The Jim Boeheim Show (after Montana State) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (after Montana State)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(Some years they have started out just with an hour show and later shifted to a two hour show. I came up with two questions and sent in the first, which is the question I always like to begin the year with. If it’s a two hour show, I’ll ask the second in the second hour.)

Apparently they are going to have a Jim Boeheim Show during his suspension. I avoided any questions about the games being played during the suspension.

First hour:

“Coach, DaJuan Coleman and Chinoso Obokoh just had their best combined game against Montana State. What is their ‘upside’? How good can they become and what do you expect to see from them in the ACC season? “

Second hour: (if they have one):

“Coach, I was looking at a list of Syracuse football players who have played in the Super Bowl. There have been 28 of them. I decided to see how many Syracuse basketball players have played in the NBA Finals. There have been two: Our former police chief, Dennis DuVal, who played 14 minutes in the 1975 finals as his Bullets were swept by the Warriors, scoring 7 points with 3 rebounds and 3 assists and Marty Byrnes, who played 8 minutes for the Lakers against the Sixers in 1980, scoring 6 points and getting a rebound and an assists.

With all the success we’ve had in basketball over the years, this is surprising. Is there some reason that our former players don’t wind up playing on teams good enough to play for the NBA title?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

(Note: due to the schedule and Holidays, there will be a show next week but it will be on Monday. After that, they will return to their regular Thursday nights.)

Coach was slightly late so Matt Park summarized the game against Montana state, praising DaJuan Coleman and Chinoso Obokoh for scoring 24 points and getting 10 rebounds in a combined 24 minutes of play. He also was impressed with Syracuse’ teamwork, getting 22 assists on 32 baskets, (actually Montana State had a higher percentage: 16 of 23). He said that Texas Southern was 1-9 despite being coached by Mike Davis, who once led Indiana to the Final Four and having a transfer named Derrick Griffin who, in 4 starts has 3 double doubles.

Jim had been delayed signing an autograph for a 2 year old, (and Daddy, no doubt) after singing for a 92 year old last week. “That’s quite an age range”.

Jim said it’s hard to watch TV and report on the game, just as it’s hard to analyze a game from the stands. “It’s hard to know what’s going on if you haven’t been at practice or in the locker room… We seem to be moving well on defense. We’ve not shot the ball well in a while. We’re going to have to make threes in the conference…. What happened against Montana State is misleading. It doesn’t tell you what’s going to happen against Pittsburgh…. We were active and do some good things. But we’re always going to work hard to get better… We’ve got two wins over teams that should be in the top 15 or 20 before the end of the year… We shot 50% from three in the Bahamas. We would have won the games we’ve lost if we kept doing that. We kept moving the ball and getting good shots… DaJuan is really a freshman at this stage and Tyler Lydon, Frank Howard and Mal Richardson are actually freshmen. Mike Gbinije has been good. Tyler Roberson has been too up and down. Trevor Cooney is not shooting well but he’s playing good defense.”

The first caller was “Mike” – no, not that Mike. That would make the NCAA mad. This was Mike from Tip Hill, who asked the annual question: what recruits got away that you wished had come to Syracuse. “Sam Perkins, Kenny Anderson, Stephan Marbury. We almost had Sam but North Carolina was a much bigger name in college basketball at the time. And we had Lazarus Sims who as a senior led us to the Final Four. I don’t know if Marbury as a freshman could have done that. And if we’d had him we couldn’t have recruit Jason Hart. And Marbury would have left early.”

I called in my question. First, I thanked the coach for not singing at his press conferences.

“You can’t go by Montana State because they had no interior defense. They didn’t even put up a fight. You could have had 14 points in that game. (Coach, I haven’t scored 14 points in my life- and none in this century.) DaJuan is very capable of scoring. The problem for both him and Chinoso is getting to where they need to be on defense. Tyler Lydon got to the corner for those blocks. DaJuan and Chinoso can’t get there. We won one of the best tourneys in the country with Tyler at center. Texas A&M was huge and Connecticut is big. Tyler averaged 15 points, 9 rebounds and 4 blocks in the three games, (I have him for 15.7/9.3/2.) He’s our best center. But we’d like to play him at forward. The better DaJuan and Chinoso play, the more we can play Tyler at forward. We’re hoping to see strides. Nobody knows the answer to your question but they are making progress and last night was a very good step forward. We need Tyler Roberson to be more consistent. We need continued good play in the backcourt. Franklin Howard played well and that’s a good sign, too.”

Liam in Pompey called a little alter than usual. He thought the Cornell game was ”a bit slow” in the first half but in the second he could see “the fight in the player’s eyes.” He thought that the Montana State games “was a good team win- we made enough shots.” JB: “It’s always good to win. We were active, aggressive… We let them get a few good shots in the second half and they made them… We didn’t get too many turnovers but those 9 blocks are like turnovers. They are the reason we got 18 fast break points… When we don’t shoot well but still get a comfortable win, it’s a great thing. We scored inside. 24 points in 24 minutes is great. Mike and Trevor shot 50%. Mal isn’t shooting the ball well. It doesn’t take a genius to see that. Frank made good passes. Kaleb has been active but isn’t making his threes, (2 for 10). Trevor and Mike have to make threes. They are exceptionally good defensive players and among the league leaders in steals. Guys have to make plays… We aren’t as aggressive picking up loose balls as we should be for us to be good. “ Matt said he’d read that a 91 year old woman who attended her first game, (that wouldn’t be the 92 year old woman who got JB’s autograph last week?), and the old lady said that the players were “just such nice boys”. JB: We can’t be nice going after loose balls”.

John called up and thanked JB for all his years of success here, saying he was proud to take his son to a game for the first time recently. Jim said he never gets tired of hearing things like that. He asked Jim how he “avoided the early season nay-sayer” and can we expect from Paschal Chukwu next year. Jim passed on the first question but noted that “We have the toughest schedule in the conference. We play the top 7 teams on the road. Pittsburgh, Miami, Duke, Virginia, Louisville, North Carolina and Florida State- those are top seven teams in the Big East (sic)”. Old habits are heard to break.

He said Chukwu was “A legit 7-2. There are not many players that big. He’s a really good athlete and shot blocker. He never comes out of practice. He’s there all day every day.” (When does he study?) “He will be a tremendous player for us next year.”

Matt wanted to acknowledge the death of John Mason, the official scorer at the Dome and at Manley before that, for 43 years- since 1972. He’d only missed two games over the years, scoring 800 games. The Montana State game was the second of those games and he died today. JB: he was a quiet guy who just did his job and went home.” Matt: “Your kind of guy, right coach?” They also discuss Sue, the custodian at the Dome who “talks to all the players and tells Trevor Cooney he’s got to uphold the honor of the Irish.”

The again discussed Dino Babers. JB: “It’s exciting to see a coach come in with a completely different philosophy. I hope everyone will get behind him. I’ve read some of these blogs that I’ve never seen before. You realize that these people must never go to the games.”

They talked about Tom Coughlin and Odell Beckham, Jr. “The Giants are actually pretty good but keep shooting themselves in the foot. Odell Beckham Jr. was out of control. He should have bene thrown out of the game. But that’s the referee’s job, not the coach’s. You’re trying to win a game.” I wonder what would happen if Jim had a hot-headed player who was shoving guys around or under-cutting them. Would he just leave him in the game because he’s trying to win?

Texas Southern has not had any home games yet. Their first 12 games are on the road. “They’ll get $80-90,000 for playing some of those games, several hundred thousand when they are done. That’s their athletic budget. Then they can still win their conference and got to the NCAAs. “

Pittsburgh “has one of their better teams”, (10-1). They have 2-3 seniors, a couple of juniors and two senior transfers. They were beating Gonzaga”, (37-35 at halftime before the game was called due to a slippery floor), “and lost to Purdue, who is a really good team”, (12-1, they beat Pitt 72-59). Miami is really, really good. Florida State is playing well. Virginia is really good. Louisville, Duke, North Carolina- it’s the best the league has been. “

Has the coach seen the new Star Wars movie? JB: “I’ve never seen Star Wars, believe it or not. I’ve seen parts of it on TV. I may go. Have the crowds thinned out yet?” The staff there in the Sinatra room had a bet on what was the last theatrical movie JB has seen. “I used to go to all of them”. (Except Star Wars, apparently.) “I can’t remember the last one I saw in a theater.” Matt said the staff voted for “Lincoln”. JB: “I saw that but I’ve seen some since. I like murder mysteries. I like shoot-em ups with killing and maiming.” (He doesn’t get enough of that on the court?) “Juli doesn’t like that. Now I mostly watch them in hotel rooms. It costs SU $8 but it gets my mind off the game.”

“It’s really important to get the useless information out of your head so you can concentrate on the important things.” (I’ve always thought it’s really important to get important things out of your head so you can concentrate on things you like.)

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(Some years they have started out just with an hour show and later shifted to a two hour show. I came up with two questions and sent in the first, which is the question I always like to begin the year with. If it’s a two hour show, I’ll ask the second in the second hour.)

Apparently they are going to have a Jim Boeheim Show during his suspension. I avoided any questions about the games being played during the suspension.

First hour:

“Coach, DaJuan Coleman and Chinoso Obokoh just had their best combined game against Montana State. What is their ‘upside’? How good can they become and what do you expect to see from them in the ACC season? “

Second hour: (if they have one):

“Coach, I was looking at a list of Syracuse football players who have played in the Super Bowl. There have been 28 of them. I decided to see how many Syracuse basketball players have played in the NBA Finals. There have been two: Our former police chief, Dennis DuVal, who played 14 minutes in the 1975 finals as his Bullets were swept by the Warriors, scoring 7 points with 3 rebounds and 3 assists and Marty Byrnes, who played 8 minutes for the Lakers against the Sixers in 1980, scoring 6 points and getting a rebound and an assists.

With all the success we’ve had in basketball over the years, this is surprising. Is there some reason that our former players don’t wind up playing on teams good enough to play for the NBA title?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

(Note: due to the schedule and Holidays, there will be a show next week but it will be on Monday. After that, they will return to their regular Thursday nights.)

Coach was slightly late so Matt Park summarized the game against Montana state, praising DaJuan Coleman and Chinoso Obokoh for scoring 24 points and getting 10 rebounds in a combined 24 minutes of play. He also was impressed with Syracuse’ teamwork, getting 22 assists on 32 baskets, (actually Montana State had a higher percentage: 16 of 23). He said that Texas Southern was 1-9 despite being coached by Mike Davis, who once led Indiana to the Final Four and having a transfer named Derrick Griffin who, in 4 starts has 3 double doubles.

Jim had been delayed signing an autograph for a 2 year old, (and Daddy, no doubt) after singing for a 92 year old last week. “That’s quite an age range”.

Jim said it’s hard to watch TV and report on the game, just as it’s hard to analyze a game from the stands. “It’s hard to know what’s going on if you haven’t been at practice or in the locker room… We seem to be moving well on defense. We’ve not shot the ball well in a while. We’re going to have to make threes in the conference…. What happened against Montana State is misleading. It doesn’t tell you what’s going to happen against Pittsburgh…. We were active and do some good things. But we’re always going to work hard to get better… We’ve got two wins over teams that should be in the top 15 or 20 before the end of the year… We shot 50% from three in the Bahamas. We would have won the games we’ve lost if we kept doing that. We kept moving the ball and getting good shots… DaJuan is really a freshman at this stage and Tyler Lydon, Frank Howard and Mal Richardson are actually freshmen. Mike Gbinije has been good. Tyler Roberson has been too up and down. Trevor Cooney is not shooting well but he’s playing good defense.”

The first caller was “Mike” – no, not that Mike. That would make the NCAA mad. This was Mike from Tip Hill, who asked the annual question: what recruits got away that you wished had come to Syracuse. “Sam Perkins, Kenny Anderson, Stephan Marbury. We almost had Sam but North Carolina was a much bigger name in college basketball at the time. And we had Lazarus Sims who as a senior led us to the Final Four. I don’t know if Marbury as a freshman could have done that. And if we’d had him we couldn’t have recruit Jason Hart. And Marbury would have left early.”

I called in my question. First, I thanked the coach for not singing at his press conferences.

“You can’t go by Montana State because they had no interior defense. They didn’t even put up a fight. You could have had 14 points in that game. (Coach, I haven’t scored 14 points in my life- and none in this century.) DaJuan is very capable of scoring. The problem for both him and Chinoso is getting to where they need to be on defense. Tyler Lydon got to the corner for those blocks. DaJuan and Chinoso can’t get there. We won one of the best tourneys in the country with Tyler at center. Texas A&M was huge and Connecticut is big. Tyler averaged 15 points, 9 rebounds and 4 blocks in the three games, (I have him for 15.7/9.3/2.) He’s our best center. But we’d like to play him at forward. The better DaJuan and Chinoso play, the more we can play Tyler at forward. We’re hoping to see strides. Nobody knows the answer to your question but they are making progress and last night was a very good step forward. We need Tyler Roberson to be more consistent. We need continued good play in the backcourt. Franklin Howard played well and that’s a good sign, too.”

Liam in Pompey called a little alter than usual. He thought the Cornell game was ”a bit slow” in the first half but in the second he could see “the fight in the player’s eyes.” He thought that the Montana State games “was a good team win- we made enough shots.” JB: “It’s always good to win. We were active, aggressive… We let them get a few good shots in the second half and they made them… We didn’t get too many turnovers but those 9 blocks are like turnovers. They are the reason we got 18 fast break points… When we don’t shoot well but still get a comfortable win, it’s a great thing. We scored inside. 24 points in 24 minutes is great. Mike and Trevor shot 50%. Mal isn’t shooting the ball well. It doesn’t take a genius to see that. Frank made good passes. Kaleb has been active but isn’t making his threes, (2 for 10). Trevor and Mike have to make threes. They are exceptionally good defensive players and among the league leaders in steals. Guys have to make plays… We aren’t as aggressive picking up loose balls as we should be for us to be good. “ Matt said he’d read that a 91 year old woman who attended her first game, (that wouldn’t be the 92 year old woman who got JB’s autograph last week?), and the old lady said that the players were “just such nice boys”. JB: We can’t be nice going after loose balls”.

John called up and thanked JB for all his years of success here, saying he was proud to take his son to a game for the first time recently. Jim said he never gets tired of hearing things like that. He asked Jim how he “avoided the early season nay-sayer” and can we expect from Paschal Chukwu next year. Jim passed on the first question but noted that “We have the toughest schedule in the conference. We play the top 7 teams on the road. Pittsburgh, Miami, Duke, Virginia, Louisville, North Carolina and Florida State- those are top seven teams in the Big East (sic)”. Old habits are heard to break.

He said Chukwu was “A legit 7-2. There are not many players that big. He’s a really good athlete and shot blocker. He never comes out of practice. He’s there all day every day.” (When does he study?) “He will be a tremendous player for us next year.”

Matt wanted to acknowledge the death of John Mason, the official scorer at the Dome and at Manley before that, for 43 years- since 1972. He’d only missed two games over the years, scoring 800 games. The Montana State game was the second of those games and he died today. JB: he was a quiet guy who just did his job and went home.” Matt: “Your kind of guy, right coach?” They also discuss Sue, the custodian at the Dome who “talks to all the players and tells Trevor Cooney he’s got to uphold the honor of the Irish.”

The again discussed Dino Babers. JB: “It’s exciting to see a coach come in with a completely different philosophy. I hope everyone will get behind him. I’ve read some of these blogs that I’ve never seen before. You realize that these people must never go to the games.”

They talked about Tom Coughlin and Odell Beckham, Jr. “The Giants are actually pretty good but keep shooting themselves in the foot. Odell Beckham Jr. was out of control. He should have bene thrown out of the game. But that’s the referee’s job, not the coach’s. You’re trying to win a game.” I wonder what would happen if Jim had a hot-headed player who was shoving guys around or under-cutting them. Would he just leave him in the game because he’s trying to win?

Texas Southern has not had any home games yet. Their first 12 games are on the road. “They’ll get $80-90,000 for playing some of those games, several hundred thousand when they are done. That’s their athletic budget. Then they can still win their conference and got to the NCAAs. “

Pittsburgh “has one of their better teams”, (10-1). They have 2-3 seniors, a couple of juniors and two senior transfers. They were beating Gonzaga”, (37-35 at halftime before the game was called due to a slippery floor), “and lost to Purdue, who is a really good team”, (12-1, they beat Pitt 72-59). Miami is really, really good. Florida State is playing well. Virginia is really good. Louisville, Duke, North Carolina- it’s the best the league has been. “

Has the coach seen the new Star Wars movie? JB: “I’ve never seen Star Wars, believe it or not. I’ve seen parts of it on TV. I may go. Have the crowds thinned out yet?” The staff there in the Sinatra room had a bet on what was the last theatrical movie JB has seen. “I used to go to all of them”. (Except Star Wars, apparently.) “I can’t remember the last one I saw in a theater.” Matt said the staff voted for “Lincoln”. JB: “I saw that but I’ve seen some since. I like murder mysteries. I like shoot-em ups with killing and maiming.” (He doesn’t get enough of that on the court?) “Juli doesn’t like that. Now I mostly watch them in hotel rooms. It costs SU $8 but it gets my mind off the game.”

“It’s really important to get the useless information out of your head so you can concentrate on the important things.” (I’ve always thought it’s really important to get important things out of your head so you can concentrate on things you like.)
Thanks a ton for doing this SWC...for someone so far away reading this gives more insight into JB and SU hoops
Much appreciated
Merry Christmas SWC and the ORANGENATION

OO44

Steve...getting excited about Chukwu...can't wait to see him go all Mutombo on Georgetown next year.

Yeah the Chukwu comments but, also, and this worries me regarding Montana State inside and moving forward..."They didn't even put up a fight."

Yeah the Chukwu comments but, also, and this worries me regarding Montana State inside and moving forward..."They didn't even put up a fight."
well I think that was pretty plain for all of us to see - you just hope games like that, if nothing else, build DC's confidence for moving forward

I liked the part where he said he hoped DC would continue to improve so he could play Lyndon more at the 4.

At least when we see/complain about so much Lyndon at the 5 we know it's out of "necessity" and not JB's preference

I liked the part where he said he hoped DC would continue to improve so he could play Lyndon more at the 4.

At least when we see/complain about so much Lyndon at the 5 we know it's out of "necessity" and not JB's preference

Lyndon:

lyndon-b.-johnson.jpg

Lydon:

497592342-tyler-lydon-of-the-syracuse-orange-drives-to-gettyimages.jpg

IMO marbury was a big miss. not just becuz he didn't come here but becuz he said for 2 years he would. he scared off the other top talent. imagine if you will a team with stephon marbury and adonal foyle. doesn't mean we win but damn look out kentucky.
rudy gay was also kick in da nuts. not so much cuz we lost him (think hodge or that tennesee dude ) but cuz we lost him to a division rival. BE uconn was flexing it's muscle and taking our top recruits.

Last edited:
well I think that was pretty plain for all of us to see - you just hope games like that, if nothing else, build DC's confidence for moving forward

I don't know. It might be 'seen' but ignored by many of the homers here...the Hulks, Orangehomer, Brookys, etc.

Sorry to see that John Mason died, he looked like his usual self at the games earlier this fall. Really nice guy, Dome staple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom