The Coyle decision | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

The Coyle decision

a lot harder is incorrect. Nd is a wash to slighter tougher with LSU , @ uconn is not harder than @ USF. CMU vs usf at home is about the same as cmu was a bowl team last year. Virginia tech is at home(at least until dome renovation plan is and whether home games will be lost, anyway its not in blacksburg) and lets actually see who there coach is and VT is going to be barely a bowl team. Speculation on what this years schedule was primed to do doesn't factor in a complete rebuild on defense with a whole new offense and playing lots of freshman and sophmores. I thought if things broke right 6 wins was possible bur most had us around 4-5 wins which is where we will likely finish. I would be betting as much on the younger players improving as coach improving his gameday decision. SHafer never said we were going to comeback to win the Louisville game that dungey was hurt in he was trying to build his confidence as it was pretty much the worst game he had played all year. The pitt game was a tough one to take but we did stop them but then they fake punted us and we blew the coverage
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ends_decision_to_keep_eric_dungey_in_gam.html

"We've had a lot of touchdowns in less than two minutes this year, and I looked up at the clock and said, 'Hey, we can still get back into this game.' "

You are wrong on this one.

We lost to USF this year. It is not a wash with CMU. Taggert has recruited well to that school.
We are not beating ND.
@Uconn is begging for a loss.
I am not convinced we will finish 2-2 next year in OOC if SS is the HC. 3-1 would be a miracle IMO.
I don't think we will go 2-2 at home in the 4 ACC games and 1-3 in the road games.

Next with SS best case we go 6-6, worst case 2-10. Split the difference we are likely 4-8. I am not optimistic in his player development when our Senior laden OL has gotten worse.

How can you sell anyone that this is going in the right direction?? We could very well be coming off back to back 3-9 seasons on a current 9 game losing streak (worst possible case)? Sell me it is going in the right direction?
young players ...young player.young players competing with the best in the league far better than even last year and being right there with our peers. If we lose to BC i will probably change my tune

Our OOC schedule is a lot harder next year USF, @UConn, ND and Colgate.
Then our conference schedule is Virginia Tech over Virginia. If we can't get 6 wins against this schedule I don't think it is possible we can next year. Why give another year just to pray for luck.

I don't agree with your thoughts about the OOC schedule.

I think LSU is at least as hard to beat as ND, maybe harder.

Colgate is a push with Rhode Island; no way we lose to either team.

We played USF on the road this year, it should be a lot easier to beat them at home.

That leaves UConn on the road. I am sure not if they are better than CMU (their recent record against MAC teams says no) but the game is being played on the road, so even though they have little fanbase left, that might be a little tougher game to win.

Don't see how anyone can say it is a lot harder.

I'm saying I don't care. I have no faith in what we're doing currently, or that the staff will change what they do enough to matter.

It's not change for the sake of change. It's change because there are only so many levers to pull to get off the road to nowhere, and the staff is the most obvious one. So pull the lever.
well said. This ship has sailed. Sucks, because everyone likes HCSS as a person.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ends_decision_to_keep_eric_dungey_in_gam.html

"We've had a lot of touchdowns in less than two minutes this year, and I looked up at the clock and said, 'Hey, we can still get back into this game.' "

You are wrong on this one.

We lost to USF this year. It is not a wash with CMU. Taggert has recruited well to that school.
We are not beating ND.
@Uconn is begging for a loss.
I am not convinced we will finish 2-2 next year in OOC if SS is the HC. 3-1 would be a miracle IMO.
I don't think we will go 2-2 at home in the 4 ACC games and 1-3 in the road games.

Next with SS best case we go 6-6, worst case 2-10. Split the difference we are likely 4-8. I am not optimistic in his player development when our Senior laden OL has gotten worse.

we lost to usf on the road where we have struggled all year except @ uva. we have done a much better job at home all year
this year which makes it a wash. @ uconn is a game we would probably win if we were playing this year. ND is going to be like LSU where we will need to play really well to compete and hope to win. As for the conference part of the schedule fsu and clemson will be tough, louisville is a game we could compete with at home but athlete wise and scoreboard wise they have our number lately. VT,pitt ,BC and NC State are toss ups that we could do well in more than not. We should beat wake

We played USF on the road this year, it should be a lot easier to beat them at home.

That leaves UConn on the road. I am sure not if they are better than CMU (their recent record against MAC teams says no) but the game is being played on the road, so even though they have little fanbase left, that might be a little tougher game to win.

agreed

1. Colgate is not one of the worst 1-AA teams in the Northeast like URI is. I am from RI that program is pathetic. We will beat Colgate but we will not dominate them like we did URI which was an embarrassment to college football.
2. Notre Dame will be a neutral field game that will have double the Irish fans to Orange fans while LSU was in the Dome and we had a true HFA. Beating LSU at the Dome is slightly easier than beating ND in a neutral field road game. ND has a lot of talent and while LSU does as well the Irish have a passing game.
3. USF vs. CMU at home. USF recruits a higher level than CMU. USF beat us this year and will have talent next year. We could lose this game.
4. @UConn vs. @USF. We aren't a good road team. We could win this game but we could easily lose this game.
Our OOC schedule this year. 3 home, 1 road. 1 SEC, 1 American, 1 MAC, 1-1AA
Our OOC schedule next year. 2 home, 1 road, 1 neutral. 1 high Indy, 2 Americans, 1 1-AA
Next year is harder.

we lost to usf on the road where we have struggled all year except @ uva. we have done a much better job at home all year
this year which makes it a wash. @ uconn is a game we would probably win if we were playing this year. ND is going to be like LSU where we will need to play really well to compete and hope to win. As for the conference part of the schedule fsu and clemson will be tough, louisville is a game we could compete with at home but athlete wise and scoreboard wise they have our number lately. VT,pitt ,BC and NC State are toss ups that we could do well in more than not. We should beat wake
VPI is not a tossup. They have more talent that we do.
@Pitt and @BC are not tossups. We have sucked on the road.
NC State at home is a tossup.
@Wake we can feel good but they are getting better and expecting a win against P5 under SS is not to taken for granted.

If SS is the coach next year I will predict SU to win 4 games.

@Wake we can feel good but they are getting better and expecting a win against P5 under SS is not to taken for granted.

I think the overall point is that if we have a competent coach here next year with primarily the same roster, SU will win more games than they would have with HCSS. I am an SU fan, not a Shafer fan. I want wins. How anyone could possibly say that we are going in the right direction with a probable NINE game losing streak is crazy. Last year it was injuries, this year its youth, next year it will be a new OLine, etc etc... All excuses.

1. Colgate is not one of the worst 1-AA teams in the Northeast like URI is. I am from RI that program is pathetic. We will beat Colgate but we will not dominate them like we did URI which was an embarrassment to college football.
2. Notre Dame will be a neutral field game that will have double the Irish fans to Orange fans while LSU was in the Dome and we had a true HFA. Beating LSU at the Dome is slightly easier than beating ND in a neutral field road game. ND has a lot of talent and while LSU does as well the Irish have a passing game.
3. USF vs. CMU at home. USF recruits a higher level than CMU. USF beat us this year and will have talent next year. We could lose this game.
4. @UConn vs. @USF. We aren't a good road team. We could win this game but we could easily lose this game.
Our OOC schedule this year. 3 home, 1 road. 1 SEC, 1 American, 1 MAC, 1-1AA
Our OOC schedule next year. 2 home, 1 road, 1 neutral. 1 high Indy, 2 Americans, 1 1-AA
Next year is harder.
you said a lot harder which it isnt. this year we are bad road team last year we played pretty well on the road until we had nobody left for bc and pitt,who knows what next year will bring

Last edited:
Assuming our season continues on its current path we end 4-8. So that is a season of 3-9 followed up by a season of 4-8. 7-17 over a two year period is grounds for dismissal when you factor in 3 of the previous 4 years were bowl games and the team got 7, 8 and 8 wins. If the team jumped off the ledge right now they wouldn't suffer many injuries upon hitting the bottom because it's about a 4 foot drop. Everyone defending the current staff is starting to get delusional into thinking they're going to magically turn everything around. I love Shafer I just don't see him as the right coach for this team. Time to try something new. Worst case we fail and only win 2 games a year instead of 3 or 4.

I think the overall point is that if we have a competent coach here next year with primarily the same roster, SU will win more games than they would have with HCSS. I am an SU fan, not a Shafer fan. I want wins. How anyone could possibly say that we are going in the right direction with a probable NINE game losing streak is crazy. Last year it was injuries, this year its youth, next year it will be a new OLine, etc etc... All excuses.
i dont know the eligibility of most of the players so im not sure who is leaving. I would not call us as likely to have a 9 game losing streak as long as were are as healthy as we are now we should win that game

you said a lot harder which it isnt. this year we are bad road team last year we played pretty well on the road until we had nobody left for bc and pitt,who knows what next year will bring
I find you to a smart poster so all I am going to say is C'mon man. You knew my point.

Assuming our season continues on its current path we end 4-8. So that is a season of 3-9 followed up by a season of 4-8. 7-17 over a two year period is grounds for dismissal when you factor in 3 of the previous 4 years were bowl games and the team got 7, 8 and 8 wins. If the team jumped off the ledge right now they wouldn't suffer many injuries upon hitting the bottom because it's about a 4 foot drop. Everyone defending the current staff is starting to get delusional into thinking they're going to magically turn everything around. I love Shafer I just don't see him as the right coach for this team. Time to try something new. Worst case we fail and only win 2 games a year instead of 3 or 4.

most of us defendeing the current staff are not thinking everything will get turned around in 1 year. For me at least it has to do with changing staffs = losing relationships we are starting to build back up in our recruiting areas, rebuilding again unless we are going to pay out for a top end coach/staff. Changing staffs every few years is why were are where we are

I find you to a smart poster so all I am going to say is C'mon man. You knew my point.
to me a lot harder would be us playing a 2012 type non conference schedule with no missouri or minnesota since we played 5 ooc in bigeast

most of us defendeing the current staff are not thinking everything will get turned around in 1 year. For me at least it has to do with changing staffs = losing relationships we are starting to build back up in our recruiting areas, rebuilding again unless we are going to pay out for a top end coach/staff. Changing staffs every few years is why were are where we are
Doug Marrone was not fired. Coach P shouldn't have been fired in 2004 because we are 1 Temple win from the Fiesta Bowl.

Greg Robinson should have been fired after the 2007 season.

Scott Shafer was a cheap internal hire. The man had zero HC experience and has surrounded himself with friends and MAC level coaching assistants. Our relationships in recruiting were severed when Coach P was fired. As long as we keep Acosta(which I would) our NJ relationships should be fine and I don't think any new HC would come in here without relationships. As I wouldn't hire a coordinator to replace SS I would hire an existing HC. Keeping SS next year would tell me the BOT/Chancellor didn't want to spend market value not that they believe in SS as the long term guy.

sutomcat said:
I don't agree with your thoughts about the OOC schedule. I think LSU is at least as hard to beat as ND, maybe harder. Colgate is a push with Rhode Island; no way we lose to either team. We played USF on the road this year, it should be a lot easier to beat them at home. That leaves UConn on the road. I am sure not if they are better than CMU (their recent record against MAC teams says no) but the game is being played on the road, so even though they have little fanbase left, that might be a little tougher game to win. Don't see how anyone can say it is a lot harder.

Just wait until next year, then it'll be a murderer's row.

We had the exact same discussion last offseason and most agreed this year's OOC schedule was very manageable and we should go 3-1 against it. Oops.

You're an optimist, but if SU gets to 4 wins the Shafer loyalists will proclaim "progress" and that we should not abandon the 10 year plan.

Alsacs said:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ends_decision_to_keep_eric_dungey_in_gam.html "We've had a lot of touchdowns in less than two minutes this year, and I looked up at the clock and said, 'Hey, we can still get back into this game.' " You are wrong on this one. We lost to USF this year. It is not a wash with CMU. Taggert has recruited well to that school. We are not beating ND. @Uconn is begging for a loss. I am not convinced we will finish 2-2 next year in OOC if SS is the HC. 3-1 would be a miracle IMO. I don't think we will go 2-2 at home in the 4 ACC games and 1-3 in the road games. Next with SS best case we go 6-6, worst case 2-10. Split the difference we are likely 4-8. I am not optimistic in his player development when our Senior laden OL has gotten worse.

Getting back into it isn't the same as winning the game. Lester expanded on those comments and clarified where there head was at. After 3 consecutive turnovers by Dungey they hoped to get a TD or two to get his confidence back.

Getting back into it isn't the same as winning the game. Lester expanded on those comments and clarified where there head was at. After 3 consecutive turnovers by Dungey they hoped to get a TD or two to get his confidence back.
Like Shafer didn't repeat his comment 2-3 days later.

Houston just doubled Tom Herman's salary from 1.5 to 3 million. He was making more than SS right now by 100k we need to wake up and realize the HC FB coach and his staff need higher compensation to compete. I hope Syverud(who I have confidence in) and BOT realize they need to give Coyle the budget to do it right.

Willy75 said:
Like Shafer didn't repeat his comment 2-3 days later.

And you took it to mean to win the game again.

Willy75 said:
I go by what he said, not what you preferred he said.

You posted what he said. The words to win aren't in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom