The Tez Walker Saga... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Tez Walker Saga...

Tez Walker had his appeal denied. Glad we won’t face him but beyond that, what a stupid and callous decision by the dopes at the NCAA
What was the story on it again? Was it a legitimate case?

What was the story on it again? Was it a legitimate case?
He had already transferred once before. From what I have read most second time transfers who want immediate eligibility have to prove they have physical injuries or mental health issues that make it necessary to transfer.

On Jan. 11, the NCAA announced it would be cracking down on allowing waivers for two-time transfers, two days after Walker began classes at North Carolina. The guidelines, which were unanimously approved by the Division I Council, state "multiple-time transfers who cannot demonstrate and adequately document a personal need for medical or safety reasons to depart the previous school are not eligible to compete immediately following their second undergraduate transfer."

He had already transferred once before. From what I have read most second time transfers who want immediate eligibility have to prove they have physical injuries or mental health issues that make it necessary to transfer.
So... I would say that's not really a legitimate case, unless there was a necessity to transfer like described.

So... I would say that's not really a legitimate case, unless there was a necessity to transfer like described.
He transferred from NC Central when they weren’t even playing football due to COVID. I think that should be enough of a waiver, personally. That transfer shouldn’t even count.

Apparently both of his previous schools said he was receiving mental health services, and so did UNC.

If i remember correctly his issue was unique in that it was his second transfer but his first transfer was during COVID leaving a school that was not going to have football that season. But I don't see how you transfer and hope it works out without getting a statement from the NCAA that said that would be an exception to the rule. To leave was risky. I wouldn't be surprised though if UNC went to him through back channels and said come to the portal and we'll take you. It'll all be fine. You'll be cleared to play!

He transferred from NC Central when they weren’t even playing football due to COVID. I think that should be enough of a waiver, personally. That transfer shouldn’t even count.

Apparently both of his previous schools said he was receiving mental health services, and so did UNC.
If i remember correctly his issue was unique in that it was his second transfer but his first transfer was during COVID leaving a school that was not going to have football that season. But I don't see how you transfer and hope it works out without getting a statement from the NCAA that said that would be an exception to the rule. To leave was risky. I wouldn't be surprised though if UNC went to him through back channels and said come to the portal and we'll take you. It'll all be fine. You'll be cleared to play!
Ah, yeah, the COVID transfer aspect is way more legitimate.

That's different than a dude just hopping schools because. Which is what it sounded like at first.

Anyway, yeah, if this is part of the cost of UNC's paper courses it sucks for this dude but I say that ledger still requires some balancing, gnome sayin'?

Tez Walker had his appeal denied. Glad we won’t face him but beyond that, what a stupid and callous decision by the dopes at the NCAA

If you’re looking for another SU silver lining on this one, the less 2nd transfers having instant eligibility the better for us. When they transfer here, we need them to stay.

I’d like them to close the grad transfer loop on 2nd transfers too. Unless they come here of course.

I shed no tears for UNC, but for the kid whose first transfer was from a school that didn’t play during the Covid year? That’s not fair to him.

If you’re looking for another SU silver lining on this one, the less 2nd transfers having instant eligibility the better for us. When they transfer here, we need them to stay.

I’d like them to close the grad transfer loop on 2nd transfers too. Unless they come here of course.

I shed no tears for UNC, but for the kid whose first transfer was from a school that didn’t play during the Covid year? That’s not fair to him.
But He was allowed to transfer from his first school. The rules were set. Whatever the reason you get one free. That’s better than it always was. No second transfer so he shouldn’t have expected a waiver. He was doing well football wise at his second school. I don’t feel that bad for him.

I’m glad the rules are finally being enforced evenly. Under the former ncaa president he would have granted nc and FSt transfer because it would improve their season and ratings. Certain teams always got a benefit over others. Thankfully that is changing. The nc player knew that second transfers had to sit out. The only change after he transferred is ncaa schools limited the exceptions for a waiver. Under the original rules when he transferred to Kent st he would have had sit out. Immediate eligibility changed that situation. The change for second time transfer was to try to stop complete unlimited free agency.
People are acting like the player is being thrown out of school. That is not true. He gets to stay at nc, take classes, be with his teammates. He just has to sit out this season.
Maybe that the rules are now being enforced it may stop kids jumping to multiple schools. In 25 Covid extra year will end which will also slow down multiple transfers.
Peoples will have different opinions but I feel rules enacted by the member schools need to be enforced evenly to all schools and players.

His situation is a strange convoluted one. “Walker originally signed with East Tennessee State out of high school but was ultimately dropped after suffering a knee injury and took a gap year (2019). East Tennessee St postponed his scholarship a year so he could recover from the injury. One year later, he decided to enroll at NC Central instead, but was unable to play after the Eagles canceled their season due to the pandemic(2020) . Without ever playing college football, Walker ultimately transferred to Kent State playing for them two years, in 2021 and 2022).” Then of course for 2023, he transferred to UNC.

"We will of course be asking Tez for a prompt return of the Gucci bag stuffed with Benjamins that our friendly Carolina booster club delivered now that his services will not be available to our fine Tarheel family."
NIL cannot be contingent on playing

Hey if it's really about the student athlete he can use this year to hit the books, get ahead in his classes, use the mental health services to get himself mentally healthy, and learn the system and playbook so that next year he can excel on the field with that being his primary focus.

Right?

If they truly cared, they would use this as an opportunity to truly set the guy up for success off the field so that when he is back on it he will be better positioned to get drafted and make more money. And if he doesn't get drafted, he has that UNC degree.

I know we all hate NC but c’mon. The kid left a school that canceled its season and then left a school whose coach(the legendary Tall Man) left to go to Colorado. He’s from NC, he legitimately has an ailing grandparent and it is documented that the kid has been getting mental health treatment during his entire college career. Yes he gets to go to class and be close to his grandmother and family but this seems like a really strange time for the dopes at the NCAA to put their foot down for once. If this were our player we would be burning down NCAA headquarters

I like the grad transfer freedom. If you earn a degree, you fulfilled the commitment.

I think the better pathway is all student-athletes are five to play five. One transfer exempt from sitting, a graduate can transfer again without sitting. But it's a 5 year eligibility clock from the moment the student enrolls.

I like the grad transfer freedom. If you earn a degree, you fulfilled the commitment.

I think the better pathway is all student-athletes are five to play five. One transfer exempt from sitting, a graduate can transfer again without sitting. But it's a 5 year eligibility clock from the moment the student enrolls.

Fine, but we get to veto any grad transfer that wants to leave.

Just us, not everyone else.

It would be good for them to standardize it, and then not have to hear appeals.

the-goon-dodgeball.gif

I wonder how the initial NLI that UNC player initially signed for the 2019 season with East Tennessee St affected his appeal and then leaving a college in North Carolina to go to a 3rd college in Ohio- Kent St?

He signed a NLI with East Tennessee St but suffered an ACL injury before the season and opted for a gap year with East Tennessee St saving his scholarship for the next (2020) season. Instead he enrolled at North Carolina Central, where he’s from, but they cancelled their 2020 season because of Covid. He then transferred from North Carolina Central to Kent St in Ohio for the 2021 and 2022 season. It was in 2022 when he blew up becoming one of the top receivers in the nation. He opted then to transfer to UNC in 2023. More complicated than usually reported.

Not like the NCAA to stick it to UNC in any real capacity and it would appear they aren't taking it laying down with the Tez Walker ruling...

I don't know much about the Tez Walker situation but certainly shots fired, Bubba-style...

to be fair -- almost everyone agrees this is a stupid ruling
Actually other than the sports casters most posters seem to agree with the decision.
Finally the ncaa are applying the rules evenly to all member schools compared to the past when it was selective.
These rules were voted by all member schools not the ncaa. They are being enforced by the ncaa.
NC is upset their player they expected to be their number one wide out was declared ineligible. To bad.
Billis (sp) is accusing the ncaa about not caring about mental health of the athlete. How? The player gets to go to school, be with his team and get the mental health services he is claiming he needs without the added stress of playing in the games. It allows him to focus on his mental health issues and family right now without worrying about competing for a spot, breaking down game film and learning new plays which would add additional stress to him at this time.
Because he was ruled ineligible for the season so we will never know but it would have been interesting if he was cleared and had a great season would he have left after the season to prep for the nfl. In that situation he no longer would have the support of the school and the community to address his mental health concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom