The More I Think About it, Lester is THE Problem | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The More I Think About it, Lester is THE Problem

Yeah that's a fair take. I'm not saying we're a good offense. I'm saying I don't think we're that far off. But I get the apathy and being tired of waiting.
it all comes down to how much you credit dungey and how much you credit the offense.

it's why i did the posts about the biggest differences between passer rating and offense. when your passer rating as a whole is 134 (mahoney, hunt, wilson, whatever included), thankfully that limits how terrible your offense can be. no matter what offense you run, you should going to end up better than teams with dreadful qbs.

Millhouse said:
it all comes down to how much you credit dungey and how much you credit the offense. it's why i did the posts about the biggest differences between passer rating and offense. when your passer rating as a whole is 134 (mahoney, hunt, wilson, whatever included), thankfully that limits how terrible your offense can be. no matter what offense you run, you should going to end up better than teams with dreadful qbs.

Credit is a funny thing. I don't know that you can divorce the system from the QB that easily.

Dungey should get credit for scrambles and making something from nothing - but the rest is a by product of the two working together.

The truth is that we go too slow and run too few plays and have breakdowns based on youth. We've played one good half in each game. That does make it a poor offense statistically - but it should give you some hope of putting it all together.

Lester has largely done what we'd hoped he could - he's adjusted the offense to what has worked as the season has gone on.

Credit is a funny thing. I don't know that you can divorce the system from the QB that easily.

Dungey should get credit for scrambles and making something from nothing - but the rest is a by product of the two working together.

The truth is that we go too slow and run too few plays and have breakdowns based on youth. We've played one good half in each game. That does make it a poor offense statistically - but it should give you some hope of putting it all together.

Lester has largely done what we'd hoped he could - he's adjusted the offense to what has worked as the season has gone on.
i don't think the breakdowns are because of youth. i think that's just an excuse. we make our wr younger in terms of reps by asking them to be hbacks.

this offense doesn't fool anyone and doesn't make it easier to run the ball. the expressbacks aren't helping

terrible teams can have decent halves. you don't end up as low in offense with lots of good halves without plenty of other bad teams doing the same thing.

Millhouse said:
i don't think the breakdowns are because of youth. i think that's just an excuse. we make our wr younger in terms of reps by asking them to be hbacks. breakdowns should be affecting the passer rating more terrible teams can have decent halves. you don't end up as low in offense with lots of good halves without plenty of other bad teams doing the same thing.

The HB has been fine as 3rd WR and very good as 2nd RB. That's not the issue

You may be right about about the halves thing - but my gut tells me that most bad teams have fits and starts all game - not really good halves followed by complete clusterf.

If you go by S&P+ O stats, this season is only behind 2012. That seems correct vs the total O stat that says this team is as bad as 2014.

The HB has been fine as 3rd WR and very good as 2nd RB. That's not the issue

You may be right about about the halves thing - but my gut tells me that most bad teams have fits and starts all game - not really good halves followed by complete clusterf.

If you go by S&P+ O stats, this season is only behind 2012. That seems correct vs the total O stat that says this team is as bad as 2014.
go by yards per play. better than 2014, getting worse. you shouldn't be 73rd with a passer rating like we have. it's still a big gap. dungey is too good to be this bad, whatever measure you want to pick

if you want to go with s&p+ look at our adjusted pace. we're 120th. you can't pin that on the defense.

we are so slow that it makes almost everything else moot. what good is getting 10 yards a play if you run 1 play.

if the offense is actually as good as the s&p+ states, then shafer is a fool for playing so slow.

Millhouse said:
go by yards per play. better than 2014, getting worse. you shouldn't be 73rd with a passer rating like we have. it's still a big gap. dungey is too good to be this bad, whatever measure you want to pick if you want to go with s&p+ look at our adjusted pace. we're 120th. you can't pin that on the defense. we are so slow that it makes almost everything else moot. what good is getting 10 yards a play if you run 1 play. if the offense is actually as good as the s&p+ states, then shafer is a fool for playing so slow.

Agree. That's exactly why I think we will go fast this game. Nothing to lose, Lester sees the same things we do. 2 min drives = score. Slow and methodical = 3 and out.

Dungey let some of that slip in an interview this week. Talking about how the 2 minute drill makes things slow down for the offense. Lester and Shafer have both said similar things. (Though of course Shafer prefaces it with conservative defense talk "I prefer to have fresh legs for my defense in the 4th Q... Barf)

Agree. That's exactly why I think we will go fast this game. Nothing to lose, Lester sees the same things we do. 2 min drives = score. Slow and methodical = 3 and out.

Dungey let some of that slip in an interview this week. Talking about how the 2 minute drill makes things slow down for the offense. Lester and Shafer have both said similar things. (Though of course Shafer prefaces it with conservative defense talk "I prefer to have fresh legs for my defense in the 4th Q... Barf)
i'm really looking forward to coaches who figure stuff out before we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom