The Next Syracuse Head Coach | Syracusefan.com

The Next Syracuse Head Coach

Arizona State offensive Coordinator Mike Norvell

as long as the coach is a current or former OC and not a DC i am good with the hire...i cant take anymore 100 yard passing games

i thought the board was sooooooo over MAC coaches?
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at. This guy's a winner who oversees a prolific offense that would play well in the dome. And coming from the MAC, he's probably be a coach that SU could realistically pursue and get. Might not be a sexy hire but it would be a very sound one.

It's time to cut the losses with Shafer and move forward with a new coach, a new IPF and new uniforms (assuming the orange parts of the uni-combo will be ready).

Last edited:

I'm not so worried about head coaching experience as I used to be. I've become convinced: offense is the only thing worth worrying about. Give me a guy that has had experience and success installing a high scoring offense at multiple stops and doing that in short order. Doesn't matter where he's from, what his background is. Heck, if WVU decides to cut bait with Holgorsen for whatever reason, I would snap him up in an instant. Let him have a flask on the sideline...give him the title of head coach and supreme overlord of the universe...whatever it takes.

I'm not so worried about head coaching experience as I used to be. I've become convinced: offense is the only thing worth worrying about. Give me a guy that has had experience and success installing a high scoring offense at multiple stops and doing that in short order. Doesn't matter where he's from, what his background is. Heck, if WVU decides to cut bait with Holgorsen for whatever reason, I would snap him up in an instant. Let him have a flask on the sideline...give him the title of head coach and supreme overlord of the universe...whatever it takes.
I agree that hiring a coach with a proven offensive background is imperative, But I AM worried about head coaching experience bc as we've already seen twice, first w/ GRob and now w/ Shafer, being good coordinator doesn't always translate to being a good HC.

The reason I like Campbell (or hope we find someone like him) is that he's already proven that he can effectively man the HC role. He's an Ohio guy (a state we historically recruit) who runs an EXCELLENT offense. It's only a matter of time before he ends up at a P5 school so why not SU, a team in desperate need of competent, experienced, offensive-minded head coach?

I agree that hiring a coach with a proven offensive background is imperative, But I AM worried about head coaching experience bc as we've already seen twice, first w/ GRob and now w/ Shafer, being good coordinator doesn't always translate to being a good HC.

The reason I like Campbell (or hope we find someone like him) is that he's already proven that he can effectively man the HC role. He's an Ohio guy (a state we historically recruit) who runs an EXCELLENT offense. It's only a matter of time before he ends up at a P5 school so why not SU, a team in desperate need of competent, experienced, offensive-minded head coach?
Well, Marrone and PP had no HC experience.

3-3-5 D - I am getting a headache just thinking about it.

3-3-5 D - I am getting a headache just thinking about it.

That was Rich Rod's baby. Don't think Holgorsen is wedded to it in the same way. We also have to keep in mind that the center of offensive innovation in the college game today is the Big 12. Can't be easy looking good defensively in that league. Even Stoops is having a hard time of it.

Well, Marrone and PP had no HC experience.
I understand that. And, of course, plenty of coordinators go on to become successful head coaches. But given the critical importance of getting the next hire right, I'd prefer the next coach have proven head coaching experience.

That was Rich Rod's baby. Don't think Holgorsen is wedded to it in the same way. We also have to keep in mind that the center of offensive innovation in the college game today is the Big 12. Can't be easy looking good defensively in that league. Even Stoops is having a hard time of it.
Holgorson just re installed it this year.

Not for or against. Just putting this name out there for discussion. Ken Niumatololo. Solid coach. The option worked here previously. There are much riskier choices out there.

Not for or against. Just putting this name out there for discussion. Ken Niumatololo. Solid coach. The option worked here previously. There are much riskier choices out there.
I agree. I would rather play like GT and win than try and do something we apparently can't.

Crusty said:
I agree. I would rather play like GT and win than try and do something we apparently can't.

Whoah. No way.

I'm not giving up on Shafer/Lester yet - but if we switch gears towards an offensive minded coach finally - I don't want to see GT style crap.

I still prefer good defense to sling all around offense. A very good defense will always beat a gimmick offense, that is why Oregon can never get over the hump. Don't get me wrong I would kill for Oregon's success but I don't think they will win a NC. I would like to see a balanced offense with a solid run game that gives the ball to 1 main back. I would like to see Lester have a chance, changing coaches does not guarantee instant success or success at all, what we pay will not get a big name and a coordinator will use it as a stepping stone. If Holgerson came, I would quit following the program!

We don't have the money to afford a guy like that. West Virgina is a big State School with a big booster organization..who give big money!

tressel.jpg

Whoah. No way.

I'm not giving up on Shafer/Lester yet - but if we switch gears towards an offensive minded coach finally - I don't want to see GT style crap.
They win

Holgorson just re installed it this year.
Actually, Tony Gibson (RichRod droid who followed him to Michigan) re-installed it. It's voodoo defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom