the crane the crane | Page 181 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I hadn't been able to jump into this thread for about a week, just got caught up.. BillSU is quickly turning into one of my favorite people on the board. Those were some fantastic stories!
I appreciate that you took the time to mention me, thank you. First time I have seen you here in awhile.

220px-1957_Chevrolet_Bel_Air%2C_2003_Woodward_Dream_Cruise.jpg
My '57 before I "borrowed" a set of '57 Plymouth hubcaps which were really clean "convex cone" looked great on the car. Used to wash and it every Saturday, date night, used my mother's Brillo pads on the white walls.

That's close to Mother's Day.
There are some vegetables that are cold weather...but not flowers.
I'm not putting anything in the ground down here yet...tomorrow morning we will be below freezing. Might have to put "newspaper robes" on the peonies.
Graduation is always on Mother’s Day. Graduation 1996 it snowed.

My bet would be on 481 to Brighton to Ainsley to Jamesville Ave to Comstock. Ainsley is already designed for truck traffic, with the warehouses there. Seems like the easiest way to maneuver such a large load.

I don't have the answer to the route question, but I wanted to chime in and note that two girders are currently on trailers at Kennedy Square, where they've occasionally been staging equipment. For those, perhaps they took 690 to Teall.

Followed that up with a 1967 Fire engine red camaro. I sure had cool cars when I was a kid!
First car was a '57 Chevy Bel Air coupe above, red with the fuel injected engine - first year they offered it. Then a '63 Daytona Blue Fuelie Corvette, then the '68 Mustang. I wish I had put them away somewhere and had them now for sale at one of Mecum's Auctions. It also helps if you have parents who had the money to buy cars like these and trusted you with them and someone who has a friend at the GM dealership. You couldn't have a car your freshman year at SU and I didn't want to expose the car to the winter at SU so it was garaged. Also, this is a '63 but the wheels are Kelsey Hayes '64 which look much better in the total appearance of the car. This pic was shot in the summer of '64. I did drive it up in the fall after my first year and back in the spring. Though not as quick, the Mustangs then and now, IMO, have a beautiful exhaust note - best going out the door with a decent V/8 in it. I am not a tech wizard and I have to post this. It's asking for a full image or a thumb nail. Hope I don't lose everything-Happy Easter you Craniacs!
These were the other two cars:
1586656596079.png

1586656628656.png
1586656628656.png1586656596079.png

Last edited:
From the rumors here lighting for the roof didn’t make the cut. Apparently there just isn’t enough money in college sports
However much money there was before the virus, there will be considerably less going forward, at least in the short term.

However much money there was before the virus, there will be considerably less going forward, at least in the short term.
Short term is the key word there. By fall football will be back and money dump trucks will be heard backing up to universities around the country.

Madsoph44 - my avatar is me. And among other cars my second was a metallic Highland Green Mustang fastback GT 4 speed with the big engine which was a 390 - 325hp then. The car was the same as McQueen's Bullitt car. Didn't have the same wheels or the engine modified for the movie like his was. The car sure did sound wonderful though.
Is that you, or Gene Wilder?! :cool:

I appreciate that you took the time to mention me, thank you. First time I have seen you here in awhile.

I'm still around, but mostly a lurker lately. I've been meaning to fix that, especially since this might be my only non work social interaction lol. Back when life was normal, I always made a point to check the crane thread and webcam as soon as I got to the office each morning. It's been amazing being able to watch the project progress from so far away. Thanks everyone!

220px-1957_Chevrolet_Bel_Air%2C_2003_Woodward_Dream_Cruise.jpg
My '57 before I "borrowed" a set of '57 Plymouth hubcaps which were really clean "convex cone" looked great on the car. Used to wash and it every Saturday, date night, used my mother's Brillo pads on the white walls.

I think that was the car I drove when I played Kenickie in Grease. Greased Lightning!!

There is a high wind warning for CNY today. Gusts of up to 60 MPH are expected. The cranes are knuckled down and surely will stay that way the rest of today. The warning expires at 11 PM tonight.

The rest of the week the forecast looks better. Highs in the mid 40s with winds in the 10-13 mph range.

I assume work can start again tomorrow.

Hopefully Sala realizes this and installs some more electrical outlets!! Extension cords would look tacky...am I right?
One of the fundamental problems with the facility now is the lack of proper power in it. It wasn't designed to support as many power outlets as are currently needed. This problem is particularly acute on the upper level (top concourse).

Hopefully Pete is going to have some electricians in to upgrade electrical service as part of phase 1. This is badly needed.

From the rumors here lighting for the roof didn’t make the cut. Apparently there just isn’t enough money in college sports
I guess we don’t have to worry about night games anymore. Taking a page out of the old wolverines playbook. Football could never compete with the Syracuse night scene anyway.

I guess we don’t have to worry about night games anymore. Taking a page out of the old wolverines playbook. Football could never compete with the Syracuse night scene anyway.

I believe the reference was to be able to add lighting to the roof itself, not necessarily the building or the ability to host night games. See photo.
unnamed.jpg

There is a high wind warning for CNY today. Gusts of up to 60 MPH are expected. The cranes are knuckled down and surely will stay that way the rest of today. The warning expires at 11 PM tonight.

The rest of the week the forecast looks better. Highs in the mid 40s with winds in the 10-13 mph range.

I assume work can start again tomorrow.her
tomcat -tomorrow for wind the latest Accuweather says 16 wind / 22 gusts, don't know whether that will hold things up or not - the rest of the week looks OK!

doesnt it take almost a whole day to get the cranes back in position anyway?

tomcat -tomorrow for wind the latest Accuweather says 16 wind / 22 gusts, don't know whether that will hold things up or not - the rest of the week looks OK!
It sounds like it will be a game time decision. Looks like the wind will slowly decrease during the day. Might have to hold off until the afternoon.

Looks like the cranes are up !
I just saw them bring a spiral up to the south wall. I suspect it is going up shortly. Looks like it will be added to the south west grouping.

Meanwhile inside the dome, I can see a white crane methodically lining up steel on the eastern side of the interior. It appears they are continuing to lay out parts needed for the new roof, prepping for the next step after the crown truss is completed.