The schedule is never going to be easier | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The schedule is never going to be easier

Yeah - except they will have more losses.
Gamblers who wager enough money to influence betting lines will look at whom the teams played.

Will you at least admit that if the game is played tomorrow, USF is favored?

Cuse should be 3-1 and USF should be 1-3 or 2-2. I think we'll be a 3-4 pt favorite. USF is kinda like us...many question marks and most experts saying under .500% for the season.

We've always talked about how the scheduling in recent years has prevented us from getting off to a fast start, how letting some inexperienced components of the team gel before we get into the "meat" of the schedule would be preferable, and how we might be able to get into a groove on both sides of the ball by fattening up on weaker teams out of the gate.

Well--this year, the stars are aligned for us to get to 3-1 heading into the USF game. If we TCB, we'll have momentum, and USF will be the squad that's behind the 8-ball. That's a winnable game [even though its on the road], and a game we absolutely HAVE to win to position ourselves for bowl eligibility this year.

Last edited:
RF2044 said:
We've always talked about how the scheduling in recent years has prevented us from getting off to a fast start, how letting some inexperienced components of the team gel before we get into the "meat" of the schedule would be preferable, and how we might be able to get into a groove on both sides of the ball by fattening up on weaker teams out of the gate. Well--this year, the stars are aligned for us to get to 3-1 heading into the USF game. If we TCB, we'll have momentum, and USF will be the squad that's behind the 8-ball. That's a winnable game [even though its on the road], and a game we absolutely HAVE to win to position ourselves for bowl eligibility this year.

Yep, we haven't had as good of a shot at starting 3-0 as we do this year in ages.

We had a good shot last year too, but then we vomited all over ourselves against Maryland.

Yep, we haven't had as good of a shot at starting 3-0 as we do this year in ages.

We had a good shot last year too, but then we vomited all over ourselves against Maryland.

I wouldn't mind having another shot at Maryland this year. They lose Stefon Diggs and Deon Leon who were the top 2 WRs and QB CJ Brown. Looks like it might be a tough year for Dancing Randy.

LSU certainly has some issues, which I've pointed out in other threads here, and certainly could go into again. However, LSU brings back significantly more experience this year than in either of the previous two years (lost 3 underclassmen to the draft, compared to about 17 over the previous two years).

But honestly, at the same time, you're talking about averaging 30 points a game next year when you only hit that mark twice last year, and ignoring the fact that you return the lowest percentage of tackles on your defense of any FBS team.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JUNE15/DBJune10.html

No telling how the game turns out, but this is definitely the silly season for fans across the country. LSU fans included.

You guys currently have 10 rookies on NFL rosters. Just because guys weren't drafted underclassmen, doesn't mean they weren't good/important players, and key losses.

Source: http://bigeasybeliever.com/2015/07/21/lsu-players-heading-nfl-training-camps/

When we scored over 30 points last year, it was before our whole offense got injured and that was in a bad scheme for our players. This years scheme will be a better fit, and we expect better results. Shafer seems excited about it.

We are also at home in what will be a sell out game.

And concerning our defense, just look at our defensive staffs track record. That will tell you all you need to know. This staff knows defense, and even though we are young there, the staff has the most athletically gifted group they've ever had a chance to work with.

If we are within 14 points of LSU, you walk out of the dome confidently.

Granted, the final score isn't always a great indicator of game flow, but if we play well, limit mistakes, and stay within two touchdowns, I will take it.

Granted, the final score isn't always a great indicator of game flow, but if we play well, limit mistakes, and stay within two touchdowns, I will take it.
Ill accept nothing less of flawless victory.

donniesyracuse said:
Gamblers who wager enough money to influence betting lines will look at whom the teams played. Will you at least admit that if the game is played tomorrow, USF is favored?

Only due to HF. And I'd bet they might make it 1 or a pick em.

I think you guys are thinking about the USF teams from yesteryear... They played a much worse conference last season and stunk it up. Look at the O/D numbers.

Only due to HF. And I'd bet they might make it 1 or a pick em.

I think you guys are thinking about the USF teams from yesteryear... They played a much worse conference last season and stunk it up. Look at the O/D numbers.

At the end of the day the USF game is potentially a wash. Regardless off their opponents vs ours going into that game, nobody who objectively analyzes that game can say SU should win it. USF is just as likely to win that game as we are.

It seems like sometimes people haven't watched any of our OOC games the last few years. Our defense has made backup QB's look like Russell Wilson, backup RB's have run it down our throats, run of the mill offensive lines have controlled D-Line and these have been the OOC games. I haven't even mentioned last years offense yet.

In what world is SU favored before the season against USF? It makes no sense at all. We haven't shown anything to prove that we are the better team.

You guys currently have 10 rookies on NFL rosters. Just because guys weren't drafted underclassmen, doesn't mean they weren't good/important players, and key losses.

Source: http://bigeasybeliever.com/2015/07/21/lsu-players-heading-nfl-training-camps/

When we scored over 30 points last year, it was before our whole offense got injured and that was in a bad scheme for our players. This years scheme will be a better fit, and we expect better results. Shafer seems excited about it.

We are also at home in what will be a sell out game.

And concerning our defense, just look at our defensive staffs track record. That will tell you all you need to know. This staff knows defense, and even though we are young there, the staff has the most athletically gifted group they've ever had a chance to work with.

No question that some LSU fans are suffering from delusions. IMO the biggest one is that we won't miss the two DEs that went to the NFL. That comes from a lot of disappointment that they didn't rack up a lot of sacks last year. However, they had about 130 total tackles between the two of them, which is a lot for defensive linemen. The guys behind them are unproven and, after QB, the position I'm most concerned about.

But if you go on an LSU board you'll see lots of fans are dismissing that and are sure the new guys will be better than the old guys.

At the end of the day the USF game is potentially a wash. Regardless off their opponents vs ours going into that game, nobody who objectively analyzes that game can say SU should win it. USF is just as likely to win that game as we are.

It seems like sometimes people haven't watched any of our OOC games the last few years. Our defense has made backup QB's look like Russell Wilson, backup RB's have run it down our throats, run of the mill offensive lines have controlled D-Line and these have been the OOC games. I haven't even mentioned last years offense yet.

In what world is SU favored before the season against USF? It makes no sense at all. We haven't shown anything to prove that we are the better team.
This has been my position from the beginning. Due to last year we are acting way too confidently about the @ USF game. I feel like we will be improved because we have to be, but until we show it on the field there is no way we would anything more than a pick'em right now because the game is on the road.

I feel like we should win this game, but I see it more of a 60-40% type game rather than sure win. Some want to say we have to improve, but ignore that USF tore it down to the core and this is year 3 of that rebuild while Syracuse has never been in rebuild mode these past few years.

Only due to HF.
Exactly! The teams are basically pretty-close until we see otherwise, but USF is favored because of home-field. I'm not sure why you have been putting up such a fight with this.

If we're at least within a TD when the 4th quarter starts, you have to feel really good. I think their OL and Fournette are going to abuse us, and that's not the worst thing in the world (they're going to abuse everyone). But given our young and green DTs, a MLB who we all think is going to be a star one day but is realistically only a true sophomore right now, and a young and green set of safeties, it just doesn't line up well for us against that power running game.

Regroup, and get to 4-1 next game against USF.

Or beat LSU and drink enough so that the USF game isn't even remembered (by me, not the team).

Looking to the future I'd agree that the schedule isn't going to get easier, but on the same token I don't think it gets substantially harder.

Being an optimist I'm looking at the schedule this year and really think we could/should start the season 3-0. Going into the LSU game we should have confidence if undefeated and I see it being competitive. I don't see us winning but as long as we don't get embarrassed I feel good about it.

@USF in week 6 is huge. Coming off a bye week and it's a very winnable game. A coin flip game that I say the Orange prevail in.

@UVA is another winnable game. They're predicted preseason last in the Coastal. I'll say coin flip game again with advantage to Virginia at home.

vs Pitt. We got killed by them last year, but are they really that much better than us? At the Dome I see no reason why we can't win this game.

@FSU sucks for us but some good news about this. They have a stretch of games of: vs Miami, vs Louisville, @ Georgia Tech, vs Syracuse, @ Clemson the following week. I smell trap game for a team that isn't the National Title contender they've been the previous years.

@Louisville I feel good about. I currently live in Louisville (and despise Louisville athletics). Listening to terrible sports talk on my way home from work they've mentioned on more than one occasion about getting revenge on UVA who upset them last year. They play UVA the week after they play us. Let's hope they no show and are looking ahead to the following week. Wouldn't mind repeating 2012 and hanging 45 on them again.

vs Clemson I have nothing good to say. I just hope to be 6-3 or 5-4 heading into this game.

@NC State doesn't scare me. They'll be the favorite but have archrival UNC on deck the following week and we can hang with them.

vs BC is another middle of the road ACC team. At home in the season finale, I like our odds.

As an optimist I wouldn't be shocked if we have a hell of a year and go 8-4 or 7-5.

As a life long Syracuse fan I wouldn't be shocked if we go 2-10 or 3-9.

Go Orange!

Looking to the future I'd agree that the schedule isn't going to get easier, but on the same token I don't think it gets substantially harder.

Being an optimist I'm looking at the schedule this year and really think we could/should start the season 3-0. Going into the LSU game we should have confidence if undefeated and I see it being competitive. I don't see us winning but as long as we don't get embarrassed I feel good about it.

@USF in week 6 is huge. Coming off a bye week and it's a very winnable game. A coin flip game that I say the Orange prevail in.

@UVA is another winnable game. They're predicted preseason last in the Coastal. I'll say coin flip game again with advantage to Virginia at home.

vs Pitt. We got killed by them last year, but are they really that much better than us? At the Dome I see no reason why we can't win this game.

@FSU sucks for us but some good news about this. They have a stretch of games of: vs Miami, vs Louisville, @ Georgia Tech, vs Syracuse, @ Clemson the following week. I smell trap game for a team that isn't the National Title contender they've been the previous years.

@Louisville I feel good about. I currently live in Louisville (and despise Louisville athletics). Listening to terrible sports talk on my way home from work they've mentioned on more than one occasion about getting revenge on UVA who upset them last year. They play UVA the week after they play us. Let's hope they no show and are looking ahead to the following week. Wouldn't mind repeating 2012 and hanging 45 on them again.

vs Clemson I have nothing good to say. I just hope to be 6-3 or 5-4 heading into this game.

@NC State doesn't scare me. They'll be the favorite but have archrival UNC on deck the following week and we can hang with them.

vs BC is another middle of the road ACC team. At home in the season finale, I like our odds.

As an optimist I wouldn't be shocked if we have a hell of a year and go 8-4 or 7-5.

As a life long Syracuse fan I wouldn't be shocked if we go 2-10 or 3-9.

Go Orange!
I can go along with your scenario except for Louisville. I think that we are toast on their field.

I can go along with your scenario except for Louisville. I think that we are toast on their field.

Fair enough. That is definitely a stretch but living in Louisville I really don't want to deal with having to listen to these idiots so will pray for a W.

As far as P5 OOC games as discussed on this "thread", the ACC will require one in the near future (2016?) but that requirement can be satisfied by scheduling Indiana, Vanderbilt, Kansas, etc. A strong SU team (you are going to get there I think) would be favored to win such a game as those are not "powerhouse" programs for the foreseeable future*, for instance Duke defeated Kansas 41-7 last year at Wallace Wade Stadium, and in a year when you play ND per the ACC agreement with them you already meet the P5 requirement so I would not schedule a 2nd P5 game. After all, FSU and Clemson (and Louisville) are already on the schedule - every single year - and FSU and Clemson are still ranked as "top 5" programs in recruiting - and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future*. In the meantime I would play one 1-AA game against Colgate, Cornell (if the Ivy League permits it), and another NYS 1-AA team (rotate through the list as Clemson does to help in-state programs and gain favor and publicity as a "good guy" there helping them with $$$), one MAC team since they are in the "neighborhood" (sort of) but not the presumed strongest one, and do get a continuing home and home series with that military academy in West Point, NY - scheduling problems solved with increased publicity in NYS - and beyond.

* "Things are hard to predict, especially the future." - Oskar Morgenstern, Mathematica, Inc. on testifying before Congress in 1972 about the viability of the proposed Space Shuttle program.

qdawgg said:
At the end of the day the USF game is potentially a wash. Regardless off their opponents vs ours going into that game, nobody who objectively analyzes that game can say SU should win it. USF is just as likely to win that game as we are. It seems like sometimes people haven't watched any of our OOC games the last few years. Our defense has made backup QB's look like Russell Wilson, backup RB's have run it down our throats, run of the mill offensive lines have controlled D-Line and these have been the OOC games. I haven't even mentioned last years offense yet. In what world is SU favored before the season against USF? It makes no sense at all. We haven't shown anything to prove that we are the better team.

No where did I say before the season we'd be favored. My point has been this: they sucked last year and have a rough OOC and will be carrying 3 losses (or 4) into the game. Vegas and everyone else will think that they still suck. We'll have beaten a bunch of teams only losing to LSU (hopefully). By then I'm betting on our offense is looking competent. And our young defense will look as good as last year's D.

I have no idea what games you've been watching OOC. What backup QB or RB has torched us in the Shafer era?

As far as P5 OOC games as discussed on this "thread", the ACC will require one in the near future (2016?) but that requirement can be satisfied by scheduling Indiana, Vanderbilt, Kansas, etc. A strong SU team (you are going to get there I think) would be favored to win such a game as those are not "powerhouse" programs for the foreseeable future*, for instance Duke defeated Kansas 41-7 last year at Wallace Wade Stadium, and in a year when you play ND per the ACC agreement with them you already meet the P5 requirement so I would not schedule a 2nd P5 game. After all, FSU and Clemson (and Louisville) are already on the schedule - every single year - and FSU and Clemson are still ranked as "top 5" programs in recruiting - and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future*. In the meantime I would play one 1-AA game against Colgate, Cornell (if the Ivy League permits it), and another NYS 1-AA team (rotate through the list as Clemson does to help in-state programs and gain favor and publicity as a "good guy" there helping them with $$$), one MAC team since they are in the "neighborhood" (sort of) but not the presumed strongest one, and do get a continuing home and home series with that military academy in West Point, NY - scheduling problems solved with increased publicity in NYS - and beyond.

* "Things are hard to predict, especially the future." - Oskar Morgenstern, Mathematica, Inc. on testifying before Congress in 1972 about the viability of the proposed Space Shuttle program.

You really only want to play one FCS team a year (1-AA). Only one FCS victory a season can be used to count towards your 6 wins for bowl eligibility. Army has no desire as far as I can tell to play Syracuse every year. However, most of us on the board are in agreement we should try to play an Academy team (preferably Army or Navy) just about every year.

My ideal OOC schedule is a tad different:

1. ND, other Top draw P5 team H+H or at Meadowlands (our event driven, bandwagon fan base wants this)
2. beatable local G5 (UConn, Temple, UB, UMass)
3. Service Academy Team or Random SE USA G5 team (FIU/FAU/USF/UCF/GA ST/ODU) (lean towards the more winnable teams)
4. Random MAC team (2 for 1) UB, Akron, Kent St, EMU, Toledo, etc...)

All that said...items 2-4 won't happen every year as I would place a local NE/Mid Atlantic 1-AA on the schedule every season (Albany, Maine, Rhode Island, Georgetown, Nova, Stony Brook, Colgate, etc...)

Right, that's the reason I used the word "rotate" - pick one of the local 1-AA ("FCS") teams (preferably one from NYS in my opinion) every year, otherwise you experience the problem BC has this year. They filled a cancellation, the return home game with a 1-A team (New Mexico?) with a 2nd FCS team so now they have to win 7 games to be "bowl eligible". I recall that they had played out west for the 1st game in the 2 game series with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom