The Upside and the Downside - Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Upside and the Downside - Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Most games are short stories. This game was a novel. I think every player had some upsides and downsides. It was hard to separate them so I decided not to. I’ll put it all in one post.

- Michael Gbinije might be the best player in the league. And he had 16 points with 3 assists and 3 steals in this game. But, despite being 6-7, he got no rebounds and his last field goal was with 16:09 left in the second half.

- Of course we scored only 7 field goals in the second half as a team. We got off only 18 shots compared to 27 for Tech, despite being even on the boards in that half, (14-14) and +1 in turnovers, (6-5). We had 12 assists in the first half. Three in the second. A lot of that can be attributed to the Georgia Tech defense, who really stepped it up after halftime.

- Both teams have a reputation for letting games slip away from them down the stretch and I was wondering which team would do it here. Neither did, or maybe they both did. It looked like our foul shooting was going to be the culprit. We missed 9 of 21 foul shots after missing only 1 of 16 vs. Notre Dame. Mal Richardson was the worst offender at 4 for 8, (he’s normally 70%), but Tyler Roberson, (a 52% guy) added in an 0 for 2- and they weren’t close. Dajuan Coleman sank two frees at 16:29. We then had a 3 for 8 stretch, including three misses of the front end of one and ones, until Mal decided it was time to end this thing and made two frees with 3 seconds left, (and even that didn’t quite end it).

- The two R’s, Roberson and Richardson continued to rebound aggressively, getting 8 and 7, respectively. Tech is a strong rebounding team with guys who were described by Matt Park and Jim Satalin as looking like football players. Jacobs is 6-8 260, Lammers 6-10 240, Mitchell 6-8 270. But we were only out-rebounded by 5, close enough for us to stay in the game.

- Coleman had a nice offensive first half, making some good moves inside to score 11 points on 4 of 5 shooting. But he grabbed only 3 rebounds and the good positional defense he was playing against Notre Dame and Jacobs and Lammers scored 24 points between them. DC didn’t even attempt a shot in the second half, in part because he was in foul trouble from several touch fouls that got called on him, including the one that expelled him from the game with 6:11 left.

- Trevor Cooney looked dazzling early in the game, scoring 7 points in the first 10:16. He was 0 for 6 the rest of the game. Good Trevor and bad Trevor. But the guys’ a senior and we need to see the good Trevor the res tof the way. JB said he might have been affected by the short turnaround and the impact it might have had on his legs. Fatigue, JB?

- Franklin Howard had the best game of his young career, passing for 6 assists and getting three rebounds in 14 minutes. One assist was a no-look pass to Coleman and an other went through the entire defense to Roberson on the baseline, the sort of thing Leo Rautins used to do with Santifer and Bruin back in the day. He only scored one point and missed his only shot, a 10 footer with 4 seconds on the shot clock. JB immediately jumped in the air and sent Cooney back in to replace him, then complained about Frank's taking the shot in the presser. I didn't think it was a bad shot. The shot clock was winding down and even a pass first point guard has do something to make the defense guard him to set up the passes. You don't want players afraid to shoot the ball when they have an open, makeable shot.

- Tyler Lydon seemed to have returned to his Bahamas form. He did hit two threes to end the first half. Like Cooney, he was shut out in the second half, 0 for 3. The tentativeness returned, as he several times pump faked on an open jumper and either passed the ball or drove to attempt a better-defended shot.

- That last one looked in all the way. It was certainly on-line. But it just didn’t quite get there.

- The referees were totally incompetent. Not biased, just incompetent. Several tiems Park and Satalin commented that they seemed to be making calls based on what they assumed was happening instead of what actually happened. There seemed to be make-=up calls. But in the second half, the wheels totally fell off. Michel Gbinije was nearly decapitated, no call. The refs let the game go on with G-Man writhing on the floor, then stopped it, then started it, then stopped it, talking a couple of looks at the monitor in between. Later they left a Tech player behind in the same situation. A couple of times in the late going they seemed to single that the ball belonged to Syracuse, then reversed themselves and reversed themselves again. The second half was played in a chorus of boos. I don’t think anyone had any respect for that crew by the time the game ended.

- Can anyone explain the difference between an intentional foul, an unintentional foul, a strategic foul and a play that isn’t a foul because of “incidental contact”? I didn’t think so.

- I was disappointed in the halftime ceremony for the ’75 team. They had a couple of pre-recorded sentences form J , the introductions, a team picture, (a couple of guys are deceased), and then they walked off the court because it was time for the lame half-time contests. How about a 5-10 minute documentary on that season with some sound bites from some of the players and coaches? Most of the people in the Dome were probably born after that season and they may not realize the significance of what they were seeing. That run to the Final Four did for the basketball program what the Nebraska game did for the football program the next decade.

- And if you want to know what that ’75 season was like, it was like this game.

- Roy Danforth sure has a good tan.

15-8 (5-5) with 9+ to go…and only 2 more wins needed to guarantee our 46th consecutive winning season!

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
"and only 2 more wins needed to guarantee our 46th consecutive winning season!"

You were worried there for a while, weren't you?

"and only 2 more wins needed to guarantee our 46th consecutive winning season!"

You were worried there for a while, weren't you?

Until that final shot hit the front rim.

SU does not seem to do honoring ceremonies well. No one can spell, not enough time given, poorly thought out, I don't know. At least the last game for our seniors is at 2:00 on a Saturday. I sure hope the crowd comes out and the university gives them enough time.

One exception was Gerry's senior night. They allotted plenty of time for that, and I remember the school kids from Scranton singing "McNamara's Band." And Gerry crying. That was well done.

Until that final shot hit the front rim.

True, Briancuse, but I was referring to 2 more wins to ensure a winning season. Before the Wake Forest game some of us weren't feeling certain about getting to 17 wins.

True, Briancuse, but I was referring to 2 more wins to ensure a winning season. Before the Wake Forest game some of us weren't feeling certain about getting to 17 wins.

I had a bad feeling in my stomach about todays game, glad we made enough plays to pull it out.

I'll keep counting until we get to 17 and then we can all celebrate. Then we set our sights on enough wins to make the Big Dance.

SU does not seem to do honoring ceremonies well. No one can spell, not enough time given, poorly thought out, I don't know. At least the last game for our seniors is at 2:00 on a Saturday. I sure hope the crowd comes out and the university gives them enough time.

One exception was Gerry's senior night. They allotted plenty of time for that, and I remember the school kids from Scranton singing "McNamara's Band." And Gerry crying. That was well done.

The SU band should have made that and "Mack the Knife" part of their repertoire in the GMAC Era and played McNamrara's Band after a big GMAC run and Mack the Knife when he hit a 'dagger' shot.

(The famous chorus is at 1:12)

I'll keep counting until we get to 17 and then we can all celebrate. Then we set our sights on enough wins to make the Big Dance.
You're just being stubborn now. This is not something we celebrate, it is something we acknowledge.

This team has potential but some warts, making it into the NCAAT was a reasonable goal from the start of the season.

You owe the radio show host an apology.

You can't combine the Upside and Downside!!!! You just can't!

I have a system that requires me to read the Downside first and then read the Upside so I retain a positive attitude.

Other than that it is a very good summary once again.

Thank You

I think a down side is the stint by Hop is really starting to stand out -in a bad way.

I think a down side is the stint by Hop is really starting to stand out -in a bad way.
I would not put much into Hop's stint. Not his team, not his recruits. We also have no idea what systems he will use on "O" and "D". I realize he will use a lot of zone but how much only time will tell. He does need to look at his games and his demeanor vs what JB does. He doesn't have go nuts but he needs to show the fire he displayed as a player.

You're just being stubborn now. This is not something we celebrate, it is something we acknowledge.

This team has potential but some warts, making it into the NCAAT was a reasonable goal from the start of the season.

You owe the radio show host an apology.

I see no reason not to have fun celebrating achievements when they happen. There was a very real question about whether this team could achieve this. Now that they are doing it we should all be happy about it, not ignore it.

As to that radio host, he won't be hearing from me at all. I patronize the businesses that act as if they want me as a customer.

I would not put much into Hop's stint. Not his team, not his recruits. We also have no idea what systems he will use on "O" and "D". I realize he will use a lot of zone but how much only time will tell. He does need to look at his games and his demeanor vs what JB does. He doesn't have go nuts but he needs to show the fire he displayed as a player.

I don't think this "stint" by Hop means any more than the stint in 2001 when he was really running the team when JB had his operation.

You can't combine the Upside and Downside!!!! You just can't!

I have a system that requires me to read the Downside first and then read the Upside so I retain a positive attitude.

Other than that it is a very good summary once again.

Thank You

I just couldn't separate them!

_67053068_3292770.jpg

-

It looked like our foul shooting was going to be the culprit. We missed 9 of 21 foul shots after missing only 1 of 16 vs. Notre Dame. Mal Richardson was the worst offender at 4 for 8, (he’s normally 70%), but Tyler Roberson, (a 52% guy) added in an 0 for 2- and they weren’t close. Dajuan Coleman sank two frees at 16:29. We then had a 3 for 8 stretch, including three misses of the front end of one and ones, until Mal decided it was time to end this thing and made two frees with 3 seconds left, (and even that didn’t quite end it).
LET’S GO ORANGE!

At least 2 of the misses late in the game were the front ends of 1-and-1s, which only makes the misses worse. Those situations always bring back memories of Coleman vs Indiana at the end of the '87 NC game.

" JB said he might have been affected by the short turnaround..."

IMPOSSIBLE!
players today don't get tired. (g) and cooney just got plain lazy in the second half. like too lazy to create 2 threads.

Last edited:
I see no reason not to have fun celebrating achievements when they happen. There was a very real question about whether this team could achieve this. Now that they are doing it we should all be happy about it, not ignore it.

As to that radio host, he won't be hearing from me at all. I patronize the businesses that act as if they want me as a customer.
What radio show host? I have missed something here, something on the "inside." I want to be on the inside! That's the only reason I come here.

You must be kidding. This is ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom