The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame

I am not arguing with your blue print at all, it can work. But as you stated, that won't work with JB at the helm. I don't think Judah is one-and-done. However, all that matters is what Judah thinks is in his own best interest. Judah will get enough visibility at Syracuse to play professionally next season if that is the decision he wants to make. I sincerely hope Judah returns, but I never fault a kid for doing what he thinks is in his own self interest as it relates to his career.

I think NIL is a generational divide amongst coaches and is a major reason you saw Roy Williams decide to hang it up. These traditionally downtrodden SEC programs are now making it rain on all the top basketball recruits with just the scraps from their football earnings. The NCAA rules for recruiting are pretty much nonexistent at this point and I can understand why many coaches are very frustrated by the current recruiting landscape. Will Wade was caught on a federal wire tap offering money and still coached 3 more seasons at LSU. Bruce Pearl doesn't even bother to put his cash in a suitcase anymore, someone from the NCAA compliance office just drops it off for him. I am not apologizing for Boeheim's recent lack of success at roster building, but I can understand his frustration.
In any business, you have to evolve or fail. That’s how it goes. College basketball is a business it’s always been

I've moved toward the position that we can't just appoint a guy who's going to do things the same way to replace him. A hot shot coach who wants to aggressively use the portal and NIL and go for one-and-dones might be the only way to avoid permanent mediocrity - but even he will have to be adequately funded to play the modern game, which can't be done with 'under-the-radar' types.
It’s my theory that is why Roy and K both decided to retire. At least one of the reasons. They knew their “program approach/systems” were no longer compatible with the current environment. Too hard to change when you are old.

It’s my theory that is why Roy and K both decided to retire. At least one of the reasons. They knew their “program approach/systems” were no longer compatible with the current environment. Too hard to change when you are old.
I agree with your post, with one modification. I would say that Roy and K were capable of changing, they just didn't want to. For as much complaining as we have done about Roy and K, they are honorable men that took a lot of pride in running a program the right way. They weren't going to throw all of that away to compete against a crop of young coaches caught on wire taps in the current morally ambiguous state of college basketball rules enforcement. Ricky P allowed assistants to hire prostitutes for recruits (allegedly). You can't wash that type of stink off your legacy!

I agree with your post, with one modification. I would say that Roy and K were capable of changing, they just didn't want to. For as much complaining as we have done about Roy and K, they are honorable men that took a lot of pride in running a program the right way. They weren't going to throw all of that away to compete against a crop of young coaches caught on wire taps in the current morally ambiguous state of college basketball rules enforcement. Ricky P allowed assistants to hire prostitutes for recruits (allegedly). You can't wash that type of stink off your legacy!

What kind of coach do we want to replace JB?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom