The Jim Boeheim Show- after Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- after Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, congratulations on finally getting a victory over a ranked team after several near misses. It seems to me that Rakeem Christmas and Michael Gbinije might be the two most improved players in the country. I am concerned about Rakeem’s struggles against Jahlil Okafor. Okafor is quite a player but he has the size and mobility of an NBA center, the sort Rakeem would go up against every night on the next level. Can Rakeem play center in the NBA? Does he have the shooting ability to be an NBA forward?”

Second hour:

“Coach, I tend to assume that it’s a good sign when an outside shooter hits his first shot. You’d think that would give him confidence and he’d be on his way to a good shooting night. Against Virginia Tech, Trevor Cooney hit a three ten seconds into the game, then missed 10 of 11 the rest of the game. Against Pittsburgh Trevor his a three a minute and 7 seconds in, then missed 6 in a row. Against Boston College he made a three pointer seven seconds in and was 2 for 7 after that. Against Duke he hit his first three shots, two of them 3 pointers, then missed 10 shots in a row. Last night he made a three 32 seconds in and was 0 for 9 in the last 39 minutes and 28 seconds. Have you ever seen a pattern like this? Why does hitting the first shot mean so little in Trevor’s case?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Matt praised the people who live in Syracuse and drive through snowstorms to get to games. “Sometimes they wonder why they live here. They live for Syracuse basketball.” JB: “I live here for Syracuse basketball. The last few winters have been pretty good. We were due. It’s still early- it’s February.”

Dave in Syracuse said that each time he drives through a storm to get to the game, he asks himself why he does this. “And the game always is the answer.” He praised the team for playing “every game like a tournament game”. JB said that “you get to see everything when you come to the game. You miss stuff on TV. We’ve had some tough, exciting, great games, even when we didn’t win.”

About the Louisville game: “It was a good win. Louisville beat Pitt twice and Ohio State. They are a pretty good team. They’ve shot and played better on the road than at home this seasons. That’s why it was such a good win… We’ve played pretty well vs. ranked teams but our defense hasn’t been good enough in the second half. The teams that beat us shot 60% in the second half.” Matt noted that we turned that around in this game- we shot 58% in the second half to 32%. JB: “We got some easy shots that allowed us a high percentage. “

I called in my question about Rakeem playing in the pros. JB: “He can be a power forward. A lot of power forwards in the NBA don’t shoot a lot. Rak can rebound and play defense and run the court. He won’t score as much in the NBA. It wasn’t just Okafor- he missed some shots against Plumlee, too. He had 11 rebounds, 5 blocked shots and 5 assists. If he makes 3-4 more shots he’s got a great game. (He had 6 rebounds against Duke. The 11 was the number of points.) it was one of those games when the shots went in and out. Duke used a lot of help double teams. It wasn’t just him one on one with Okafor”

Liam, in Pompey called to ask about Trevor Cooney and to say that Kaleb Joseph “should be good in coming years”. Jim said “Kaleb did a good job in second half. His main problems have bene on defense. He got into the lane and made some big plays. He’s better on the pull-up than the outside jumper or going sideways.” Later Jeff in Watertown praised Kaleb Joseph for penetrating early in the shot clock and for singing those baseline shots. JB: “That’s his shot. A good play for him.. He took a 3 with 10-12 seconds left on the shot clock but made up for it with that drive….Kaleb made quite a difference in the second half.”

Regarding Cooney: “There’s a difference between playing well and shooting well.” (Not for a shooting guard.) “He’s a key guy. You don’t always know exactly why things happen. When the lane area is open, it’s usually because they are guarding Trevor….Ronnie Patterson made some good plays and some bad ones. But it’s hard to be out there when you can’t score.

Later I called in my question about Cooney with all the stats on his early good shots and his bad performance after that. JB agreed with me that if a shooter makes his first shot that should be a good sign. “I try not to dwell on it. I’m taking him out and I don’t want him to stop shooting. A few of his shots were off balance. A few were a couple of feet beyond the line. But his first one was three feet back. I want him to keep looking for his shot and pull people to him.” I joked that maybe Trevor will warm up when the weather does. JB: “It will warm up. I’m just not sure when. I mean the weather.”

A later caller felt that the criticism of Cooney was ”ridiculous. When he missed he stinks. When he makes shots he’s the greatest guy ever.” He wanted to know if the players ever read the Syracuse.com forum. JB: “I hope not. I don’t read the blogs but get reports on them. ” if you report on this post, tell JB how much I admire him. And Julie is a nice lady, too.

This caller, (didn’t get the name), suggested Trevor would be better with a few minutes rest, which could be obtained if Gbinije, BI and Kaleb were in the line-up. “I realize you don’t want Kaleb and Patterson on the court at the same time.” JB: “That leaves us with one guy who can shoot the 3. BJ isn’t playing that well. BC was letting him shoot so they could double Rak. We’d play him more but they know he can shoot so they’ll guard him. If Ronnie could shoot, he’d be a good player. ”

“Teams switch to a zone when Trevor leaves the game. TV time outs are 2 ½ minutes now. That’s enough. If you play 35 minutes, playing 40 isn’t going to matter. And if you take him out that might be the minute he has an open 3. If a player gets pulled out it’s probably due to defense. He has to take his responsibility in guarding an area. We can’t afford to give up open looks. We’ve had a lot of 40 minute players in recent weeks. “It’s a lot of minutes but we have time outs. Duke had Jones and Cook playing 40+ minutes against North Carolina. Cooney was not going to be tied in the first half. Mike is playing the whole game. Against Virginia Tech he scored the last 7 points. Rak has been great at the end of games Good players don’t want to come out. “

Michael Gbinije “is being selective in his shots. He’s playing relay solid basketball. If you look at the total picture he rebounds, he plays defense and he’s making plays at a very high level. He’s as good an all-around player as there is in the league, maybe the country… I’d have to really think about it to determine how many guys we’ve asked to play both guard and forward. He’s a complete, all-around player. ” Matt suggested Wes Johnson but “he didn’t handle the ball. Paul Harris did a lot of things but he wasn’t as good with the ball and couldn’t shoot it well.”

Matt noted that his scoring is up by 5 points a game in league play over the pre-conference season, (it’s up 9.7 points from last year: Rak is up 12.4 points). “That’s very rare. They usually drop back”. Matt said we’ve got 3 of the top 7 scorers in the league. (it helps to play 40 minutes). JB: “We’re getting enough scoring. Defense is our problem. We’ve not been able to get key stops against the good teams…I’m happy with how our offense has progressed. Our defense was good when we had Chris McCullough. He was averaging two blocked shots a game as a freshman. Our defense has struggled since then. We’re probably in the middle of the league- maybe the upper middle“ Matt looked it up- we’re 6th in point surrendered, “The definition of the upper middle of a 14 team league.” He suggested that “defense still wins championships.” (if you can make it to the post-season.)

Tom in Mohawk asked about the Noon start time on Saturday. How much of difference will that make? JB: “I like afternoon games, around 2 or 4. It’s kind of good to give it done early and do other things. If we’re on the road, we get home earlier. I’m the only one who doesn’t like Noon. I don’t like getting up early. The players work out in the morning all year long. They practice at 11Am and 2PM on Sundays. It’s not a big difference. It’s all television.”

Pat called, promising “no visual aids- I got harassed for that.” (Could he be referring to my suggestion he wanted to take over the team when JB retires?) He asked why we weren’t going to play in the ACC tourney- we played in the Big East tourney when on probation back in 1993. “There’s a conference rule about that. They don’t want us knocking another team out of the tournament or taking their automatic bid. Most conferences have a rule like that when you are not eligible for the post season.”

Pat also didn’t think the home court advantage meant as much when you are favored. Matt said we’d been an 8 point underdog to Louisville. JB was surprised. “We’re usually favored against everybody. Most good teams are favorites at home.” Matt said that JB “doesn’t put a lot of stock in the psychology of home teams. JB: “Travel is easier with charter planes . Some systems work better on the road.” (?) “The only origin al Big East school to finish with a winning conference road record was Syracuse. Georgetown and Connecticut couldn‘t do it. We won 61%, which is not just squeaking by. Just go play and ignore the noise.” Matt looked it up and two ACC teams have a better record at home than on the road- 1st place Virginia and last place Boston College. Of course Virginia has just one loss- at home to Duke.

Matt suggested that “going to South bend will feel a little different this year.” JB: “It’s always a tough place to play. Notre Dame is really good. They can score form all five positons. Grant does it all. They will win 30 games this year.” Matt went over Jerian Grant’s ranking in virtually all the ACC player statistics. It was high in almost every case. ”And he’s a good defender who makes all kinds of plays to win games.” It will be interesting to see him and Gbinije on the same court. Both are fine all-around players.

DaJuan Coleman “shows signs every day in practice with pull-up jumpers, he dunked and finished 5-6 times. If healthy, he can make a definite contribution. We hope he’s going to be healthy. Very few people can work hard and rehab for 2 years. It’s a lot to ask. Most are tired of it after 1 month. He can shoot, pass and make moves to the basket. He’s a tremendous offensive talent. I hope he can come back and be healthy.” I find this confusing: he’s shooting and dunking in practice but Jim seems unsure that he’ll ever be healthy enough to play. In past shows he said that DC’s problem is his ability to run the court. But if he can dunk….

Louie and Bouie powered the way for 100 wins in Jim’s first four years, which was a record. “We didn’t play that many games back then, 118 in four years. Now it would be around 130. They were classy guys, great kids. I never had to speak with them. They both came ready to practice every day. “ Matt noted that Rosey had a great career overseas and that a lot of SU players had gone the same route since. They mentioned Preston Shumpert, Adrian Autry, Andy Rautins, Kris Joseph and Darryl Watkins but there have bene many others. Arinze Onuaku is averaging 20/10 in the “D” league and Jim doesn’t understand why he hasn’t been called up.

They talked about Arinze’ brother Chinanu Onuaku who played for Louisville. “We were aware of him, although his family didn’t come up here much. We didn’t want to take someone we knew wouldn’t play. We had Christmas, Coleman, McCullough, Roberson and grant. We would love to have had him the way things worked out. We also turned down a couple of guards we wish we had now. Some of it you can kind of see coming. You can’t get good players at the end of a year. We’ve turned down some McDonald’s All-Americas. Sometimes it worked out well. Sometimes it didn’t. “ When I called in my second question I joked that it’s hard to get used to Matt saying that Ennis, Onuaku or Grant did something good, that was bad for SU. JB laughed and said that the brothers we wound up with were pretty good and he’s satisfied with them.

They talked about the back end of the schedule being “as hard as it could possibly be. The schedule doesn’t have to be this dramatic. Spread it out. We needed to play somebody early, although Georgia Tech is beating people and Wake Forest is playing tough. We’d be in great shape if we’d won a couple more games, (I think he meant UNC, Pitt or Duke- not sure which). We’d have guaranteed a winning record in the conference. You just have to keep working and playing hard.” Matt said we might have had a “tournament resume” even if we couldn’t go. “If anything we’re playing at a higher level since the decision was made.”

They will have two more shows - on the next two Thursdays.

Last edited:
Some people aren't going to be very happy with JB's comments about Cooney.

Joe Torre, a HOF baseball manager, MVP as a player, and generally well-respected mind of the game was so bad at managing the bullpen and relying on some players who weren't that great that the general manager of the Yankees had to trade the players in order to keep Torre from trotting them out on the diamond every day.

No one is perfect.

"But if he can dunk…."

I'd wager that running up and down a court for 30 minutes is a lot more stress on the knee than a 6'9.5" guy jumping up slightly and dunking. Moreso when he can land on his good leg first to absorb the majority of the stress.

JB said someone reports to him about the forums! So, do we have a mole? Who is it? Why, it could be anyone! (little gasp) It could even be me!

How would the mole summarize the commentary on this forum? That would be quite the challenge, yessiree, and probably a bit of fun as well (see thread on what is slower than the NCAA). Do you think the mole is paid? Is it a part-time job or full-time? Benefits?

I feel sorry for the person who has to summarize the content of the syracuse.com comments. That stuff is vile! They should be paid time and a half. And if they weren't sick before they began reading those comments, they will need electroshock therapy after spending more than a day there.

Good write up, SWC! He answered the Cooney question. That kid will play 40 minutes for the rest of the season.

th

JB said someone reports to him about the forums! So, do we have a mole? Who is it? Why, it could be anyone! (little gasp) It could even be me!

How would the mole summarize the commentary on this forum? That would be quite the challenge, yessiree, and probably a bit of fun as well (see thread on what is slower than the NCAA). Do you think the mole is paid? Is it a part-time job or full-time? Benefits?

I feel sorry for the person who has to summarize the content of the syracuse.com comments. That stuff is vile! They should be paid time and a half. And if they weren't sick before they began reading those comments, they will need electroshock therapy after spending more than a day there.

Good write up, SWC! He answered the Cooney question. That kid will play 40 minutes for the rest of the season.

th

Maybe its one of his kids.

Imagine that. People being unhappy with JB's comments. :eek::confused:

But they won't be surprised. He's been explaining why Cooney has to be out there all year. That's why my question was about why Cooney makes his first and then can't find the basket, (even before he would be tired). He never really answered that, indicating it vexes him as much as it does us.

th

mbdmido_ec005_h.jpg

If the mole were instructed to limit himself to the comments worth listening to, the Syracuse.com summary wouldn't take very long.

"They talked about the back end of the schedule being “as hard as it could possibly be. The schedule doesn’t have to be this dramatic. Spread it out."

I always thought that the BE schedule was back loaded and now the ACC one seems even worse. In the BE even when there was more less round robin play, the good teams always played each other the 2nd half of the season. I can only assume that the league did it for TV purposes. I agree that it is stupid, that it should be spread out. SU played VT twice, a month apart. But Duke and Pitt only 2 weeks. I think there have been times when Duke and UNC played each other only 7 to 10 days apart.

I would be interested which McD AA's JB "turned down". Even which guards. He says its hard to get good kids at the end of the year. What about JC transfers. Even if they end up being 11th or 12th man on a good team, they are there only 2 years and if the roster gets to 8, they could help.

"They talked about the back end of the schedule being “as hard as it could possibly be. The schedule doesn’t have to be this dramatic. Spread it out."

I always thought that the BE schedule was back loaded and now the ACC one seems even worse. In the BE even when there was more less round robin play, the good teams always played each other the 2nd half of the season. I can only assume that the league did it for TV purposes. I agree that it is stupid, that it should be spread out. SU played VT twice, a month apart. But Duke and Pitt only 2 weeks. I think there have been times when Duke and UNC played each other only 7 to 10 days apart.

I would be interested which McD AA's JB "turned down". Even which guards. He says its hard to get good kids at the end of the year. What about JC transfers. Even if they end up being 11th or 12th man on a good team, they are there only 2 years and if the roster gets to 8, they could help.

Well, for guards we have a pretty good idea. The Jordan kid from St. John's and Morris from Iowa State two years ago in favor of Ennis, the kid [Newton] at Miami last year in favor of Joseph.

Part of the problem is that the explanation given is just a bit unclear. Of course, I'm going by the transcription and not the live response. But anyway, he says that if you take Cooney out, they'll zone us because we only have one 3-point shooter out there (Gbinije). I agree that you can't really play Kaleb and Patterson for any length of time together. But then he goes on to say that BC had to guard BJ when he was out there because he can shoot the three. That would suggest that we could get by with Cooney on the bench for a bit if Gbinije shifts to guard and BJ plays SF. Likewise BJ could give Gbinije a breather. This line of thinking, though, is not pursued to its end---at least not live on air.

It's obvious he's thought quite a bit about this problem, though, regardless of his response. Mere speculation on my part but, based on some of the other comments he made, I think if he could trust BJ to cover the wing on defense, Cooney would be sitting more. This decision isn't exactly based on a comprehensive risk-benefit analysis. I mean, if you tabulated all the run-outs from Cooney's ill-advised threes, it would probably make up for any shortfalls on the defensive end that BJ might have. And he could hardly be worse on offense than Cooney has been. Nevertheless, his comments reveal some acknowledgement of the problem we're facing. I don't entirely agree with the handling of it but whatever.

Imagine that. People being unhappy with JB's comments. :eek::confused:

But they won't be surprised. He's been explaining why Cooney has to be out there all year. That's why my question was about why Cooney makes his first and then can't find the basket, (even before he would be tired). He never really answered that, indicating it vexes him as much as it does us.

I think he didn't answer it because it's not really a question that has an answer. Cooney aimed for the middle of the hoop but the ball didn't go in the middle of the hoop would probably be the only answer.

I'm just gearing up for the onslaught of threads from Rain Man.

Apparently the topic of punting has been thoroughly exhausted and he has migrated over here in search of a new topic to beat to death...

Well, for guards we have a pretty good idea. The Jordan kid from St. John's and Morris from Iowa State two years ago in favor of Ennis, the kid [Newton] at Miami last year in favor of Joseph.
And Whitehead. I'm sure Isiah would have rather played at Syracuse, but he came with way too much baggage (which has become awfully visible this season.

Part of the problem is that the explanation given is just a bit unclear. Of course, I'm going by the transcription and not the live response. But anyway, he says that if you take Cooney out, they'll zone us because we only have one 3-point shooter out there (Gbinije). I agree that you can't really play Kaleb and Patterson for any length of time together. But then he goes on to say that BC had to guard BJ when he was out there because he can shoot the three. That would suggest that we could get by with Cooney on the bench for a bit if Gbinije shifts to guard and BJ plays SF. Likewise BJ could give Gbinije a breather. This line of thinking, though, is not pursued to its end---at least not live on air.

It's obvious he's thought quite a bit about this problem, though, regardless of his response. Mere speculation on my part but, based on some of the other comments he made, I think if he could trust BJ to cover the wing on defense, Cooney would be sitting more. This decision isn't exactly based on a comprehensive risk-benefit analysis. I mean, if you tabulated all the run-outs from Cooney's ill-advised threes, it would probably make up for any shortfalls on the defensive end that BJ might have. And he could hardly be worse on offense than Cooney has been. Nevertheless, his comments reveal some acknowledgement of the problem we're facing. I don't entirely agree with the handling of it but whatever.

That would be true if BJ could be counted upon to produce. But he can't, which is why he hasn't garnered any consistent playing time this season.

A LOT of the team's issues would be solved if either BJ or Patterson could connect on even just 33% of their shots from three point range, just to provide a reasonably consistent threat. BJ also has a little upside as a rebounder, and we have frontcourt limitations, so if he could score a bit he'd kill two birds with one stone. However, it is pretty telling that despite the team's lack of frontcourt depth, he hasn't played much. And also that he hasn't been able to produce against any team in conference other than BC, the last place team.

Nobody on this forum is a bigger BJ proponent than I am / was, BTW--I'll own that. So I'm not trashing the kid. But he'd be playing if JB trusted that he could produce. JB obviously doesn't, so BJ doesn't.

It would be interesting to get JB's take on the back loaded schedule. It's happened 2 consecutive years. Is it just random or should we expect it every year because it fills a need (TV?) for the ACC?

Matt Park said Syracuse was an 8-point underdog vs. Louisville? SU was a 2.5 point underdog.

Maybe he got Louisville mixed up with Duke. That spread was close to 8.

If not, someone please introduce me to Matt Park's bookie.

He might have said Duke. My scribbled notes simply say "surprising to be 8 point underdog". I think I assumed it to be Louisville as they were the most recent game.

It would be interesting to get JB's take on the back loaded schedule. It's happened 2 consecutive years. Is it just random or should we expect it every year because it fills a need (TV?) for the ACC?

Well, we know he doesn't like it. ;)

JB: “We’re getting enough scoring. Defense is our problem. We’ve not been able to get key stops against the good teams…I’m happy with how our offense has progressed."

I wouldn't have thought that even possible after the first month of the season. And that was before CMac went down, and before BJ and Ronnie were written off as consistent shooters. It really is an amazing accomplishment to have found an offensive approach with this team to keep them competitive. Of course Rak has been heroic, and G has stepped up, but beyond that I think the development of KJ and Tyler are the most impressive things to this season. Throw in Chinoso logging 5 functional minutes against Louisville, and this has been a great, great coaching job to develop this crew by the staff. My hats off.

That would be true if BJ could be counted upon to produce. But he can't, which is why he hasn't garnered any consistent playing time this season.

A LOT of the team's issues would be solved if either BJ or Patterson could connect on even just 33% of their shots from three point range, just to provide a reasonably consistent threat. BJ also has a little upside as a rebounder, and we have frontcourt limitations, so if he could score a bit he'd kill two birds with one stone. However, it is pretty telling that despite the team's lack of frontcourt depth, he hasn't played much. And also that he hasn't been able to produce against any team in conference other than BC, the last place team.

Nobody on this forum is a bigger BJ proponent than I am / was, BTW--I'll own that. So I'm not trashing the kid. But he'd be playing if JB trusted that he could produce. JB obviously doesn't, so BJ doesn't.

And Cooney can be counted upon to produce? To connect on even just 33% of his shots from three point range? If it's about keeping your defender busy on the perimeter, BJ can do that too. The only explanation that makes any sense is BJ's defense isn't good enough to warrant more playing time but as I said having Cooney's long rebounds lead to fast break buckets nullifies any defensive "upgrade" he might provide up top over what BJ can give on the wing.

Good writeup as always. My follow-on question to the Duke double teaming Rak comment would have been will we see more dump downs from Rak to Roberson like the one that resulted in the flush for Tyler against Louisville? That would certainly stop Duke from double teaming so often. I hope Rak sees that and takes advantage.

And Cooney can be counted upon to produce? To connect on even just 33% of his shots from three point range? If it's about keeping your defender busy on the perimeter, BJ can do that too. The only explanation that makes any sense is BJ's defense isn't good enough to warrant more playing time but as I said having Cooney's long rebounds lead to fast break buckets nullifies any defensive "upgrade" he might provide up top over what BJ can give on the wing.

Before these recent games that have dropped his percentage, he was at least in the high 30's shooting threes. He also shot 37% last year. So he has proven it against competition despite the recent slump. BJ and Ron have proven they can make threes against BC and Carleton.

Even shooting close to .300, Cooney is averaging close to 16 ppg in the ACC with 3 games in the 20's and 18 twice, So I think by trusting him, he means scoring more than often enough from the arc to keep defenders occupied. BJ isn't there yet. HIs explosion in the BC game was more rare than consistent. If you remember the commentators saying that BC was giving Roberson all the shots he wanted from 12. Same with BJ If BJ hit better than .227 from the arc, then he would play more. With his defensive liabilities, that is not enough.

Yes, he can. Don't get sucked into single game variability, or make the mistake of making an attribution about when a player plays their best or worst. Here are his career statistics:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56997/trevor-cooney

Please note that Cooney has DROPPED to 33.3% after a couple of really bad volume shooting performances.

Regardless, it is a losing argument to suggest that BJ's offensive capabilities are anywhere near Cooney's at this stage of his developmental curve. Cooney being a two year starter who statistically IS above 33% from three the past two seasons, and a double figure scorer. How many times has BJ scored in double figures this year?

Re: your point about long rebounds, this point about Cooney's misses allegedly leading to fast breaks is being overstated. We do a poor job of getting back defensively--that isn't just on Cooney, generally that responsibility is assigned to the point guard, to avoid run outs on long rebounds. Not on who misses shots.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom