The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread

I'm sure they loved every second of it and it psyched them up. I got to see something like it on the UVa MLax bench. We were playing at Hopkins and their band started playing that ridiculous song they play after each goal. One of our players yelled out to everyone, "You hear that song? That's the last time they play it today!"

As an Su Lax fan, I know and hate that JHU song as well.

But beyond that, Hopkins has the least threatening, nerdiest student body group at games. They once threatened Maryland player , Andrew Whipple, by chanting at him, "Don't squeeze the Charmin".

I've been to a number of SU-Rutgers basketball and football games. In no way did it measure up to Georgetown in basketball but you could sense a rivalry starting in football.

Rivalries blossom when alumni and fans cross paths in their day to day lives. But if you live in Virginia, for example, you wouldn't get that feel. Just as I, for example, wouldn't get that feel about Virginia Tech living in Connecticut.

Nice matchup. Not a rivalry to me.

They were a good team, as were we. Brent Musberger called the McNabb 1998 game - Dome was a madhouse for those. Even the crappy 2002 team was an ESPN night game. VT traveled in hoards to the Dome. The games mattered for something.

The Rutgers games not so much. We just got to know guys like Rutgers Al but outside of here, meh.

It depends on your definition of what a "rival" is.

I have always felt that those who consider Rutgers a rival have the bar set too low. Way too low.

I remember an SU v. Georgetown game in the Dome in the 1980's. I was seated close to the floor and it was, of course, a packed house.

When the GU players came out on to the floor, there was a wave of extreme dislike that rolled down the from the upper deck onto the floor. It was booing and cat-calling that had an actual "edge" to it. Palpable "Hate' may be too strong a term, but it was close to that.

No SU v. Rutgers game has even come within a country mile of that fan reaction. Becase Ruthgers is NOT a real rival and has never been a real rival in the same sense.

I can remember asking myself what it must be like for those GU players and for JT Jr. to face this level of disapproval. Imagine yourself walking out on a gym floor and having 18,000 people screaming negative stuff at you.

Years later I talked with Dwayne Bryant, one of the GU players who had played in the Dome a number of times during that era. He said he actually enjoyed playing in games at SU.

This is a tough comparison to make. Ignoring they are different sports (I hesitate to believe anyone would consider it a rivalry game if we played G'town in football next year), to suggest that we compare all rivalries to Syracuse Georgetown basketball at the height of both teams ascension is a mountain very few rivalries in all of sports can climb. It is (was?) considered one of the greatest rivalries ever and you reference the 80's when it was already about 5 years in on a shared new basketball only conference and both teams were coming into their glory? You realize that the rivalry helped both teams recruit better and improve as programs, and brought about a national consciousness of not only both programs, but the BigEast as a whole? There was a regional aspect to it also, in a NY vs DC way.

Could it be that there was a time in our collective history where SU and RU were at a similar level (both bad if that makes you feel better) and both programs fought for attention and recruits on even ground, and in the same region? Who was Georgetown before Jon Thompson? Who was Rutgers before Greg Schiano? It had some potential to be something and bring both programs up. It may be over now, but it seemed it was there, at its beginnings about five years ago. We all really hated him and them. Thompson and Boeheim didn't leave for a long stint, and more so the BigEast stayed in the mix of top leagues until we left for the ACC. We had two different coaches and the league changed three times in the ten years Schiano was there. They were our football rivals for at least five of his ten years. Some of that still carries over as this thread is evidence of. I think many of us will lose this connection as time creates distance of memory if we don't play them again. That is what it is. Until then, let people enjoy what they love about regional rivalries with former conference mates. I hope we can find another Rutgers in the ACC. I don't think it will be PITT or BC.

To be sure, we are entertained by Rutgers missteps. Rutgers has an inordinate number of missteps. And let's be honest, the whole college athletics community is laughing at Rutgers. I have lived in several states and everyone everywhere laughed at Rutgers, if they knew about Rutgers. Syracuse fans just laugh a little more because of the internet nonsense that occurred, because we share similar recruiting grounds and because they believe they pull in NYC, though there is glaring lack of proof of viewership in NYC.

Rutgers is not and probably never will be a rival. They were mediocre while Syracuse was down and won a few games, not a big deal. We will not play them annually unless there is another major shift in conferences, so no worries. I will still have fun at Rutgers expense, they are like comedians who do anything for attention and some of it too funny not to laugh at.

This is a tough comparison to make. Ignoring they are different sports (I hesitate to believe anyone would consider it a rivalry game if we played G'town in football next year), to suggest that we compare all rivalries to Syracuse Georgetown basketball at the height of both teams ascension is a mountain very few rivalries in all of sports can climb. It is (was?) considered one of the greatest rivalries ever and you reference the 80's when it was already about 5 years in on a shared new basketball only conference and both teams were coming into their glory? You realize that the rivalry helped both teams recruit better and improve as programs, and brought about a national consciousness of not only both programs, but the BigEast as a whole? There was a regional aspect to it also, in a NY vs DC way.

Could it be that there was a time in our collective history where SU and RU were at a similar level (both bad if that makes you feel better) and both programs fought for attention and recruits on even ground, and in the same region? Who was Georgetown before Jon Thompson? Who was Rutgers before Greg Schiano? It had some potential to be something and bring both programs up. It may be over now, but it seemed it was there, at its beginnings about five years ago. We all really hated him and them. Thompson and Boeheim didn't leave for a long stint, and more so the BigEast stayed in the mix of top leagues until we left for the ACC. We had two different coaches and the league changed three times in the ten years Schiano was there. They were our football rivals for at least five of his ten years. Some of that still carries over as this thread is evidence of. I think many of us will lose this connection as time creates distance of memory if we don't play them again. That is what it is. Until then, let people enjoy what they love about regional rivalries with former conference mates. I hope we can find another Rutgers in the ACC. I don't think it will be PITT or BC.

So now the RU vs. SU relationship was some sort of "budding Rivalry". A new category of rivalry.

We have been playing BC and Pitt for decades. They were Major Eastern Indies when RU was busy playing Lehigh and Lafayette. And we really don't have a rivalry with BC or Pitt or WVU. But Rutgers, a team that was recently added and with whom we have never played a meaningful game is a "Rival"?

You are entitled to your own definition of Rivalry.

I personally think suggesting that RU is an SU rival or would have been an SU rival is border
line insulting to the stature and history of SU athletics.
The basis for the hard feelings with RU fans is the nerve, the temerity of their trying to associate themselves with SU by trying to start a rivalry.

Theri previous target for this sort of nonsense was Princeton. A school with which they have NOTHING in common with except geography and which would never elevate RU to the status of rival.

Now, if you listen to them, Penn State is the "rival".

I remember an SU v. Georgetown game in the Dome in the 1980's. I was seated close to the floor and it was, of course, a packed house.

When the GU players came out on to the floor, there was a wave of extreme dislike that rolled down the from the upper deck onto the floor. It was booing and cat-calling that had an actual "edge" to it. Palpable "Hate' may be too strong a term, but it was close to that.

Years later I talked with Dwayne Bryant, one of the GU players who had played in the Dome a number of times during that era. He said he actually enjoyed playing in games at SU.

Which should come as no surprise. I actually hate the way the NCAA cut out the taunting that used to exist back in the 80s and 90s -- mostly inspired by the bad-ass Hurricanes dynasty years. As a fan, don't you want to get riled up? Don't you want to face a team that gets your blood boiling? The atmosphere in the Dome on November 21, 1992 would not have been what it was if Miami was a bunch of choir boys. Same goes for Ewing and his boys.

Townie72 said:
So now the RU vs. SU relationship was some sort of "budding Rivalry". A new category of rivalry. We have been playing BC and Pitt for decades. They were Major Eastern Indies when RU was busy playing Lehigh and Lafayette. And we really don't have a rivalry with BC or Pitt or WVU. But Rutgers, a team that was recently added and with whom we have never played a meaningful game is a "Rival"? You are entitled to your own definition of Rivalry. I personally think suggesting that RU is an SU rival or would have been an SU rival is border line insulting to the stature and history of SU athletics. . The basis for the hard feelings with RU fans is the nerve, the temerity of their trying to associate themselves with SU by trying to start a rivalry. Theri previous target for this sort of nonsense was Princeton. A school with which they have NOTHING in common with except geography and which would never elevate RU to the status of rival. Now, if you listen to them, Penn State is the "rival".

That's the point. "Rivalry" is a term that means different things to different people. And irrelevant to this threads existence.

In other words: it really doesn't matter.

There are three schools that I "hate" and want them to lose at everything: Georgetown, UConn and Rutgers.

To me that's a rivalry.

We don't like those schools. They don't like us.

Villanova, BC, St. John's, Hopkins, Virginia, WVU and Pitt are all nice one or two sport rivals; but I don't hate their institutions the way I do the other three.

Moving forward I can see NC State becoming a bit of a rivalry. I hope so. It's fun injecting some bitterness to games.

Regarding the schools that I "hate" in everything, I'd add THE Ohio State University and Notre Dame. Agree with everything you say in your post.

All the old timers keep bringing up BC, West Va and Pit. None of those teams registers a PULSE on this board. None. We should have millhouse or some admins pick some stats about how many threads reference the above schools, i guarantee you Rutgers is #1. Nothing moves the needle on this board like anything that has to do with Rutgers. This 120 page thread proves it.

I get this may be a generational thing, in a yeah "those Philadelphia Athletics were great back in the day"

There are three schools that I "hate" and want them to lose at everything: Georgetown, UConn and Rutgers.

To me that's a rivalry.

We don't like those schools. They don't like us.

Villanova, BC, St. John's, Hopkins, Virginia, WVU and Pitt are all nice one or two sport rivals; but I don't hate their institutions the way I do the other three.

Moving forward I can see NC State becoming a bit of a rivalry. I hope so. It's fun injecting some bitterness to games.

I'm in the same boat, Rivalries have hate and vitriol infused in them, it's not just about records or the competitiveness of games during certain time periods. Its born when both fan bases have a deep disdain/hatred for each other. The question with us and state u of NJ is, at least when it comes to football, will those feelings dissipate if we continue to keep them off our schedule? We haven't played them since the 2012 season and arguable the longest and most active thread on our board is about a school that we have played in 3 seasons and is no longer in our conference. I think the Georgetown being our football rival is a perfect example of rivalries not existing in multiple sports from the same two Universities.

Last edited:
Rutgers = Dumpster fire.

C'mon people.

If you don't want to make fun of the Girls, start a 'Who's our rival?" thread. :D

All the old timers keep bringing up BC, West Va and Pit. None of those teams registers a PULSE on this board. None. We should have millhouse or some admins pick some stats about how many threads reference the above schools, i guarantee you Rutgers is #1. Nothing moves the needle on this board like anything that has to do with Rutgers. This 120 page thread proves it.

I get this may be a generational thing, in a yeah "those Philadelphia Athletics were great back in the day"

The #2 school is probably Uconn

Rutgers is a rival to some members of this forum whose insecurity during the GERG years led them to start focusing on a mediocre RU under Schiano.
It's been a pathetic display of insecurity to even begin to consider that cesspool in Jersey on the same level as SU's history and tradition, just because they sniffed a few years of low-level bowl success.
GTown, UConn, PSU, Pitt, heck even WVU, are and have been rivals to SU, because they actually competed and EARNED that designation.
The so-called "rivalry" with Rutgers reminds me of those participation trophies handed out to lame kids just for showing up...and those ROSUF (Rutgers obsessed SU fans) who like to perpetuate said bogus "rivalry", are like helicopter parents determined to see their inadequate kids stay relevant.
End rant.
JMHO
You seem awfully angry over this issue. I would offer that perhaps you're not being honest with yourself and how you feel about Rutgers.
While we have a great football history over the decades, I'd like to see us downplay this angle a little bit. We've had only one really good year since the turn of the century. The reality is that on a national level, RU is seen as a more successful program over the last 10 years and they beat us more often than not in that time frame, so it's kind of hard to say that they didn't compete with us. All of us on here know that it's smoke and mirrors and this happened during our darkest period, but perception is reality to a lot of people. And, they started beating us when Coach P was still here, so we can't just blame it all on GRob. The fact that they beat us at all leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I have a feeling that it does the same to a lot of people on here, some of whom might be in the camp that doesn't want to call RU a rival. If there is animosity between two programs and their fans and we are consistently battling over recruits, I would consider that a rivalry. Rivals don't have to play each other on the field.

I have always felt that those who consider Rutgers a rival have the bar set too low. Way too low.
Exactly.When I think of rivals in football,I think of PSU or WVU.Those were the programs we had the closest thing to a rivalry with that we've ever had.Not a program that we were kind of competitive with during the worst decade in this program's history.

You seem awfully angry over this issue. I would offer that perhaps you're not being honest with yourself and how you feel about Rutgers.
While we have a great football history over the decades, I'd like to see us downplay this angle a little bit. We've had only one really good year since the turn of the century. The reality is that on a national level, RU is seen as a more successful program over the last 10 years and they beat us more often than not in that time frame, so it's kind of hard to say that they didn't compete with us. All of us on here know that it's smoke and mirrors and this happened during our darkest period, but perception is reality to a lot of people. And, they started beating us when Coach P was still here, so we can't just blame it all on GRob. The fact that they beat us at all leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I have a feeling that it does the same to a lot of people on here, some of whom might be in the camp that doesn't want to call RU a rival. If there is animosity between two programs and their fans and we are consistently battling over recruits, I would consider that a rivalry. Rivals don't have to play each other on the field.

I just don't understand why some get so adamant over the notion that Rutgers might be a rival. It's like if we acknowledge Rutgers as a rival we'll suck at football.

Exactly.When I think of rivals in football,I think of PSU or WVU.Those were the programs we had the closest thing to a rivalry with that we've ever had.Not a program that we were kind of competitive with during the worst decade in this program's history.

And neither of those programs gives a s*** about us right now. WVU might a bit, but we don't compete with them for anything any more.

And neither of those programs gives a s*** about us right now. WVU might a bit, but we don't compete with them for anything any more.

And I've already said that we don't have a rival.If you want to see Rutgers as rival..knock yourself out.

You could make a strong argument that PSU v SU in the 70s/80s was analogous to SU v RU in the 2000s.

You could make a strong argument that PSU v SU in the 70s/80s was analogous to SU v RU in the 2000s.

TBF... WE thought PSU was our rival... THEY never did. Their fanbase was (and still is) majorly deluded of course...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom