The Talk | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Talk

Are people expecting Bell to either lose his starting role and come off the bench or transfer? I don’t see either happening.
I'm rooting hard for Red, but the reality is he only gets a few years to prove he can do this, and he's gambling with his job if he doesn't try to get a better starting SF during those years. Same can be said about him not recruiting over others too.

Westry at 3.
I was high on him when he committed here and still am but I don't think you can count on him when building the team. If he is healthy, great, but it is just too risky to approach the offseason planning on him being a contributor.

It sucks for Chance and obviously I hope he is finally healthy next season.

My problem with this roster by player
Bell: can shoot stationary threes, cant defend, doesn't rebound, can't dribble
Hima: no offensive game, knee pain
Taylor: stiff, slow, gets beat regularly if a screen is set on him. Can't get shot off
Benny: crazy athleticism, attitude problem, doesn't defend well at all, misses bunnies
Cuffe: poor poor mans Kyle Lowry
Carey: Patriot league backup
Mintz: gets to the foul line, falls to the ground too much, our best player.
Westry: busted knee 2x, might be good... Who knows?
Maliq: great defender, playing out of position, elite pick pocket ability
Copeland: has crazy good moments but also has crazy bad moments
Patterson: the only tape we have of him is pick up ball
Mcleod: limited O, slow to rebound and defend.

It feels like Westry is a more polished Q and Q is a more athletic (higher ceiling) version of Westry. It will be fun to have both going forward

I was high on him when he committed here and still am but I don't think you can count on him when building the team. If he is healthy, great, but it is just too risky to approach the offseason planning on him being a contributor.

It sucks for Chance and obviously I hope he is finally healthy next season.
He’s not fixing our shooting either.

I think Mcleod can stay as a back up but we need to recruit over him for a starter. And I want someone at either the 4 or 5 that can be physical. We are soft.

Loosely related. During the Kansas game it was reported one of their players, I think it was a forward, gained 15 lbs of muscle and added 5" to his vertical taking it to 39". When will that happen to one of our players?
He was essentially a backup getting starts anyway, so I'm okay with him returning, provided he can get healthy again. He does provide a different look when he's on the floor, and is a superior shot blocker.

Yeah, I love Maliq, but as others have said multiple times, he doesn’t play above the rim. Saw that a couple times last night. He does everything else well on the defensive end, but we need more in terms of shot blocking and getting way up for alley oops.
And he's not big enough to bang with physical players or skilled enough to create his own shot. He does a lot of things well, which makes him a great role player. We just need a true number 1 guy for him to play off of or for him to make a big jump in his skills. Neither of those can happen this year.

Players we need to replace next year ---

Mintz (NBA)
Cuffe
Bell
Taylor
McLeod
Benny
Patterson
Carey
Copeland
Hima

These players are either too one-dimensional to be a big-time P5 starter or too inconsistent. I understand that we will not turn the roster over that much but that is who needs to be replaced...

If they want to stay they need to be recruited over and be open to an off-the-bench role otherwise peace.

Foundation for next year

JJ - Westry - Brown - Freeman - Moore

And he's not big enough to bang with physical players or skilled enough to create his own shot. He does a lot of things well, which makes him a great role player. We just need a true number 1 guy for him to play off of or for him to make a big jump in his skills. Neither of those can happen this year.
Him next to a good center would be fun to watch. And would allow him to move outside, which he seems to enjoy. He could be a much more skilled 4 than Benny without the emotional baggage.

We need some mid-major 6'10"ish inside guy, there are plenty of those.
I don't know how many of those guys there are but you'd have to think that Syracuse would be an attractive landing spot for someone like that. There would be lots of playing time available.

This off-season, I'd expect multiple players to get "the talk." Here's who I'd expect [in descending order of likelihood]:

1. Carey
2. Hima

3. McLeod
4. Taylor

5. Benny
6. Cuffe

I don't necessarily think that the bottom two will get the talk [although they might opt to leave]. I don't necessarily think the middle two will get the talk, either, but they probably should be in consideration.

The coaching staff needs to replace some of these guys with higher caliber players.

Talk or whatever, the center position has to be fully flipped minus maybe keeping one. I honestly thought Carey showed some promise. McCleod and Hima just don't look reliable. We need new players here.

JT has to decide if he wants to ride it out here.

Benny has to be in good enough standing to come back.

Cuffe should be back.

JJ, Westry (if healthy), Donnie, Bell, Maliq. Ideally we would have another impact wing and another guard.

Mintz (NBA)
Cuffe
Bell
Taylor
McLeod
Benny
Patterson
Carey
Copeland
Hima

These players are either too one-dimensional to be a big-time P5 starter or too inconsistent. I understand that we will not turn the roster over that much but that is who needs to be replaced...

If they want to stay they need to be recruited over and be open to an off-the-bench role otherwise peace.

Foundation for next year

Any you know Westry is better than Copeland, how?

I'm rooting hard for Red, but the reality is he only gets a few years to prove he can do this, and he's gambling with his job if he doesn't try to get a better starting SF during those years. Same can be said about him not recruiting over others too.
Same. I hope he and his staff understand their roster’s potential much better than we do, and are confident of the needed improvements. but I’d be lying if I said I was confident these guys will all develop to close their weaknesses. I don’t see it and it concerns me.

Any you know Westry is better than Copeland, how?

Because I have seen Copeland play he is way too inconsistent to be counted on from game to game for a serious high-level P5 team. Westry stays because I don't know what he will provide or not provide yet and I do know what Copeland will provide.

If we are serious about getting back to where we were then we need to be serious about the caliber of player we bring in and I get it Copeland plays hard and everyone loves him but be real he is not logging minutes for any high-level teams and that is just the truth. Maybe 9th-10th dude off the bench if we are being honest with ourselves.

Talk or whatever, the center position has to be fully flipped minus maybe keeping one. I honestly thought Carey showed some promise. McCleod and Hima just don't look reliable. We need new players here.

JT has to decide if he wants to ride it out here.

Benny has to be in good enough standing to come back.

Cuffe should be back.

JJ, Westry (if healthy), Donnie, Bell, Maliq. Ideally we would have another impact wing and another guard.
I think this is accurate - I think McCleod impacts games more than he is given credit for so I think he stays, Hima and Carey need to be moved on from.

We need to move on from Taylor and Benny too, and portal over Bell limiting his role to off the bench shooter. Personally I am not counting on Westry to do anything as he hasn't shown anything. He will be an added bonus.

We need a 3 - score, shoot a little, handle, and compete. Find him, pay him and let's go.

Mintz (NBA)
Cuffe
Bell
Taylor
McLeod
Benny
Patterson
Carey
Copeland
Hima

Foundation for next year

Lmao 10 players!?

I don’t think anyone does. My guess is that the starters next season are JJ, Chance, Bell, Freeman and Brown.

And I’m not excited about that lineup.
I think that lineup has the potential to be pretty good. Need some improvement out of those guys but that isn't out of the question. I would like a portal 3 ahead of Bell. Someone a little bit more physical. A glue guy.

I don’t think anyone does. My guess is that the starters next season are JJ, Chance, Bell, Freeman and Brown.

And I’m not excited about that lineup.

My guess [without knowing about any future transfers in]:

JJ, Moore, Westry, Freeman, Brown.

Are people expecting Bell to either lose his starting role and come off the bench or transfer? I don’t see either happening.
You tell him and Taylor you're recruiting over them and it's their choice to stay or leave.

Valid point to be made: Red does not have the luxury of time on his side, and I'm sure he knows that. With the plug-and-play nature of the portal, these jobs are 3, maybe 4 year auditions. The whole "recruiting class" period of time given to coaches is out the window. Clock has started, how will he adapt?

I think that lineup has the potential to be pretty good. Need some improvement out of those guys but that isn't out of the question. I would like a portal 3 ahead of Bell. Someone a little bit more physical. A glue guy.
3 of those names have never played in an SU uniform or set foot in college. Lots of speculation.

The one thing almost everyone agrees on is the need for a portal SF. This is Syracuse. We're offering a starting position. We should aim for something higher than glue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom