The Bold, Brave Men of Archbold 1957: Boston U. | Syracusefan.com

The Bold, Brave Men of Archbold 1957: Boston U.

SWC75

Bored Historian
(This is unfinished business from the fall: this may be a better time to do it anyway. I'd previously covered the 1957 opener vs. Iowa State. This 1957 game was a lot more exciting than anything we saw last year, anyway.)

In the days of old, when knights were bold
Every city had its warrior man.
In the days of new, when fights are few
You will view them from a big grandstand.
In our college town one has great renown
If the game of football he should play.
With his pig-skin ball he is cheered by all,
He's the Saltine Warrior of today.

The Saltine Warrior is a bold, bad man,
And his weapon is a pigskin ball,
When on the field he takes a good, firm stand,
He's the hero of large and small.
He will rush toward the goal with might and main
His opponents all fight, but they fight in vain,
Because the Saltine Warrior is a bold, bad man,
And victorious over all.

We are early in a new era in SU football- the Scot Shafer era. 66 years ago, another era began- the Ben Schwartzwalder Era, during which SU rose from its greatest depths to its greatest heights, and then all the way back down again. It was the era into which I was born, the one I remember from my youth. I can still recall listening to the games on the radio and waiting until Tuesday to see the grainy black and white films of the previous Saturday’s games on the local news. The music played over these highlights was not “Down, Down the Field”. It was “The Saltine Warrior”. My Dad thought he knew the beginning of it and would sing “The Saltine Warrior was a bold, brave man”. I later found that the line was “bold, bad, man”. But that’s not the way I learned it and it’s not the way I like it. My heroes were not “bad” men. They were “brave” men. They were the “Bold, Brave Men of Archbold”.

Last edited:
The SI Football Preview

I have now remembered that I have another source for the 1957 college football season besides Street and Smiths and the NCAA Guide: I also have Sports Illustrated’s college football preview for that year, (their second ever, having begun the annual tradition in 1956). One of the articles is called “Saturday’s Moods” and has pictures from the 1956 season, each with a caption beginning with a word in a large, bold font. TENSION was the caption for the picture of Abe Martin addressing his TCU team before the Cotton Bowl, which was the subject of a very detailed article SI did a while back and placed on it’s website in a wonderful interactive format:

http://www.si.com/longform/cotton-bowl/

ACTION was a shot from the Syracuse Holy Cross game. I looked for a way to find it on SI.com but all they have in their vault is the text of the captions. I did find the shot here:

The recognizable numbers are that of #58, center Bill Brown, #18, halfback Ernie Jackson and #36 fullback Ed Coffin. That large helmet stripe on the player falling down in front of Jackson belongs to Jim Brown. It’s one of the best football action shots I’ve ever seen. This famous photo is from the same game:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/254717/AthyvhZCIAAxTlL.jpg

The orange is much brighter in the magazine shots than it looks in these online shots. Nobody wondered why we shouted “Go Orange!” back then.

The article on Syracuse can be found here:

http://www.si.com/vault/1957/09/23/623324/the-independents

It’s about 80% of the way to the bottom on the scroll. Not in the SI vault is a picture of Dick Lasse, with a fuller head of blonde hair than in the Post Standard supplement mentioned in my previous article. To summarize: Syracuse lost Jim Brown, Jim Ridlon and Bill Brown “but they might yet come up with an a top eastern contender…based on the copious supply of strongmen Coach Ben Schwartzwalder has in his starting line….The quarterbacking corps is neat but not gaudy Of his halfbacks, Schwartzwadler speaks with candor and a touch of melancholy: “We straightened out that situation in spring practice. It looks like Ernie Jackson and Dean Danigelis will take over for Brown and Ridlon: how they’ll be, we don’t know.” Most likely they’ll be a step slower and not nearly as destructive.”

Last edited:
The Build-Up

The Boston University article, (about 10% of the way down), has a picture, (not on the SI website) of “Jim Dean, who “powers BU backfield. Jim, #45 is in a relaxed pose with a football under his arm but a determined look on his face, his jaw jutting forward and his gaze on the horizon. The Terriers were coming off a 1-5-2 record, (including a 21-7 loss to SU), but they had a “strong bench to back up nine returning starters” and may come to life and repay some old debts this year”.

The ends were Jack Regan who “weighs more than 200 pounds but he can really move after catching a pass”, Jim Kenney, Sal Schiazza and Phil Kearny. Sinko was “especially high on slender quarterback Len Hill, a steady passer and cunning field general. Versatile Jimmy Dean is at fullback, (no he didn’t drive porches or make sausages). Backfield depth comes at halfback where four players won letters last season. Add to these Paul Canero, a promising sophomore prospect. It appears that, with a little bit of lucky, the Terriers could win four games, (of 8). “

Street and Smith’s quoted Sinko: The picture is brighter than it has been the last two years. For the first time in several years, we think we can field two elevens.” The halfbacks were Jim Courville, John Maio and Larry Fennessey. “Dean, Hill and Regan are the boys to watch. The fullback rates as the strongest defensive back, solid and quick: he punts, he passes and receives. Hill is a good passer, covers well on enemy aerials and runs the option. Regan, a married man with two children is equally powerful on offense and defense.” The magazine doesn’t say if it’s an advantage to be married with two children or a disadvantage. “Sophomores with talent are halfback Paul Canero billed as a 5-8 tank from Bayonne, New Jersey who scored 12 touchdowns in four freshman games and could muscle his way into the starting line-up in short order, Phil Kearney, an end with Regan, and guard Len Pare…..The end and backfield except quarterback, are also strong. Sinko is eliminating Split-T variations and will go with Winged-T, plus a new sweep series. A stronger running game is indicated.

The NCAA Guide simply says that Buff Donelli “hated to leave the squad, because it has the makings” but the Terriers “have far to go.” Arnie Burdick interviewed Donelli, now the coach at Columbia, about the chances his former team at Boston U. had against Syracuse. “I don’t like to put Steve Sinko, the new coach into a jam, but I can honestly say that THIS is one year that I was looking forward at Boston to playing Syracuse.” Arnie reported that Buff “also had a lot of nice things to say about a sophomore halfback, Paul Cancro, whom he thinks has got a brilliant future.”

Burdick devoted a column to quarterback Len Hill. At age 12, Len the youngest of 5 children was put in foster care as his mother died and his father had abandoned the family. His older siblings were adults. “Two interests, religion and football, seemed to keep the future BU quarterback on the straight-and-narrow. His mother had sharpened his religious bent at an early age. He became a choir boy at eight years of age. Later, when a lot of his friends were quitting school in Watertown, Mass., the lure of playing football forced Len to stay with the books when it might have easier to forget them. He went on to become a first class quarterback in high school, making the all-scholastic team his senior year. Len gravitated to Boston U. and immediately became a sensation on the Terrier frosh eleven, tossing 13 touchdown passes, which is still a record. Book learning came hard that year but Len wrestled with them late, sometimes until three in the morning, until he made the Dean’s list.”

He won the starting positon as a sophomore until he separated his shoulder against Syracuse, then alternated with two others as a junior. “He showed his passing ability by clicking on 31 of 80 throws for a gain of 474 yards, including two touchdowns.” When Sinko took over as coach, “he immediately stated “Hill is my quarterback.” Taking the pressure off Len seems to have loosened him up considerably, made him a better passer.” BU’s Sid, Larry Strumwasser, said “He’s a natural leader. Hill’s got a considerable amount of class, perhaps not as much as (Harry) Agganis but in a class with (Tommy) Gastall. Agganis had been a BU All-American in the early 50’s and Gastall had passed SU crazy, 19-41, in 1954. Both became baseball players and both were dead, Agganis of leukemia in 1955 and Gastall in a 1956 plane crash.

“Linking Hill with Gastall left a squeamish feeling in the pit of an Orange rooter. For in 1954, Gastall threw four touchdown passes against a porous Orange pass defense to help the Terriers to a handsome 41-19 victory, the last one that BU has scored over an SU eleven. And this year’s Syracuse pass defense looked no stronger than shaky last weekend when the favored Orange tied Iowa State.

The Terriers opened very impressively, nipping Massachusetts 66-6, “with a crushing display of solid, on the ground football”. They’d beaten the Redmen by only 19-6 in 1956.The 1957 team rushed for 341 yards and passed for 147 more. “The Terriers showed they will be a big test for Syracuse this week. The score was the largest and the biggest margin of victory for Boston U. in its history. Dean, Cancro and Maio scored the first three touchdowns. Hill threw to Kenney for the fourth score Fennessey caught a couple more scores, one from reserve quarterback Amelio DiNeto. Reserves Hugo Bolin and Tom O’Connell accounted for the other three scores, two by O’Connell. Half the points, 33, came in the third quarter. Sinko said that his players like the 3:30PM start time because that’s when they normally practiced. They felt “comfortable”. Of course, the Minutemen, (actually they were the’ Redmen’ back then), also practiced at that time and I doubt they were very comfortable.

The Syracuse coaching staff was disappointed with the work of Dick Aloise at left end, where Iowa State had had their greatest success. They decided to give Glenn Preising, a 6-0 195 senior from Cleveland, Ohio, “considerably smaller than the giant Aloise”, a shot in his place. There was a picture of the baby-faced Preising reaching for a pass, (helmetless) in practice. Tom Stephens was getting over his charley horse and might get the starting nod over Dave Baker. Sophomore Johnny Burgos was expected to get some playing time, as well. “Injury-wise, the Hill troops came through their opener with nothing more hurt than their pride, aside from the usual game bruises.” A couple of casualties were Dick Lasse’s two front teeth, the result of his failing to wear his mouthpiece on one play.

On Tuesday the Herald had an intimidating picture of five BU players, all with footballs in their gut and arms tightly wrapped around them, jumping into the air and shouting with the title “THESE BARKING TERRIERS MAY BITE”. Fortunately the rules, even in 1957, allowed for teams to use only one football at a time. They were Hugo Bolin, Larry Fennessy, Jimmy Dean, Paul Cancro and Johnny Maio.

New coach Steve Sinko said he hadn’t wanted to beat Massachusetts by a score like 66-6, (very rare in those days if you weren’t Oklahoma), but he’d run out of subs. Ironically such a one-sided defeat underscored Sinko’s concerns about his depth. “That game was good only in that it might give my kids confidence.” He also said he’d have preferred it if Ben Schwartzwalder’s team had won over Iowa State because, “I know they’ll be ready for us now….Syracuse is THE team on our schedule. I don’t know who else our boys would be saving ourselves for.” Sinko was an assistant promoted to the head coaching job after Buff Donelli left for Columbia in part because of a petition the players presented to the university president to have Sinko named their new coach.

“Although BU stayed basically on the ground against UMASS Sinko & Co. are expected to use an aerial attack to overcome Syracuse’s strong line. The late-game success of Iowa State in the air has encouraged the Terrier thinking along those lines.” Like the Cyclones, BU had a big target to throw to. Jim “Kenney is a 6-4 215 pound junior who was injured in the opening game last year and missed the rest of the season. He is regarded as the bets end prospect in BU history. Three passes were thrown to Kenney in the UMASS opener. He caught all, two for 32 and 46 yard gains. A punter, too, he kicked a 56 yarder which died on UMASS’s 4.“

Wednesday’s Post had another ‘action’ shot form the practice field of “Glen Stefano, speedy sophomore back from Utica”, who was expected to see “lots of action”. Glen looks as if he’s just caught a pass and is, for some reason turning back at the quarterback to shout at him. But the article next to it declared the upcoming contest to be “a duel between the boys who could be the East’s two best fullbacks, Bill Orange’s Ed Coffin and Jimmy Dean of BU…Coffin, the 195 pound ex-GI was the teeth of the Syracuse offense against Iowa State…A hard-hitting performer with good bucking-back speed, Coffin seems to have come into his own now that the shadows of Jim Brown and Jim Ridlon, the 1956 ball-toting stars, have bene removed. Against Iowa State, the 25 year old senior romped 61 yards in 12 carries, for an average of a shade over five yards per try. As a linebacker, Ed teamed with Mike Bill to do a fine job in helping to throttle the Cyclone ground attack….Dean…Is being touted as a 1958 All-American. A 185 pound junior from Lowell, Mass., Jim has fine speed and good power for man his size.” Rocky Pirro: “He’s a real fine full back and will give us lots of trouble.” Dean, like Chuck Zimmerman, started his career at Fordham and left when the Rams gave up football in 1954, so they were briefly teammates.

Pirro told Bill Reddy “Boston University is a hellava lot better club than Iowa State. This is the best team I’ve seen at BU since I’ve been watching them during the past five or six years.” Reddy: “There’s a real need for all-around belt tightening on the Orange squad. It will have to play its best to stay in the game with the Terriers and even its best may not be good enough to win.”

Meanwhile Chuck Zimmerman seemed to be tightening his grip on the quarterback situation. Satisfied with him but not with his halfback situation, Ben was considering switching his back-up Dan Fogarty “a 170 pound pepperbox” to halfback. Ernie Jackson, “top punter and defensive ace, had difficulty getting untracked offensively” and Dean DeAngelis “cracked up slightly.” A young speedster, Ed Bowers, was getting some attention as well. Jim Anderson, “a 181 pound Oneonta boy”, who gained 32 yards in 3 carries against Iowa State, was moved over from fullback. On Friday it was reported that Tom Stephens would also miss this game and DeAngleis was doubtful so the starting halfbacks would be Fogarty and Dave Baker.

Bill Reddy noted that SU was favored by 13 points. “On reason that the Syracuse-BU game is attracting little attention around the country is that Boston University is one of the few major elevens for which a national ‘line’ isn’t quoted. The 13 point quotation favoring Syracuse is strictly a local affair…One thing is certain: Syracuse not only won’t make the 13 point spot but it won’t escape unbeaten if there’s repletion of last week’s lethargy by the home squad… Both coaches have stated that their plans are to alternate 2 teams. Today the Orangemen who will be meeting a foe who has been particularly pesky over the years will probably offer a firm ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on whether or not the current Hill entry has a fighting chance to defend its 1956 Lambert Trophy laurels.”

Arnie Burdick predicted a “touchdown parade”, noting that “both teams have always scored against each other” and “Syracuse-Boston games have always produced a lot of thrills”. He said it was “a toss-up because with the Orange a slight choice because it’s at home. They regard Syracuse at “The Game” of the season- the contest that will give them Eastern and National prestige if they can win.” This was a trophy game in those days: the winner got the “Beanpot”. (You would think that would go to BU-BC, not BU-Syracuse). A crowd of 18-20,000 fans were expected at Archbold.

“While there has been some mumbling and grumbling among downtown alumni over the showing of the Syracuse University football team in it’s opening game against Iowa State, interest in the squad as reflected in season ticket sales continues to mount….for the first time in history, 5,000 season ducats have been sold.”

Aftermath

Cancro gained 169 yards on both scrimmage plays and returns and was named the game MVP. BU outrushed SU 100-148 but SU held a 173-110 passing edge as Ben finally had the passing game he’s wanted for years. Chuck Zimmerman completed 6 of 10 passes. Dean led all the rushers with 80 yards. BU Coach Steve Sinko said that he had “overestimated Syracuse’s running attack and under-estimated their passing attack”. He called Zimmerman’s long pass to Fogarty that set up SU’s second touchdown “one of the most finely executed plays I’ve seen this year.” The Post Standard said it had been years since Syracuse had gained more yards through the air than on the ground.

Asked about the screen pass that was decisive in the game, Sinko said he’d signaled in a “prevent defense to eat up the clock but the signal got in too pate and the Terriers instead put on a hard rush with SU was able to take advantage of. Ben said “Their ends were rushing in constantly. In fact, they did an excellent job for the Terriers. But they left the flanks open and gave us the opening for the screen pass which turned out to be the turning point in the game. “

Sinko called the game “”one of the most exciting in our series”. Someone suggested the game was full of ‘breaks’ and that it was decided “by the way the ball bounced”. Sinko replied “That’s true but it’s nice when you get a victory because of the way the ball bounced.” And SU had that victory. Ben said “We played a scattered game. We had some good plays and then right on top of them some bad ones. I am very happy with our line play. Preising played a good game and so did Lasse. Coffin had a good day and I think Boston’s Hill is some ball player…. Boston’s Canrco looked like a dandy back.

The Herald Journal had a series of photos on the front of the sports page of the pass interference on Dick Aloise that set up SU’s second score. Syracuse is in their by now routine orange pants, white jerseys and orange helmets, which would be their regular uniform home and away for the next decade. Boston U. is in white pants and helmets with scarlet jerseys with a Baltimore Colts like double ring around the shoulders. The ball is on Aloise’s fingertops as he reaches forward for it but Leon Hill has inserted his arm between Dick’s arms as he is running by and pries Dick’s right arm away from the ball, which drops to the ground. It looks as if Hill’s arm got there before the ball. Good call.

A dark shot on page 62 shows Mautino’s pick six, a classic “step in front of one” down the sidelines, timing it perfectly. The fact that he was a guard was a sign of the times. Linemen weren’t sumo wrestlers in those days. They were more like free-style wrestlers and they could move.

A full page of pictures is entitled “Sequence camera captures aerial artistry”. The various captions tell the story: “Orange forward wall keeps Terriers away as ball leaves fingertips of Quarterback Chuck Zimmerman….Ball in flight (circled, upper right, heads toward uncovered receiver Chuck Fogarty, (Zimmerman was chucking it to Daniel Charles Fogarty)….Fogarty, who had to halt forward progress and backtrack upfield, begins to fall as he awaits pigskin…..On one knee and about to collapse to the turf, Fogarty makes catch as teammate Dick Lasse looks on. “

Then “Final Terrier touchdown is in air as pass from Len Hill to Johnny Maio sails over heads of linemen….Orange defense, caught unaware, now recognizes danger as Maio stands free in the end zone…Syracuse makes belated and fruitless attempt at pursuit as Mayo, still alone, awaits pigskin…and doubles over making fourth period catch that gave Boston a temporary 20-20 deadlock.” These shots were taken from the top of the stadium from what appears to be either the northeast or Southwest corner of the stadium, (I can’t see the opposite top of the stadium to determine which but it’s from an angle behind the end zone and much higher than the field.

The Post Standard had a shot of Mautino’s pick six on the front of the sports page. Lou has classically timed the sideline route and stepped in front of the receiver. The ball, marked by an arrow, is on its way to him and his hands are outstretched in anticipation. On the next page they have two pictures: Dean’s 36 yard scoring run for Boston and another of the 26 yard pass to Cancro, all alone in the end zone. Dean seems to have run through the whole team and is being chased or followed by every player from both squads, none of whom have a hope of catching him. The picture of Cancro, taken from just behind him, shows him still running in the end zone but turning to catch the ball. On the third page was a picture of Len Hill recovering the muffed hand-off between Zimmerman and Ed Coffin. He’s crouched down like a shortstop fielding a ground ball.

On the photo page, among shots of the world series between the Yankees and the Braves, where two more shots of the game, one of Hill interfering with Aloise and one of Zimmerman scoring the winner two plays later, entitled “”Zimmerman wraps it up”. Chuck is leaping over a submarining Charlie Wink (#58) and into the arms of a BU defender who is helpless to stop the score as he is standing in the end zone. On the front page of the paper, there was a shot of Ed Coffin diving over in the second period. Ed si having a harder time of, as a BU defender has grabbed him from behind. But Ed’s forward momentum was enough to get him into the end zone.

In Monday’s columns, Bill Reddy quoted Ben Schwartzwalder: “We played a better game against Boston University and BU had a better tam than Iowa State”. It’s a relevant point: people look back at SU’s old schedules and conclude they “weren’t playing anybody back” because they played Colgate, Cornell, Holy Cross, Boston University, Fordham, etc. and they forget that in the one-platoon, limited substation era, it was more possible for middle-sized and private schools to be competitive, (actually, schools like Syracuse). We weren’t playing bad teams when we played those schools.

Reddy reported that Syracuse had gotten out of the game without any serious injuries and players who had come in hobbled like Tom Stephens, Dean DeAngelis, Chuck Fogarty and Ernie Jackson, all played well. “The line looked strong and the improvement behind the line was heartening.”

The Old Scout hadn’t gotten much sleep before he talked to Arnie Burdick. “Still playing over that ball game….guess my nerves are shot. …Despite what most people are saying, it wasn’t a bad defensive ball game that Syracuse played. If you can wipe out a few plays here and there- the boys seemed to lapse badly when something went against them and it usually cost them. Like after the Baker fumble: four plays later Boston had its first score. Or after Cancro shook free near the end of the first half, when it looked like he was trapped at the line: two plays later, BU tallied again. But on only two occasions was Boston able to put together two or more first downs: pretty good work. And aside from those lapses, Syracuse’s pass defense looked a lot better than it did a week ago. …they intercepted two passes, which scored a touchdown and set up another. And they put some real heat on passer Hill on a good many plays. Eight completions out of 12 is not a bad pass defense against an artist of Hill’s caliber.” Then the O.S. registered complaints about not “sticking to the receivers like glue” some bad pursuit angles and letting BU “off the hook” on third and fourth down too many times. Arnie got him some aspirin.

“When the Old Scout was asked about the Orange offense, he began to sputter and stumble and fume.” He moaned “It’s about time that some of the criticism be taken off the Hill halfbacks, and put on the blocking up ahead of them. Everyone knew that without Brown and Ridlon, Syracuse halfbacking wasn’t going to be super this fall. But there’s no law against giving them some help, opening some holes for them. Even Brown ran better when he had help.“ Syracuse had gotten only three rushing first downs, “a frightening low”. The O.S. acknowledged that “Zimmerman did a fine job throwing and faking and there’s no question he had theNnew Englanders upset plenty.” But he wanted him to run the ball more.

O.SD. praised the refs for not playing “Drop the Handkerchief”, noting that there were no 15 yard penalties in “a rugged game…it seems to me the fans enjoy it more this way.”

The Terriers would be obliterated by future SU opponent West Virginia in their next game, 6-46 and later to future SU rival Boston College, 2-27 but they won all their other games to finish 5-3-0 after a 1-5-2 record the previous season.

Great post as always. You truly have a gift. Thank you for another gem.

ACTION was a shot from the Syracuse Holy Cross game. I looked for a way to find it on SI.com but all they have in their vault is the text of the captions. I did find the shot here:

The recognizable numbers are that of #58, center Bill Brown, #18, halfback Ernie Jackson and #36 fullback Ed Coffin. That large helmet stripe on the player falling down in front of Jackson belongs to Jim Brown. It’s one of the best football action shots I’ve ever seen. This famous photo is from the same game:

I don't why but this link isn't showing up. Go to Getty images.com, (add in the http, etc. and then add in:detail/news-photo/syracuse-player-in-action-rushing-vs-holy-cross-at-archbold-news-photo/452978422

Actually, here it is:
452978422-college-football-syracuse-player-in-action-gettyimages.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom