The transition from Dungey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The transition from Dungey

There will be a transition but the coaches will change things to optimize the scheme to the talent. Not sure if we hit 10 wins next year but we have the best skill talent now in a very long time around the QB.
I completely agree with this.

I don’t necessarily think it’s fair to Tommy to expect a more productive offense right off the bat with 3 OL walking out the door. But he is very talented and the coaches will absolutely adjust to his strengths, so anything’s possible.

I still think 7/8 regular season wins is a great start and anything more would be gravy for me.

How quickly everyone forgets about NotreDame. We will feel the loss of Dungey.

I said in another thread that even sone of those who would call themselves Dungey fans don’t fully appreciate what we are losing.

I suspect the transition period will be bumpy.

I completely agree with this.

I don’t necessarily think it’s fair to Tommy to expect a more productive offense right off the bat with 3 OL walking out the door. But he is very talented and the coaches will absolutely adjust to his strengths, so anything’s possible.

I still think 7/8 regular season wins is a great start and anything more would be gravy for me.

Good post.

Expecting TD to be more productive than a senior Dungey is unrealistic. As you mentioned, a lot of the offensive efficiency next season is going to depend on the play of the OL.

Relative to TD's skill set, I am looking forward what his arm talent will add to the offense. I think decision making under pressure is one area that needs to improve. That can only come with experience. There will be a learning curve.

40 by RBs just seems huge especially since expect more passing and less rushing

But we will see
The ratio will probably be the same, just less rushing by the QB and more by the rb's.

That was a fluke. Not that we win regardless but the game was to big for the kids at the time and maybe the coaches too. They learned from it and doubt the next one like that will be “to big”.

Good thread. ND still overmatched us in the trenches that day. Not sure how much Dungey could’ve done.

Depends on the OL. However, DeVito will have the best collection of skill players around him since McNabb. I suspect ‘managing the game’ will still yield some big numbers.

I disagree. For the most part, despite the great numbers, i think most would agree that the offense under performed. It's pretty amazing we were successful as we were offensively because at times things just didn't seem to be running smoothly. I think a lot of that falls back to Dungey's inconsistently passing the ball. With Devito I think we will see an expanded playbook and most importantly much more practicing on getting the ball out quickly to negate any OL deficiencies. Also, a lot of times Eric would look at the primary receiver and if he wasn't over he'd hold the ball too long and get sacked/pressured/flushed. Devito will work his progressions. I expect to see a much different offense and one that is more explosive and bigger numbers. The playmakers he will have at his disposal will also help lessen the blow. I think many here have commented on how there is meat left on the bone. I expect Devito and a new look offense to start to nibble into that extra meat and take this offense to the next level. Really in no way do I see this offense taking a step back. There just isn't any way I can currently envision that. I love Eric and what he did for the program, but with the playmakers we will have, and a better pure passer, this offense is ready to explode.

I think DeVito is going to have a substantially better WR core. Sophomore Taj Harris, Trishton Jackson, Riley/Nykeim, Ed Hendrix who was arguably our best recruit last year and I think we’ll see an upperclassman that will be added that will impact the 2 deep. Add Abdul Adams and a now experienced Hackett to the mix. I expect the skill positions on offense to be better for him than this year. Biggest question is the OL and how we fill in the gaps.

Good thread. ND still overmatched us in the trenches that day. Not sure how much Dungey could’ve done.

Depends on the OL. However, DeVito will have the best collection of skill players around him since McNabb. I suspect ‘managing the game’ will still yield some big numbers.

Yep. If we can manage a high end grad transfer OT, then I think the offensive first team next year literally won’t have much in the way of weaknesses. My biggest concern is the OL and protecting the QB if the depth chart stands pat.

TD made the one bad throw on the int down field. Johnson also dropped a perfect TD pass on the first throw.

He also hit the WR in the hands on the takeaway that ended up at the 9. Once they took it in and made it 20-0, we became one-dimensional and their DL ate out OL for lunch. That performance was hardly on TD. He had no shot in the second half.

Just an opinion, but DeVito is being overrated, by some. I'm not going to put that pressure on him. He's not a war horse, yet...

if the oline is solid he has a shot.. he wont save plays from nothing. he may well create more big plays with better throwing though. still think the oline has a ton of improvement to get to where we want to be.

I think the offense can go bonkers next year.

The WR will be mega-upgraded with playmakers at depth.

RB will have the most playmaking ability we've seen in awhile with a smooth Neal, home-run hittter in Adams and hopefully, Howard can be the goal line/4th quarter bruiser.

OL likely won't be as good.

And QB...I suspect DeVito is the QB most capable of running Dino's offense in the purest form. Plus the Florida State and NC situations will have him more prepared.

The offense will benefit from having more lethal weapons at the playmaker position, and DeVito seems so suited for it. No one will likely ever have the same grit, ol' school toughness as #2, but this should be the premier rendition of what Dino wanted to construct when he rolled out #orangeisthenewfast.

I think the offense can go bonkers next year.

The WR will be mega-upgraded with playmakers at depth.

RB will have the most playmaking ability we've seen in awhile with a smooth Neal, home-run hittter in Adams and hopefully, Howard can be the goal line/4th quarter bruiser.

OL likely won't be as good.

And QB...I suspect DeVito is the QB most capable of running Dino's offense in the purest form. Plus the Florida State and NC situations will have him more prepared.

The offense will benefit from having more lethal weapons at the playmaker position, and DeVito seems so suited for it. No one will likely ever have the same grit, ol' school toughness as #2, but this should be the premier rendition of what Dino wanted to construct when he rolled out #orangeisthenewfast.
Dino has been in the ACC for 3 years, he has adjusted to the defenses that our conference has. I believe that Dino has changed his offense every year he has been here, and will continue to do so.

There will be ways that we miss him.

But the ND game is the least of my worries. One could easily bring up the FSU and UNC games if they were so inclined.

DeVito has never even had one game week to prepare as starter. It’s unfair to make any negative judgements when that hasn’t happened.

Let's not forget that after losing to Clemson and Pitt and getting handled by UNC, it was Devito who literally saved the season with a brilliant clutch performance. If anyone has any doubt what we have go back and look at that game.

Had we lost three in-a-row who knows what the rest of the season would have been.

TD is the real deal. We won't miss a beat.

I love Dungey. LOVE HIM. But his arm, compared to TD, is night and day. I don’t remember the McNabb era too well, I’m too young, but since I can remember have never seen a release like Tommy’s. What worries me about the transition, is losing Dungey’s ability to improvise. The line has to be STOUT, for Tommy to thrive. Like Julian Wigham said, Tommy needs perfect conditions.

It’s funny, because when JW, first said that I was a little... Idk, offended? I thought he meant he wasn’t good enough to be good without it. But then I started to realize what he meant. He didn’t mean like, everything needs to be PERFECT for him to thrive, like he’s incapable of being great without help. I think what he meant is that it needs to be traditionally sound. Line has to be consistently good, like it has to be in successful traditional offenses (even though we don’t have a traditional offense). That Tommy can’t be running around making “super hero” type plays like Dungey in the Camping bowl with moe.

I think it all rests on the line. Everything else, I feel confident about. Trishton Jackson’s TD catch, Taj’s emergence as a legit ACC WR and Adams/Moe/Howard running. A lot be excited about.

Tommy is the highest rated kid Dino has had to start.
The line will play an important part in Tommy’s success, but we can also put in throws that Dungey might not have been able to make all the time and didn’t need to make due to his legs.
Look if Dino got a “fat”pirate to have this offense humming I see no reason why Tommy can’t have a record breaking season.
Oh and we have some major depth at RB and WR. ALOT more tools for Tommy to use.

The line is not going to be silly putty. It will be competitive and may surprise us, especially as the year unfolds.
Experience is good but talent can be better. The oline may be better than any of us think.

The line is not going to be silly putty. It will be competitive and may surprise us, especially as the year unfolds.
Experience is good but talent can be better. The oline may be better than any of us think.
Hopefully, but there’s always the other side of the unknown as well.

There will be ways that we miss him.

But the ND game is the least of my worries. One could easily bring up the FSU and UNC games if they were so inclined.

DeVito has never even had one game week to prepare as starter. It’s unfair to make any negative judgements when that hasn’t happened.

There’s never going to be another Eric Dungey at Syracuse. But I have a feeling that we’re going to be saying there will never be anyone like Tommy or Chance when their careers are over.

Also, watch Eric’s press conference and see how excited he is for the future of the program. Listen to Dino. Seems like the entire program is excited for next year. They’re just getting started.

Tommy is the highest rated kid Dino has had to start.
The line will play an important part in Tommy’s success, but we can also put in throws that Dungey might not have been able to make all the time and didn’t need to make due to his legs.
Look if Dino got a “fat”pirate to have this offense humming I see no reason why Tommy can’t have a record breaking season.
Oh and we have some major depth at RB and WR. ALOT more tools for Tommy to use.

Tommy has a lightning fast release there are a lot of things we are going to be able to do with him at the helm.

Trucking LBs isn't one of them though. He was pretty fast when he ran and was pretty tough lowering his helmet to pick up extra yards but we need him to go away from that as much as possible. The offense is going to be fun to watch.

Injury and the unsettled QB2 position is a concern for next year IMO as the back up has played a very large amount each of the last 5-6 years. Sounds like Welch has a leg up on the QB2 competition. Wonder how well he moves because a big QB who can run does work well in Dinos system.

Let's not forget that after losing to Clemson and Pitt and getting handled by UNC, it was Devito who literally saved the season with a brilliant clutch performance. If anyone has any doubt what we have go back and look at that game.

Had we lost three in-a-row who knows what the rest of the season would have been.

TD is the real deal. We won't miss a beat.
I think the transition will be toward greater balance in offensive responsibility. Eric took on a lot, filling voids and paying the price. Hopefully our running game is stronger, giving TD better opportunities to throw and letting Coach Babers get closer to his ideal offense. TD is the passer he needs to compliment the RB' s we'll have. Good times ahead if the O-line continues strong play...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom