the crane the crane | Page 177 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Not sure if we will get any truss work today. Supposed to get windy with some wind gusts in the 30 to 40 range.

So I talked to a guy on the job yesterday. (With the quarantine, our work-from-home/childcare scheme involves various neighborhood field trips in the morning time while my wife gets stuff done in the quiet house, so yesterday morning was "let's walk to the Dome and watch them raise two girders" day.) He said they didn't expect to knuckle down for this wind event, but they wouldn't want steel in the air in weather like this and a lot of guys wouldn't be on site today. He lives out of the area, stays in a hotel for this job, and would be headed home for the weekend after they got the girders up yesterday. He also said that Walt's job was done after that as well.

Vewwy kwyet.
The only “action” that I’ve seen is a crane inside the stadium lowering its boom.
The stadium’s garage door is open so maybe we’ll see something delivered or removed.

Using GPS Pictometry reports, the exterior rim of the dome is 1940 linear feet. Assuming we're using that surface to put up the lighting (because the new data isn't uploaded yet with the truss system) and commercial grade exterior rope lighting ($168.99/150FT) we're looking at $2,196.87 for pre-tax material cost.

We'll need 13 rolls of it.
I'm all in as long as Santa Claus and the reindeer ride around on the truss starting the day after Thanksgiving.

A question for those that may know. I assumed Walt would be needed to "hang" the new roof. Presumably this can be done with the smaller cranes?

This is true. The Dome's only existing elevator was added, as an external addition, after the ADA became law and they wanted to make some accessibility improvements (including two new accessible entrances and the stair-free access from Irving via the new garage and bridge).
The ADA didn't become official until 1990 while the single elevator was in from day one. It's mainly used for Dome food carts and things they need to get to the top level and alot..alot of ambulatory people. And because there really isn't any 3rd level accessible seating it's rarely used for accessibility. You can come in from the 3rd level and use elevator to get down but that means traversing almost half the dome to get to it. Official accessible gates are A, G, C but you can get in N(?) too. Done it for years with people I know. The 2 new platforms added at 103 and 113 were added in the early 80's from all the ineptitude.

So I talked to a guy on the job yesterday. (With the quarantine, our work-from-home/childcare scheme involves various neighborhood field trips in the morning time while my wife gets stuff done in the quiet house, so yesterday morning was "let's walk to the Dome and watch them raise two girders" day.) He said they didn't expect to knuckle down for this wind event, but they wouldn't want steel in the air in weather like this and a lot of guys wouldn't be on site today. He lives out of the area, stays in a hotel for this job, and would be headed home for the weekend after they got the girders up yesterday. He also said that Walt's job was done after that as well.
That's an awesome field trip. I nominate you for teacher of the month.

The ADA didn't become official until 1990 while the single elevator was in from day one. It's mainly used for Dome food carts and things they need to get to the top level and alot..alot of ambulatory people. And because there really isn't any 3rd level accessible seating it's rarely used for accessibility. You can come in from the 3rd level and use elevator to get down but that means traversing almost half the dome to get to it. Official accessible gates are A, G, C but you can get in N(?) too. Done it for years with people I know. The 2 new platforms added at 103 and 113 were added in the early 80's from all the ineptitude.

You sure about the elevator being there from the beginning? I know for sure that the elevator tower we can see in the typical Lawrinson camera view was an addition built in the early '90s as a response to the implementation of the ADA, but I'm not 100% certain that that didn't replace an existing elevator. Agree that it's not very useful for non-ambulatory people, its addition was pretty much a token gesture.

N is closest to ESF, right? That's an airlock that was added not so long ago. I believe in 1980 the only public airlock was at Gate A. In summer 1993 they built the Irving Garage and added an airlock to Gate C to provide stair-free access to the concourse, via the new skybridge, from that garage. And I think Gate G's airlock was added a little after that.

The dome is not subject to ADA because it was built before ADA was passed. SU did have discussions with the feds about ADA as part of planning. They thought they were fine but they were told at the last second that replacing the seats would trigger a requirement to bring the facility completely up to date with current ADA requirements. This was a surprise to them. That requirement is typically triggered only when major renovations are made (i.e. expanding the stadium, expanding the concourses, adding a new deck, etc.).

Bringing it into full compliance is an extremely expensive process. More expensive that putting a new roof on the building. We are talking about a cost of well over $100 million.

I think it is a shame that a relatively inexpensive and minor change that would have benefited many fans and addressed one of the biggest complaints about attending games at the dome had to be scrubbed because of a senseless decision by the feds. I have family and friends who are disabled and none of them think the decision makes sense either. Common sense. Sometimes it isn't that common.

Our parish church did a renovation that included lighting and new pews. The church was built in the "60's, before ADA. Replacing the pews required meeting ADA requirements.

The new Carrier Corp spinoff has Carrier and Kidde. They could do a lot in the Dome.
Please, God, no. Not the Kidde Dome. That would be almost as bad as the S.H.I.t. Stadium! :p

our dept got changed to IPP.. Lots of thought went into that, but way more went into the logo design after it was approved..

Please, God, no. Not the Kidde Dome. That would be almost as bad as the S.H.I.t. Stadium! :p
Yeah. Can remember the mispronunciations like Terry Cooney, Scoop Jardin, etc? I bet most don’t know how to pronounce Kidde.

Rookie question, but how many stages will they assemble the roof in?

But just imagine...after a touchdown there can be the high pitched squeal of a fire alarm to celebrate...

You sure about the elevator being there from the beginning? I know for sure that the elevator tower we can see in the typical Lawrinson camera view was an addition built in the early '90s as a response to the implementation of the ADA, but I'm not 100% certain that that didn't replace an existing elevator. Agree that it's not very useful for non-ambulatory people, its addition was pretty much a token gesture.

N is closest to ESF, right? That's an airlock that was added not so long ago. I believe in 1980 the only public airlock was at Gate A. In summer 1993 they built the Irving Garage and added an airlock to Gate C to provide stair-free access to the concourse, via the new skybridge, from that garage. And I think Gate G's airlock was added a little after that.
Now your testing my memory. I'll clarify and say that I took it numerous times through the years starting in Late 1983. I do remember going in Gate A almost exclusively but thought G was also there at the time and took it a few times when it was raining hard. I do remember them Adding the walk bridge later to not only provide Dome access but provide better and easier general access to campus from the garage. Had Irving garage parking passes in mid to late 90's parked there for the 98 season. Was there for SU vs TN 90 degree day when they beat us by a point with 2 of my buddies. There is a passenger elevator and one service elevator today. I have no idea when they were each installed and if and when they were updated or renovated. All multi leveled buildings had elevators (service) even in the old days of 1980. So maybe I was taking a service elevator way way back and totally forgot about it. All I know I've been on some sort of elevator I think passenger about 50 times through the years and its not an external elevator. Its right next to the stairs going to the top level near 103 clearly way inside the walls of the dome. Don't know what that bump out is. I thought I remembered those type bump outs being built last year due to the beginning prep for construction but could be wrong. I don't go down that far much anymore.

Now your testing my memory. I'll clarify and say that I took it numerous times through the years starting in Late 1983. I do remember going in Gate A almost exclusively but thought G was also there at the time and took it a few times when it was raining hard. I do remember them Adding the walk bridge later to not only provide Dome access but provide better and easier general access to campus from the garage. Had Irving garage parking passes in mid to late 90's parked there for the 98 season. Was there for SU vs TN 90 degree day when they beat us by a point with 2 of my buddies. There is a passenger elevator and one service elevator today. I have no idea when they were each installed and if and when they were updated or renovated. All multi leveled buildings had elevators (service) even in the old days of 1980. So maybe I was taking a service elevator way way back and totally forgot about it. All I know I've been on some sort of elevator I think passenger about 50 times through the years and its not an external elevator. Its right next to the stairs going to the top level near 103 clearly way inside the walls of the dome. Don't know what that bump out is. I thought I remembered those type bump outs being built last year due to the beginning prep for construction but could be wrong. I don't go down that far much anymore.

Interesting, good memory. I'm certain about C but I could definitely have screwed up the G timeline, and what you say about elevators makes sense, so the 1993 work must have been an expansion and not the first and only elevator.

Interesting, good memory. I'm certain about C but I could definitely have screwed up the G timeline, and what you say about elevators makes sense, so the 1993 work must have been an expansion and not the first and only elevator.
All SU sports memories are good. Especially during this time of no sports. I yearn for the days. Have had season football tickets almost every year since 1983 most time straight in and no elevator. But last year came in gate N during the Louisville home game 2 years ago when we had a monsoon and took elevator. Attended about 30 basketball games during old days and love courtside seats and using SU locker room bathrooms. Bunch of concerts and NCAA basketball games. Talking to Tate George after the game waiting in the locker room bathroom line. Having my buddy verbally and possibly sexually harass his girlfriend during the game who was sitting behind him while he was doing TV for the game.
He asked where he played pro and he mentioned CBA and my buddy goes, Oh Canadian Basketball Association, nice. I was dying.

Yeah. Can remember the mispronunciations like Terry Cooney, Scoop Jardin, etc? I bet most don’t know how to pronounce Kidde.

I think it would take people 3 or 4 guesses before getting it right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom