the crane the crane | Page 156 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

When did physical construction have to be hyped. Believe it or not this slow nuts and bolts construction is boring to most people. When things start taking shape and becoming close to be completed there will be so many stories to promote the newness of the Dome. Most people just say show it to me when its done so I can see it completed. You can't get excited for something they can't even see yet.
Pfft... This is literally our only sport. We Craniacs were here before watching was even 'cool' to do. Our bandwagon hath runover with homebound covid-watchers. We need this, man.

On the west side, they have to do the other diagonal support for the arrowhead they have been working on, then they can put up a vertical and then a girder. On the east side, the next step is to put up a vertical spiral, then a girder. Then 2 diagonals.

It looks like the east side group is slowly narrowing the gap in the Great Crown Truss Completion Race.
Which side will get there first and get to put in The Golden Rivet?

Last edited:
On the west side, the next steps are the two diagonal spirals for the vertical one just installed, to complete the middle arrowhead. On the east side, the next step is a vertical spiral, and then a girder. The west side remains in front by a girder in the race for installing the last girder.

Can’t see any new deliveries with the snafu with the Lawinson camera field of vision issue. Hopefully someone will realize they really screwed things up and fix it soon. With Pete Sala on the case, it should happen in no time. ;)
> RIGHT no time! . > Thanks Peter! < I wonder whether tomcat sent his letter and to whom he sent it - if he sent it to someone other than PS maybe we have a different result, i.e. someone responds positively and CHANGES THE VIEW OF THE CAMERA!
I'm looking at the view directly across from the LC where the TBL is reaching all the way up to just beneath the girder. Long way up for one man in a basket. Wonder what the job he's doing is? I know he's looking back at the LC on Lawrinson estimating how much wider the view has to be. ;) PS two men in a basket now lowered to as we face the Dome the collar on the left side spiral of the arrowhead now back up beneath the girder again. more nuts and bolts?

Last edited:
So far I've seen 4 spirals head toward Skylar, 2 thick and 2 thin.
If Skylar has any girders nearby then we could see some truss action tomorrow... :)

The visible cables from the South East corner have now been removed. Whitey has the last one in his grasp.

Here we go again - Walt has the bendy steel thing to support a girder and is positioning it along with the help of the crew in the TBL and another on the way up.

The crew, one man has climbed out of his bucket onto a scaffold below the girder and the crew in the lower bucket has his bucket up against the backstay.

Additional crew in the walkway above the Domes wall arriving to help now

Walt's op has the steel bar almost up against the middle spiral and it keeps swinging in and away from the top crew. The top of the steel is almost stationary and ready for the top crew to grab and tie it in - the bottom is at least 3 feet away from placement.

The two crew at the top has positioned the end to the girder and is working their way down the bottom crew of three to four is going to end up with the steel up against the spiral.

The yellow crane had a red materials carrier lifted up just below one of the girders at the left side of the view of the LC. Done.

Still positioning the top of the steel at the top just below the girder. The crew is positioning the bucket by swaying from left to right - right being the spiral.

In the background Whitey is still working with what I can see are two crew in the bleachers very top on the cables.

Last edited:
The bendy steel thing that supports the girder takes awhile particularly this one. Walt's hoist line still holding the steel the top and bottom crews positioning.

Looks like the top is good now and the bottom, Walt's line is released and we're good. Crew on the way down.

Good day today. Arrowhead finished on Walt's end. Hopefully all the old cables have been removed on the east side. I am wondering if no spirals on Skylar's end was because of the old cables or a lack of spirals.

I have not seen the white crane in the last half hour - it is 5:20P.M. so it looks like the remaining cables wait until tomorrow? However, there is still crew? They are sitting about 7 rows from the top with what looks like from here white tops. They've been there all afternoon and they keep walking at the same level from one side
to the other in that section. Very mysterious. ;)

I would still like to observe this looking at it in the wider view so everything including the yard could be seen. I remember posting that I couldn't wait until the work progressed on the west wall to where it is right now so I could see what they were doing more clearly but it really isn't that much of a difference. And, I really liked seeing all the crew leave cranes shut down, gate locked. It gave me a good feeling that if it was a good day everyone was happy and going home to enjoy the evening. Be careful what you post you may get it. I doubt they are going to change the camera position now, but you can hope.

Pfft... This is literally our only sport. We Craniacs were here before watching was even 'cool' to do. Our bandwagon hath runover with homebound covid-watchers. We need this, man.
No please don't get me wrong. No problems with anyone getting excited about anything, including dome reno.
I thought he was giving it to dome management for not promoting the dome reno to everyone out there as if its a problem with marketing. No worries. Long live craniacs

another sunset.png

if any of you follow Weitsman on Instagram, but he was in the dome today and had pictures as his company was doing work.