The Downside- UNC II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- UNC II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It wasn’t a “bad loss” but it was a major lost opportunity. A win in this game would have basically clinched an NCAA bid. Now we have to win on the road against Florida State and maybe add a win in the A CC tourney to relax on selection Sunday. It also would have been something to be able to brag that we beat Duke in Cameron and UNC in the Dean Dome in the same season.

- A time out on that last possession wouldn’t have produced a better scoring opportunity than we had. The real issue is: why did Michael; Gbinije drive to the basket with 6 seconds left and his team down by 2 when he’s perfectly capable of setting himself and draining a three pointer in that situation? Just a very bad decision by our best player.

- I just wish we were more efficient as a team. Too many missed dunks and lay-ups, too many turnovers and bobbled rebounds. The team has it’s limitations but we could win more games if we could just the things the players are obviously capable of doing with more consistency.

- Speaking of doing what we know you are capable of, I thought Trevor Cooney had broken out of his slump when the hit those two three sin the first half. He had one field goal the rest of the game, a lay-up.

- Malachi Richardson had quite a run in mid season but has been become frustratingly inconsistent of late. He hit a three to give us a 17-14 lead with 11: 21 left in the first half. He never took another shot in that half. He tried harder to get his shot off in the second half but went 2 for 8 and had 4 turnovers.

- Jim Satalin said it: "We are starting our drives too far form the basket. The defense has time to react and will be there when we get there." I'll add that we almost never pass off a drive- the drivier's only option is to get to the basket and score. The good teams aren't going to let you do that, at least not enough to win the game that way.

- That we were 5 for 20 from three in this game and were still in it all the way is remarkable. It would also be remarkable if we shot like that and went very far in the post season. To have a good post season run, you’ve got to do what you do well…well. You’ve also got to have consistent contributions from all you main players. We are obviously well short of that at this point.

- The first seven fouls of the game were called on North Carolina. The fans booed and Roy Williams spent a time out talking to the officials. Ten of the next 11 calls went against us. I’m not saying they were all bad calls but a lot of them are the sort of thing, like holding in football that you could call on every play if you wanted to, like “warding off”. UNC never did that?

- Listening to the post game show I could hear Roy Williams and the seniors addressing the crowd. It became a sort of pep rally. Why can’t we do something like that on senior day?

- So UNC might be the best team in the country? If they win the national championship, I’ll eat Hooper. (or he'll eat me.)

-

- Listening to the post game show I could hear Roy Williams and the seniors addressing the crowd. It became a sort of pep rally. Why can’t we do something like that on senior day?

He did that at Kansas also. I always thought it was really neat but it does kind of stink if they lose the game. The whole crowd always stayed to listen to the senior speeches.

Last night I kept saying, "You can do better! Come on, Cuse!" But at this point in the season, if they can't do better, maybe this is it? The best they can do this year. I hope not, but it is March already!

The redeeming thing about March, though, is it is Mad.

Last night I kept saying, "You can do better! Come on, Cuse!" But at this point in the season, if they can't do better, maybe this is it? The best they can do this year. I hope not, but it is March already!

The redeeming thing about March, though, is it is Mad.
Warts and all, that flawed SU team arguably outplayed a possible 1-seed on their home floor on senior night. That's not too bad, and enough to beat most teams on most nights.

Warts and all, that flawed SU team arguably outplayed a possible 1-seed on their home floor on senior night. That's not too bad, and enough to beat most teams on most nights.

This is very true. A couple threes go down, two less turnovers, we get back just a touch quicker on D, and that game is very different.

- It wasn’t a “bad loss” but it was a major lost opportunity. A win in this game would have basically clinched an NCAA bid. Now we have to win on the road against Florida State and maybe add a win in the A CC tourney to relax on selection Sunday. It also would have been something to be able to brag that we beat Duke in Cameron and UNC in the Dean Dome in the same season.

- A time out on that last possession wouldn’t have produced a better scoring opportunity than we had. The real issue is: why did Michael; Gbinije drive to the basket with 6 seconds left and his team down by 2 when he’s perfectly capable of setting himself and draining a three pointer in that situation? Just a very bad decision by our best player.

- I just wish we were more efficient as a team. Too many missed dunks and lay-ups, too many turnovers and bobbled rebounds. The team has it’s limitations but we could win more games if we could just the things the players are obviously capable of doing with more consistency.

- Speaking of doing what we know you are capable of, I thought Trevor Cooney had broken out of his slump when the hit those two three sin the first half. He had one field goal the rest of the game, a lay-up.

- Malachi Richardson had quite a run in mid season but has been become frustratingly inconsistent of late. He hit a three to give us a 17-14 lead with 11: 21 left in the first half. He never took another shot in that half. He tried harder to get his shot off in the second half but went 2 for 8 and had 4 turnovers.

- Jim Satalin said it: "We are starting our drives too far form the basket. The defense has time to react and will be there when we get there." I'll add that we almost never pass off a drive- the drivier's only option is to get to the basket and score. The good teams aren't going to let you do that, at least not enough to win the game that way.

- That we were 5 for 20 from three in this game and were still in it all the way is remarkable. It would also be remarkable if we shot like that and went very far in the post season. To have a good post season run, you’ve got to do what you do well…well. You’ve also got to have consistent contributions from all you main players. We are obviously well short of that at this point.

- The first seven fouls of the game were called on North Carolina. The fans booed and Roy Williams spent a time out talking to the officials. Ten of the next 11 calls went against us. I’m not saying they were all bad calls but a lot of them are the sort of thing, like holding in football that you could call on every play if you wanted to, like “warding off”. UNC never did that?

- So UNC might be the best team in the country? If they win the national championship, I’ll eat Hooper. (or he'll eat me.)

Just watched a bit of the game again. Mal had a terrible two minutes to start the second half. Drove into a big, got his shot blocked, and then didn't get back in time resulting in a dunk off of a second pass. 4 point swing right there.

i thought it was cool royboy let the seniors start and play the first 2 minutes of the game.

technically it was 9 or 10 seconds left when g put the shot up

that last drive was again a bit too much red rover red rover come on over ... head down and barrel towards the basket.
seems to be our fast break norm anymore going back to the king red rover dion waiters. nobody even looks for the trailer.

technically it was 9 or 10 seconds left when g put the shot up

Actually about 12 when he made his move:

I now feel that it's not absolutely clear that he made the wrong decision but I 'd still rather have been tied when UNC got the ball and I think it was worth the chance.

Whatever happened to the stop and pop? Travor is doing more of that this year with limited success but why aren't G and Mal doing it? Very difficult to defend and you get a 10 footer in the paint. Not to mention the defender then has to think about that move later which gives you an advantage on the finish at the hoop.

back in the day when you're driving 3 on 1 you draw the defender away and dish. now it's just bust up the china shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom