THE SUPER OFFICIAL, FOOTBALL-TALK THREAD

Will
Will
5mikelowrey.jpg

Mike
upload_2014-8-1_12-41-25.jpeg

Sam
images

Anyone recall the Giants of the mid 80's? Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson and Carl Banks; LT, HC and CB. When Carl Banks is the weak side linebacker, you know you have a great crew. Just a suggestion as to how our LBs should be identified.

Anyone recall the Giants of the mid 80's? Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson and Carl Banks; LT, HC and CB. When Carl Banks is the weak side linebacker, you know you have a great crew. Just a suggestion as to how our LBs should be identified.
Gary Reasons, Pepper Johnson, Steve DeOssie, Byron Hunt and Andy Headen are upset at your omittance.

since we are talking football, certain plays and now the Giants...a great Bill Parcells story on LT is this: after a # of his wild rushes to successfully sack the QB as a rookie, the Tuna says to him "Lawrence, thats like the 3rd time youve done that...and we dont even have THAT in the playbook".

to which LT replied "then you better put it in".

Last edited:
So, I can't remember ever seeing us run a Statue of Liberty play. Have we? What are the odds that THIS will be the year?!?!?

Gary Reasons, Pepper Johnson, Steve DeOssie, Byron Hunt and Andy Headen are upset at your omittance.

since we are talking football, certain plays and now the Giants...a great Bill Parcells story on LT is this: after a # of his wild rushes to successfully sack the QB as a rookie, the Tuna says to him "Lawrence, thats like the 3rd time youve done that...and we dont even have THAT in the playbook".

to which LT replied "then you better put it in".
Great names in the history of the NYG. I should have included them, hat tip to you.

Really excited to see what Cornelius can do this year. He was absolute money towards the end of 2013. One of the reasons SU beat BC.

So, I can't remember ever seeing us run a Statue of Liberty play. Have we? What are the odds that THIS will be the year?!?!?

In recent years they've tried to say that the Statue of Liberty play is what Boise State did to Oklahoma, ala Jared Zabransky and Ian Johnson. That has never been how the play was described to me years and years ago.

The teams with McNabb at the helm definitely ran my definition of it. I can't remember seeing Syracuse run it earlier than that though. Play action with a fake dive, fake reverse then a long ball; that's the classic Statue of Liberty baby. The quarterback standing like a statue after the fakes.

Shafer has had twenty years to think about what he would do as a head coach. So far, he seems have some strong ideas about what he wants to do but he is also capable of learning and adjusting quickly.

Shafer has done some things the same as Marrone and some things differently. Aside from recruiting this year, what else has Shafer done differently than Doug? (BTW this isn't meant to be a comparison of coaching ability becasue the situations were completely different.)