The Coyle decision | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

The Coyle decision

Louie and Bouie said:
Just about 45 days ago you stated the following in regard to someone suggesting HCSS may end up not making it past this year: "With the kids he has recruited (HCSS) it would be lunacy (emphasis added) not to let this play out for a least a couple of more years. Mark Coyle is not a lunatic." How quickly the worm has turned. Welcome to the asylum Mr. Coyle. ;)

Just wondering do you keep a list that has Pro-Shafer and then Anti-Shafer with a big line down the middle? You make it seem like there are sides within the fanbase.

Just wondering do you keep a list that has Pro-Shafer and then Anti-Shafer with a big line down the middle? You make it seem like there are sides within the fanbase.
Honestly we should all be pro-SU FB not pro-coach or anti-coach. I can't take this sometimes. I root for the laundry not the person coaching the laundry. Even though I want a new HC I still want to beat NCSU/BC.
The post your responding to makes it seem like people who want a new HC want the team to lose.

Honestly we should all be pro-SU FB not pro-coach or anti-coach. I can't take this sometimes. I root for the laundry not the person coaching the laundry. Even though I want a new HC I still want to beat NCSU/BC.
The post your responding to makes it seem like people who want a new HC want the team to lose.

There's been at least one post already from someone stating that they will be rooting for the team to lose the next two games...

:(

I agree I think the best course of action for the football program going forward is to get a new coaching staff but once the kickoff starts tomorrow I will be cheering for SU to win the game just like I do for every game.

There's been at least one post already from someone stating that they will be rooting for the team to lose the next two games...

You won't hear that from me and I want a new HC badly. I have been among this HC biggest doubters but I will not root against the laundry. I think the decision is made and all boils down to money.
Rooting against your team only makes sense if its the end of the year and you get a higher draft pick. College sports it never makes sense.

Anyone who is rooting against SU these next two weeks should lose their right to be a fan at anytime. These kids and coaches are working hard and representing the university well. This is a hard business to work in, which is why the pay is stupid. A football coach shouldn't make a million dollars, let alone 7 million dollars. Thus expectations are outrageous, and as fans we should be able to use that to our advantage. Win or be fired. Nonetheless, Shaf is a good man, and I want him and our student athletes to be rewarded for their hard work. Screw NCSU and BC.

Alsacs said:
You won't hear that from me and I want a new HC badly. I have been among this HC biggest doubters but I will not root against the laundry. I think the decision is made and all boils down to money. Rooting against your team only makes sense if its the end of the year and you get a higher draft pick. College sports it never makes sense.

Exactly it doesn't make you a better fan because you stick it out to the end with the HC. Some people make it seems like there are sides, and if you're on the one side you're a bad fan. That's BS.

Well that settles it, 1 person said it so anyone who would like to see improvement in the program by way of a new coaching staff wants us to lose the next two games.

What makes you think Shafer can "turn it around" when he's the reason things have to be turned around?

When he took this job, there was nothing to turn around. He inherited a rising program. All he had to do was keep it steady. He has failed. Adios.

we were moving to a new league with little to no skill players,only saving grace was our d could keep us in games

I work in education, and actually know exactly how this works. I know it's not happening. I simply want to suggest that schools are not being completely honest when they cry no money for budgets. Money is there, they choose not deploy it. There may be good reason for that, but it is a choice.

I work in higher education as well. Finance Dept. With the endowment. NYS law has a prudent mans limit on how much you can spend annually from an endowment. Most schools limit their annual spend to roughly 5% of the prior year's fair market value. What's funny is, politicians are always slamming college's to spend more from their endowment when state law says they can't. It's a no win.

OttoinGrotto said:
I work in education, and actually know exactly how this works. I know it's not happening. I simply want to suggest that schools are not being completely honest when they cry no money for budgets. Money is there, they choose not deploy it. There may be good reason for that, but it is a choice.

If I endow $1m for a department you can't just use it on athletics. There's also caps on how much interest can be used for what. People think if SU has a $1b endowment it's theirs to use for whatever. Not near the truth. Endowments and football coach shouldn't even be used in the same thought. If it is, you don't know how they work. Now if you want to talk football coach and a booster donation...sure.

OttoinGrotto said:
It is true it is not a blank check. It is true that funds are earmarked for certain things. It is sometimes true that they can't legally be touched. The excessive endowments at some schools is a very bizarre inefficiency in our education system.

I think Harvard has the highest at something like $50B. Wow.

They should go after Saban. :)

anomander said:
Exactly it doesn't make you a better fan because you stick it out to the end with the HC. Some people make it seems like there are sides, and if you're on the one side you're a bad fan. That's BS.

I haven't seen any posts saying that. Of course o could have missed one.

Well that settles it, 1 person said it so anyone who would like to see improvement in the program by way of a new coaching staff wants us to lose the next two games.

Great job putting words in my mouth...

A little slow with the reading comprehension today???

rrlbees said:
I haven't seen any posts saying that. Of course o could have missed one.
Check out Louie & Bouie's post quoting Crusty from approx 45 days ago. It take a pretty sick person to first remember what some other poster said a month ago. Half the time I don't remember what I post myself ten minutes ago. But anyways I wouldn't want to even be in his head, but I'm pretty sure that's how he views things.

oldpinepoint said:
It's not stupid at all. Be nice

It's not? How isn't it? It's a fact that most the coaches that are being discussed have proven they can accomplish at least 1 thing or another at their current position.

Great job putting words in my mouth...

A little slow with the reading comprehension today???

"today" - more like most days.

Thanks for the kudos.

I work in higher education as well. Finance Dept. With the endowment. NYS law has a prudent mans limit on how much you can spend annually from an endowment. Most schools limit their annual spend to roughly 5% of the prior year's fair market value. What's funny is, politicians are always slamming college's to spend more from their endowment when state law says they can't. It's a no win.
Yep. A very bizarre inefficiency.

If I endow $1m for a department you can't just use it on athletics. There's also caps on how much interest can be used for what. People think if SU has a $1b endowment it's theirs to use for whatever. Not near the truth. Endowments and football coach shouldn't even be used in the same thought. If it is, you don't know how they work. Now if you want to talk football coach and a booster donation...sure.
I'm telling you, I understand how they work and I understand that they are not planned to be used in this way. I'm also telling you, whenever an institution of higher education tells you there's no money, that is not true.

I am suggesting that how endowments are used should be expanded due to their excess. And before anyone tries to compare one endowment to another, it's pointless. Ridiculous quantities of money are ridiculous quantities of money.

I agree that no one is a better fan because they support the coach, or because they want change. We're all obviously enormous fans. But there are definitely sides, as we've seen on this board. The board has been completely overrun by the two sides just going back and forth at each other, and it's gotten freaking unbearable. It's taking the fun out of actually being a "fan." How many times can people just yell back and forth at each other, and in how many threads? And I'm not saying any one side is more right than the other, either. Both sides, I think, have some valid reasons to think the way they do. But my god...the smugness and lack of civility from some posters on both sides is just making this board godawful lately.

OttoinGrotto said:
I'm telling you, I understand how they work and I understand that they are not planned to be used in this way. I'm also telling you, whenever an institution of higher education tells you there's no money, that is not true. I am suggesting that how endowments are used should be expanded due to their excess. And before anyone tries to compare one endowment to another, it's pointless. Ridiculous quantities of money are ridiculous quantities of money.

That's a larger argument, no? For all intents and purposes, we can ignore the endowment in this discussion. It's a non-starter unless you're single handily able to change decades of law, convince the BoT, chancellor, and the academic side to use it, and get it in a usable form - all prior to the week after the BC game.

jekelish said:
I agree that no one is a better fan because they support the coach, or because they want change. We're all obviously enormous fans. But there are definitely sides, as we've seen on this board. The board has been completely overrun by the two sides just going back and forth at each other, and it's gotten freaking unbearable. It's taking the fun out of actually being a "fan." How many times can people just yell back and forth at each other, and in how many threads? And I'm not saying any one side is more right than the other, either. Both sides, I think, have some valid reasons to think the way they do. But my god...the smugness and lack of civility from some posters on both sides is just making this board godawful lately.

Best post in recent memory.

See your point but 6-16 takes the fun out of being a fan, losing takes the fun out of being a fan. I don't think the back and forth is all that bad at all. Far far worse in the late P era really. People were far more passionate then, now it's pretty laid back

It's not? How isn't it? It's a fact that most the coaches that are being discussed have proven they can accomplish at least 1 thing or another at their current position.
What I was saying was it was his opinion why call it stupid. Not everyone has to agree with you and that is Ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom