The Jim Boeheim Show- after Duke | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- after Duke

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

Coach, much has been made of Coach Krzyzewski walking away from the handshake line to talk to someone else. There was long discussion on the radio about whether there should be a handshake line at the end of games at all, whether it’s more appropriate to youth sports leagues than college games or something essential as a symbol of sportsmanship. How important is it to shake hands at the end of games and how offended were your players when Coach K walked away rather than shake hands with them?

Second hour:

Coach, another discussion on the radio was about the state of modern basketball. We used to get fries for 100 points, then tacos for 75 points. Now it’s tacos for 70 points. There’s a formula you can use to determine the number of possessions in a game and that 1965-66 team you played on averaged 186 combined possessions between them and their opponents. In subsequent years the averages were 150-160 possessions until the mid-1990’s, after which it declined to about 130. In the Duke game there were 114 possessions. We’ve got a shot clock and a three point line. You’ve discussed why teams don’t press- the ball handling is too good these days. In the Duke game there was one basket scored off of a fast break and one from a jump shot between the paint and the three point line, where Lawrence Moten used to set scoring records. Can anything be done to return basketball to the game we fell in love with years ago?

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. They are now doing two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(Note: the next show is scheduled for Tuesday night since there is a game on Thursday of next week.)

The first and most important subject was this weekends’ weather and how it might affect the game. Coach Boeheim wasn’t confident it would come off at all. “At first I heard it was going to be 2 feet o of snow. If that’s the case, there’s no way they can even play on Sunday. There’s not many dates available the rest of the way. We have some gaps but they haven’t played too many games and they don’t have as many gaps in the rest of the schedule. They have rescheduled their game with Wake Forest from Monday to Tuesday…. We could fly into Richmond or Washington but those places will be hit, too. We could take a bus from there but the roads could be icy. The airlines have already cancelled. In the old days we flew commercial but we have our own plane now… I just don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s supposed to be the worse on Friday and Saturday and then clear up…. We had to delay a Georgetown trip one year. We’ve been pretty fortunate since we play in the northeast. We’ve had some tough times. We had to postpone a game once….It won’t be cancelled. There’s too much at stake.”

Later Wayne Mahar, the weatherman for CNY Central, (and Channels 3 and 5 in the Syracuse area), called in. Matt called him “meteorologist to the stars”, because he owns a company that contracts to provide weather forecasts and they were hired by the Academy Awards. He asked the coach what the travel plans are. JB: “We’re going to try to go down Saturday. I’ve heard they dropped the prediction about snow amounts for Charlotte.” Wayne said he’s projecting 20-30 inches. Wayne said the snow should start around 2PM tomorrow and remain heavy until Saturday night when it will slowly taper off. Coach said “Then there is no way they’ll be ready to play by Sunday. They aren’t used to it. The roads won’t be passable. Richmond is two hours away.” Wayne: “I don’t see any flights coming in or out of Charlottesville or Richmond.” Jim said they had their own plane, ”and we can usually land our plane if they clear the field.” (I don’t like the sound of that at all.)

Regarding the Wake Forest and Duke games: “Trevor got us off to a good start. We had a real good performance on offense on defense. There are not many easy wins in the ACC, especially on the road. That almost never happens….We outplayed Duke, frankly. We got an 8 point lead and had a couple of opportunities to put it away. We didn’t do it but made some defensive plays to win…We still had a foul to give but Grayson did what we wanted- take a tough shot. The play at the end of the game was not a foul. Nobody thinks it was. The lesson is: go after the ball when the game’s on the line. It might win the game.”

Liam in Pompey congratulated Jim and the team on their success. He always seems to ask about the officiating and tonight was no different. He wanted to know why a call involving Mal Richardson was changed from a block to a charge- the defender had one foot inside the arc. Both had to be out for it to be a charge. Then Liam jumped my question about Coach K. Jim repeated his story about “being told by
someone that he looking at what somebody told me were students. He came back to shake some hands. He was distracted by something. The officials had left the court.” If you put a stop watch on the officials at the buzzer, you’d get a pretty good 40 time.

“There wasn’t much to talk about but that’s what people do. If we’d lost they’d be talking about that but we won so they have to talk about this. One guy said that Coach K should have been playing zone. You can be a radio talk show host and still have some sense of right and wrong! Coaches don’t get ‘out-coached’!”

I called in my first question anyway. JB: “I don’t think anybody was offended. He was distracted. I could go either way, (on having a handshake line or not). They do it in hockey but not in most college sports. They don’t do it in pro basketball. Lacrosse does it. We used to shake hands before the game. I don’t think it’s a bad thing. I wouldn’t care if we kept it or not. I don’t remember if we shook hands when I played. I don’t think we did.” He suggested that I like to look things up. Maybe I could research it. I told him that I’d have to ask someone who’s been around for 50 years. He laughed and said “And he doesn’t remember it!” Matt noted that JB had “had some fun with the crowd, which was demanding that you take your jacket off.” JB: “I gave then a fake coat take-off.”

Vito in North Syracuse wants the coach on the SU sideline. “Nothing against Hop.” He recalled the call against CJ Fair. “I don’t blame you for your reaction. I almost busted my TV. CJ adjusted his body to avoid the charge and the defender took a shuttle step to get in his way. I was sure it was going to be a blocking call.” JB: “So was I.” Vito wanted to know if this year’s improvement was due to a team meeting “where you asked if these guys wanted to go to the NIT”. He compared the defensive improvement to “a similar uptick in 2013” after the Georgetown game, which Vito said was the only SU game he’d ever missed. He was on a Royal Caribbean cruise and “driving the captain crazy trying to get the game.” JB: “You didn’t miss much.”

JB: “There was no meeting. Just some good practices. At times the defense has been good- Miami and Pittsburgh. The offense was bad in those games. Against Georgetown and St. John’s the defense was bad. It was not a good situation for Hop, taking over my team. They were hearing a different voice. But they got better. They had Clemson beat. We ran a drill to foul with 20 seconds left in practice today and a walk on hit a three pointer, just like Clemson did. If it’s 8-10 seconds you want to foul. Sometimes players freeze a little.” Vito asked why UNC had had such success inside against us. “They used the high post and went from there to the low post. They had two 6-11 guys who could score. Our center would go out to the high post and the other guy would be guarded by Mal Richardson who’s only 6-4. They also had three point shooters we had to commit to. Yet we were winning for 35 minutes against that team by playing the way we were playing. North Carolina is very difficult for anybody to guard. Florida State is a very good man for man team and they scored 100, (actually 109) points on them. UNC is the best team in our league and probably in the country. We’ve got more tough games ahead than we’ve played so far.” Vito said that he figures the team “is good for 11-12 wins this year.” JB: “We’ve already got 13!”.

Ken called in to announce that he goes crazy every time he sees a moving pick. He also doesn’t like it when Cooney’s trying to move around with a handful of his jersey in somebody’s hand.” JB: “We all think we aren’t getting calls. The officiating at Duke was OK. Cooney got hit in the head on a couple of jump shots and Michael got hit on a lay-up but got the ball back and scored. People hold Trevor a lot. But if they do it for the whole game, the referees don’t call it.” This confirms something I’ve always said: referees call what is unusual. If a team fouls constantly as part of their playing style they’ll get away with it because the refs are only going to call the most egregious fouls.

“Duke can’t foul for the same reason we can’t foul- they’ve only got 6-7 guys.” (Interesting, I heard Duke had 7 McDonald’s All-Americas on their team- but they have no depth.) “A Duke team shooting 9-10 free throws is rare. Games are better when not as many fouls are called.” Ken asked why “bigger guys like Plumley get away with more than smaller guys.” JB: “There’s going to be some of those calls. I’m sure they thought we were over the back, too….if both coaches are complaining, the game has probably been equal.” Ken asked about Trevor “sticking his leg out to prevent penetration. Sometimes the ball hits him in the leg and they call it a kick even though his leg wasn’t moving.” JB: “If the ball is thrown it the knee they’re not supposed to call that but they do. I’ll take the trade off if it will prevent penetration.”

Dexter wanted to know Jim’s reaction to Coach K’s “amazing” press conference. JB: “It was a good play. Both guys came together. Both had the ball and Mal pulled it away. People I’ve talked to in the league don’t believe it’s a foul. It was a well officiated game. We still had a foul to give. They would have had a few seconds to get a shot off. If the same thing happened here, I’d probably want a foul to be called.”

Stephan in Utica compared Cameron Indoor Arena to Wrigley Field. (It’s harder for the visitors to win in one place than the other.) Coach wondered how long Cameron had been around. Gomez looked it up: since 1940. Coach said “That’s 85 years….75! I did the math.” I like a coach who can do the math.

Stephan wondered if the coach might consider this team comparable to our 2002-03 national champions. JB: “Not really. We are a little more like the 1995-96 team that kept grinding out wins and got better as the year went on.” My own view is that this year’s team would indeed resemble the 2002-03 team if we had Carmelo Anthony instead of Tyler Lydon, Hakim Warrick instead of Tyler Roberson, Craig Forth instead of DaJuan Coleman, Kueth Duany instead of Michael Gbinje, Gerry McNamara instead of Trevor Cooney, Josh Pace instead of Mal Richardson and Billy Edelin instead of Franklin Howard….I do see a resemblance to the 2012-2013 team however, which had Michael Carter Williams and Brandon Triche driving to the basket, a good outside shooter in James Southerland and a couple of centers who didn’t score in Rakeem Christmas and Baye Moussa Kieta. That team even had Trevor Cooney!

Pat called in saying he was the only one who predicted we would win at Duke. He has a problem with callers who want to see us play some man-to-man when playing zone for 40 minutes is the “identity of the program…When we make adjustments, we make adjustments within the zone.” JB: “All the time. Teams that play man to man spend an hour and a quarter on man to man each practice to get good at it. The rest of practice is on the offense. Man to man coaches who want to play zone spend 10-15 minutes on it. Zone coaches would have to spend a full hour to get become just OK on man-to-man. You’d need 3 ½ hour practices. With 6-7 guys, we don’t have the energy for that. But if you lose, the talk shows say to play man for man. If we played man for man they’d say to play zone. If Duke had played zone we’d have
beaten them by 10-15 points. If we’d played man for man, Duke would have beaten us by 10-15 points. Coaches like Bill Self teach a great man to man. If he has to make adjustments, he makes it within his man to man because that’s their defense. We don’t play zone all the time because I’m stubborn. We play it’s because it’s our best defense. As we play good teams we’re getting better at it. We won more Big East games and went to more finals than anyone. We’re a good tournament team and have a good winning percentage in the NCAAs. If you like man to man, you’re not going to like us.”

“Virginia’s defense is tough. Last year they double-teamed Rak. They’ve had one home loss in three years. That was at home to Duke on almost second shot that went out and back in again. They aren’t quite as good this year. They lost 2 great players. They are very strong and play great defense.”

I called in my second question about the state of the game. JB: “We still have a game people love. (Back in 1965-66) we were one of the highest scoring teams. We had a great offensive team and pressed all the time. But most teams were scoring 70 points a game, just like they do now. There’s been a change in coaching philosophies with an emphasis on defense. It takes time to get good shots off. Many of our points against Duke came on throw-ins or offensive rebounds. In Divisions 2 and 3 you see teams scoring 100 points a game but at this level, defense is the priority. If we had a 24 second clock, we’d get another 5-6 possessions. (I don’t know if he meant Syracuse would get 5-6 more possessions or that there would be 5-6 more possessions combined) But I don’t think we’ll get that, There’s no appetite for it.”

I pressed him on the subject of the fast break and two point jumpers. “It’s hard to fast-break. Teams get back on defense. We emphasize getting back on defense.” (I’d love to have the fast-break points numbers for the Sherman Douglas teams.) “If a player is within a foot of the three point line, any coach will say he should be beyond the line. A 15 footer might be OK. Lawrence Moten would till take the 15 footer today but he could make threes, too.” Moten was 197 for 624, (5 a game out of 14 shots overall) from the arc in his career, 31.6 “In high school they are shooting threes or driving.” So what we have is basketball without the press, the fast break or the two point jump shot.

Gomez asked him what rule changes he’d still like to see. “It’s bad that coaches can’t call time outs any more- only players can. Players are concentrating on playing. They only call time outs when I shout at them to do so….All time outs should be 30 seconds.” (I’m in favor of that, since all commercials would have to be 30 seconds!) “When the referees have to look at the monitors, players should not be able to go back to the bench and get a free time out with their coach.”

Brad called to ask what Tyler Roberson was doing differently. JB: “We use him as a screener. When we do that, his man has to help. If he rolls hard, he can get to the ball. If he’s not aggressive enough, he’s pretty easy to block out. Tyler Lydon is similar. Virginia blocks out on rebounds and he’ll have to work harder to get to the ball. Wake Forest and Duke don’t block out so he was able to get to the ball. He doesn’t work hard enough when he’s blocked out. But he’s getting stronger and giving a more concerted effort.”

Tyler “looks good on those 12 foot shots”. JB: “We chart these things and he shoots about 20% from there. He thinks he can make it. He also thinks he can make free throws but he can’t do that, either. He’s not there yet. He would be a great player if he could make the 15 footer. It would set up his drives. He works 15-20 minutes with Adrian Autry in practice. He makes them there but he has a chance to get a rhythm going. You can’t do that in games.” I got the impression that JB was not being dismissive of Tyler’s recent accomplishments but believes his potential is even greater than that and he wants to push him to be great. The results should be interesting.

Here’s an important note: Pearl Washington is “having a tough time” and Go Fund Me fund has been set up for him. CTO already has it linked on the board. Please see if you can help out one of our biggest SU basketball heroes. (As I type this, Matt Mulcahy said on the news that Pearl is no longer able to walk and needs round-the-clock care.)

Here’s an important note: Pearl Washington is “having a tough time” and Go Fund Me fund has been set up for him. CTO already has it linked on the board. Please see if you can help out one of our biggest SU basketball heroes. (As I type this, Matt Mulcahy said on the news that Pearl is no longer able to walk and needs round-the-clock care.)

This is really disturbing news....

"Later Wayne Mahar, the weatherman for CNY Central, (and Channels 3 and 5 in the Syracuse area), called in. Matt called him “meteorologist to the stars”, because he owns a company that contracts to provide weather forecasts and they were hired by the Academy Awards. He asked the coach what the travel..."

who on earth would pay for a weather forecast ? jeezus there's a million free apps for that! is he the miss clio of climatologists?

"Later Wayne Mahar, the weatherman for CNY Central, (and Channels 3 and 5 in the Syracuse area), called in. Matt called him “meteorologist to the stars”, because he owns a company that contracts to provide weather forecasts and they were hired by the Academy Awards. He asked the coach what the travel..."

who on earth would pay for a weather forecast ? jeezus there's a million free apps for that! is he the miss clio of climatologists?

He even does the Cannes Film Festival:
http://precisionweather.com/about-history

All you have to do is to predict this:
cannes-011.jpg

Stephan in Utica compared Cameron Indoor Arena to Wrigley Field. (It’s harder for the visitors to win in one place than the other.) Coach wondered how long Cameron had been around. Gomez looked it up: since 1940. Coach said “That’s 85 years….75! I did the math.” I like a coach who can do the math.

Such an anti-Shafer agenda...

PART 2

A caller asked if this was the first week they’d gone for two hours. (No, that was a couple weeks ago.) JB: Nobody knows because nobody listens.”

Gomez heard the Washington Wizards had a deal where the price of a ticket goes down 10% with each 56 inches of snow- but they weren’t trying to get fans on the road during a blizzard. The reduction is for a game next week.

Gomez read that the Knicks were now worth $3 billion as a franchise. JB noted that Madison Square Garden owned the Knicks, the Rangers, the Liberty and several minor league teams. “Nobody loses money. You could lose $10-15 million over 10 years and the value of the franchise goes up over $200 million in that time. Michael Jordan, who is a really good businessman, bought 80% of the Charlotte Bobcats when they were worth $275 million. Now, as the Hornets, they are worth $750 million. Nike is still paying him $90-100 million a year.” Gomez and Jim considered the possibility of buying a pro sports franchise but concluded, alas that they lacked the necessary funds. If only those Powerball tickets had had the right numbers….

Gomez suggested that Carmelo Anthony has become a more well-rounded player. JB disagreed. “He’s got more players who can score so he he’s got more players to pass to. They have more balance. But they still need another player or two. You can see how valuable he is- he missed 4-5 games and they lost all of them. He’ll play for 4-5 more years and wind up in the top ten of all-time scorers.”

Golden State “beat the two best teams in the East by 50 points.” (Actually 65: they beat the Cavs 132-98 and the Bulls 125-94.) “Cleveland will get better. Curry is a dominate player like we’ve not seen sicne M.J. He shoots from so far out.”

Andre Drummond, who is shooting 35.8% from the line, was fouled 5 times in 9 seconds and set an NBA record with 23 missed free throws in (13 for 36) in what wound up a victory over Houston. If hacking guys who can’t shoot fouls a valid strategy? Make it an intentional foul –two shots and the ball. I don’t know why they wouldn’t call it but they haven’t.” I prefer a suggestion I heard form Steve Infanti on the radio earlier in the day: give the fouled team a choice of possession or attempting free throws. That would make for some interesting decisions.

The Orangewomen were getting blown out by Notre Dame, (62-90). “Notre Dame has been second best to UCONN the last 4-5 years. The SU women depend on three point shooting and they must be having a bad night.” They were a reasonable 6 for 26 outside the arc but only 17 for 56 inside of it:
http://espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=400842275

Regarding USA basketball this summer, “We’re not even going to have a trial. We’ll just take the healthy ones.

Kentucky “needs a big win on the road” at Arkansas, (and got it, 80-66). “They are all young guys and not quite as talented as last year…One of our biggest road wins was at Arkansas.” Gomez suggest playing there was like playing at Cameron. JB: “It’s a big place, a nice place….Kentucky is playing well.” I assume that means that Cameron is a small place that isn’t nice.

Villanova is 17-2 and “very good- they’ll dominate that league. They have seniors that know what they are doing. They have one center and 4 guards. They’ve been good three years in a row…Georgetown had a big win at Xavier who had lost one game “

Top 25 teams have lost 22 times in the last 10 days. “Duke hadn’t lost three straight since 2007. Michigan State almost three straight and like Duke, two were at home. There’s plenty of balance, a lot of good teams. Texas was 1-2 in the Bahamas and they’ve beaten North Carolina, Iowa State and West Virginia.”

Brian in Ithaca called to remind coach of a mutual acquaintance, Danny Wells who worked at his camp for 30+ years. Danny was credited with “raising good men”.

They acknowledged the hiring of Kathryn Smith by the Buffalo Bills. Gomez asked the coach for his predictions on the NFL playoffs. He’s been “a Patriots fan for a long time and I like their quarterback and coach”. He didn’t predict the other game.

A caller wanted to know who Jim would like to book into the new amphitheater on Onondaga Lake, (nobody right now…). JB: “It’s not big enough for Springsteen. I’ve bene to about 8 of his concerts. I didn’t even know who he was when I first heard him but I’m a big fan. I’ve been to a concert with Diana Ross and the Supremes. But I’m not much of a concert guy. When I went to my eighth Springsteen concert, I figured that was enough. I like music. I should listen to more of it on the radio rather than those talk shows.” Ahah! So much for his claim of only knowing what is said on the radio by “getting reports” of what was said!

I hope the keep fouling the bad FT shooters. Lets get bad shooters out of the game.
Although, a rule that an off the ball foul not in the flow of play or a true defensive play was 2 shots and the ball, or select the shooter, would also work.

Andre Drummond, who is shooting 35.8% from the line, was fouled 5 times in 9 seconds and set an NBA record with 23 missed free throws in (13 for 36) in what wound up a victory over Houston. If hacking guys who can’t shoot fouls a valid strategy? Make it an intentional foul –two shots and the ball. I don’t know why they wouldn’t call it but they haven’t.” I prefer a suggestion I heard form Steve Infanti on the radio earlier in the day: give the fouled team a choice of possession or attempting free throws. That would make for some interesting decisions.

Seems to me that being able to shoot free throws is an important part of the game. Most teams game plan to try to take advantage of the opponent's weaknesses. Drummond's weakness is he can't shoot free throws to save his life. Why should we make rules to protect a team from one of its players weaknesses. The answer is truly that they should get Drummond out of the game when it becomes clear that the opponent is going to give fouls just to send him to the game......oh yeah and Drummond needs to work on his free throw shooting.

Coaches have to make situational decisions about who to play and who not to play based on their abilities all the time. If you have a guy who can't shoot free throws then you need to get him out of the game when it becomes clear that the other teams strategy has become forcing him to the line. How is it any different than deciding to press a team that doesn't have good ball handlers on the floor? You wouldn't make a rule to protect the one team's desire to put 5 guys on the floor who aren't good ball handlers.

growing up in the seventies the only way onto the court at the Y was to make a free throw. first 5 makes challenged the winner. otherwise you sat.

"...and we can usually land our plane if they clear the field.”

We can only hope the coach misspoke here and there haven't been attempted landings we don't know about.

some in-flight audio picked up by the air traffic control tower last year:

"some bad news here gang .evidently we're too heavy too land. bj, ronnie, i need you to jump...and kaleb pack a chute."

Last edited:
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

Coach, much has been made of Coach Krzyzewski walking away from the handshake line to talk to someone else. There was long discussion on the radio about whether there should be a handshake line at the end of games at all, whether it’s more appropriate to youth sports leagues than college games or something essential as a symbol of sportsmanship. How important is it to shake hands at the end of games and how offended were your players when Coach K walked away rather than shake hands with them?

Second hour:

Coach, another discussion on the radio was about the state of modern basketball. We used to get fries for 100 points, then tacos for 75 points. Now it’s tacos for 70 points. There’s a formula you can use to determine the number of possessions in a game and that 1965-66 team you played on averaged 186 combined possessions between them and their opponents. In subsequent years the averages were 150-160 possessions until the mid-1990’s, after which it declined to about 130. In the Duke game there were 114 possessions. We’ve got a shot clock and a three point line. You’ve discussed why teams don’t press- the ball handling is too good these days. In the Duke game there was one basket scored off of a fast break and one from a jump shot between the paint and the three point line, where Lawrence Moten used to set scoring records. Can anything be done to return basketball to the game we fell in love with years ago?

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. They are now doing two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(Note: the next show is scheduled for Tuesday night since there is a game on Thursday of next week.)

The first and most important subject was this weekends’ weather and how it might affect the game. Coach Boeheim wasn’t confident it would come off at all. “At first I heard it was going to be 2 feet o of snow. If that’s the case, there’s no way they can even play on Sunday. There’s not many dates available the rest of the way. We have some gaps but they haven’t played too many games and they don’t have as many gaps in the rest of the schedule. They have rescheduled their game with Wake Forest from Monday to Tuesday…. We could fly into Richmond or Washington but those places will be hit, too. We could take a bus from there but the roads could be icy. The airlines have already cancelled. In the old days we flew commercial but we have our own plane now… I just don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s supposed to be the worse on Friday and Saturday and then clear up…. We had to delay a Georgetown trip one year. We’ve been pretty fortunate since we play in the northeast. We’ve had some tough times. We had to postpone a game once….It won’t be cancelled. There’s too much at stake.”

Later Wayne Mahar, the weatherman for CNY Central, (and Channels 3 and 5 in the Syracuse area), called in. Matt called him “meteorologist to the stars”, because he owns a company that contracts to provide weather forecasts and they were hired by the Academy Awards. He asked the coach what the travel plans are. JB: “We’re going to try to go down Saturday. I’ve heard they dropped the prediction about snow amounts for Charlotte.” Wayne said he’s projecting 20-30 inches. Wayne said the snow should start around 2PM tomorrow and remain heavy until Saturday night when it will slowly taper off. Coach said “Then there is no way they’ll be ready to play by Sunday. They aren’t used to it. The roads won’t be passable. Richmond is two hours away.” Wayne: “I don’t see any flights coming in or out of Charlottesville or Richmond.” Jim said they had their own plane, ”and we can usually land our plane if they clear the field.” (I don’t like the sound of that at all.)

Regarding the Wake Forest and Duke games: “Trevor got us off to a good start. We had a real good performance on offense on defense. There are not many easy wins in the ACC, especially on the road. That almost never happens….We outplayed Duke, frankly. We got an 8 point lead and had a couple of opportunities to put it away. We didn’t do it but made some defensive plays to win…We still had a foul to give but Grayson did what we wanted- take a tough shot. The play at the end of the game was not a foul. Nobody thinks it was. The lesson is: go after the ball when the game’s on the line. It might win the game.”

Liam in Pompey congratulated Jim and the team on their success. He always seems to ask about the officiating and tonight was no different. He wanted to know why a call involving Mal Richardson was changed from a block to a charge- the defender had one foot inside the arc. Both had to be out for it to be a charge. Then Liam jumped my question about Coach K. Jim repeated his story about “being told by
someone that he looking at what somebody told me were students. He came back to shake some hands. He was distracted by something. The officials had left the court.” If you put a stop watch on the officials at the buzzer, you’d get a pretty good 40 time.

“There wasn’t much to talk about but that’s what people do. If we’d lost they’d be talking about that but we won so they have to talk about this. One guy said that Coach K should have been playing zone. You can be a radio talk show host and still have some sense of right and wrong! Coaches don’t get ‘out-coached’!”

I called in my first question anyway. JB: “I don’t think anybody was offended. He was distracted. I could go either way, (on having a handshake line or not). They do it in hockey but not in most college sports. They don’t do it in pro basketball. Lacrosse does it. We used to shake hands before the game. I don’t think it’s a bad thing. I wouldn’t care if we kept it or not. I don’t remember if we shook hands when I played. I don’t think we did.” He suggested that I like to look things up. Maybe I could research it. I told him that I’d have to ask someone who’s been around for 50 years. He laughed and said “And he doesn’t remember it!” Matt noted that JB had “had some fun with the crowd, which was demanding that you take your jacket off.” JB: “I gave then a fake coat take-off.”

Vito in North Syracuse wants the coach on the SU sideline. “Nothing against Hop.” He recalled the call against CJ Fair. “I don’t blame you for your reaction. I almost busted my TV. CJ adjusted his body to avoid the charge and the defender took a shuttle step to get in his way. I was sure it was going to be a blocking call.” JB: “So was I.” Vito wanted to know if this year’s improvement was due to a team meeting “where you asked if these guys wanted to go to the NIT”. He compared the defensive improvement to “a similar uptick in 2013” after the Georgetown game, which Vito said was the only SU game he’d ever missed. He was on a Royal Caribbean cruise and “driving the captain crazy trying to get the game.” JB: “You didn’t miss much.”

JB: “There was no meeting. Just some good practices. At times the defense has been good- Miami and Pittsburgh. The offense was bad in those games. Against Georgetown and St. John’s the defense was bad. It was not a good situation for Hop, taking over my team. They were hearing a different voice. But they got better. They had Clemson beat. We ran a drill to foul with 20 seconds left in practice today and a walk on hit a three pointer, just like Clemson did. If it’s 8-10 seconds you want to foul. Sometimes players freeze a little.” Vito asked why UNC had had such success inside against us. “They used the high post and went from there to the low post. They had two 6-11 guys who could score. Our center would go out to the high post and the other guy would be guarded by Mal Richardson who’s only 6-4. They also had three point shooters we had to commit to. Yet we were winning for 35 minutes against that team by playing the way we were playing. North Carolina is very difficult for anybody to guard. Florida State is a very good man for man team and they scored 100, (actually 109) points on them. UNC is the best team in our league and probably in the country. We’ve got more tough games ahead than we’ve played so far.” Vito said that he figures the team “is good for 11-12 wins this year.” JB: “We’ve already got 13!”.

Ken called in to announce that he goes crazy every time he sees a moving pick. He also doesn’t like it when Cooney’s trying to move around with a handful of his jersey in somebody’s hand.” JB: “We all think we aren’t getting calls. The officiating at Duke was OK. Cooney got hit in the head on a couple of jump shots and Michael got hit on a lay-up but got the ball back and scored. People hold Trevor a lot. But if they do it for the whole game, the referees don’t call it.” This confirms something I’ve always said: referees call what is unusual. If a team fouls constantly as part of their playing style they’ll get away with it because the refs are only going to call the most egregious fouls.

“Duke can’t foul for the same reason we can’t foul- they’ve only got 6-7 guys.” (Interesting, I heard Duke had 7 McDonald’s All-Americas on their team- but they have no depth.) “A Duke team shooting 9-10 free throws is rare. Games are better when not as many fouls are called.” Ken asked why “bigger guys like Plumley get away with more than smaller guys.” JB: “There’s going to be some of those calls. I’m sure they thought we were over the back, too….if both coaches are complaining, the game has probably been equal.” Ken asked about Trevor “sticking his leg out to prevent penetration. Sometimes the ball hits him in the leg and they call it a kick even though his leg wasn’t moving.” JB: “If the ball is thrown it the knee they’re not supposed to call that but they do. I’ll take the trade off if it will prevent penetration.”

Dexter wanted to know Jim’s reaction to Coach K’s “amazing” press conference. JB: “It was a good play. Both guys came together. Both had the ball and Mal pulled it away. People I’ve talked to in the league don’t believe it’s a foul. It was a well officiated game. We still had a foul to give. They would have had a few seconds to get a shot off. If the same thing happened here, I’d probably want a foul to be called.”

Stephan wondered if the coach might consider this team comparable to our 2002-03 national champions. JB: “Not really. We are a little more like the 1995-96 team that kept grinding out wins and got better as the year went on.” My own view is that this year’s team would indeed resemble the 2002-03 team if we had Carmelo Anthony instead of Tyler Lydon, Hakim Warrick instead of Tyler Roberson, Craig Forth instead of DaJuan Coleman, Kueth Duany instead of Michael Gbinje, Gerry McNamara instead of Trevor Cooney, Josh Pace instead of Mal Richardson and Billy Edelin instead of Franklin Howard….I do see a resemblance to the 2012-2013 team however, which had Michael Carter Williams and Brandon Triche driving to the basket, a good outside shooter in James Southerland and a couple of centers who didn’t score in Rakeem Christmas and Baye Moussa Kieta. That team even had Trevor Cooney!

Pat called in saying he was the only one who predicted we would win at Duke. He has a problem with callers who want to see us play some man-to-man when playing zone for 40 minutes is the “identity of the program…When we make adjustments, we make adjustments within the zone.” JB: “All the time. Teams that play man to man spend an hour and a quarter on man to man each practice to get good at it. The rest of practice is on the offense. Man to man coaches who want to play zone spend 10-15 minutes on it. Zone coaches would have to spend a full hour to get become just OK on man-to-man. You’d need 3 ½ hour practices. With 6-7 guys, we don’t have the energy for that. But if you lose, the talk shows say to play man for man. If we played man for man they’d say to play zone. If Duke had played zone we’d have
beaten them by 10-15 points. If we’d played man for man, Duke would have beaten us by 10-15 points. Coaches like Bill Self teach a great man to man. If he has to make adjustments, he makes it within his man to man because that’s their defense. We don’t play zone all the time because I’m stubborn. We play it’s because it’s our best defense. As we play good teams we’re getting better at it. We won more Big East games and went to more finals than anyone. We’re a good tournament team and have a good winning percentage in the NCAAs. If you like man to man, you’re not going to like us.”

“Virginia’s defense is tough. Last year they double-teamed Rak. They’ve had one home loss in three years. That was at home to Duke on almost second shot that went out and back in again. They aren’t quite as good this year. They lost 2 great players. They are very strong and play great defense.”

I called in my second question about the state of the game. JB: “We still have a game people love. (Back in 1965-66) we were one of the highest scoring teams. We had a great offensive team and pressed all the time. But most teams were scoring 70 points a game, just like they do now. There’s been a change in coaching philosophies with an emphasis on defense. It takes time to get good shots off. Many of our points against Duke came on throw-ins or offensive rebounds. In Divisions 2 and 3 you see teams scoring 100 points a game but at this level, defense is the priority. If we had a 24 second clock, we’d get another 5-6 possessions. (I don’t know if he meant Syracuse would get 5-6 more possessions or that there would be 5-6 more possessions combined) But I don’t think we’ll get that, There’s no appetite for it.”

I pressed him on the subject of the fast break and two point jumpers. “It’s hard to fast-break. Teams get back on defense. We emphasize getting back on defense.” (I’d love to have the fast-break points numbers for the Sherman Douglas teams.) “If a player is within a foot of the three point line, any coach will say he should be beyond the line. A 15 footer might be OK. Lawrence Moten would till take the 15 footer today but he could make threes, too.” Moten was 197 for 624, (5 a game out of 14 shots overall) from the arc in his career, 31.6 “In high school they are shooting threes or driving.” So what we have is basketball without the press, the fast break or the two point jump shot.

Gomez asked him what rule changes he’d still like to see. “It’s bad that coaches can’t call time outs any more- only players can. Players are concentrating on playing. They only call time outs when I shout at them to do so….All time outs should be 30 seconds.” (I’m in favor of that, since all commercials would have to be 30 seconds!) “When the referees have to look at the monitors, players should not be able to go back to the bench and get a free time out with their coach.”

Brad called to ask what Tyler Roberson was doing differently. JB: “We use him as a screener. When we do that, his man has to help. If he rolls hard, he can get to the ball. If he’s not aggressive enough, he’s pretty easy to block out. Tyler Lydon is similar. Virginia blocks out on rebounds and he’ll have to work harder to get to the ball. Wake Forest and Duke don’t block out so he was able to get to the ball. He doesn’t work hard enough when he’s blocked out. But he’s getting stronger and giving a more concerted effort.”

Tyler “looks good on those 12 foot shots”. JB: “We chart these things and he shoots about 20% from there. He thinks he can make it. He also thinks he can make free throws but he can’t do that, either. He’s not there yet. He would be a great player if he could make the 15 footer. It would set up his drives. He works 15-20 minutes with Adrian Autry in practice. He makes them there but he has a chance to get a rhythm going. You can’t do that in games.” I got the impression that JB was not being dismissive of Tyler’s recent accomplishments but believes his potential is even greater than that and he wants to push him to be great. The results should be interesting.

SWC was it a typo when JB said Richardson was only 6'4 or did he say it? I thought he was supposed to be 6'6. Of course that could be inaccurate, like listed heights often are, and coach spoke the truth.

SWC was it a typo when JB said Richardson was only 6'4 or did he say it? I thought he was supposed to be 6'6. Of course that could be inaccurate, like listed heights often are, and coach spoke the truth.

He did say 6-4. I had the same reaction as you. But "length" is more important than height, (you don't hold the ball in your teeth), and talent is more important than either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom