The Official "Favorite Beer Thread" | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The Official "Favorite Beer Thread"

Dogfish head 120 ipa, world wide stout, immort, old school
Rochefort 8 & 10
grand cru
Orval

Going to Belgium Saturday on business for week

Went to London for a week recently and got into cask ale. One style that needs to be attempted more often in the US.

Am I allowed to say I don't like beer? It all tastes the same to me... and to my taste buds it all tastes bad.

Give ne a dry, light red wine (something like a Pinot Noir), and I am happy.

Am I allowed to say I don't like beer? It all tastes the same to me... and to my taste buds it all tastes bad.

Give ne a dry, light red wine (something like a Pinot Noir), and I am happy.

Sure, but what are some good pinot noir's for us beer geeks that need to buy a bottle every now and then?

For all you hop heads, you have to try Double Jack. I've tried a ton of the IPA's listed in this thread, and while I enjoy a lot of them, I think Double Jack far and away is the best I've had. So smooth and it will kick your ass if you're not careful. I know this from personal experience. :)

For all you hop heads, you have to try Double Jack. I've tried a ton of the IPA's listed in this thread, and while I enjoy a lot of them, I think Double Jack far and away is the best I've had. So smooth and it will kick your ass if you're not careful. I know this from personal experience. :)

Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig are the best DIPA/IPA that I have had, didn't get to try the younger. I'll have to try Double Jack since its about the only IPA in the thread that I haven't tried.

Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig are the best DIPA/IPA that I have had, didn't get to try the younger. I'll have to try Double Jack since its about the only IPA in the thread that I haven't tried.

Pliny the Elder is really good. Who makes Blind Pig? Never had it. Let me know what you think of Double Jack.

as I noted earlier, I don't really drink beer anymore, but I can't believe we've gone 11 pages without someone mentioning the CNY mainstay, Genesee Cream Ale. My favorite beer growing up, and my first act of rebellion (my dad was a Red Eye drinker)

Pliny the Elder is really good. Who makes Blind Pig? Never had it. Let me know what you think of Double Jack.

Blind Big is Russian River's regular IPA Elder and Younger are their DIPA's.
I haven't tried Double Jack but I'm definitally on the look out for it after reading this thread.

as I noted earlier, I don't really drink beer anymore, but I can't believe we've gone 11 pages without someone mentioning the CNY mainstay, Genesee Cream Ale. My favorite beer growing up, and my first act of rebellion (my dad was a Red Eye drinker)

Gene Screamers, LOL.

I'd much rather drink whiskey, usually Crown Royal, but I've drank plenty of beer in my life. The best that I have ever tasted is Desperado which is a beer with Tequila in it. Very tasty.

images

Super Cheap Beer- PBR

Less Cheap but still fairly cheap beer- Labatt/Rolling Rock

Standard "I want something decent" beer- Shock Top/Blue Moon/Magic Hat

I'm at Chuck's beer- Dundee Honey Brown (3.50 pitchers before 8 and all day Friday, nom nom nom)

I'm at Faegan's on flip night and hopefully this will be a free beer- Abita Purple Haze or Middle Ages Apricot

Fall beer- Saranac Pumpkin or Southern Tier Pumpking (I just turned 21 in September so I haven't had a ton of time to taste other seasonals)

Favorite beers I can't always get- Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Me, bnoro, and ljmilman also got this in NYC at Ginger Man before the Stanford game in honor of Boeheim. Still one of the better beers I've had: Founder's Old Curmudgeon Ale

Founders+Old+Curmudgeon+Ale.jpg

Got any homebrew details to share? Bottle or keg? Favorite recipes? Extract or mash?

I have not made the leap to kegging yet. I like the bottle zen. My mash-tun is to my left here and I use completely stolen converted Sanke Kegs for my HLT and Brewpot. (One is A-B the other Coors, I am scoping out where to get a Miller to upgrade the Mashtun) I am complete full mash now, in 11G batches. Also, I almost always do 2-back to back, so it defiantly will kill a Saturday.

Favorite non-traditional beer I make, now on its 7th version, is Peat-n-Heather. I am still tweaking the grain bill, but it is Maris Otter and Muton's Pale for the base malts, some Munich and Victory, a little Special B, crystal 120, and some Peat Smoked malt. I don't hop it at all, but use 2-4 oz. of Heather tips, and it gets a nice long 90 minute boil. It is not like any other beer I have ever had, and it is all mine. I am also really fond of that Mountaineer Slayer Black India Ale I made last 10-22, but not the fact that it cursed the team...:bang: How long you been brewing? I started with a 5g bucket kit in '05. So we have chemistry, guitars, beer production and Syracuse fanaticism in common. You're a good man Mason.

Yech...really not a beer. More like beer flavored water.

I drank a lot of Hahn Ice down there, due to my hosts, but I really, REALLY liked the Victoria Bitter. Heavenly.

If you're a hop head, I'll put a good word in for The Alchemist (Vermont) Heady Topper. Phenomenal IIPA that might be my favorite I've had.

Pliny the Elder/Younger, while impossible to find are the top of the top shelf.

For session stuff, I've always been a fan of Placid IPA, Harpoon IPA, Sierra and Saranac Black Forest.

quote]

Not impossible dutch but damn close to it on this coast. I got lucky mine landed on the porch next dayed from someone I met through beeradvocate, wish I could have afforded more than the 8 Elders and 8Pigs I got. I wouldn't even consider doing it these days because of personal economics.

If you're a hop head, I'll put a good word in for The Alchemist (Vermont) Heady Topper. Phenomenal IIPA that might be my favorite I've had.

For session stuff, I've always been a fan of Placid IPA, Harpoon IPA, Sierra and Saranac Black Forest.

Not sure how, but I almost forgot about Heady Topper. Very good.

Wow how did I miss this thread?

Tailgating we mostly stick to cans so:
Dale's Pale
Ten Fidy
Old Chub

Oskar Blues does some really great stuff.

Three Philosophers was my gateway beer and still enjoy it (remember simpler times when Guinness used to be a 'heavy" beer?). Favorite Middle Ages beer is probably Dragon Slayer, or Wailing Wench.

Some of my go to's not listed prior:
Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Victory Hop Wallop
Stone Ruination IPA
Southern Tier: Choklat, Jahva, or Mokah

Latest 2 exceptional brews that come to mind:
Tripel Karmeliet
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock

There's a place here in Rochester that has Dales Pale Ale on draft. My wife is sometimes reluctant to go there because it's usually touble. Turns out she likes it just as much as I do. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom