, which he should be, then I don’t see how he doesn’t get around 30 minutes a game. And then of course you have Dior, so not sure that Chance would be all that happy with his role, but I have no idea at all, just purely guessing.

That’s all without even mentioning Kadary, but maybe he’s gone by then, and I think he could definitely play the 3 on D. More so than Chance, IMO. Chance would possibly be looking at maybe 20 MPG, which isn’t turrible, but a kid that talented is usually looking for more. Again, no clue though. Dion only got 16 MPG his first year, but more like 20 in big games. Chance could have a similar role, but who do you bench late? Taking JG off the floor with his experience, and steady ball handling is meh, along with being the best FT shooter. And Dior ain’t sitting late.

Maybe JG takes a bit of a backseat, though that’s tough to imagine as a senior, and I don’t want to see that happen at all. I think he’s going to be great for us by then, and really by his Junior year. It could be something like 27 for Joe, 27 for Dior, then we’d have 26 available for Chance. That would be fair for everyone, in my eyes. I hate saying that since it should just be whoever earns it, and gives you the best chance to win, but that’s the way of the basketball world. JB is never going to play a kid just to play him, but I just don’t want a sticky situation that ends up with some kids unhappy with their PT, and all the talent in the world isn’t gonna win it all if they’re not a cohesive unit. Well, at least not an unhappy unit.

With Roddy, you have a similar player to Chance, but one that would seemingly be more fit for a lesser role as a frosh, and I don’t think you’d have to worry about him being as unhappy waiting to get the keys as a sophomore. And I love his size for the top of the zone. He’s built to play D for us. Kid has strength similar to Dion, or is on his way to that, IMO, and he could end up on the same trajectory. Plus all he’s been doing during the shutdown is working on his body. He works hard, and is a great kid with what I think is a level of maturity that you don’t see all the time from a sophomore in HS. Not to mention that his offensive game ain’t too shabby either. He really doesn’t have many weaknesses, and has the desire to work on whatever he needs to. Loves to pass, but can pretty much get any shot he wants. Great motor, and brings it just as much on D, as he does on offense. I could go on, but y‘all get the idea, and probably know all this already.

I’ll let JB, and the crew figure this one out. If Roddy jumped on the offer now, and that meant we lost out on Chance, then so be it. That’s just me, and hey, why not both?! Sounds like Roddy jumping on the offer early isn’t going to happen because he still wants to make the rounds, and visit campuses. There’s an article that says he’s basically putting his recruitment on hold with the pandemic ruining his ability to show out for more coaches. Still, the fact that he’s at least seen what it’s like at Syracuse a bit could be beneficial with a lot of kids looking to stay closer to home. Who knows. Haven’t even mentioned Cruz, and call me crazy, but I’m honestly good on all that. Just think it’s too many egos to please at that point, if we end up with Chance, and especially if Roddy comes aboard as well.

These things usually have a way of working themselves out just fine, as we’ve seen lately, and with JB firing on all cylinders, along with Red being an absolute monster recruiter that kids love, rightfully so, I’m not worried in the least. And it doesn’t hurt having Dior out there hyping us up. Who wouldn’t want him as their PG? Nothing better than having these “issues” that we haven’t had in a while, or maybe even ever, outside of maybe the Pearl recruitment, which was a tad before my time, so just going on what I’ve read here.

Anyway, I could go on, and on. I’m sure that’s obvious by now. But, times are good for us, and just thinking about the potential squads we could have gets me a rambling.

Last edited:
giphy (6).gif

and the "just wait till we are all the way out of the shadow of sanctions crowd" are like

It's amazing to me that there was a segment of the fanbase that went to such extensive lengths trying to pretend that the sanctions weren't a major impact on the product we saw on the court the last few years. Not the only factor, but a major one.

Yeah, I love his game, and he may actually be better for us than Chance in a way. Unless Chance plays the 3, but to me that’s iffy with his size right now. If JG is still here, which he should be, then I don’t see how he doesn’t get around 30 minutes a game. And then of course you have Dior, so not sure that Chance would be all that happy with his role, but I have no idea at all, just purely guessing.

That’s all without even mentioning Kadary, but maybe he’s gone by then, and I think he could definitely play the 3 on D. More so than Chance, IMO. Chance would possibly be looking at maybe 20 MPG, which isn’t turrible, but a kid that talented is usually looking for more. Again, no clue though. Dion only got 16 MPG his first year, but more like 20 in big games, and was out there in crunch time. Chance could have a similar role, but who do you bench late? Taking JG off the floor with his experience, and steady ball handling is meh, along with being the best FT shooter. And Dior ain’t sitting late.

Maybe JG takes a bit of a backseat, though that’s tough to imagine as a senior, and I don’t want to see that happen at all. I think he’s going to be great for us by then, and really by his Junior year. It could be something like 26 for Joe, 27 for Dior, then we’d have 27 available for Chance. That would be fair for everyone, in my eyes. I hate saying that since it should just be whoever earns it, and gives you the best chance to win, but that’s the way of the basketball world. JB is never going to play a kid just to play him, but I just don’t want a sticky situation that ends up with some kids unhappy with their PT, and all the talent in the world isn’t gonna win it all if they’re not a cohesive unit. Well, at least not an unhappy unit.

With Roddy, you have a similar player to Chance, but one that would seemingly be more fit for a lesser role as a frosh, and I don’t think you’d have to worry about him being as unhappy waiting to get the keys as a sophomore. And I love his size for the top of the zone. He’s built to play D for us. Kid has strength similar to Dion, or is on his way to that, IMO, and he could end up on the same trajectory. Plus all he’s been doing during the shutdown is working on his body. He works hard, and is a great kid with what I think is a level of maturity that you don’t see all the time from a sophomore in HS. Not to mention that his offensive game ain’t too shabby either. He really doesn’t have many weaknesses, and has the desire to work on whatever he needs to. Loves to pass, but can pretty much get any shot he wants. Great motor, and brings it just as much on D, as he does on offense. I could go on, but y‘all get the idea, and probably know all this already.

I’ll let JB, and the crew figure this one out. If Roddy jumped on the offer now, and that meant we lost out on Chance, then so be it. That’s just me, and hey, why not both?! Sounds like Roddy jumping on the offer early isn’t going to happen because he still wants to make the rounds, and visit campuses. There’s an article that says he’s basically putting his recruitment on hold with the pandemic ruining his ability to show out for more coaches. Still, the fact that he’s at least seen what it’s like at Syracuse a bit could be beneficial with a lot of kids looking to stay closer to home. Who knows. Haven’t even mentioned Cruz, and call me crazy, but I’m honestly good on all that. Just think it’s too many egos to please at that point, if we end up with Chance, and especially if Roddy comes aboard as well.

These things usually have a way of working themselves out just fine, as we’ve seen lately, and with JB firing on all cylinders, along with Red being an absolute monster recruiter that kids love, rightfully so, I’m not worried in the least. And it doesn’t hurt having Dior out there in Who wouldn’t want him as their PG? Nothing better than having these “issues” that we haven’t had in a while, or maybe even ever, outside of maybe the Pearl recruitment, which was a tad before my time, so just going on what I’ve read here.

Anyway, I could go on, and on. I’m sure that’s obvious by now. But, times are good for us, and just thinking about the potential squads we could have gets me a rambling.

Westry already gave the thumbs up. The minutes work themselves out. Only Dior and Zion want out after a year. Westry leaves after 2 most likely.

Westry already gave the thumbs up. The minutes work themselves out. Only Dior and Zion want out after a year. Westry leaves after 2 most likely.

Works for me. If Chance is good with it, and will be here for 2, then that’s awesome. I still think throwing Zion into that mix could be a recipe for disaster, but maybe not since they all seem to like each other. You never know though when the season starts, and someone is stuck watching more than he wants, or thinks he should be. The way you lay it out makes me feel like Joe may be the odd man out, and I really wouldn’t be okay with that. I think he’s vital to us making the run we all want that season. The perfect compliment to all that young talent. And with Roddy over Zion, you get another year most likely, and then have that dynamic duo with Chance the next season. I don’t know. I’m not gonna stress it. No point this early. Just don’t wanna be like the countless UK teams that were loaded with young talent, but flamed out in the tourney. Nothing against Cruz, as he’s obviously elite.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom