The dome... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The dome...

cusefan88 said:
The only area to expand also is close to where the loading dock area is, which is the most critical part of a stadium. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

West side.

The only area to expand also is close to where the loading dock area is, which is the most critical part of a stadium.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.
I agree. Renovation sounds nice on paper but might not be feasible once you start crunching the numbers

I'm betting it will be a major overall like we've discussed here before. Total blowout of the west end and adding another connecting building. Restaurant, offices, maybe SM school, media room, etc.

Not that he would necessarily have any knowledge of it, but this is exactly what HCSS told me he'd like to see this past summer.

He said their pie in the sky deal would be to remove the bleachers and replace with seats. He said it would decrease capacity by 5-10K but said that's ok, from his point of view due to the football attendance issues. West-End expansion with added amenities for food and beverage. Retractable roof. His big deal was the seating though.

I asked if he thought the new stadium ever really had any legs to it, he said absolutely not.

It was just interesting to hear what he thought.

I had a great conversation with P. Sala over two years ago and they were already looking into a complete makeover. Individual seats would lose 2 seats for every row. I think it would bring down capacity to around 44-45 thousand. We would lose more seats for basketball. The west end would allow for larger and more efficient concession stands, restrooms, escalators to all levels, locker rooms, media rooms, club levels, and a possible restaurant. Just imagine the entire second level to be a large open area open to the new "lobby" area. A retractable roof, (not needed?) could be erected over the western end while the old roof is still being in use. I'm glad the Dome stays and we stay on compus. I hope the new Interstate 81 takes into consideration traffic patterns to the Dome.

Heard the new long term facilities plan up on the hill does not change "the essential footprint" of its sports facilities. Translation. The dome ain't moving...and there is no plan for a new facility.
Plans change quickly when the governor offers a couple hundred million for a new stadium.

I heard the seat rumor also and the solution for the lost seating for basketball was to be able to move the court around. 50 yard line for big games

:mad::mad:
Hopefully with a lot of money put into it to make it more 21st century. :) pee troughs be gone!!

image.jpg
Next thing you know, people will want to replace beer vendors with Evian stations. Grrrrrrrr!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 101
It's posts like this that require a dislike button. Go be a Rutgers fan you primitive life form.

Are you like my long-lost brother who I never knew about? :)

Master facilities plans are great, but it seems like most never really come to fruition. I've been hoping that the Dome stays put, with a complete overhaul. However, until that actually happens, the variables for those plans changing are seemingly endless.

Seems wide open to me...

“I think from the chancellor’s standpoint, it’s still at the stage where how does the Carrier Dome fit into the landscape of Syracuse University?” he said.

Quinn, the senior vice president for public affairs at SU, said in a statement that based on the report issued by the workgroup, “the chancellor has publicly indicated several times that given the limited life span of the existing Carrier Dome roof, the University has approximately two years to explore options for the Carrier Dome.”

Quinn said there are three potential alternatives when looking at the future of the Dome: replacing the current roof as is, installing a new roof structure while simultaneously making other improvements or building a different stadium off-site.

SU is assessing the three possibilities as part of the Campus Master Plan framework, Quinn said.

Dougherty said that if there is an agreement, a new stadium could be built within a year.

The only area to expand also is close to where the loading dock area is, which is the most critical part of a stadium.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

The loading area and Stadium Control are one of the five or so things most in need of improvement (and off most fans' radar). It's a tiny space with a steep grade and a turning radius that's too tight.

An expansion will significantly improve this, possibly by reconfiguring the Irving/Raynor/Forestry intersection, and likely by including some sub-grade parking (and bus parking). That'll be the first level of the expansion, with locker rooms and media space above that, and public space (new gates, bar, concessions, bathrooms, probably some giant SU merchandise shop) on a level even with the first concourse (behind Club 44).

The loading area and Stadium Control are one of the five or so things most in need of improvement (and off most fans' radar). It's a tiny space with a steep grade and a turning radius that's too tight.

An expansion will significantly improve this, possibly by reconfiguring the Irving/Raynor/Forestry intersection, and likely by including some sub-grade parking (and bus parking). That'll be the first level of the expansion, with locker rooms and media space above that, and public space (new gates, bar, concessions, bathrooms, probably some giant SU merchandise shop) on a level even with the first concourse (behind Club 44).
They could probably use more elevators too. wouldn't cost too much. having to go around the whole dome to get to the 1 elevator really sucks for disabled/injured people and for the people who work at the tome and have to waste so much time running around (I'm thinking of when I was a box runner in college - having to fight through the concourse with giant hot anti-refrigerator things when the elevator was as far away as it could be)

Heard the new long term facilities plan up on the hill does not change "the essential footprint" of its sports facilities. Translation. The dome ain't moving...and there is no plan for a new facility.
Good, we don't need one, the dome is great for football !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom