The Jim Boeheim Show- after Louisville | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- after Louisville

Yes, he can. Don't get sucked into single game variability, or make the mistake of making an attribution about when a player plays their best or worst.

Frankly, it is a losing argument to suggest that BJ's offensive capabilities are anywhere near Cooney's at this stage of his developmental curve. Cooney being a two year starter who statistically IS above 33% from three the past two seasons, and a double figure scorer. How many times has BJ scored in double figures this year?

I see your point about long rebounds. I'd like to see data on that instead of colloquail theories on stuff that may or may not actually be happening.

There is no way BJ can play for long periods of time. I'm happy to concede that. I'm rooting like he!! for BJ, though.

Cooney has to play serious minutes (I don't think 40 is good, however).

I think the concern is Cooney's downward trend of shooting percentage during conference games this year and last year (was and is below 31% for both years as of now and under 30% for his career in conference). Like you said, overall, he is at 34% for his career from three and at 33% this year.

I said this in another thread, next year if Cooney can get a 3-4 minute blow per half and cut down on his shots by 2-3 (assuming pace stays the same), I think he can actually score more points per game. Higher percentage going in and getting to the FT line more would help that.

I think there is a lineup without Cooney that is fine to use for 5-6 minutes per game, maybe a little more. If people don't agree with that, that is fine. I just think asking TC to run around, play competent defense, shoot a high volume for 40 minutes is not setting him up for success.

I've complained that he makes bad decisions. I stand by that. But I think the fatigue he experiences amplifies that by quite a bit.

Fly Rodder said:
"But if he can dunk…." I'd wager that running up and down a court for 30 minutes is a lot more stress on the knee than a 6'9.5" guy jumping up slightly and dunking. Moreso when he can land on his good leg first to absorb the majority of the stress.

I can dunk a basketball, I cannot run back and forth on a regulation court at 75% speed twice if I wanted. I'm sure Coleman is working hard but it is going to be a struggle for him (or anybody in this world) to come back from so much time off, not even including the injuries.

two3zone said:
I can dunk a basketball, I cannot run back and forth on a regulation court at 75% speed twice if I wanted. I'm sure Coleman is working hard but it is going to be a struggle for him (or anybody in this world) to come back from so much time off, not even including the injuries.
Billy celuck?

The majority of people cirticising Cooney and his use aren't the ones calling for him to transfer or to sit. That's a very small, but occasionally vocal, minority. The criticism is that Cooney isn't scoring efficiently enough to justify him getting the permanent green light and taking 9-10 3PAs a game and that Syracuse isn't going to fall apart if he were to sit for a few minutes and relax a bit, or at least get the red light, before trying to win every game by hitting the next basket. He's not that talented. Go head give him a few minutes off and run BJ, Kaleb, and Buss out there. The team can still score off a dribble drive or pick and roll and Kaleb is money in the bank from 15 ft for whatever reason. And throw a limit on BJ, tell him he gets two missed 3PA before he sits again so make them count, make one and earn one more.

They have nothing to lose. And for everyone who has said that that players can't develop during the season by playing minutes, well Roberson sure as heck looks better now than he did in November.

AZOrange said:
Billy celuck?

If I was Billy Celucks height be in the NBA. Lmao. Wish I was only 6 inches taller haha

OTHER TOPICS

Gomez is on vacation in Florida. JB: “He can’t handle a little snow.”

They talked about the UNC-Duke game. “North Carolina stopped double-teaming Okafor and Duke’s guards took over the game. UNC had the game won. Their inside game was unstoppable. They had 2-3 turnovers, one on a long pass and missed 2-3 free throws, one by a 96% guy.”

Kentucky: “I think they’re going to get through it (the regular season and SEC tournament) to the NCAAs. But they are beatable. They are defensively tremendous but offensively limited. “ After discussing how the tournament produces upsets every year and who might do it this year Jim joked “Oh my God, they’ll let anybody in the tournament.”

They discussed the growing trend of 5th year transfers- and the growing scouting for potential transfers. “It’s a whole new can of worms. I never thought it was a good idea. A program builds a guy. They are supposedly looking for an academic opportunity. None of them have gotten Masters degrees. They are leaving for athletic reasons, not academic.” Matt bought up Greg Paulus. “Paulus wasn’t playing football”. Of course we also got Drew Allen who came here to take a course Oklahoma didn’t have, then, when Bud Poliquin asked him what it was, he had to look it up. Eastern Washington quarterback Vernon Adams is transferring to Oregon, where their first opponent will be: Eastern Washington.

The Orange women were torrid from outside and were up 33-13 on Boston College, (they won 73-51). “They shoot a ton of threes and when they are hot they are a problem for anybody. “

The MCW/Ennis trades were “a shocker”. (Jim used that phrase several times.) He was asked what Philadelphia was thinking and replied “I have no idea.” Regarding Ennis he thought “Phoenix wasn’t going to trade him. They had 4 point guards. Now they’ve got one. “Matt reminded him that they got Brandon Knight in a trade. “They’ve got a couple of guys at the two. It’s hard to know what they are doing. The problem with having too many guys is that your best player gets upset.” Regarding the Sixers, “Not many players can help your team right away. They have to feel that he’s not the answer for them. He’s not shooting well from the three. He needs to shoot 35% from three. That changes everything. Ennis is going to a team where he’ll get to play at point guard and learn from one of the great point guards ever, one who got better as a shooter.“

Re: Carmelo Anthony, “There was no point in his playing any more this year. Even with him playing they can’t win. He’ll start his rehab two months earlier. He’ll be 100% by training camp. He’ll try to recruit other players to the Knicks. They will have the money for 1-2 pretty good players. They could get Okafor.” Matt referred to when the Knicks got Patrick Ewing. How did Okafor compare to him? “He’s pretty good on offense. Ewing was a monster on defense.”

Matt had seen Stefan Marbury on HBO’s Real Sports. He’s become a big star in China and “not coming back”. Matt said he was “the best ever player at Camp Boeheim”. He was referring to the summer basketball camp Jim runs. “He was always a good kid. He got caught up in a bunch of stuff. People around him didn’t help him. There’s been a lot of great New York City point guards. I’d put him at the top of the list. He put on a great show. “

Tiger Woods “should get away and get comfortable. He’s not sure where the ball is going. If you are missing one way it can be corrected. He doesn’t know whether it’s going right or left. He can’t chip onto the green. He used to have the greatest short game in the world. He over-thinks it too much. He has to get healthy and get his swing back. Then he needs to play in 4-5 straight tournaments before he tries another major. You’re not going to win majors if you haven’t played. “

Matt said he enjoyed seeing master’s commercials because it reminded him of green grass. Jim: “Not in February. It’s too early….we survived another night without Gomez.”

“The only original Big East school to finish with a winning conference road record was Syracuse. Georgetown and Connecticut couldn‘t do it"

That is pretty special in my mind.

[/QUOTE] Dave in Syracuse said that each time he drives through a storm to get to the game, he asks himself why he does this. “And the game always is the answer.” He praised the team for playing “every game like a tournament game”. JB said that “you get to see everything when you come to the game. You miss stuff on TV. We’ve had some tough, exciting, great games, even when we didn’t win.”

About the Louisville game: “It was a good win. Louisville beat Pitt twice and Ohio State. They are a pretty good team. They’ve shot and played better on the road than at home this seasons. That’s why it was such a good win… We’ve played pretty well vs. ranked teams but our defense hasn’t been good enough in the second half. The te defense. He got into the lane and made some big plays. He’s better on the pull-up than the outside jumper or going sideways.” Later Jeff in Watertown praised Kaleb Joseph for penetrating early in the shot clock and for singing those baseline shots. JB: “That’s his shot. A good play for him.. He took a 3 with 10-12 seconds left on the shot clock but made up for it with that drive….Kaleb made quite a difference in the second half.”h Georgia Tech is beating people and Wake Forest is playing tough. We’d be in great shape if we’d won a couple more games, (I think he meant UNC, Pitt or Duke- not sure which). We’d have guaranteed a winning record in the conference. You just have to keep working and playing hard.” Matt said we might have had a “tournament resume” even if we couldn’t go. “If anything we’re playing at a higher level since the decision was made.”

They will have two more shows - on the next two Thursdays.[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom