The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread

Syracuse is 30-12-1 all time vs Rutgers. To have a rivalry, you have to be competitive. This is not competitive. No rivalry.

Ahem, since 2000, SU is 6-7 vs Rutgers. The overall w/l record is skewed to when RU was atrocious. A rivalry was building.

billorange44 said:
Rutgers is no rival. Never have been. They only started playing football 7-8 years ago if you want to call it that. Rivals, no way.

Then we don't have a rival.

It doesn't matter what we call them. We can hate on them and find things their athletic department entertaining without applying some sort of label to it all.

billorange44 said:
Syracuse is 30-12-1 all time vs Rutgers. To have a rivalry, you have to be competitive. This is not competitive. No rivalry.

That was changing fast. It was becoming a rivalry. Now it's not because we no longer play them.

the irony of "not our rival" but "lets keep running tab on everything going on in their program because again, we really dont care about them" :crazy:
no irony in my post at all - I'm not weighing in on the rival/not a rival issue, just don't want this thread ruined by a subject that has already been discussed ad nauseam.

ClkWrkOrange said:
We don't have a true rival.This thread exists because of the hatred for their internet fanbase.They aren't,never have been and never will be our rival.

But they were becoming a rival. To deny that is absurd.

ClkWrkOrange said:
Maybe they were to you.Whatever.

Yup, whatever.

As long as I consider them a rival, that's good enough for me.

We don't have a true rival.This thread exists because of the hatred for their internet fanbase.They aren't,never have been and never will be our rival.

It depends on your definition of what a "rival" is.

I have always felt that those who consider Rutgers a rival have the bar set too low. Way too low.

I remember an SU v. Georgetown game in the Dome in the 1980's. I was seated close to the floor and it was, of course, a packed house.

When the GU players came out on to the floor, there was a wave of extreme dislike that rolled down the from the upper deck onto the floor. It was booing and cat-calling that had an actual "edge" to it. Palpable "Hate' may be too strong a term, but it was close to that.

No SU v. Rutgers game has even come within a country mile of that fan reaction. Becase Ruthgers is NOT a real rival and has never been a real rival in the same sense.

I can remember asking myself what it must be like for those GU players and for JT Jr. to face this level of disapproval. Imagine yourself walking out on a gym floor and having 18,000 people screaming negative stuff at you.

Years later I talked with Dwayne Bryant, one of the GU players who had played in the Dome a number of times during that era. He said he actually enjoyed playing in games at SU.

orangeinjersey said:
the irony of "not our rival" but "lets keep running tab on everything going on in their program because again, we really dont care about them" :crazy:

There's middle ground. They are entertaining. We don't like them.

That's why this thread exists.

just my two cents, we have 116 page topic on the school and share the same primary recruiting area. When was the last time another school got a multiple page topic that didn't involved the coaching carousel? JMO but those saying it isn't a rivalry are in denial and too ashamed to admit the facts.

Last edited:
Bayside44 said:
By the same 35 internet people. Virginia Tech was a rivalry. Good TV and the Dome swelled. RU not so much.

I've been to a number of SU-Rutgers basketball and football games. In no way did it measure up to Georgetown in basketball but you could sense a rivalry starting in football.

Rivalries blossom when alumni and fans cross paths in their day to day lives. But if you live in Virginia, for example, you wouldn't get that feel. Just as I, for example, wouldn't get that feel about Virginia Tech living in Connecticut.

Nice matchup. Not a rivalry to me.

I've been to a number of SU-Rutgers basketball and football games. In no way did it measure up to Georgetown in basketball but you could sense a rivalry starting in football.

Rivalries blossom when alumni and fans cross paths in their day to day lives. But if you live in Virginia, for example, you wouldn't get that feel. Just as I, for example, wouldn't get that feel about Virginia Tech living in Connecticut.

Nice matchup. Not a rivalry to me.

agreed on the basketball side of things but are you really going to use an example that doesn't fit the situation with us and RU? We share a land boarder with them, I feel like a decent amount of our alumnus are from NJ or reside their currently. Both schools have a lot of alumni that work/live in NYC and we both concentrate our recruiting on the same general area.

Edit, on top of that the distance between lets say uconn/tech is probably about double the distance that ru/cuse are from each other. Uconn/Vtech have never been in the same conference with each other either.

Last edited:
A "rivalry" was building? But only when WE were atrocious, and they (for the first time EVER) were not?

lol, this board/administration just fired shafer because he couldnt keep up with the 8 win Doug Marrone days and your claiming we were AWFUL those years?

I can remember asking myself what it must be like for those GU players and for JT Jr. to face this level of disapproval. Imagine yourself walking out on a gym floor and having 18,000 people screaming negative stuff at you.

Years later I talked with Dwayne Bryant, one of the GU players who had played in the Dome a number of times during that era. He said he actually enjoyed playing in games at SU.
I'm sure they loved every second of it and it psyched them up. I got to see something like it on the UVa MLax bench. We were playing at Hopkins and their band started playing that ridiculous song they play after each goal. One of our players yelled out to everyone, "You hear that song? That's the last time they play it today!"

lol, this board/administration just fired shafer because he couldnt keep up with the 8 win Doug Marrone days and your claiming we were AWFUL those years?

Somebody posted that since 2000 we were 6-7 vs. Rutgers.
You somehow do NOT think we were AWFUL for the vast majority of that time?? Does the word GERG ring any bells?
Especially as compared to the ~15 years that preceded it?

8-win Doug Marrone "days" was EXACTLY ONE SEASON. Out of 15!!!

We had, what, maybe 3-4 winning seasons during that time? Out of 15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom