The fast starts, and then the fizzle out... | Syracusefan.com

The fast starts, and then the fizzle out...

orangeinjersey

All Conference
Is it becuase the kids aren't quite where they need to be with what Dino wants with conditioning, and are gassed, especially as the game goes on? Especially the D, with quick scores and 3 and outs??

At this point I think it's a combination of the offense being inconsistent and a lack of depth on defense.

You can be well conditioned, but if you're thin on depth and on the field as long as our D has to be it can gas you.

Too many 3 and outs, or unsustained drives, not giving the defense a chance to catch their breath. Along with the inability to sub fresh players.

If the offense gets more consistent the defense won't have to be on the field as much as they have been. Time of possession in the Uconn game was a bear for the D...no matter how average the Uconn offense was. I was surprised that the defense held together as well as they did.

I think it has to do with the offense being fast but limited. We run only a few plays and it's mostly Strickland and ET. Defenses adjust to that.

There were signs of diversification in the second half. Maybe we'll be able to sustain our scoring better as the season progresses.

I think it has to do with the offense being fast but limited. We run only a few plays and it's mostly Strickland and ET. Defenses adjust to that.

There were signs of diversification in the second half. Maybe we'll be able to sustain our scoring better as the season progresses.

I'm thinking this may be the issue as well. We catch the other team's defense off guard initially but then they adjust and we don't have anything else in our arsenal to hit them with and things start to stall on offense.

I believe the offense has diversification built into it (or it wouldn't be so historically sucessful) but I think our execution of that diversification will come parallel with Dungey's progress with the mental aspect of the game.

I'm thinking this may be the issue as well. We catch the other team's defense off guard initially but then they adjust and we don't have anything else in our arsenal to hit them with and things start to stall on offense.
We may never know, but I think maybe Dungey's first two series are scripted so he knows exactly where the play is going, and after that is when the offense makes reads based on what he sees. Since it's new to him still, he's iffy making those reads.

Miss 3 starters on the O line and having the other 2 linemen as newbies has something to do with it as well.

We may never know, but I think maybe Dungey's first two series are scripted so he knows exactly where the play is going, and after that is when the offense makes reads based on what he sees. Since it's new to him still, he's iffy making those reads.
You said it better than I tried to.

I think there's something to this. The pattern we have had in our FBS games would seem to bear that out. According to the coaches and players, every play has a run-pass option called on the field once the defense has set. All it takes is the QB making the wrong read, the line blowing its assignments, the RB hitting the wrong hole, etc. for it all to go wrong. The good news perhaps is that more right calls are being made on the field after the first quarter. There are still long droughts (really from 10 minutes in the 1st to 10 minutes in the 3rd or so in this game) but there were some signs vs. UConn that the players are figuring things out.

This is likely the first experience that Dungey has had in reading defenses on the fly and making calls on the field. Last year, with the deliberate play clock, I would say that everything was pretty much scripted. Things went wrong there too and Dungey improvising was about 50% of our offense (this, by the way, is where comparisons made on the board of last year's offense and this year's fall down). Babers' offense is all execution. Poorly executed, it looks like crap. That's why they practice the same 15-20 plays over and over again.

I think with tempo teams its hard to maintain that constant momentum on every possession.

I've never understood scripting plays. You get an incompletion and then an offsides and the next play is scripted to be an off tackle run.

I've never understood scripting plays. You get an incompletion and then an offsides and the next play is scripted to be an off tackle run.
I agree that from a production stand point it seems counter productive given that you are scripting against scenarios that you can't possibly predict.

I think the upside of the scripted start, and the reason they are sometimes used, are for the ability to get a set of plays that immediately identifies defensive tendencies. I think the point is to, as quickly as possible, to find all the defensive tendencies for the the plays you would typically run so that you can call them correctly later in the game (based on how you saw the defense react them earlier)

One of the primary reasons (only?) Pro teams script plays is to get a feel for how the D is going to react to/play certain formations, personnel packages, and to look at coverages/rotations. I'm fairly certain that allowances are built in for the type of situation you described above. See Bill Walsh.

As for the OP and the thought that Dino might be scripting plays...I think it's highly unlikely and kinda counterintuitive to the design of the O. I'm sure they game plan on tendencies from scouting and then practice "when we get this look on third and long, we want to check to..." and so on.

I dont think scripting has anything to do with it.. you still have to make the correct reads. we need a better running game. once we can run things will open up. until then its a crap shoot.

There are a ton of empty plays happening because of poor reads, and Dino basically says so every PC.

we missed 2 FGs, and dropped one easy TD and has at least 2 other wide open guys that Dungey missed. Uconn has a solid D and we quite easily could have have put up 45-50. thats nothing to sneeze at.

we need more consistency and field position.. too many 50-60 yd drives that net nothing.

It's not really in order, you just have a bunch of plays,and the defense, and scenario dictate which plays you will call.

It's not really in order, you just have a bunch of plays,and the defense, and scenario dictate which plays you will call.

In other words: a game plan.

Last edited:
Eventually someone is going to try to shut down #7. I hope we have someone else who can make those catches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom