The GMAC comparison | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The GMAC comparison

I haven't been able to see a lot of games this year but it seems to be that JG3 has a wider variety of shots when he is inside the arc. I think GMac's handling was underated but when he drove it was to pass and rarely to finish.

Situations are pretty different. Joe can launch 3s at his own net and won’t be pulled given the other options. Gerry had a superstar in Melo and another wing who would play a decade in the NBA and 3 very good guards each of their only weakness was outside shooting. His surrounding cast was perfect and moreover encouraged him shooting pretty much as many 3s as he could as well.

I think Joe has a better handle and is a better passer at this stage. he might have a better range and even less of a conscience about shooitng it. he certainly is a point guard and I wonder what his numbers would be if we have a a post -up scorer for him to feed. Joe doesn't have the great dramatic moments Gerry had - yet. Both cane be "closers", making free throws in the final minute if we can only got into that minute with a lead to protect.

Gerry's two problems were that he was already so good as a freshman he seemed to not improve much and people became impatient with that. And his supporting cast declined as his career went along and the defensive attention increased. Hopefully the trend will be the opposite for Joe, so still has some upside to reach for.

JG doesn't need to be GMac to be pretty impressive. At least he's way beyond my expectations for him this year, which admittedly weren't high.

His play has at least partially offset Carey's inability to contribute and Quincy being nowhere near as ready as many had thought.

Gerry is/was faster/quicker than JG3 and therefore better at driving the ball and getting to the lane. Gerry had a nice floater that allowed him to get his shot off in the lane.

I'm not really sure that the stats bear that out totally - at least the ones available. In his freshman year, Gerry averaged 3.6 two point field goal attempts and 2.8 free throw attempts per game. Joe is averaging 3.2 and 2.9 per game, respectively. That doesn't tell the whole picture, since the two point field goal attempts stat doesn't differentiate between a layup and a shot with your foot on the three point line, but it does show that at this point, they are pretty equal in those areas. Joe also hasn't had the added benefit of shooting free throws at the end of close games very often, since we really haven't had many (especially with us holding the lead).

I will say that Joe still has a lot to work on with his game, but I have been pleasantly surprised this year with his ability to make a significant impact in some games. Most impressively (perhaps because it was most unexpected) has been his ability to handle the basketball. It seemed as though in the past year leading up to him coming in as a freshman, many on here were highly critical of his handle, saying that it's ok playing against kids in his league in the Capitol Region, but he'd get his pocket picked by ACC defenders.
My expectations were low - and I know his handle could definitely still use some work - but I'm not sure if there is anyone else on this team that I would trust to bring the ball up more against pressure defense than Joe.

I'm not really sure that the stats bear that out totally - at least the ones available. In his freshman year, Gerry averaged 3.6 two point field goal attempts and 2.8 free throw attempts per game. Joe is averaging 3.2 and 2.9 per game, respectively. That doesn't tell the whole picture, since the two point field goal attempts stat doesn't differentiate between a layup and a shot with your foot on the three point line, but it does show that at this point, they are pretty equal in those areas. Joe also hasn't had the added benefit of shooting free throws at the end of close games very often, since we really haven't had many (especially with us holding the lead).
I don't understand the response in relation to my post, but many of Gerry's games are on Youtube. Gerry was quicker and faster than JG3 is.

Go watch the cross over move jgIII made right before halftime against Virginia Tech. He didn’t finish but that was something Gerry didn’t have in his arsenal. i also think jgIII is a little more physical and might snag more defensive rebounds than GMac.

But that said while I know it’s fun to compare it’s hard to say jg3 is in the same league as a guy who hit 6 threes on a Monday night in April, scored 43 in an NCAA tourney game and willed the Orangemen to a BET championship with heroics we’ve never seen before or since.

Yesterday was a step in that direction.

I don't understand the response in relation to my post, but many of Gerry's games are on Youtube. Gerry was quicker and faster than JG3 is.

Sorry, I thought you said better at getting to the line, not lane. In any event, I'm not really sure that there is a very discernible difference in quickness between Gerry and JG3, and based on their similar two point attempt numbers, it doesn't appear that Gerry was getting into the lane all that much more than JG3 is now.

Game is so different compared to 2003. We played 8 guys and two of those bench guys were guys who didn’t shoot!

I miss the days when you could have slashers who were good players, that didn’t shoot 3’s.

The game now looks how it did back in the days on video games when dweebs that didn’t even really play basketball used to play NBA Live.

I miss the days when you could have slashers who were good players, that didn’t shoot 3’s.

The game now looks how it did back in the days on video games when dweebs that didn’t even really play basketball used to play NBA Live.
It is why scoring is down. 3s only count when they go in...

Regarding Hughes...how do his and Melo's stats stack up? I was thinking during the game he seemed like a poor mans melo.
I said the same thing when Hughes hit the jab step, jab step, lull the defender to sleep, hit a three pointer. Melo-esque for sure.

Gmac was an amazing player. He definitely benefited by playing on a great team. Gerry is quicker than Joe. Joe has a better handle. Both guys are excellent shooters and fiercely competitive. One great player and one with great potential.

Would Joe have made 6 3’s in the 1st half of the NC game?

You never know! He had a bunch of 50 point games in winning the states, just like Gerry did at Bishop Hannan.

Gmac was an amazing player. He definitely benefited by playing on a great team. Gerry is quicker than Joe. Joe has a better handle. Both guys are excellent shooters and fiercely competitive. One great player and one with great potential.

Joe is physically stronger than Gerry. He uses his off arm well to guard his dribble. It's like a forearm shiver that he probably learned playing football.
I always talk about Edelin being our most naturally gifted PG, in terms of just his feel for the game. But Gerry was pretty good at finding the right guy on the break. I don't think he was quite as effective in the half court as a PG.

In those days, I liked Gerry coming off a Craig Forth pick with somebody else passing him the ball, a lot more than Gerry having to create his own offense off the dribble.

Double Dribble! Fadeaway corner threes or dunks! Anything in between is a JOKE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom