The so-called "Otto's Army" should be ashamed... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The so-called "Otto's Army" should be ashamed...

I think comparing our students in the Dome to Duke's at Cameron is a bit of an apple and oranges thing(forgive the pun). Cameron is a band box that holds under 9500. Our b'ball capacity tops 34000. Of course the smaller the venue, the fewer number of students it takes to look impressive. I'd love to put our student section in Cameron and see how it compares. I think we'd rock the house and then some. Another point, to the issue of late arriving students, it was a noon game people. These are students, most probably still in bed 15 minutes before tip-off.

I'm proud of our fan base. Especially this year when there is no post season. This team is a team of scrappers and I'm glad the Dome and all it's denizens are supporting their fight.
I always thought it would be cool to play one game a year in Manley - I never got to see a game there, I'm sure it was awesome being right on top of the action. I know everyone makes fun of it, but I went to Cuse Rutgers game and I really liked their facility.

I always thought it would be cool to play one game a year in Manley - I never got to see a game there, I'm sure it was awesome being right on top of the action. I know everyone makes fun of it, but I went to Cuse Rutgers game and I really liked their facility.

N.C. State plays a couple OOC games in the gym at Reynolds Coliseum, much more intimate than their home court at the PNC Center. Like the idea. I would love to take in a 'Cuse game at Manley, that would be epic.

It's the same thing i have always said. The students at SU arent fans for the most part. They go there to be seen and nothing else. Look at the football games...enough said. If the basketball team was in the post-season..those seats would be full because it's a "cool scene". Syracuse students are the worst in all of college sports in terms of being "fans". This is a new thing though, i would say going back about 12 years and it has gotten worse every year. Syracuse is a pro team, and the locals and out of towners who fill the stadium for all sports are the people that CARRY this program.

My God, what a horsesh!t statement. The "worst"? In "all of college sports"?!

Do you watch any other team play college sports? Like any, at all?

My God, what a horsesh!t statement. The "worst"? In "all of college sports"?!

Do you watch any other team play college sports? Like any, at all?
I'll give you B.C. ..ill give you that. I watch endless collegiate sports on every level...so yes, i watch probably more than most. Would it have made you feel better if i said the worst of all the power 5 conferences?

I'll give you B.C. ..ill give you that. I watch endless collegiate sports on every level...so yes, i watch probably more than most. Would it have made you feel better if i said the worst of all the power 5 conferences?

No, because that's still utterly ridiculous.

First, you don't get to define what "real fans" are, it's a silly, opinionated exercise. I'm a "real fan" and I haven't been to the Dome for a hoops game in a decade.

Second, SU students show up in numbers that very few other schools can match, particularly for hoops. People are whining that our students didn't entirely fill up the upper deck of their massive two-level section. Think about that for a minute. Half of the hoops schools of the ACC don't come close to filling up their student sections that are less than half the size of SU's. Since you're such a fan, did you see the attendance for our games at VaTech or Clemson? Were you agog over their passionate student section of ~200 kids?

No, because that's still utterly ridiculous.

First, you don't get to define what "real fans" are, it's a silly, opinionated exercise. I'm a "real fan" and I haven't been to the Dome for a hoops game in a decade.

Second, SU students show up in numbers that very few other schools can match, particularly for hoops. People are whining that our students didn't entirely fill up the upper deck of their massive two-level section. Think about that for a minute. Half of the hoops schools of the ACC don't come close to filling up their student sections that are less than half the size of SU's. Since you're such a fan, did you see the attendance for our games at VaTech or Clemson? Were you agog over their passionate student section of ~200 kids?
You kind of made my argument for me...you ARE a real fan because you haven't been to The Dome in over a decade...yet you still follow the team religiously. End of argument. These kids are 20 ft from the stadium..and don't go to games...and don't follow the team if they aren't in the Dome. End of discussion.

You kind of made my argument for me...you ARE a real fan because you haven't been to The Dome in over a decade...yet you still follow the team religiously. End of argument. These kids are 20 ft from the stadium..and don't go to games...and don't follow the team if they aren't in the Dome. End of discussion.

You know this how, exactly?

On a site full of presumptuous blowhards, you are the biggest.

See what I did there?!

You know this how, exactly?

On a site full of presumptuous blowhards, you are the biggest.

See what I did there?!
Having gone to the school, and had endless friends, family members and colleagues who both attended AND worked at the University...it's pretty general knowledge that the student base there are not fans for the large majority of the sports teams here. Are there exceptions...sure man there are some sprinkled in there.

I don't know what the students are like these days since I'm getting old and feeble, seeing as I graduated 12 years ago. But I will say that at least half, probably closer to 75% of the students I knew at SU were fans of other teams who only went to some games if they were against name opponents. One of my best friends was a Carolina fan for hoops, and Penn State for football (and he was from Long Island, so he quite possibly SHOULD have been an SU fan). He couldn't care less about SU, even after four years there. I knew a lot of students like that.

That being said - at least half, and probably more, became lifelong fans during their time at SU. Two of my other best friends - one from Detroit who was a big Notre Dame fan (his brother went there) and Michigan State (because, ya know, Detroit), and one from Boston, became two of the biggest SU fans I know. A third, from Philadelphia, has remained a big fan of SU as well despite not really giving a rat's arse about SU before getting to the school.

So as others have said, I think it's unrealistic to expect students to get to SU as fans. Most of them are local, and hell, even the people who aren't from CNY, like me, have connections that caused us to become fans at an early age (like my dad being from CNY).

I don't know what I'm trying to get at here, except I know it's kind of bizarre that THIS group of students is so lukewarm on SU considering how many excellent teams they've gotten to watch over the last few years.

SU is the 5th most-popular college hoops team in the country. We don't get to that level of fan base without a gigantic chunk of alums being fans.

SU is the 5th most-popular college hoops team in the country. We don't get to that level of fan base without a gigantic chunk of alums being fans.

1 thing I have noticed... is that it becomes "cool" to be a fan after you graduate. I see pics on facebook or instagram all the time of people at MSG or back at the dome or at a bar watching the game that used to tease me for going to all of the games.

1 thing I have noticed... is that it becomes "cool" to be a fan after you graduate. I see pics on facebook or instagram all the time of people at MSG or back at the dome or at a bar watching the game that used to tease me for going to all of the games.

kind of what happened to me. I can't remember seeing many games in my two years at ESF, and I never once sat in the student section. Not sure why that happened, maybe I didn't feel like an SU student while there even though I took classes at SU as well. More on me than anything else.

if I had it all to over again, I would have been there every game. unless i was working. I did that a lot.

Yep.

Funny to see all this orange-wearing and Facebook-posting from people who never went to games during three years in law school.

You guys had COMPLETELY different experiences when it comes to SU fandom than I did when I was a student.

Like polar opposites.

Yeah, I see some similar stuff to this. I was a student when we were in the NIT against Butler in the Dome, and only about 5k people showed up. Not a single other one of my friends wanted to go, so I went alone. They missed out, that was a terrific basketball game. But even the guys in my group who claimed to be fans had no desire to go support the team. And now a lot of them talk about SU hoops constantly on Facebook, despite the fact that there are some I don't recall ever seeing at games when we were students.

Part of the problem under the old system (I was there in the late 90s) was the ticket location was based on seniority. Upperclassman got the sweet seats across from the SU bench. Since that system didn't account at all for "harcoreness" I think it produced uneven results. A kid whose parents bought them season tickets every year even though they hardly ever went to games would have better seats than kids that would camp out in the snow to sit there. No system is perfect, but that was the glaring flaw with that one because there were a lot of cases where parents bought tickets for students that didn't really care about the games.

Part of the problem under the old system (I was there in the late 90s) was the ticket location was based on seniority. Upperclassman got the sweet seats across from the SU bench. Since that system didn't account at all for "harcoreness" I think it produced uneven results. A kid whose parents bought them season tickets every year even though they hardly ever went to games would have better seats than kids that would camp out in the snow to sit there. No system is perfect, but that was the glaring flaw with that one because there were a lot of cases where parents bought tickets for students that didn't really care about the games.
And I ran into a situation where a bunch of us had tickets for years, but because we got tickets with friends who were getting it for the first time, we were pushed back.

And I ran into a situation where a bunch of us had tickets for years, but because we got tickets with friends who were getting it for the first time, we were pushed back.

I like your avatar, I was friends with some of the guys that did Otis Hill's "O-Zone" way up in the bleachers.

You need to watch some SEC games that aren't played at Kentucky. I think I've seen games where Georgia had less than 8 students in attendance.

I think because once you enter the real world (i.e. cities not in upstate NY) you start to meet people from B10 country, or other places, and see how insanely passionate they are about their schools and the sports. You sort of fall in line and create that allegiance - a tad too late, but better late than never. I was blown away when I went to a B10 school (I've lived in a couple B10 college towns) how nutty those people were. I mean THEY love their schools. LOVE. It's borderline weird.

I understand why, but it would be cooler if the students sat courtside instead of behind the basket. Oh well.

Look at all of those empty seats behind the SU bench! The well-heeled, Indiana-area SU boosters should be ASHAMED!!!

I like your avatar, I was friends with some of the guys that did Otis Hill's "O-Zone" way up in the bleachers.
Thanks - that's a real street in Hingham Ma

You need to watch some SEC games that aren't played at Kentucky. I think I've seen games where Georgia had less than 8 students in attendance.
Do i really NEED to? Really?