the buddy question from citrus tv | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

the buddy question from citrus tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealing with the media has always been JB's weak point. He gets little credit for his accomplishments from the media because he's so surly and needlessly confrontational with them. Just contrast his pressers with Hop after Washington's games in the Pac 12 tourney and 1st round NCAAT. Totally different vibe.

Always thought it flowed from a very deep-seated insecurity.

Has every reason to be confident in his accomplishments and at least civil to questioners, yet he can't get there.

Not a great look for a representative of a university in 2019.

I’m honestly pretty surprised and disappointed at the excuse making on this forum for what was pretty indisputably rude and boorish conduct.

To stare down anyone, much less a college kid, and call him a schmuck in front of the entire press corps like that is verbal abuse with absolutely no legitimate purpose. If anyone did that in the context of business or anything else at a press conference it would be considered scandalous. That it happened in response to a totally legitimate and neutrally worded question about a players performance just makes things even worse.

Lets be very clear, this was an open ended and neutrally worded question about the performance of a guy who played 39 minutes, scored zero points, and was at the top of a zone that got shredded from deep. A vigorous defense of Buddy on the basis of the situation he was thrust into (as a true freshman) would have been totally appropriate and nobody would’ve been upset about it. But bullying will always draw condemnation from me regardless of who the bully is.

It's a stupid question. He played bad and everyone with two eyes knows that. So to ask what do you think of a player that played bad is dumb in my opinion. He also only asking the question because he knows it's his kid and he is trying to get a rise out of him when he is pissed about being eliminated.
He should have seen this coming. If u can’t answer nicely knowing it’s your kid one way or the other don’t coach ur kid. It’s never easy.

One thing that's always annoyed me is that the athletics department loves to brag about Sportscaster U, and ask the sportscasting alums for big donations, but treats the student media like second rate media in a lot of ways, the most obvious being Boeheim's treatment of student media and some seating issues. Other schools do it too, while a lot of them treat the student media (home and away) as well as the regular media.

It is what it is, and you can think asking a question about Buddy was overkill at that point, but it's not like he said, "Coach, would you have played him 39 minutes if he wasn't your son?" It's not like he made any insinuation about it being his son.

Boeheim could have easily answered about how he didn't shoot the ball well, but it happens, or Baylor did X to defend him and they did a good job, or he got tired from all the minutes, or simply, "He had a bad game, it happens." To call the kid a schmuck for it makes Boeheim a schmuck. It wasn't a loaded question even if it wasn't a good question.

And he can complain about the kid asking Tyus if he'll be back, but that's just standard stuff after the last game of the year.

I don't think they shut him down. He got some good looks he has been making but missed them. That happens. Jalen Carey has struggled all year and is not an improvement on offense or defense. What is the point of saying that?
Do you have any objectivity when it comes to JB?

Some of the student reporters are just trying to get a rise out of JB. They can be s. JB knows the ones who are doing their jobs compared to the ones with an agenda.
Ok sure. How about JB quits coaching and starts teaching classes at Newhouse

It's a stupid question. He played bad and everyone with two eyes knows that. So to ask what do you think of a player that played bad is dumb in my opinion. He also only asking the question because he knows it's his kid and he is trying to get a rise out of him when he is pissed about being eliminated.
Part of the job is to answer questions, some of which are stupid. He needs to retire .

Yes, it was a loaded question, that's for sure. Not an innocent question, at all.
These guys on here would like to forget or overlook that fact.

The kid —- if that what he is —- got exactly what he deserved.

Welcome to tha adult world, Sonny. Where you can’t ask loaded questions and get away with it.

But, I wouldn’t expect anything different from the usual suspects on here. They seem to actually like the pap that most coaches dole out a press conferences.

Just three more years, Boeheim critics. Or you can move on and root for another program. You can drop those orange t-shirts off at Good Will.

Because he asked him what he thought about a player's performance? He really needed to get in a stare down with a 20 year old college reporter and call him a schmuck? You can't be serious. You really do play the role of JB apologist so very well.

You don’t seem to have watched the press conference.

If you believe that wasn’t a loaded question, you have other problems.

Whether the “reporter” is 20 or 60, doesn’t matter. This is the “big time” and it’s for adults, not kids learning the ropes. That’s what high school sports are for.

He should have seen this coming. If u can’t answer nicely knowing it’s your kid one way or the other don’t coach ur kid. It’s never easy.
Exactly. JB wasn’t forced to coach his kid. He needs to own it.

You don’t seem to have watched the press conference.

If you believe that wasn’t a loaded question, you have other problems.

Whether the “reporter” is 20 or 60, doesn’t matter. This is the “big time” and it’s for adults, not kids learning the ropes. That’s what high school sports are for.
So your opinion is that it is fine that the representative of our university called a college kid a ( that is what smuck means) in public? Is there anything that JB could do that you would find objectionable?

So your opinion is that it is fine that the representative of our university called a college kid a ( that is what smuck means) in public? Is there anything that JB could do that you would find objectionable?

Dasher, you know the answer to this: NO.

But, I'd be willing to bet that you won't get a straight answer to your question.

Boeheim could have easily answered about how he didn't shoot the ball well, but it happens, or Baylor did X to defend him and they did a good job, or he got tired from all the minutes, or simply, "He had a bad game, it happens." To call the kid a schmuck for it makes Boeheim a schmuck. It wasn't a loaded question even if it wasn't a good question.

And he can complain about the kid asking Tyus if he'll be back, but that's just standard stuff after the last game of the year.

Maybe the first question to Tyus should have been about difficulty he had scoring down the stretch...whether he had tired legs. Or about the impact of Frank Howard's absence (which was asked).
But other than that...what other relevant question is there for Tyus?

As for Coach Boeheim...you see why he may not be a favorite of some media members.
The LAST people he should be discourteous to are the students.

That was a basic question...although probably one that should have been asked sooner.
And the follow-up should have been...if Buddy was struggling so much why not try Elijah Hughes at the 2?

All that said...it can be a good learning experience for student reporters...dealing with someone who is being nasty or a jack--.

And getting ousted from the tournament is no excuse for the coach.
I've talked with coaches whose teams were just blown out and they were professional, even engaging and realize you're just doing your job.

What I don’t get is the kid had a bad game. Ok. When any other kid has a bad game he calls them out without question. His problem is gonna be how he treats these kids. If he treats them the same and they all get called out ok fine. When u coach your kid, u almost have to be harder on him so the team see s that. He is in a tough spot. Although it’s a tough spot that they decided to have. I just thought Jim coulda been a bit more reflective instead of pissed. He gonna get three more years of this. What did he think was gonna happen.

why does he have to ask where the question came from ? didn't do that to any of the other reporters. does he answer differently if the kid is from another news outlet ? he's definitely jeklyll and hyde with national media versus the local guys. only time he ever was somewhat respectful was after his accident. and that lasted all of one game.

Don’t feel bad for the kid. If he was anything like I or my student colleagues were, he will wear this response like a badge of honor. And yes even student reporters ask questions to get a rise out of jb. I did it. So did others.

We always thought the broadcast kids asked dumber questions as they tended to be more into the team and generally more full of themselves. But that’s also because we had a rivalry and thought their fake TV station that only had a website sucked. Unless the kid is incredibly soft he probably loved the reaction and has been the toast of the dumb tv station parties the last two days. (And you shouldn’t be soft in broadcast because stations will rip you apart during every contract situation. So it’s good training.)

Maybe the first question to Tyus should have been about difficulty he had scoring down the stretch...whether he had tired legs. Or about the impact of Frank Howard's absence (which was asked).
But other than that...what other relevant question is there for Tyus?

As for Coach Boeheim...you see why he may not be a favorite of some media members.
The LAST people he should be discourteous to are the students.

That was a basic question...although probably one that should have been asked sooner.
And the follow-up should have been...if Buddy was struggling so much why not try Elijah Hughes at the 2?

All that said...it can be a good learning experience for student reporters...dealing with someone who is being nasty or a jack--.

And getting ousted from the tournament is no excuse for the coach.
I've talked with coaches whose teams were just blown out and they were professional, even engaging and realize you're just doing your job.
In fairness to the reporter, he didn't know that he was going to be called on first and he didn't know if he was going to be called on again.

Don’t feel bad for the kid. If he was anything like I or my student colleagues were, he will wear this response like a badge of honor. And yes even student reporters ask questions to get a rise out of jb. I did it. So did others.

We always thought the broadcast kids asked dumber questions as they tended to be more into the team and generally more full of themselves. But that’s also because we had a rivalry and thought their fake TV station that only had a website sucked. Unless the kid is incredibly soft he probably loved the reaction and has been the toast of the dumb tv station parties the last two days. (And you shouldn’t be soft in broadcast because stations will rip you apart during every contract situation. So it’s good training.)
one has nothing to do with the other. I don't care if the kid was carried off on the shoulders of other reporters. This is about the coaches actions, not the reporters. One, he didn't treat Buddy like a player on the team. He treated him like his son. if another player had the game that Buddy did, JB would have answered the question. And his response to the reporter, a college kid , was totally unacceptable.

So there you go, the press is the enemy. Bubble-headed bleach blond comes on at 5

Yikes - broadcast smackdown!
giphy.gif

What I don’t get is the kid had a bad game. Ok. When any other kid has a bad game he calls them out without question. His problem is gonna be how he treats these kids. If he treats them the same and they all get called out ok fine. When u coach your kid, u almost have to be harder on him so the team see s that. He is in a tough spot. Although it’s a tough spot that they decided to have. I just thought Jim coulda been a bit more reflective instead of pissed. He gonna get three more years of this. What did he think was gonna happen.

Nah. Boeheim famously passionately defended McNamara.

He attacked when they were bothering Flynn with NBA questions.

Devendorf.

He’s gotten defensive and gone to bat for his guys in numerous situations.

I don’t know if some of you guys just forget. Or if you’re being dishonest because you can’t wait to play the “favors his son” card.

Geez, so many agenda-filled posts, so little time. There’s actually one mamaluke who stated that this was a “terrible” year. Really? The same guy some of you can’t wait to bury makes the NCAAT w/ 10 wins in the toughest conference, and it’s a terrible year. Wow.
The total lack of perspective would be amusing if it wasn’t so pathetically tragic. It’ll be interesting when the new HC some of you are clamoring for struggles to a losing record, or misses the postseason for a few years. That’s when some folks’ definition of a “terrible” year will be in proper focus. At least one can hope so.
In any case, anyone who’s “SHOCKED...SHOCKED, i tell ya’”, by JB’s response is just being disingenuous. Not saying its right by any means, just wondering why all the angst? It is, as it has been for 40+ years now. All the vapors being expressed are frankly, tired and redundant. He’s who he is...deal with it.

I thought “schmuck” was a poor choice of words. If that is what it was. We are depending on lip-reading heRe.

I would have preferred “punk”.

JB has just gone through a long explanation in which he identified poor defensive play be new guards as being the problem at the critical point in the game. He was obviously talking about Buddy because he was the only person that matched that description.

This report was looking for more blood out of a turnip. He got what he deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom