The Coaching Carousel begins... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The Coaching Carousel begins...

Georgia Tech goes back to the drawing board as Bryce Drew picks Vandy over the Yellow Jackets. Perhaps the ACC is simply too daunting for some of the younger coaches...

Smack in the middle of a talent hotbed and a great arena in the best conference of the land. Tougher admissions, and fewer majors, than most, but other coaches have made it work.

Georgia Tech goes back to the drawing board as Bryce Drew picks Vandy over the Yellow Jackets. Perhaps the ACC is simply too daunting for some of the younger coaches...

Smack in the middle of a talent hotbed and a great arena in the best conference of the land. Tougher admissions, and fewer majors, than most, but other coaches have made it work.
Not like you slide into Vandy. Whole different atmosphere at these two schools.

Helps the AAC conference profile with Larry Brown, Tubby Smith and Ollie all with NC's.

Coaching has never been the issue with Tubby.
except for his last few years at MN when he was pretty much just phoning it in :noidea:
(lifelong MN resident here, have followed them pretty closely for past 30+ yrs)

except for his last few years at MN when he was pretty much just phoning it in :noidea:
(lifelong MN resident here, have followed them pretty closely for past 30+ yrs)
When looking at the disaster that Monson was and that currently Slick Rick Jr is, and the fact that we're talking about Minnesota bball. Can anybody really complain about being an NIT runner up and then the following year making it to the tourney and winning a game? Which all happened during Tubby's last few years which you say he was phoning it in. That's probably the best you're going to get with the talent he was getting over there. At Memphis with some stud recruiters that can get him some high level talent, he should do really well as this most likely will be his last coaching stop.

When looking at the disaster that Monson was and that currently Slick Rick Jr is, and the fact that we're talking about Minnesota bball. Can anybody really complain about being an NIT runner up and then the following year making it to the tourney and winning a game? Which all happened during Tubby's last few years which you say he was phoning it in. That's probably the best you're going to get with the talent he was getting over there. At Memphis with some stud recruiters that can get him some high level talent, he should do really well as this most likely will be his last coaching stop.
yep, agreed. I think he really is one of the better coaches out there. Not sure what happened at Minny, think he just got tired of being here (word was his wife never really liked it here and they're both more Southern-oriented)

yep, agreed. I think he really is one of the better coaches out there. Not sure what happened at Minny, think he just got tired of being here (word was his wife never really liked it here and they're both more Southern-oriented)
It never seemed to have been a great fit, but I think most would agree that he did a solid job with what he had to work with over there. I thought hiring Slick Rick Jr was such a poor choice. Didn't do much over at FIU and it seemed like the last name basically got him the job. I would assume next season is make or break for him right?

Last edited:
It never seemed to have been a great fit, but I think most would agree that he did a solid job with what he had to work with over there. I thought hiring Slick Rick Jr was such a poor choice. Didn't do much over at FIU and it seemed like the last name basically got him the job. I would assume next season make or break for him right?
yeah he should have been gone after this year but a) they gave him some ridiculous extension last year and b) there hasn't been an actual AD in place since last summer (they're in the process of hiring one) - athletic dept at Minny a flaming mess and has been for decades

yeah he should have been gone after this year but a) they gave him some ridiculous extension last year and b) there hasn't been an actual AD in place since last summer (they're in the process of hiring one) - athletic dept at Minny a flaming mess and has been for decades
Minnesota hasn't had a great talent since guys named Kevin McHale and Leo Rautins played together.
And that only lasted for a season.
One of them decided he wanted a real team.

Minnesota hasn't had a great talent since guys named Kevin McHale and Leo Rautins played together.
And that only lasted for a season.
One of them decided he wanted a real team.
nah they've had talent since, especially in the 90s with a couple of Clem Haskins' teams

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom