the crane the crane | Page 109 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

10 feet
How Many Feet Are in a Story? There are 10.826 feet in a story before rounding. The normal choice is to allow 10 feet for every story, although this tends to vary based on the choice of individual architects. Taller ceilings can result in a greater distance between stories.

Sooo - those guys, considering it's 120' from the ground to the top of the side of the Dome, it looks like another good distance that girder is up maybe another 100' - 220 - 22 stories - well maybe 20! I tuned in too late to see how they got up on the girder - how are they going to get down? Walt is pre- occupied with holding the girder in place.

Last edited:
Nice work this morning, a new girder. It's 1:33P.M. and the crew is finished lunch. Whoops - there goes another trailer full of white bagged rubber pellets to storage. Walt in all his majesty is holding the girder in place until whenever the boss man says OK to release the hoist cables. As tomcat said we have girders but need spirals to go up. I see two between the inner and outer fencing along Irving. As I thought I saw earlier there are at least two of the crew up on the girder doing whatever they need to do to complete the installation. That's way up boys and girls hope they have safety cables on them. tomcat any idea what they could be doing at this point up on that girder?
I think the big things the workers need to do after a new girder has been put in place are

1) bolt it to the adjacent girder. There are a ton of holes along the outside perimeter of each box girder. Once the girders are properly aligned, those holes (I would estimate 80-100) are lined up and I assume they use giant bolts and nuts to connect them to each other very securely. The holes are big; it looks like I could fit 2 of 3 thumbs in one. Maybe 2.5 or 3 inches across.

So I think they have to get the bolts in place, tighten the nuts and then attach the girder cables to the back stays. For the girders on the west wall, they also need to attach a second spiral, this one diagonal.

Once all this is done, they can release the cables tied to the collars of the spirals just installed, as they are no longer needed (the cables attached to the box girders now hold the box girders in place).

There might be other things they need to do but that is all I see happening,

Regarding the height of the crown truss, at its apex, in the middle of the east and west walls, it will be 80 feet above the top of the dome walls.

I think box girder just installed is the center one for the west wall. I believe this is as high as the crown truss will go. Pictures of the crown truss from the ground looking east, say for Irving, are going to look really cool. Can’t wait for the first to appear.

Last edited:
I think the big things the workers need to do after a new girder has been put in place are

1) bolt it to the adjacent girder. There are a ton of holes along the outside perimeter of each box girder. Once the girders are properly aligned, those holes (I would estimate 80-100) are lined up and I assume they use giant bolts and nuts to connect them to each other very securely. The holes are big; it looks like I could fit 2 of 3 thumbs in one. Maybe 2.5 or 3 inches across.

So I think they have to get the bolts in place, tighten the nuts and then attach the girder cables to the back stays. For the girders on the west wall, they also need to attach a second spiral, this one diagonal.

Once all this is done, they can release the cables tied to the collars of the spirals just installed, as they are no longer needed (the cables attached to the box girders now hold the box girders in place).

There might be other things they need to do but that is all I see happening,

2 of 3 thumbs? Are you the 6-fingered man?
Or an extra from Men In Black? :p

I like the straps they wrapped the cables with. The are in a good uniform. Wait, did I just make this a uniform thread?

Forgot about the joining process girder to girder with the all the large nuts and bolts, like tomcat said "lots of them." Still don't know how they are getting or got down gotta be Walt and a red carrier.

Just drove up from PA to visit family for the weekend and, WOW, the Dome/Walt are so impressive coming up 81! Shocking that it was that evident from that far away! (Turned on to 481, so I didn’t get closer...yet). Can’t wait until my next trip to see even more progress!
So cool!

I've been watching them install a really long brown steel piece at a diagonal between the bottom and top elements on the west side whose purpose I don't really get. They're also getting another spiral ready...

They are lower roof to 6 foot 6 off floor as no one on SU starting five will exceed that height in future

Well, we are locked up for today. A very productive one - another girder -the crane in the southwest corner coming together. A report from Hayner on the roof cable how it's made, where it's made, subcontractors contributing, how it's crated and how it is transported from Germany to New York and trucked to Syracuse. :)

Just drove up from PA to visit family for the weekend and, WOW, the Dome/Walt are so impressive coming up 81! Shocking that it was that evident from that far away! (Turned on to 481, so I didn’t get closer...yet). Can’t wait until my next trip to see even more progress!
So cool!

Jeff’s got a happy hour gig tomorrow. Just sayin’.

Is there a better rendering than this? I can’t picture it. The above looks kind of dumb (in my own mind). I am sure it’s way more cool than I am picturing.
beadle - I'm a boy!, also an industrial designer who graduated from SU. The "rendering" Texan supplied is really a photograph of the Dome crowd below a poorly done drawing of the roof. Texan's right in that the video screen in proportion to the acres of fabric looks ridiculously small. If this is what we're getting and we're not getting a partially transparent roof as this pseudo drawing suggest because Sala said it will be slightly more translucent than what we have now I'll be really disappointed. I haven't posted any of my opinions on this exact piece but think you are correct. IMHO - "it looks kind of dumb".

beadle - I'm a boy!, also an industrial designer who graduated from SU. The "rendering" Texan supplied is really a photograph of the Dome crowd below a poorly done drawing of the roof. Texan's right in that the video screen in proportion to the acres of fabric looks ridiculously small. If this is what we're getting and we're not getting a partially transparent roof as this pseudo drawing suggest because Sala said it will be slightly more translucent than what we have now I'll be really disappointed. I haven't posted any of my opinions on this exact piece but think you are correct. IMHO - "it looks kind of dumb".
There is not a better rendering to be had in all the Orange Kingdom? Forsooth!

Thanks, Bill. Yup yup, I gathered you were a knight because of your name, Sir William, but not everyone on the board realized I was a damsel. Things went down. Mistakes were made. So, I thought I would clarify under my avatar. Probably don’t need it anymore. But nowadays one can’t be too careful. (Can one?)

skylar.jpg

Another spiral was moved and rigged with a collar overnight. Looks like it will be installed at the last backstay already in place right behind Walt. That girder sticking out like Tom’s third thumb out front will probably go there too eventually. But I’d think it needs lots of prepping first. Besides railings, the last girder had some kind of construction platform or scaffold attached to the bottom for workers. Doubt they’ll have time to get it ready and up today after the spiral.

... and they’re building a stairway to heaven.

I wonder what they doing with the lumber? In the far sections they are clearly framing something up.
Looks like they’re templating the seat widths almost.

Always nice to see a new box girder show up.. Much smaller than the other one hanging around for the last few weeks and the spiral they just moved seems longer

Looks like they’re templating the seat widths almost.
In the video linked a page or two back, they used wooden platforms to stage the cables that comprised the back bone of the new roof. They laid the roof out on the floor and then raised it by pulling the cables from the wooden platforms up to the truss, to which they were permanently connected.

It looks like they are going to use a similar process here. Though there is the small matter of removing the old roof first...

They put the second, diagonal spiral up this morning for the girder added yesterday. Looks like the next step will be putting up a spiral vertically so they can put up the remaining box girder at Irving. Hope the spiral goes up today...