The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread

There are many things that make up a rivalry. In those two cases it is proximity. Syracuse and Rutgers shared a league for a few years and played many games for many years, but Syracuse was always a much better program until recently. It is difficult to erase the decades of being the whipping boy. I think it would be easier to start a rivalry with
a team you haven't played
as much than to try to start one with one that you beat down for decades.

Like UCF and UConn?

Like UCF and UConn?
No, not some artificial BS "rivalry". I mean one that grown organically. If Syracuse and Rutgers did not have decades of history prior to the past 15 years, then perhaps a rivalry could have grown. And that is probably why so many of the younger fans consider it a rivalry. But the old timers have no respect for Rutgers, and that is one of the critical ingredients of a rivalry.

Some will never see them as a rival. And some will. It really doesn't matter.

I will say the thing that is unquestionably true is that not playing them will over time make it less relevant.

I say play Rutgers early every year at Yankee Stadium and split tickets 50/50 like the Texas/OU game in Dallas. Also, play for a trophy like the older B1G rivalries do for this game will definitely garner extensive media attention in the NE states.

Absolutely no interest in playing Rutgers every year...none. Why tie down the OOC schedule?
WVU, Pitt and SU should arrange for a rotating series, along the lines of:
WVU @ Pitt
SU @ WVU
WVU @ SU
Pitt @ WVU

Then again, I'd also be good with long term arrangements involving Vanderbilt & Northwestern.

Absolutely no interest in playing Rutgers every year...none. Why tie down the OOC schedule?
The Pinstripe would love it.

Once every 5-10 years, or so, would be OK.

No, not some artificial BS "rivalry". I mean one that grown organically. If Syracuse and Rutgers did not have decades of history prior to the past 15 years, then perhaps a rivalry could have grown. And that is probably why so many of the younger fans consider it a rivalry. But the old timers have no respect for Rutgers, and that is one of the critical ingredients of a rivalry.
Sweet! I must still be young - as a '91 grad.

By this logic, why is UConn a rival in hoops? They were absolutely crap in hoops. In fact, I remember our fraternity house turning into a morgue after UConn upset us in '90 or '91 - because they were considered a garbage program that couldn't compete in the Big East. What do the "old timers" think of UConn? In any event, we can disagree - good to have a healthy dialogue.

I'm hesitant on how well SU would draw to have a game like that in Yankee stadium. SU has never really had that one rival (in my life) and it would have been nice if they did...nothing like Pitt/WV. I'm kind of jealous of that.

Agree Bob. We have always aspired to be rivals with State Penn - but it's not reciprocal. WVU and Pitt are lucky.

By this logic, why is UConn a rival in hoops? They were absolutely crap in hoops. In fact, I remember our fraternity house turning into a morgue after UConn upset us in '90 or '91 - because they were considered a garbage program that couldn't compete in the Big East. What do the "old timers" think of UConn? In any event, we can disagree - good to have a healthy dialogue.

Rutgers could take the path that UCONN did and become relevant thus becoming a rival. As of yet they haven't. So far they are just sniveling little 's who like to beat their chest because they went to a couple of minor bowls.

ummmm...G-Town is SU's rival. However, UCONN has won 4 championships and SU/UCONN have played in classic games. That makes a RIVAL !!! Rutgers has done nothing but shared a BE title once in their history. Please don't compare UCONN basketball with Rutgers football. It just makes you look short sighted.

orangefog is on point today

I'll go one further and say that we had a better chance of developing a rivalry with UConn:
- Existing BB rivalry (bigger than GTown for some fans).
- No real FB history between the teams to bias anyone until they upgraded to D-1.
- Proximity and dueling claims to NYC fans/recruits.
- Internet jagoffs on each side spewing hatred. Actual people interacting too.
- SU fans hated that they got into a BCS conference without paying their dues while UConn fans hate our arrogance.
- UConn held up their end on the field, winning most of the games. Downtime, blah blah blah, but they got it done while we are left with excuses.
- Big games between the two are lacking, but UConn made a BCS bowl after beating us and finishing one game ahead that season (in a 3-way tie for BE title).

Now, after their big season, UConn regressed to where you'd expect them to be while SU began to rebuild to mediocrity. But we got out of the conference and they didn't, so the rivalry ended before becoming full-blown. Had the teams remained in the same conference (especially if UConn was able to string together some winning seasons and leverage their hoops success to increase their FB profile), this had an excellent chance of developing into something bigger - I stress that it wasn't there yet as I and many weren't particularly enthused about them as our big game.

And you know that Diaco would've made up a trophy with a dog chasing an orange ball instead of that Civil Conflict monstrosity if our series was continuing.

I like the thought, but for some reason, I can't elevate UConn football at this point. Likely due to their getting left behind. And also that they are in a wasteland. (both geographically and recruiting wise.) The 'Girls on the other hand.... Big 10, NJ recruiting, proximity to NY. Different vibe and stakes.

Surprised so many people don't realize the whole SU-Rutgers thing is nothing more than a message board thing. All the people I know that go to SU games who don't post on these message boards don't give two hoots about Rutgers. Ask them who our rival is and the names Pitt, BC, WVU, PSU, etc. comes out. Don't know anyone, casual fan or STH who mentions Rutgers.

Surprised so many people don't realize the whole SU-Rutgers thing is nothing more than a message board thing. All the people I know that go to SU games who don't post on these message boards don't give two hoots about Rutgers. Ask them who our rival is and the names Pitt, BC, WVU, PSU, etc. comes out. Don't know anyone, casual fan or STH who mentions Rutgers.
Exactly. They do not exist.

If we're not going to name Rutgers as a rival, please stop saying that Penn St is a rival. That is a pipe dream.

Rocco said:
If we're not going to name Rutgers as a rival, please stop saying that Penn St is a rival. That is a pipe dream.

There are always going to be fans, especially older ones, who will hold on to PSU as a rival.

In reality we don't have a true rival anymore. Been so many changes in conferences realignment and who we play regularly it's hard to pin down just one. Based on the current landscape and also history, I'd say BC and Pitt should be and will be our rivals. Especially BC.

rrlbees said:
There are always going to be fans, especially older ones, who will hold on to PSU as a rival. In reality we don't have a true rival anymore. Been so many changes in conferences realignment and who we play regularly it's hard to pin down just one. Based on the current landscape and also history, I'd say BC and Pitt should be and will be our rivals. Especially BC.

I'd throw in NC State as a dark horse contender based on recent events. Might bubble into something.

I like the thought, but for some reason, I can't elevate UConn football at this point. Likely due to their getting left behind. And also that they are in a wasteland. (both geographically and recruiting wise.) The 'Girls on the other hand... Big 10, NJ recruiting, proximity to NY. Different vibe and stakes.
I agree about UConn - AT THIS POINT. That ship sailed with the conference change. Now if by some miracle they became ACC team #16, it could rekindle quickly.

I don't see any reason to try to build a tradition with RU though either. I'd let it simmer until a chance matchup happens in a bowl game. If there's anything real, it could boil over at that time. Then consider playing a H-H when both teams are on the upswing. If that doesn't happen due to RU reverting to their traditional cellar dweller status, so be it.

We are still new to the ACC and haven't done much in conference yet. Our search/hopes for a rival should focus on our conference opponents. Once we get back to formidable status, something will happen to escalate things with one of those schools. A case could be made for/against many schools as to who it will be, but it should develop inorganically instead of through an "I choose you" system.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="CuseCactus, post: 1600203, member: 980",] What do the "old timers" think of UConn? In any event, we can disagree - good to have a healthy dialogue.[/QUOTE]
Back in the day... Yukon didn't play football and we didn't even know that they tried to play hoops (it was a layup).

When Rutgers rattles off a few national championships in football (I won't even set the bar at 4.. let's call it 2), then this comparison is apt. When the two teams are battling year after year for conference championships, in front of packed stadiums, playing meaningful game after meaningful game.. then maybe this comparison becomes more appropriate. When the two teams play arguably the greatest game in CFB history, with the whole nation watchingmand talking about us and the game for years, then this comparison is apt.

Until then, however, Rutgers will remain a team with a terrible history, no significant recent accomplishments, and enough ongoing 'issues' to keep this thread humming for years on end. A rivalry is about real hatred, not curious amusement. It's the difference between channel surfing and finding a Goodfellas followed by Shawshank vs. re-run episodes of Real Housewives followed by Jersey Shore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom