The committee did Duke no favors | Syracusefan.com

The committee did Duke no favors

Alsacs

Living Legend
Duke was ranked 9th on the committee's S-Curve, and they somehow got a tougher draw than Syracuse.
South
1. Florida
2. Kansas w/o Embiid first 2 games
3. Syracuse
4. UCLA

vs.
Midwest
1. Wichita State
2. Michigan
3. Duke
4. Louisville

I feel like we have a tougher 2nd round game with Ohio State over UMass potentially if seeds held. However, Mercer is a like more frisky than Western Michigan watching both teams play. Western could beat us, but Mercer would absolute scare the bejeezus out of me.

Mercer > W. Mich.
Umass <<< Ohio St. However Tennessee/Iowa = Ohio St.
Michigan I'd say is a wash with Embiidless KU. Otherwise edge KU.
L'ville/Wichita = Florida.

It's very close, not sure there's an appreciable difference.

Duke's second round game will be interesting regardless of who they play. K made a couple disparaging remarks about the A-10 yesterday and im sure UMass would use that as ammo. Tennessee would scare me if they get by Iowa and UMass. They've looked really good down the stretch and are stupid athletic.

UMass is inconsistent. But they can be pretty dangerous. They can score and get up and down the floor.

Michigan is not an impressive 2 seed nor is UMass an impressive 6 seed. Having said that Kansas might be a good matchup for us

Duke was ranked 9th on the committee's S-Curve, and they somehow got a tougher draw than Syracuse.
South
1. Florida
3. Syracuse
4. UCLA

vs.
Midwest
1. Wichita State
2. Michigan
3. Duke
4. Louisville

I feel like we have a tougher 2nd round game with Ohio State over UMass potentially if seeds held. However, Mercer is a like more frisky than Western Michigan watching both teams play. Western could beat us, but Mercer would absolute scare the bejeezus out of me.

Michigan is not an impressive 2 seed nor is UMass an impressive 6 seed. Having said that Kansas might be a good matchup for us
Michigan is not impressive as a 2 seed? They only won the B1G regular season title by 2 games, have a good offense, good coach, are playing without Mitch McGary, but they are not impressive. UMass, I agree but Duke could have Louisville in a rematch of the Elite 8 in the same spot as last year in Indy if they got to the Elite 8.

Michigan is not impressive as a 2 seed? They only won the B1G regular season title by 2 games, have a good offense, good coach, are playing without Mitch McGary, but they are not impressive.
They can't play defense.

They can't play defense.
Michigan State only scored 69 points yesterday. Michigan's offense was poor it only scored 55 points. Michigan is a legit team that can score and defend. They won the B1G by 2 games. They have up 63, 69, 69 points in the B1G Tournament that isn't bad.

Michigan State only scored 69 points yesterday. Michigan's offense was poor it only scored 55 points. Michigan is a legit team that can score and defend. They won the B1G by 2 games. They have up 63, 69, 69 points in the B1G Tournament that isn't bad.
Well, I've watched them throughout the year and I'll stick with my previous post, they can't play defense.

Michigan is definitely not good on D. Their offense/defense splits are pretty much a mirror image of Duke.

Well, I've watched them throughout the year and I'll stick with my previous post, they can't play defense.
Your entitled to your opinion, but their defense is ranked higher than offense nationally.

Offensively, Michigan averages 75.0ppg which ranks 73rd in the country.
Defensively Michigan gives up 65.5 ppg which ranks 62nd in the country.

Michigan is a really good team that has overcome McGary's loss for the season beyond well.

Michigan is a really good team that has overcome McGary's loss for the season beyond well.
I completely agree with this, and to win games at Wiscy and at MSU, you have to be a really good team. I just think they're really soft on the defensive end and are just too much of a finesse team in general.

Michigan is definitely not good on D. Their offense/defense splits are pretty much a mirror image of Duke.
Offensively Duke averages 79.1 ppg which ranks 27th in the country

Defensively Duke has given up 67.1ppg which ranks 97th in the country.

Michigan is better than Duke defensively and the ACC pace is slower than the B1G's this year has probably help keep Duke's numbers from being worse on defense and better on offense.

Michigan and Duke are really the same team. If you subscribe to Kenpom's efficiency stats, which I do, they are 2nd and 3rd in O-efficiency and 102 and 104 in D-efficiency.

Duke's tempo is 196 while Michigan is like us in tempo at 327 so their slower pace makes their PPG misleading.

Michigan and Duke are really the same team. If you subscribe to Kenpom's efficiency stats, which I do, they are 2nd and 3rd in O-efficiency and 102 and 104 in D-efficiency.

Duke's tempo is 196 while Michigan is like us in tempo at 327 so their slower pace makes their PPG misleading.
Fair post while I disagree you make a compelling argument that is legitimate and makes sense. I appreciate it when a different opinion makes a good argument.

i agree with this, but if that dude is out for kansas, then i think it swings towards Cuse got the better road.

thing is dook got lville and Cuse got florida.

both likely wont get past that point.

Let's not forget Duke played UM this year already and hammered them.

Would be similar to SU having Nova as our 2 seed.

Let's not forget Duke played UM this year already and hammered them.

Would be similar to SU having Nova as our 2 seed.
I agree with your point, but that was when Michigan was dealing with the McGary injury and were still in transition. Plus, Duke played their best defensive game of the season that game and it was at Cameron Indoor. In the sweet 16 Michigan would have more fans in Indy than Duke would likely bring.

I agree with your point, but that was when Michigan was dealing with the McGary injury and were still in transition. Plus, Duke played their best defensive game of the season that game and it was at Cameron Indoor. In the sweet 16 Michigan would have more fans in Indy than Duke would likely bring.

I get that but, after being down 20, Syracuse played their best game of the season vs Nova in the Carrier Dome. I'd rather have UM on our 2 line instead of Kansas or Wisky. Perhaps just a product of me not buying into Michigan.

Last edited:
Your entitled to your opinion, but their defense is ranked higher than offense nationally.

They have done an amazing job w-out McGready but that doesnt matter. They dont look like a 2 seed. Michigan St had their way with them yesterday. the game i saw was simply if MSU played Mich with Michigan St having its full team woul beat Michigan 10 times out of 10.

South
1. Florida
3. Syracuse
4. UCLA

vs.
Midwest
1. Wichita State
2. Michigan
3. Duke
4. Louisville

Georgraphy wise it's also odd. Since they are both ACC teams, they could be interchanged without any issues. Duke is closer to Memphis.

All I can is they were to trying to balance the brackets

They had
1. Florida
2. Kansas

1. Wichita St
2. Michigan

If they thought Duke was better, they throw Duke in the Midwest. The main reason it looks imbalaned is Louisville at the 4, Whatever region they were going to be put in was going to look the best.

I guess the issue is whether they
1) "can't" play defence, or
2) "have not" played defence

There have been a number of elite 8 / final 4 teams the last 10 years that were bad defensive teams (sub 50 in KP defensive efficiency) but really good offensive teams that have done well in the tourney. You don't see many of the opposite type teams do well (sub 50 offences, great defences). One of them was Michigan last year I believe.

I don't know if it's a case of
1) extra defence effort come tourney time, or
2) extra pressure of the situation on the opposition just makes defence easier.

But there is a history of such teams doing well.

Once the committee put UVA as #1 East, I figured they'd put Duke in the South since Memphis would be Duke's 2nd choice after MSG for a regional.

KenPom ratings:

Michigan Offense: #3 in the country
Michigan Defense: #104
Duke Offense: #2
Duke Defense: #102

Based on KenPom, Duke, Michigan, Creighton, Iowa, Baylor, and Iona are all top 10 in offense but outside the top 100 in defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom