The "Carolina Way" | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The "Carolina Way"

Well since your AD admitted those classes were used to keep athletes eligible and since your chancellor apologized for 200 bogus courses, I'd say that doesn't jive with your garbage. And why do UNC people keep saying there was a $600k slush fund? You make things up for the hell of it?

I don't think either of those things is even slightly inconsistent with anything I wrote. And the reference to the slush fund was to highlight how factual inaccuracies become part of the popular wisdom with stuff like this. I have no information about your scandal that didn't come the article linked above - I just don't really care if Fab cheated on a test. Lots of privileged white kids from affluent families with no language barriers do much worse (Harvard) and those schools don't get hammered by the NCAA or have their reputations drug through the mud.

We should be better if we have a 600K slush fund!!!!

We could buy 20% of UK's starters with that kind of money, or maybe have been in the running to buy Anthony Davis!

sert said:
I don't think either of those things is even slightly inconsistent with anything I wrote. And the reference to the slush fund was to highlight how factual inaccuracies become part of the popular wisdom with stuff like this. I have no information about your scandal that didn't come the article linked above - I just don't really care if Fab cheated on a test. Lots of privileged white kids from affluent families with no language barriers do much worse (Harvard) and those schools don't get hammered by the NCAA or have their reputations drug through the mud.

What's inconsistent us that your school, when you tie together everything that wS quoted, played academically ineligible players for 2 decades.

And you want to point to the article that says a $600k slush fund? Two people even mentioned that and both are UNC fans.

And the reference to the slush fund was to highlight how factual inaccuracies become part of the popular wisdom with stuff like this.
That's not a factual inaccuracy. That's just plain fiction. It's not part of any report or anything SU was accused of or anything reported anywhere. Just something a troll made up and now you repeat it.

What's inconsistent us that your school, when you tie together everything that wS quoted, played academically ineligible players for 2 decades.

And you want to point to the article that says a $600k slush fund? Two people even mentioned that and both are UNC fans.

We'll see whether or not the NCAA wants to take the extraordinary step of unilaterally determining that those players were academically ineligible because of the irregularities in how those courses were taught. UNC has not adopted that position. SACS has not adopted that position. Just rival fans, squealing in schadenfreude.

UNC has acknowledged that those classes are not up to the standards to which we hold ourselves. Just like, say, every class at a school of general admission like Louisville, though for different reasons.

sert said:
We'll see whether or not the NCAA wants to take the extraordinary step of unilaterally determining that those players were academically ineligible because of the irregularities in how those courses were taught. UNC has not adopted that position. SACS has not adopted that position. Just rival fans, squealing in schadenfreude. UNC has acknowledged that those classes are not up to the standards to which we hold ourselves. Just like, say, every class at a school of general admission like Louisville, though for different reasons.

Irregularities? Taught?

Man you guys are delusional.

sert said:
We'll see whether or not the NCAA wants to take the extraordinary step of unilaterally determining that those players were academically ineligible because of the irregularities in how those courses were taught. UNC has not adopted that position. SACS has not adopted that position. Just rival fans, squealing in schadenfreude. UNC has acknowledged that those classes are not up to the standards to which we hold ourselves. Just like, say, every class at a school of general admission like Louisville, though for different reasons.

You act like we're talking about an easy class like Basket Weaving 101. We aren't. In Basket Weaving 101, there's actually a professor and work had to be done. Your 200 classes are summed up pretty well by words in one of UNC's written statements.

“These counselors saw the paper classes and the artificially high grades they yielded as key to helping some student-athletes remain eligible.”

BTW, for the last time, which articles mentions an SU $600k slush fund? Or are you just lying? Which is it?

This has been an entertaining thread to follow... please continue! To learn how some UNC fans are defending their actions and somehow have the belief that they shouldn't be punished by the NCAA is hysterical. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, even Ted Bundy claimed he was innocent. Carry on sert...

We'll see whether or not the NCAA wants to take the extraordinary step of unilaterally determining that those players were academically ineligible because of the irregularities in how those courses were taught. UNC has not adopted that position. SACS has not adopted that position. Just rival fans, squealing in schadenfreude.

UNC has acknowledged that those classes are not up to the standards to which we hold ourselves. Just like, say, every class at a school of general admission like Louisville, though for different reasons.
We are just looking at "the thing". It smells. It smells a heck of a lot worse than the relatively minor infractions the NCAA has conjured up against SU. Remember that in at least one case, the school's policy (open to all students) of appealing a school ruling was adhered to and the student was found not guilty of any wrongdoing and received school credit for a course. The NCAA ignored this and said the student got "extra benefits." If they can apply it there, they will be able to apply it to the program used to keep UNC athletes eligible. The NCAA found their loophole.

It wasn't against the rules when Duke did it. Wasn't against the rules when Michigan did it. Wasn't against the rules when Auburn did it. And it won't be against the rules that UNC did it. Zero postseason ban coming. The NCAA owes UNC an apology.
images

This has been an entertaining thread to follow... please continue! To learn how some UNC fans are defending their actions and somehow have the belief that they shouldn't be punished by the NCAA is hysterical. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, even Ted Bundy claimed he was innocent. Carry on sert...

I live in the middle of Carolina country down here, and it's amazing how most if not all tar heel fans brush aside this issue. Talk about carolina blue tinted glasses!

well this certainly has been entertaining, one of my top five favorite threads ever. Can't wait to see it get resurrected once the NCAA investigation at UNC is completed and their report gets released.

I'll throw out the punishment that UNC deserves: absolutely nothing. Same punishment that the NCAA gave Duke, Michigan, and Auburn for their "paper class" schemes.
Then why are we losing scholorships for four years for a brazilian exchange students term paper when he could have majored in portugese?

Heck could any of them even speak swahili, or is the ncaa going to tutor them on it before investigating.
We all agree the ncaa sucks though, these kids are there to play basketball it should be looked at like a apprenticeship

Then why are we losing scholorships for four years for a brazilian exchange students term paper when he could have majored in portugese?

Heck could any of them even speak swahili, or is the ncaa going to tutor them on it before investigating.
We all agree the ncaa sucks though, these kids are there to play basketball it should be looked at like a apprenticeship

This video is very good at pointing out the irony of student athletes learning "swahili" in terms of what African American studies talk about. It's a very funny commentary:

This video is very good at pointing out the irony of student athletes learning "swahili" in terms of what African American studies talk about. It's a very funny commentary:

I could not find the right video I was trying to refer to. But I found this little nugget:

Here is one of the term papers that got an A:

On the evening of December Rosa Parks decided that she was going to sit in the white people section on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama. During this time blacks had to give up there seats to whites when more whites got on the bus. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat. Her and the bus driver began to talk and the conversation went like this. “Let me have those front seats” said the driver. She didn’t get up and told the driver that she was tired of giving her seat to white people. “I’m going to have you arrested,” said the driver. “You may do that,” Rosa Parks responded. Two white policemen came in and Rosa Parks asked them “why do you all push us around?” The police officer replied and said “I don’t know, but the law is the law and you’re under arrest.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...ot_a_unc_jock_an_a_here_s_the_real_story.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom