the tony bennett face | Syracusefan.com

the tony bennett face

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
This is when i knew the game was over. "Richardson has gone mad!", immediately followed by this shot. Tony bennett was freakin shell shocked, terrible job by him.

ForumRunner_20160329_111027.png

I like him and think he's a great coach but yes at the time I was thinking this face is going to be a meme.

I actually feel bad for the guy. So glad we got the W and did it with the odds stacked against us while having to play almost a perfect half of basketball.

I don't believe the clapsed at all, we just played unreal basketball the second half. One of the best halves I've ever seen a team play.

two3zone said:
I actually feel bad for the guy. So glad we got the W and did it with the odds stacked against us while having to play almost a perfect half of basketball.

I don't believe the clapsed at all, we just played unreal basketball the second half. One of the best halves I've ever seen a team play.

I wouldnt say they collapsed but bennett did a terrible job during that run. They were rattled and he never settled them down.

I think Bennett is a very good coach who has thus far built a good program at UVA. Great coach is a bit early for me because at some point you do need to break through deep into the post season. That said its much much harder to do that in the NCAAT than most fans seem to think. The guy seems like a class act, is well spoken and for the most part the kids in his program seem to reflect that. So I felt sort of bad for him. There were some things he could do but the bottom line was that SU had one of the greatest 8min stretches of college bball you will see while his team managed to miss a few opportunities and make a few turnovers during that same stretch. Yes he was out coached by a HOF coach but also his players were out played and out executed by ours. He looks shell shocked because he was and that has never happened to one of his teams at UVA ever to that point. For it to happen with such a strong squad on that stage was surely shocking to him.

He's a good coach and a class act. Virginia is better than UNC IMO, they scared the crap out of me. It was just a terrible 4 minute stretch for UVA that reminded me of our stretch against UL in the BE tourney championship a few years ago. Shock and awe, we just happened to be on the right side of it. We all know what happened after Louisville went on that run, they never looked back. Let's hope the same for Cuse. Cooney and G are bound to have good shooting games, and Carolina OU and Nova are bound to cool down. Law of average right?

I wouldnt say they collapsed but bennett did a terrible job during that run. They were rattled and he never settled them down.

I don't think they were ready for the adjustments on either end of the floor. I'm not even sure they were rattled but more along the lines of, wait, we can't play defense like we did in the first because they're giving us something different, and on the other end, we can't get the same shots off like we did in the first.

JB is a great great coach, but this is one of the first times I've seen him, or any coach, make adjustments like this to make a superior team just seem lost and innefective in such a short period of time.

This is when i knew the game was over. "Richardson has gone mad!", immediately followed by this shot. Tony bennett was freakin shell shocked, terrible job by him.

View attachment 58754
He had the best defender in the ACC guarding our freshman. MR was in a zone that freakin Michael Jordan couldn't have done anything about. How is that a bad job by Tony Bennett? Are you just not going to give our team credit like everybody else outside of our true fan-base? GEEZ!

He had the best defender in the ACC guarding our freshman. MR was in a zone that freakin Michael Jordan couldn't have done anything about. How is that a bad job by Tony Bennett? Are you just not going to give our team credit like everybody else outside of our true fan-base? GEEZ!

He could have doubled and forced Mal to pass but it really got away from them so quickly and its tough to double on a deep iso. Plus there is no guarantee that the double wouldn't have left us with another easy shot. Its hard to fault a coach for putting the ACCDPOY on Mal and letting it play out. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat. JB going to that spread iso offense was great because when we did beat them off the dribble the lane wasn't nearly as clogged and Lydon was almost always dragging either Toby or Gill away from the basket. In the first half on the ball screen offense we were driving into traffic just the way they wanted us to.

View attachment 58754

i strongly disagree w this sentiment. i think bennett had a good plan and stuck to it. the players failed to execute on only a few plays and we caught fire. it happens. i must say however tony bennett seems like a class act. i dont get why were thumping our chest by insulting our opponent we just beat. the other post saying tony bennett is overrated is just stupid.

parrantes on the other hand, F him and his stinky finger.

It's right to focus on the press messing everything up for UVA by speeding them right up, but I agree there wasn't much that Bennett was going to give his guys to stop Mal's offense in that 5 min stretch. He made the best defender in the conference look like a JV scout defender simply by hitting on a full assortment of NBA offensive moves.

I do think Bennett can be blamed for never adjusting back to the obvious adjustments Boeheim made with the offense overall. UVA was ready to defend the top pick and roll, and were in front of and hedging those moves for the entire first half. SU stopped doing that, started scoring better, and UVA never adjusted back.

Their inexplicable inability to finish what should be easy fast breaks during those press stretches doesn't really sit on the coach, for me.

Bennett absolutely deserves blame for the loss, but I think attaching that blame to that one stretch where Mal was otherworldly and his team missed layups is a bit misguided.

Caption: "What the hell just happened?"

Or "I knew I should have punched that gesticulating walk-on straight in the face before halftime."

View attachment 58754

It's literally right after that shot of Bennett that TBS cuts to a shot of CuseTroop going mad as well. He has his hat off and his hands on his head in joyous disbelief.

I think he got a little shell shocked but I don't think he did anything egregious to label him as a lesser coach. His kids failed to execute some break away opportunities, and the player of the year who carried them all season had a poor game (and again Gill at less than 100% impacted that team). He used his TO"s leaving him short when he could have used another re-set but you can't question any of his earlier TO's. If they take advantage of Mike's insane missed 3 does he get smarter? Players making plays...or in their case thankfully Sunday, not making plays.

I agree. I'm not sure what he could have done. They could have broken the press and reset their offense but I really think they needed to score on all of those plays at the basket. They only thing they did a lot that I don't like is throwing over the top of the press. To me that is really dangerous because the ball is in the air for a long time and you are leading people. That is what lead to the Mali throw off Brogdon and then the Lydon 3 which was 6 points in like 10 seconds and what I think really shocked them. If a team is a really good passing team with multiple ball handlers like UVA I would pass my way out of it instead of throwing football passes over the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom