the crane the crane | Page 279 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Just so I understand, I am assuming they put the layers of insulation down, then installed all those fasteners. The fasteners really are screws that go through the insulation panels and through the corrugated steel roof deck to hold the insulation panels tightly to the deck. Then the TPO is laid on top of the insulation and heat welded on to the top layer of insulation.

That is how the roof is held together.

Is that right?

It might not be TPO but rather another Fabric mesh membrane.

Finally, steel is going up. The top piece of steel is being put in place. Let’s hope they finish the top section and the next section too. They should complete the gray layer on the northwest section of the stadium.

You haven't been watching the Johnny Depp lawsuit news I take it.
No I don’t like him. But I am aware of what you were referencing now. I have “heard” about it.

It sure looks like some steel is being installed in the SW gap. Yay! Lots of activity early this morning! Check out the video at around 6:58 AM.
The SW gap is finally getting addressed! Crane 5b is doing it. I think they put lights on the big piece before putting it up. Yay.

082020.jpg

Morning update:

Crane 5b is alive and is finishing up installing a border girder in the SW gap. First work done shrinking that gap in weeks. Nice.

A new little white crane has arrived on the western crane pad. I am guessing it will focus on getting materials to the crew installing the roof. taking some of the workload off the red crane that is also in tis area.

The crew appears to be a lot more comfortable installing the hard roof now. Sections that took days are taking a couple of hours now.

If you are keeping track at home, I believe there are 96 sections in the hard shell section of the roof. We have 6 completed in the SW corner and maybe as many as 6 more in the NW corner. It looks like they at least have the light tan final insulation layer down over there.

I am thinking their goal is probably to complete the hard shell part first, then focus on the PTFE part. They are in the middle of week 4 of a 6 week project. Thinking they need to finish the hard shell in the next week or so, and reserve about a week to get the PTFE section done.

I am thinking that will be relatively easy. Pretty sure there is just a single layer of PTFE to install. Right now it looks like installation will start on the south side of the dome, where a safety net is already in place.

Looks like we are going to have an all white roof again. Just a little different shape and much different structure and functionality.

Morning update:

The crew appears to be a lot more comfortable installing the hard roof now. Sections that took days are taking a couple of hours now.

Makes me think that the first couple panels took so long because they had to figure out the process. Once best practices were established, tell the rest of the crew and let them loose.

I wonder how challenging it will be to lay out the white top membrane at the pretty sharp cross angle they will have on this section and how they do the triangle.

Makes me think that the first couple panels took so long because they had to figure out the process. Once best practices were established, tell the rest of the crew and let them loose.
Yes, makes sense.

From watching videos on TPO installation, there is some specialized equipment used. Probably takes a little time to really learn how to do the welding.

They probably had some quality people inspect the work closely for the first couple of sections as well.

I think the reason they haven't finished the two sections that have the corrugated steel/grey tarp installed in the middle of the SW diagonal wall is because the insulation is very vulnerable to moisture while it is exposed. I bet they will wait until they lay out the corrugated steel and tarp on the top section before they move forward with insulation.

Looks like the TPO (white final surface) needs to be installed for a row of sections all at the once, top to bottom, left to right. Not good to start partly way down and go to the bottom.

Thought this was a cool look for the dome this morning:

082020A.jpg

Yes, makes sense.

From watching videos on TPO installation, there is some specialized equipment used. Probably takes a little time to really learn how to do the welding.

They probably had some quality people inspect the work closely for the first couple of sections as well.

I think the reason they haven't finished the two sections that have the corrugated steel/grey tarp installed in the middle of the SW diagonal wall is because the insulation is very vulnerable to moisture while it is exposed. I bet they will wait until they lay out the corrugated steel and tarp on the top section before they move forward with insulation.

Looks like the TPO (white final surface) needs to be installed for a row of sections all at the once, top to bottom, left to right. Not good to start partly way down and go to the bottom.

Thought this was a cool look for the dome this morning:

View attachment 186442
I wonder if it was a matter of bringing in more crew. Seems like more workers on site now. And your "framers" and "roofers" are normally different crews.

They're now rolling the membrane down. It's a much more precise job. Instead of just using gravity, looks like there are about 8 guys all grouped around the roll as it comes down, ensuring it stays online and doesn't drift. Also interesting, but not sure if relevant. The last time they worked from left to right. This time it's right to left.

I wonder if it was a matter of bringing in more crew. Seems like more workers on site now. And your "framers" and "roofers" are normally different crews.
Breaking news: Wildhack has secured the services of Stolzfus and Sons Amish roofing company. Problem is they are traveling from Lancaster Pa via horse and buggy and are due to arrive the middle of next week.

They're now rolling the membrane down. It's a much more precise job. Instead of just using gravity, looks like there are about 8 guys all grouped around the roll as it comes down, ensuring it stays online and doesn't drift. Also interesting, but not sure if relevant. The last time they worked from left to right. This time it's right to left.
Must be the Arabic crew :)

Prevailing wind usually plays a part in roofing overlap.

Work has started on getting the roof put on the east side of the dome.

082020b.jpg

Meanwhile, crane 5b is doing good work advancing the western build towards the southern build. If they work on the weekend, I think thinking the gap might be closed by Monday of next week.

We have talked a little about the mysterious pipe cage being built next to Gate B It looks like it has been capped off now. Lots of welding going on as they work to complete it.

The question is, what is it?

My guess, given the location, is that it is a natural gas line that is being added to give the concession stands in this corner of the dome, on both the 100 and 300 levels, the ability to cook with natural gas (burgers maybe, definitely to run deep fryers for chicken tenders and fries).

It looks like this cage is being built to protect the gas line and ensure it does not get accidentally damaged. I think they capped it where they did because that was the height needed to gain access to the 300 level.

But I am not a construction guy and am probably wrong.

On a selfish level, it would be great to have more food options in this location. It is right about between where I sit for football and basketball. Much easier to get to than the concession stand in the NE corner where the old Burger King was. Probably easier for almost everyone who goes to basketball games too.

Hope it happens. Even if we have to wait until next September to use it.

082020c.jpg

Work has started on getting the roof put on the east side of the dome.

View attachment 186449

Meanwhile, crane 5b is doing good work advancing the western build towards the southern build. If they work on the weekend, I think thinking the gap might be closed by Monday of next week.

We have talked a little about the mysterious pipe cage being built next to Gate B It looks like it has been capped off now. Lots of welding going on as they work to complete it.

The question is, what is it?

My guess, given the location, is that it is a natural gas line that is being added to give the concession stands in this corner of the dome, on both the 100 and 300 levels, the ability to cook with natural gas (burgers maybe, definitely to run deep fryers for chicken tenders and fries).

It looks like this cage is being built to protect the gas line and ensure it does not get accidentally damaged. I think they capped it where they did because that was the height needed to gain access to the 300 level.

But I am not a construction guy and am probably wrong.

On a selfish level, it would be great to have more food options in this location. It is right about between where I sit for football and basketball. Much easier to get to than the concession stand in the NE corner where the old Burger King was. Probably easier for almost everyone who goes to basketball games too.

Hope it happens. Even if we have to wait until next September to use it.

View attachment 186450
My guess was exterior elevator.

My guess was exterior elevator.

I do think it looks overbuilt for gas protection (and from an aesthetic standpoint, I really hope they're not just running utilities up the side of the building). Is it big enough for an elevator? Could be, though it sure is a lot smaller than the other elevator structure. This seems like a fair assumption, though, since accessibility was said to be a priority.

I do think it looks overbuilt for gas protection (and from an aesthetic standpoint, I really hope they're not just running utilities up the side of the building). Is it big enough for an elevator? Could be, though it sure is a lot smaller than the other elevator structure. This seems like a fair assumption, though, since accessibility was said to be a priority.
Eyeballing the height of the existing elevator annex and this thing, it does not look as high, but it is pretty close. Like it ends at floor level instead of 10 feet higher.

I believe there are concession stands on the other side of the wall. If they got rid of these stands, it would make getting food and drink a lot harder for people who sit in the western end zone area for football, or for basketball in general. Plus, putting an elevator with an entrance in the middle of nowhere would not seem to be a great idea if the whole point is to improve access for disabled people.

If they were going to add one elevator, I would think it would be next to Gate A or Gate C, which I think are the only gates accessible to wheelchairs. I think they would be a lot more helpful near those gates.

But I noticed something dark black inside the cage this afternoon I didn't remember seeing previously.

Looking back to earlier today, I found that white crane putting a black pipe into the cage.

I am pretty sure the cage was built to protect the pipe. It might not hold natural gas, but I feel confident the cage is to protect the pipe. If that pipe is not used for gas (I don't know anything about natural gas piping), maybe it is used for air conditioning?

I know they have added some connections on the west wall for AC over the summer.

Surely someone on this board knows about this stuff.

082020d.jpg

Edit:

A second pipe was added not long afterwards. Maybe AC in and AC out?

082020e.jpg

Last edited:
Eyeballing the height of the existing elevator annex and this thing, it does not look as high, but it is pretty close. Like it ends at floor level instead of 10 feet higher.

I believe there are concession stands on the other side of the wall. If they got rid of these stands, it would make getting food and drink a lot harder for people who sit in the western end zone area for football, or for basketball in general. Plus, putting an elevator with an entrance in the middle of nowhere would not seem to be a great idea if the whole point is to improve access for disabled people.

I did think about this and it gave me pause. An elevator whose lowest level is at the top of a flight of stairs is a pretty useless elevator.

Unless it's an interior elevator, for access from near SU's locker room to the upper concourse? Maybe for coordinators to get to the football coaching boxes more easily?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom