The stipend payout is pretty big deal | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The stipend payout is pretty big deal

I think what happened here as the person who ordered the Bowie jersey was the very same person who moved the decimal point one spot too far to the left,time to make it right;)

An easy solution would be to stop awarding athletic scholarships at academic institutions... Oh wait.

The conferences or ncaa should subsidize all COA payouts so that every kid in every P5 school gets the same dollar amount. If the number is determined to be 5K and SU pays 1600 then they should make up the difference.

Possibly from then profit generated by the NCAA tourney. Or the new national championship tourney that generates about 17 Kabullion dollars.

Last edited:
The conferences or ncaa should subsidize all COA payouts so that every kid in every P5 school gets the same dollar amount. If the number is determined to be 5K and SU pays 1600 then they should make up the difference.

Possibly from then profit generated by the NCAA tourney. Or the new national championship tourney that generates about 17 Kabullion dollars.

With subsidies comes more control. Not sure if that's a good idea, either.

So what happens when one of P5 teams thats loosing money starts bouncing checks to their players?

So what happens when one of P5 teams thats loosing money starts bouncing checks to their players?
I'm actually hoping that happens. Let's get the schools out of paying players.

Private schools clearly sharpen the pencil on this to keep apps and enrollment up and this COA number low.

Also I wonder how many extras are included at SU where at the state U it is all parceled out as extras that are not required unless you want to do something, read anything. This would keep the non COA number as low as possible for low income in state students.

I looked at Tenn, their pre 2013 number is similar to this year. However their student fee structure is huge and complicated. I'm guessing the number is not sharpened and you'd burn through the cash faster.
Ottoble has got it right. COA is based on numbers reported by each school to the Federal government. Private schools have to keep this as low as possible so kids (and parents) prospecting for colleges aren't scared off.

The answer has been proposed on several sites. Have a ceiling placed on COA by the NCAA since they legislated the rule.

Just pay a stipend to all scholarship athletes at a set amount and don't use the COA to determine. Set it at something like $4-5k per year and adjust for partial scholarships. The P5 schools can get the money from licensing video games and memorabilia with the athletes likeness.

If the athlete doesn't want to give the rights to their likeness, they can opt out and not receive the stipend. Problem solved.

Just pay a stipend to all scholarship athletes at a set amount and don't use the COA to determine. Set it at something like $4-5k per year and adjust for partial scholarships. The P5 schools can get the money from licensing video games and memorabilia with the athletes likeness.

If the athlete doesn't want to give the rights to their likeness, they can opt out and not receive the stipend. Problem solved.
Can't wait to see the EA Sports lacrosse, swimming and cheerleading video games. They're sure to be big sellers. ;)

A lacrosse game would probably sell pretty well- especially if you had All-Time teams available to play.

And I know you're joking, but Utah W. Gymnastics drew an average of 14,950 for home meets. I would imagine they sell a fair amount of gear at those meats. There are Olympic sports which are very marketable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom