The dome... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The dome...

Retractable will give Cuse the edge...scale back seating to 44k. Build your exoskeleton. Add in amenities like bathrooms in the end zone, escalators, wider concourses, individual seats, better coaches boxes, real open flamed restaurants, new HVAC from Carrier, TV production rooms, larger video display, etc...

Look at putting the FB team on the road one season. Play at Cornell, Met Life, Buffalo. Maybe play the before Christmas hoop games at MSG, Rochester, Buffalo and Albany.

If we go retractable, it will almost certainly not ever need repair due to high volumes of use. But, will probably need major repairs after being gummed up from lack of use;)

I see no need. Yes it's a cool bell or whistle, but if it's not used, I'd rather see the money spent on other amenities.

If we go retractable, it will almost certainly not ever need repair due to high volumes of use. But, will probably need major repairs after being gummed up from lack of use;)

I see no need. Yes it's a cool bell or whistle, but if it's not used, I'd rather see the money spent on other amenities.

Let's wait and see the plan/cost first...

Replacing the roof would feel strange. The look of the Dome is so iconic in NYS. Go big or go home, or just switch out the bleachers with individual orange, padded seats (plus-size available) and get an updated cover.

orangeinjersey said:
Why retractable? That is a waste of money, clear panels would be fine
so many retractable teams don't use it. They don't want anyone to get soaked by something unexpected when they're not dressed for it. So they err on the side of caution

This Dome discussion has become the equivalent of Homer's car design..
TheHomer.jpg

SU was not in favor of the off campus stadium proposed by Mshoney. Miner took the heat, but SU was letting people know that it wasn't moving its games there.
Why does the university keep saying an off-site stadium is one of the 3 options if they are "not in favor" of it? why not just take it off the table entirely?

The issue is that the system used is a dinosaur. Getting it fixed, replacement material, etc., are going to be an issue, if it isn't already. I think the administration views a new inflatable roof as a short term solution and realize the Dome needs some serious TLC.
I agree it is outdated but the fact is it still works fine...as good as the day it was built. There is no issue whatsoever in getting the dome fabric replaced. It is the least expensive option and that is why it is on the table.

With that said, I would like to see a fixed roof structure just so they can keep the windows open!

I don't think that statement says "it's not high on his list". It was high on his list when he had a potential few hundred million from the governor and he could just be saying that will be needed to go that route. If they go the cheap route and replace the current roof with new teflon, it's a stop-gap measure to get them to a more permanent decision in 5-10 years.
Can you imagine a half billion dollars becoming available again in our lifetimes?

I foresee the university getting some funding from the state and/or the county due to the dome being the largest basketball arena in NYS. If something were to happen to the dome where would SU play basketball that could fit the crowds that the dome does? The county wouldn't want any of the dome revenue to end up in a different part of the state if something happened where they couldn't play here.

1. If the long term plan is to use that space for something else, go with a short term roof

2. If the long term plan is to dedicate that space to the stadium, go with something more elaborate.

The material that is being used in Minnesota might be the best solution.

1. If the long term plan is to use that space for something else, go with a short term roof

2. If the long term plan is to dedicate that space to the stadium, go with something more elaborate.

A new teflon roof will last 20-25 years. That'll get us into the 2040's when the Dome is over 60 years old.

What's the life expectancy of the Dome anyways?

70 years? 90 years? 100+ years?

Can you imagine a half billion dollars becoming available again in our lifetimes?
It was not a half billion from the state. It was $200M from the state and $100M private investor that would operate it.

Yes, when I see the "Buffalo Billion" being spent, I could see the potential for another similar offer.

The Minnesota solution seems like a good one.

But, I wonder if Corning Glass might not have a better idea tucked away in one of their warehouses, ala Gorilla Glass. It would benefit the Upstate economy even more if a local firm got that contract.

It was not a half billion from the state. It was $200M from the state and $100M private investor that would operate it.

Yes, when I see the "Buffalo Billion" being spent, I could see the potential for another similar offer.
Do you really think $300M would do the job?

A retractable roof on the Dome is like putting a sunroof on a Chevy Vega.

The roof's worth more than the car.
It would cost a couple hundred million just to build the structure that could support the roof (retractable or not). It will not be the current Carrier Dome with a new roof.

so many retractable teams don't use it. They don't want anyone to get soaked by something unexpected when they're not dressed for it. So they err on the side of caution

Right, the only stadiums where retractable roofs make sense somewhat are baseball stadiums, just due to the usage volume. We play 6-7 home games a year in football, and at least half of those games, the weather is complete crap. So we're gonna throw a retractable roof on the stadium so that we can use it, what, maybe 25-30 times in a decade? Waste of money and effort.

Right, the only stadiums where retractable roofs make sense somewhat are baseball stadiums, just due to the usage volume. We play 6-7 home games a year in football, and at least half of those games, the weather is complete crap. So we're gonna throw a retractable roof on the stadium so that we can use it, what, maybe 25-30 times in a decade? Waste of money and effort.
Can be used in the summer and spring too. Right now, with the heat, the summer is out.

Can be used in the summer and spring too. Right now, with the heat, the summer is out.

Used for what? A couple concerts? Maybe, but there are tons of other outdoor concert venues that fit most acts just fine.

SU was not in favor of the off campus stadium proposed by Mshoney. Miner took the heat, but SU was letting people know that it wasn't moving its games there.
http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=997523#.VNDbOi7pKE4
SYRACUSE -- CNYCentral has learned tonight just how close Central New York was to a major development project that would have included a new state of the art major sports arena. Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney said Syracuse University had informally agreed to a 30 year lease in what would have been a new home for the Syracuse University Orange football and basketball teams.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=997523#.VNDbOi7pKE4
SYRACUSE -- CNYCentral has learned tonight just how close Central New York was to a major development project that would have included a new state of the art major sports arena. Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney said Syracuse University had informally agreed to a 30 year lease in what would have been a new home for the Syracuse University Orange football and basketball teams.

Chancy Nancy liked the idea. Others did not. Either the reporter or Mahoney is using a very loose interpretation of "informally agreed."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom