The stipend payout is pretty big deal | Syracusefan.com

The stipend payout is pretty big deal

PhatOrange

Living Legend
How Syracuse calculates they will only pay an athlete about $1800 bucks while Tennessee is set to pay their athletes nearly $6000 is crazy.

Even Zaire pointedly says it will factor into recruiting. most everything being equal a kid is going to take the 5000 grand from school A over 2000 grand from school B.

Has something to do with the way each school calculates cost of attendance; there's not a unified process.

but that's stupid - like real stupid. How about this cap the schools payout to 2500 per year. Put the other 1,ooo with an ncaa match in an IRA for each player.

$6,000 cost of attendance is ridiculous, I don't care where you go to school. I probably didn't spend $6,000 in my 4 years of undergrad combined, and I didn't get all the free perks that high level D1 athletes get.

It factors in things such as travel to and from campus, which is why it's often higher for "out of the way" schools and while that is understandable, for athletics it's an issue.

$6,000 cost of attendance is ridiculous, I don't care where you go to school. I probably didn't spend $6,000 in my 4 years of undergrad combined, and I didn't get all the free perks that high level D1 athletes get.

You also didn't have to go through what they do. Also the "fill in the blank" School of "blank" doesnt participate in a 1 billion dollar industry. I am fully in support of paying these kids something. It has to be equal across board or it will create an inequity.

You also didn't have to go through what they do. Also the "fill in the blank" School of "blank" doesnt participate in a 1 billion dollar industry. I am fully in support of paying these kids something. It has to be equal across board or it will create an inequity.
Those rural schools like Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, etc. need all the help they can get to remain competitive on the national stage. I'm surprised it's only $6,000.

How Syracuse calculates they will only pay an athlete about $1800 bucks while Tennessee is set to pay their athletes nearly $6000 is crazy.

Even Zaire pointedly says it will factor into recruiting. most everything being equal a kid is going to take the 5000 grand from school A over 2000 grand from school B.

Yeah, I was shocked at the disparity between schools. This is such BS. Make it a flat rate for all D1 schools. This is just ridiculous. We have one of the lowest stipends in the country.

It doesn't matter how much kids like a staff or appreciate the academics. A lot of these kids and their families will see the difference in dollars, and it won't be much of a choice.

It factors in things such as travel to and from campus, which is why it's often higher for "out of the way" schools and while that is understandable, for athletics it's an issue.

travel for what. I had to think about this for a while? to get home? so parents can watch? I mean you know what would help...If johnny 5* from NYC didn't go willfully to USC to play football.

Shoot even with my aspirations to play hockey I contemplated going to Univ of Hawaii for golf. My parents were like no way. Couldn't afford to fly me there and back,

travel for what. I had to think about this for a while? to get home? so parents can watch? I mean you know what would help...If johnny 5* from NYC didn't go willfully to USC to play football.

Shoot even with my aspirations to play hockey I contemplated going to Univ of Hawaii for golf. My parents were like no way. Couldn't afford to fly me there and back,

COA is calculated for all students so it includes travel to and from campus for each semester. It has nothing to do with the student being an athlete and while I don't know the specific formula used, it's not based on the individual's hometown.

Even though getting to and from Syracuse is a chore, there are lots of east coast connections. I don't know if the same can be said for Starkville, MS?

Also, this is why I don't favor a COA stipend. I would rather see the P5 get together and agree upon a flat amount for all scholarship students, and to allow students to get money for use of their likeness, which would go into an account to be paid upon leaving the school- with a bonus included for graduation.

The number is the posted cost of attendance. The ACC decided what ever a school says is the cost of attendance prior to this year is what the payout would be. The costs include the average cost to travel home food etc. the numbers for Syracuse are low and will hurt recruiting but I am sure this will be addressed at some level soon

COA is calculated for all students so it includes travel to and from campus for each semester. It has nothing to do with the student being an athlete and while I don't know the specific formula used, it's not based on the individual's hometown.

Even though getting to and from Syracuse is a chore, there are lots of east coast connections. I don't know if the same can be said for Starkville, MS?
There's Greyhound.

unregulated student athletes stipends. This is the dumbest shi- i've heard in a while from the NCAA.

Let's hope this never comes about, or we can say goodbye to any hopes of ever being competitive again. How could anyone (NCAA/ACC) possibly think this is fair? A couple hundred dollar difference no big deal. A $4,200/yr, a huge difference.

How do you prevent boosters from paying these kids more than they are actually worth. Like, what's stopping Phil Knight from paying kids $100,000 a year to wear Nike gear?
Easy way to regulate this. Any merchandize/autographs would be sold by the schools and the schools would be the only ones able to pay the players.
If fan bases want to pay for their players autographs/jerseys etc. those players would be compensated by the schools.
Any payments not from the schools would be impermissible and no bulk sales would be allowed. If 100 people show up or 100,000 people show up that is the money generated. Players in revenue sports deserve a little more than the non-revenue sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom